What is the BEST thing you spent money on?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
heyyou

Re: What is the BEST thing you spent money on?

Post by heyyou »

My first knapsack helped me to walk further into the backcountry, beyond where the two-track dirt roads ended.

Buying known-to-be reliable, used vehicles helped me to retire earlier.

In retirement, ultralight backpacking gear and using a hammock when camping, extended my years of comfortable backpacking trips.

Delayed SS and a dozen annual Roth conversions prompted by advice from Bogleheads, have boosted my financial comfort in retirement, now (past my 60s) with low growth bond funds fitting into the TIRA, and stock index funds in the RIRA.

Visiting the Big Island of Hawaii annually when the lava was flowing, a decade ago, was a special experience for us rock hounds. At night we could walk past the daytime-only guard station to poke a long pole into the liquid, glowing red lava. Yes, any exposed skin would get "sun-burned" from the heat, so we had to cover up which also protected us if we stumbled on the midnight, long hike across the recently congealed lava.
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

Shalom Aleichem wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:22 pm I just bought a sonos sound system but it hasn’t arrived yet. I’m hoping it’s great.
I was going to say...outfitting our whole house and yard with Sonos speakers has been one of the more extravagant things I’ve splurged on (slowly over a couple years) that I definitely didn’t need, but I’m a total fanboy of the setup we have. Worth every penny to me. Especially now that I’m working mostly from home, we use it basically all day every day (very musical household).

To be able to walk anywhere in our house, garage, yard/patio...even the bathroom (my wife’s demand, she loves shower tunes)...and just have music playing is wonderful. Add in Alexa/Google voice control for Spotify and we were just giddy. Working around the house, playing with the kids, the TV setup for movies, music everywhere when we entertain...it’s just a great thing.

What setup did you go with?
moruobai

Post by moruobai »

What a great thread!!

For me it was a high-end basketball goal about $1.3k in total including installation. Glass backboard, padding, rim bends and flexes, and I can lower it to 9' to dunk :D

Play all the freakin' time!! Massive consumer surplus.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Shalom Aleichem wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:55 am I saw I think WillThrill (?) bought an RV...
It crossed my mind to buy an Airstream and use a truck to drive around the national parks. Anyone have an Airstream? I read that one horror story online but would be interested in people who RV what they think. I don't really know anything about it, but I'd like to do some camping trips or camping style trips (real camping or RV camping - haven't decided yet). I would lean toward a separate trailer rather than a real RV because I could use the truck for a truck and leave the trailer (Airstream or whatever) when I am not RV'ing. I know I have to do my own research - I don't even know where you can park these things, and how you hook them up when you do park them. Is this a "thing" for anyone here? I would assume you would recommend renting for a trip or two before buying. I looked at Airstream online and they just look SO COOL!
If you’re interested in this topic, search the threads. A lot has already been said. If you still have questions, start a new bread specifically about that to get the RVers attention.

My gut reaction is that National park hopping in an RV is awesome, but an Airstream trailer and truck is probably not the right equipment. But like I said, if you’re really Interested, start a separate thread and get some discussion going.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

10 years ago, my husband and I bought a little winter home in Florida. It is just a park model with a 12' x 38' side room. It is in a 55+ active community. We have made so many new friends from the USA and Canada. New friends from afar, means we need to travel in the summer for visits.

Best wishes,
Lily
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:38 am Marying my wife after 35 years of marriage in a quiet small church ceremony with family, children, grandchildren, etc.

We were both so busy in our early years and money was very tight so marriage was what we could fit in on a lunch break. I wanted a “do-over”. We both felt silly like young newlyweds. Priceless and cost was pennies.

j🌺
This reminds me of my mother and father's wedding ceremony. My mother was a school teacher, and they did not want a big, fancy wedding. They were married on my mother's lunch break one day. True story.
“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” —Will Rogers
Fat Tails

Post by Fat Tails »

Interesting first-world thread.

IPad
Our rescue dog and cat
Greece and Italy vacation when our kids were old enough to remember it
Great mattress, seemed very expensive at the time, but over the years has been well worth it.
Henkel’s pro french knife.
(Not in any particular order)

:beer
“It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.” ― Yogi Berra
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

When we had retirement jobs in Madison WI we bought a condo in the River North section of Chicago. A 2+2 on the 18th floor with a spectacular view. We used it two or three weekends a month leaving Friday after work and coming back on Sunday. We spent a few thousand upgrading some of the furniture and lighting.

We loved it. Chicago was great; theater, restaurants, museums, shopping, and just walking around. When we get there on Friday night I’d walk over to one of the Lettuce Entertain You restaurants, usually the Wildfire, and bring something back along with a bottle of Prosecco. Sometimes I walk a couple of blocks and pick up a pizza from Lou Malnati’s and a bottle of wine from Binny’s.

It was so much fun even though it didn’t seem to make financial sense at the time. When we moved south we sold it and actually, much to our surprise, made a profit. It sold the same week it was listed.

Now In our late 70s I think that was the best thing we spent our money on. Of course that doesn’t include 17 years of private school and university for our son.
CrossOverGuy

Post by CrossOverGuy »

Tickets to live events:

Some famous names I’ve had the pleasure of seeing over the years:

Theater: Gwen Verdon, Chita Rivera, Julie Andrews, Jerry Orbach, Anthony Perkins, Hume Cronyn, Jessica Tandy, Shirley MacLaine, Maureen Stapleton, Glenn Close, Meryl Streep, Ian McKellen, Jim Dale, Carol Channing, Madeline Kahn, Kevin Kline, John Cullum, Imogene Coca, Audra McDonald, Bernadette Peters, Patti LuPone, Elaine Paige, Pearl Bailey, Elaine Stritch, Rosemary Harris, Joel Grey, Derek Jacobi, Maggie Smith, Michael Crawford, Nathan Lane, Ellen Burstyn, Angela Lansbury, Donald O’Connor, Len Cariou, Glynis Johns, Hermione Gingold, Donna McKechnie, Lauren Bacall, etc.

Opera: Luciano Pavarotti, Leontyne Price, Placido Domingo, Kiri Te Kanawa, Jose Carreras, Kathleen Battle, Frederica von Stade, Carlo Bergonzi, Sherrill Milnes, Joan Sutherland, Mariella Devia, Neil Shicoff, Marilyn Horne, Samuel Ramey, Beverly Sills, Shirley Verrett, Grace Bumbry, etc

Ballet: Mikail Baryshnikov, Rudolph Nureyev, Gelsey Kirkland etc.

Concert: Barbra Streisand, Paul McCartney, Billy Joel, Bette Midler, Earth Wind & Fire, The Beach Boys, Chicago, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, Linda Rondstadt, Dionne Warwick, Neil Sedaka, Brenda Lee, Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme, Cyndi Lauper, etc.
Last edited by CrossOverGuy on Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Shalom Aleichem

Post by Shalom Aleichem »

guitarguy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:27 pm
Shalom Aleichem wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:22 pm I just bought a sonos sound system but it hasn’t arrived yet. I’m hoping it’s great.
I was going to say...outfitting our whole house and yard with Sonos speakers has been one of the more extravagant things I’ve splurged on (slowly over a couple years) that I definitely didn’t need, but I’m a total fanboy of the setup we have. Worth every penny to me. Especially now that I’m working mostly from home, we use it basically all day every day (very musical household).

To be able to walk anywhere in our house, garage, yard/patio...even the bathroom (my wife’s demand, she loves shower tunes)...and just have music playing is wonderful. Add in Alexa/Google voice control for Spotify and we were just giddy. Working around the house, playing with the kids, the TV setup for movies, music everywhere when we entertain...it’s just a great thing.

HI!

We have never really been a TV watching family. My one daughter the last few years (as apparently nearly all teenagers) got into manga and anime. So our "thing" now is we sit on a bean bag and read manga and sit on another bean bag and watch anime, maybe a couple episodes when we are together. It's something we like to talk about together. I have a very old Vizio TV, maybe 36", in the kitchen in an inconvenient place specifically placed there to discourage watching. No cable but we have "free" Netflix and Hulu from our cell service which is how we watch. I just bought I think a 55" OLED LG from Costco that is waiting to be mounted, then the Sonos Arc, 2 SonosOne speakers for surround, and the subwoofer. I have two old Play:3 speakers that hopefully I can hook up to the TV for full surround. Then I thought in for an ounce, in for a pound, and bought a few Sonos Five's to put around the house.

One problem I find with the Sonos is the app interface is not as easy as I'd like. Is there a way to get music up effortlessly? The app seems a little clunky.
wander

Post by wander »

The BEST thing I spent money on is buying index funds. While buying things will likely lose value overtime, investing index funds is multiplied over the years and helps me to retire. Without investing index fund, my money may help making bank CEO richers but I won't be able to retire anytime soon.
shell921

Post by shell921 »

index funds
original art
well made furniture
high quality shutters/ drapes
Vitamix
waterless cookware
high end fixtures & finishes in 2 custom homes
rescue dogs and cats
vacations
Great mattresses
steam shower
therapeutic massage - on regular basis
plastic surgery
good shoes/ handbags
high quality linens/towels
organic produce
therapy
haircuts
permport

Post by permport »

My college education. Nothing else in my life has even come close.
Buy right and hold tight.
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

Shalom Aleichem wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:15 pm

HI!

We have never really been a TV watching family. My one daughter the last few years (as apparently nearly all teenagers) got into manga and anime. So our "thing" now is we sit on a bean bag and read manga and sit on another bean bag and watch anime, maybe a couple episodes when we are together. It's something we like to talk about together. I have a very old Vizio TV, maybe 36", in the kitchen in an inconvenient place specifically placed there to discourage watching. No cable but we have "free" Netflix and Hulu from our cell service which is how we watch. I just bought I think a 55" OLED LG from Costco that is waiting to be mounted, then the Sonos Arc, 2 SonosOne speakers for surround, and the subwoofer. I have two old Play:3 speakers that hopefully I can hook up to the TV for full surround. Then I thought in for an ounce, in for a pound, and bought a few Sonos Five's to put around the house.

One problem I find with the Sonos is the app interface is not as easy as I'd like. Is there a way to get music up effortlessly? The app seems a little clunky.
So one issue you’ll run into with the app is the two different versions...S1 vs S2. Which one do you have? You may run into an issue with the older Play:3 speakers...I don’t think that they’re compatible with the newer S2 platform whereas everything else is. And newer stuff like the Arc won’t run on S1. So you have kind of an annoying situation there.

You won’t need to (nor be able to) use the Play:3s as an addition to your TV surround system either. They won’t be able to sync up that way. But I doubt you’ll be unimpressed with the system without them!

I don’t really find the S2 app to be clunky at all...in fact I find it works pretty great 99% of the time. I also felt the same with S1 though...so I don’t think it’s the version that’s holding you back.

One huge addition I added to my system was a “Boost” which runs off your router and creates a mesh subnetwork for all the speakers to run on...MUCH better than relying on (and eating up bandwidth on) your WiFi network. For $99 it is money well spent, especially as your system grows in size.

Do you have a good music streaming service linked up?

PS...we are the same with no cable...Netflix and Spotify are the only streaming services we pay for. I’m a musician so Spotify (in part) is a tax deduction for me too...bonus!

EDIT: the way to start the music...

1. “Alexa play so and so music”

2. Start in the streaming service and then select your system via airplay. (I agree this can be a bit of a clunky route...but we usually just play music with Alexa.)
vinhodoporto

Post by vinhodoporto »

Travel with our kids.... Before COVID we did an international trip event year. Our kids (teenagers) have been to six continents and 12 countries. The memories and experiences we will never forget. I think it’s given our kids an amazing perspective on the world that they never would have had otherwise.
gubernaculum

Post by gubernaculum »

Best way to spend money? Money that creates memories. Family trips, family gatherings, enabling your children's success, helping others in need. That is the best way to spend money IMO
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

That's known as the "memory dividend" and I agree.
Neus

Post by Neus »

Best:
Education
My kid
Apple’s product
Samsung Smart TV
Oculus Quest 2
Pullup bar

Purchasing mistake which i want but turns out don’t like:
Road bike
Weber grill
Home gym including treadmill
Remember Rule 5: Never try to time the market. Two common timing mistakes: buying yesterday's top performers, and letting your emotions cause you to attempt to predict the direction of the stock market.
A440

Post by A440 »

A Kawai KG-2E 5' 10" Grand piano. I've used it almost every day since purchasing it back in 1988. Still sounds great and actually sells for more than I paid for it.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
JPM

Post by JPM »

Cheap 1970s state university med school tuition.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

1. Apple products. Mac user since 1984, and I have NEVER used Windows. Ugh. Currently, two M1 laptops (transformative!), two iPhones, iPad mini, Apple TV and an Apple router. Couldn't be happier with all this.

2. HP calculators! These paced my career: An HP-35 when I started undergrad studies and the legendary HP-41 got me through grad school. An emulator of the 41 still runs on my iPhone and Mac and I use it every day.

3. Etymotic ear buds. I've had these since the release of the first iPod, so 17 years. I just updated to the ER4XR and they remain that best sound I've ever heard.

4. Cervelo road bike. R5 frame with SRAM etap, zipp wheels, etc. Incredible. I totally dissed electronic shifting....until I used it. The bike, with pedals, GPS, etc is 15 pounds. I have my limits as a rider, but it is not the equipment!

5. Honda scooter and BMW touring bike. Honda Silverwing and 2004 BMW 1150RT. Scooter is 580 cc and easily carries us both around town, and even takes me 100+ miles on interstates on some occasions. The RT is the most awesome multi-day tourer, and since everyone here wants Harleys, I got it for a $3500!!

6. My wife's horse. We board him about 20 miles from the house and she trains and rides him 3-4 times/week. I've never seen anything make her happier.

7. I guess we spent money (and continue to) in order to live in Santa Fe. It does command a premium price, but 300+ days of sun makes it so worthwhile. So much to do here, and you can head out on the motorcycle in any direction and have a glorious day.

And, apart from "stuff" our children. That is by far the biggest "expense" we ever had and it is also the greatest joy in my life.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Neus wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:12 am Best:
Education
My kid
Apple’s product
Samsung Smart TV
Oculus Quest 2
Pullup bar

Road bike
Weber grill
Wow. Thanks for capturing your mistake list.
I like my Weber grill. We make use of the home gym, sometimes. What did you not like about the road bike? I've never had one, but am close to getting one. I wish I could really try out different models for a day ;)
This time next year, we'll be millionaires!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

chuckb84 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:31 am Etymotic ear buds. I've had these since the release of the first iPod, so 17 years. I just updated to the ER4XR and they remain that best sound I've ever heard.
+1. My first pair of ER4 lasted 14 years. I took them along on several international trips. I broke it finally due to my own mishandling. I then bought the ER4XR (extra bass) & ER4SR (studio reference).
Send not to know | For whom the bell tolls | It tolls for thee — John Donne
jef

Post by jef »

1. Giant fast growing evergreen trees that I planted 16 years ago on the property line of a new home being built next to me. The have grown
into a huge hedge 40 feet tall and block the neighbor house entirely.
2. Big green egg smoker also 16 years ago, used at least once a week since then.
3. Stock mutual and then later low cost Vanguard index funds purchased every two weeks in a 401k for past 30 years. Amazing how its grown.
4. New car for my daughter when she received her undergraduate degree.
5. Roomba last Christmas, I haven't vacuumed house since.
6. Full set of crowns for my teeth several years ago that cost a small fortune. I had bad teeth all my life and now have a million dollar smile.
Bayliss

Post by Bayliss »

Kindle Paperwhite 3..... hands down.
brewsky

Post by brewsky »

Bose Noise cancelling over the ear headphones
Another vote for Toto toilet seat Bidet (life changing experience!)
Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4
Gooch1226

Post by Gooch1226 »

zhuyz05 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:46 pm
Gooch1226 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:21 am My air fryer!
which brand would you recommend?
I have a gourmia, anything with a basket in my opinion . They are so cheap . I picked up a 9qt gourmia from Walmart for $50
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

Aqualogix (pool exercise equipment) resistance bells for upper body exercise and water fins for lower body exercise strength training. Sand filled ankle weights. Therabands to preserve full range of motion and strength, plus silicone toe risers for hammer toes. These tools have kept me walking cycling and swimming for years. Including 35 years of ballroom dancing.

I had an acute knee injury at age 13 with extensive soft tissue and ligament damage.

The simplest of tools has allowed me to have a full life, even though I do my own physical therapy nearly every day... For almost 50 years. The most valuable purchases have been those that keep me mobile.
Buddhacab

Post by Buddhacab »

guitarguy wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:50 pm

HI!

So one issue you’ll run into with the app is the two different versions...S1 vs S2. Which one do you have? You may run into an issue with the older Play:3 speakers...I don’t think that they’re compatible with the newer S2 platform whereas everything else is. And newer stuff like the Arc won’t run on S1. So you have kind of an annoying situation there.

You won’t need to (nor be able to) use the Play:3s as an addition to your TV surround system either. They won’t be able to sync up that way. But I doubt you’ll be unimpressed with the system without them!

I don’t really find the S2 app to be clunky at all...in fact I find it works pretty great 99% of the time. I also felt the same with S1 though...so I don’t think it’s the version that’s holding you back.

One huge addition I added to my system was a “Boost” which runs off your router and creates a mesh subnetwork for all the speakers to run on...MUCH better than relying on (and eating up bandwidth on) your WiFi network. For $99 it is money well spent, especially as your system grows in size.

PS...we are the same with no cable...Netflix and Spotify are the only streaming services we pay for. I’m a musician so Spotify (in part) is a tax deduction for me too...bonus!

2. Start in the streaming service and then select your system via airplay. (I agree this can be a bit of a clunky route...but we usually just play music with Alexa.)
RE: You won’t need to (nor be able to) use the Play:3s as an addition to your TV surround system either. They won’t be able to sync up that way. But I doubt you’ll be unimpressed with the system without them!

NOT TRUE in my experience. We use two Play: 3s in our TV Surround system linked with our SONOS Arc.
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

Buddhacab wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:09 am

HI!

RE: You won’t need to (nor be able to) use the Play:3s as an addition to your TV surround system either. They won’t be able to sync up that way. But I doubt you’ll be unimpressed with the system without them!

NOT TRUE in my experience. We use two Play: 3s in our TV Surround system linked with our SONOS Arc.
OP said they wanted to use the Play:3’s plus the two Ones that were purchased for “true surround.” Not sure that you can hook up all that to 1 surround system, as in controlled as 1 unit. Of course you can just play the TV through whatever you want to or on all your speakers if you want..but it doesn’t make it any sort of “true surround” like a traditional 7.1 system or the like.

Do the Play:3’s run on the S2 platform with your Arc? I didn’t think they were compatible due to being older...but that’s cool if they do!
Topic Author
Shalom Aleichem

Buddhacab wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:09 am

HI!

I hope that's right!
So the whole system for now is:

Family room: ARC, Sub, two One's, two Three's.
Dining room: One five.
Sitting room: One five.
Bedroom: One five.
(One five sitting around waiting to see where to go.)
So if the 3's don't sync for surround, I would probably put the fives and the ones with the Arc in the family room and move the three's to the bedroom.

Oh the sub is amazing. I just added it yesterday. Totally changes the personality of the sound.
Buddhacab

Post by Buddhacab »

Now I have not tried the Arc and two Play: 3s AND two Play: 1s - so yes, there may be issues. But it’s worth trying! With your new Sub, you may find the Arc and the Play: 3s all that are necessary. The Arc really does a great job. I think I’d rather have a stereo pair of Play: 1s in one room and combine two of your Play: 5s in another. But whatever sounds best to you and your family is what matters.

I actually have a pair Play: 1 outside on our back patio here in TX. They are under the eaves of our roof so are protected from precipitation. They have done fine in the heat and I usually cover them if I know really cold weather is on the way. But guess what? I forgot to do that during our history-making cold snap in February where it was in the low single digits for close to a week. But they’re fine! Sonos has been a great investment for me that we have really enjoyed.
JOEVANDAL

Post by JOEVANDAL »

2005 SeaRay Select 200. Purchased used in 2011. Great family fun while the kids were young. We are empty nesters now and still enjoy the boat on CDA at least 2 times a week all summer.
AquaBliss

Post by AquaBliss »

BIRD electric scooter for me and my son. We travel all over town with these, and I feel like a kid again. So fun.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

This.

Because I am not a 12 year old carrying books to school.

https://alpine-luddites.myshopify.com/c ... /face-nord

Lunch, water, jacket, ten essentials, camera equipment.

Support local and USA made businesses.
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

If anyone's on the fence about a Roomba/iRobot they are awesome. :)
Neus

Post by Neus »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:09 pm
Neus wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:12 am Best:
Education
My kid
Apple’s product
Samsung Smart TV
Oculus Quest 2
Pullup bar

Road bike
Weber grill
Wow. Thanks for capturing your mistake list.
I like my Weber grill. We make use of the home gym, sometimes. What did you not like about the road bike? I've never had one, but am close to getting one. I wish I could really try out different models for a day ;)
Not much place to go, general road is not safe (i’m on emerging country)

Safety is found on number, makes it not solo sport (i dislike group sport)
Remember Rule 5: Never try to time the market. Two common timing mistakes: buying yesterday's top performers, and letting your emotions cause you to attempt to predict the direction of the stock market.
LFKB

Post by LFKB »

House - love loving in it and has gone up $1.5M in value in 5 years

Country Club - my happy place
bfeenix44

Post by bfeenix44 »

Good quality, comfortable shoes.
Portfolio here: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=345748&p=5936072#p5936072
bstewie

Post by bstewie »

gardening
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

I would say the best thing that I spent money on was getting a stem degree. When I compare my degree mid-career income to others, I make what a manager makes without having any direct reports.

My friend and I had this conversation not too long ago. I thought it was interesting that he said the best thing he ever spent money on was having a prenup. He claims it saved him millions of dollars and allowed him to retire 10 years earlier. If what he is saying is true, its funny how a document can have so much impact on your life.
Topic Author
Shalom Aleichem

Sonos surround

Hi sonos people.
So I finally hooked up the system. It’s amazing. But you can hook at most the arc sub and two surround speakers. So the two extras are not helpful for hone theater. Sad. The threes do work and can be hooked up. I have to see if I can hook up the ones directly to the tv. Otherwise they will have to find another home in the house.
Maya1234

Post by Maya1234 »

Six weeks in Palm Desert this year. We avoided the worst of the Midwest winter while working remotely. We literally got off the plane ( which wasn’t exactly a fun experience....double masked...no eating or drinking....) and said “ why have we never done this before.” Daily walks, sitting at the pool at the house...beautiful meals out of doors ( after a two week- very pleasant when you have a backyard oasis - self quarantine.