Staying at a company after giving notice? (counter-offer)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
tashnewbie

Re: Staying at a company after giving notice? (counter-offer)

Post by tashnewbie »

Also, FYI for the future, I think the better move in your situation would've been to negotiate a higher salary with the $81k job (I would've wanted at least $90k, but you could've countered higher). Then you put in your notice with your current job and leave.
harshabogle

Post by harshabogle »

Pikel wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:22 pm I know people who have stuck around long term after accepting counter offers.

The main thing I noticed with the OP is that they're bored. Which is bad now, and it's bad for long term career prospects. When you are young AND motivated, it is good to move around a few times. You will learn more, have more opportunities to progress, and make more money. You will also come to recognize when it's time to jump ship, or when you're in a good spot.
This to me is key. Sticking around after accepting counter is certainly not unheard of and managers should expect to have to deal with this regularly in a competitive marketplace. And who knows, the manager might have done so themselves :twisted:

Boredom indicates something worth paying attention to, more than the commercial aspect.
Freetime76

Post by Freetime76 »

PeterParker wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:14 am To answer a few questions --

I don't think the current employer would have any hard feelings. I mean a few people are trying to get me to stay. It's a smaller company, about 300 people. I think primarily they don't want to be left in a lurch and think I bring value to the table. Although the company (as a whole) has a history of underpaying people, not just me.

The main reason for leaving was my boss changed last year, and it's been aimless, no solid goals, and in a holding pattern. They have made an earnest attempt to address that and revealed a major project that will change our tech landscape (already in the works).

I'm still hesitant because it's all ideas at this point, and I don't want 6 months down the road to be stagnating, but like I said, they offered a change in some job duties and pay.

The allure of the new place is ---- well it's a smaller company (100) and I feel I can make more impact/ have more autonomy. Also, after so many years at the current place, I do a lot of various maintenance tasks/ garbage collection work and it would be refreshing to cut bait.

I had no expectation whatsoever my current place would try to "keep me" -- so I did accept the new offer in earnest. Yeah I guess I'd be pretty rude to renege on that. But that probably shouldn't be the main concern either. Hmm. I'll still ponder this a bit.
I also held the belief that we employed your for your decision-making capability, I'm not going to question this decision.
Well they say it's always the mechanic that has the trashed car at home. I'm an expert in my work domain not general life decisions. Hah

1. I don’t move backwards after deciding to move forward - for me, if I decide to leave, that is It. If the next job isn’t Nirvana, well, there are other jobs.

2. 5 years is “too long” at one company in the first 3rd (maybe half) of a career. You get less advancement, and there is a benefit to seeing how other teams/companies work - good and bad, you learn from it all. You’ll be better at your job, hence more valuable, with more diverse exposure and experiences.

3. Along with #1, I am not a fan of making a decision twice. If I don’t like the outcome of the new job...then I’ll look again.

4. My grandpa said, “your word is your bond.” So, if I say I’m taking the new job, I am taking it. Doesn’t mean I’ll stay forever, but I will at least give it a shot. Company cultures and management personalities vary, and I can’t control what they think. But, I am responsible for my commitment. I know it won’t “hurt” them - it’s a business decision - it’s just that if I committed, I’m doing it barring some kind of life change/emergency (a few hundred a month for an employer who underpaid me for years doesn’t qualify).
Topic Author
PeterParker

Post by PeterParker »

Yeah good thoughts here. Part of the reason I stayed so long included 1-2 trips to Europe per year. Which were enticing in my youth (still are to an extent) but ah well. Got some good travel out of it.

But yeah I will be going to the new thing, I'm bored, not much motivation at current place, and change is good either way.

As far as "word is bond" type situations --- I would tend to agree, but I didn't swear a blood oath or propose marriage. I've talked to a few individuals for maybe 30 minutes each over there ha.

Maybe if we didn't have "at-will employment" in all 50 states, I would be more inclined towards that mindset.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

PeterParker wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:14 am To answer a few questions --

I don't think the current employer would have any hard feelings. I mean a few people are trying to get me to stay. It's a smaller company, about 300 people. I think primarily they don't want to be left in a lurch and think I bring value to the table. Although the company (as a whole) has a history of underpaying people, not just me.

The main reason for leaving was my boss changed last year, and it's been aimless, no solid goals, and in a holding pattern. They have made an earnest attempt to address that and revealed a major project that will change our tech landscape (already in the works).

I'm still hesitant because it's all ideas at this point, and I don't want 6 months down the road to be stagnating, but like I said, they offered a change in some job duties and pay.

The allure of the new place is ---- well it's a smaller company (100) and I feel I can make more impact/ have more autonomy. Also, after so many years at the current place, I do a lot of various maintenance tasks/ garbage collection work and it would be refreshing to cut bait.

I had no expectation whatsoever my current place would try to "keep me" -- so I did accept the new offer in earnest. Yeah I guess I'd be pretty rude to renege on that. But that probably shouldn't be the main concern either. Hmm. I'll still ponder this a bit.
I also held the belief that we employed your for your decision-making capability, I'm not going to question this decision.
Well they say it's always the mechanic that has the trashed car at home. I'm an expert in my work domain not general life decisions. Hah
The red text is important. Perhaps as part of your staying negotiations, work out a win-win written agreement whereby if you decide to leave, you will give them # months notice and during which time they will continue to employ and pay you and you will continue to do the job (or they can pay you to stay home or travel but not work). In return, they will agree that if they were to decide to lay you off or terminate you, they would provide a severance of # months salary and benefits. The value of # is up to you to negotiate, with # = 1 month per year of service not being uncommon, and with # = 1-3 months being more common for staff with 5 to 15 years of service.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Did not read the other comments, but my thought is you were ready to leave, maybe not for the money but other reasons? And, if they wanted you so badly, why didn't they give you a better raise, etc. earlier, or why did you not ask before? If you love the current job, take the increase and stay, but if not, explore the new option.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

All these comments about “your company isn’t paying you your market rate” aren’t helpful, IMO. Most companies don’t pay long term rank and file employees market rate. You get hired in at X level and $Y compensation and once that happens you are stuck on a track of 3% raises unless you are promoted. It wouldn’t surprise me if you told me you were hired 6 years ago at $65k and received six 3% raises to get to $78k. The fact that the market has moved to $91k for someone with your skills is immaterial because everyone at the company gets the same evaluation and raise structure.

Most companies don’t give out big raises to rank and file unless they are forced to. You may hear about “market adjustments” but I find that really only applies in industries that, for lack of a better comparison, are like a continuation of school. Say if you get a job at a large public accounting, consulting, or law firm where new hires come in as a “class” at the same level and pay, and are moved in lockstep at least in the early parts of your career.

All this to say, I would consider taking the counter offer, even if you want a new job. You now would be making $86k. You can continue looking and target jobs paying $100k.
joetro29

Post by joetro29 »

In academia counter offers are where the real raises happen -else is 2-3% a year and 5-7 upon promotion after 6-7 years.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

PeterParker wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:09 amI've talked to a few individuals for maybe 30 minutes each over there ha.
You accepted a job offer and gave your notice at your current company - based on a few 30 minute conversations that you don't consider any big deal?
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.