non qualified, non spousal, inherited annuity tax (North Carolina)

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
happysteward

non qualified, non spousal, inherited annuity tax (North Carolina)

Post by happysteward »

Hi friends,

Receiving a non qualified , non spousal annuity from an Aunt who died in Florida. Asking this for my uncle (he is a non spouse beneficiary to my aunt who died) who lives in North Carolina. Currently unannuitized value of the annuity with death benefits is roughly $30,000, $15,000 of that is growth.

I believe the growth will be taxed federally as income. Will North Carolina also tax the growth as income?
"How much money is enough?", John Rockefeller responded, "...just a little bit more."
Topic Author
happysteward

Re: non qualified, non spousal, inherited annuity tax (North Carolina)

Post by happysteward »

Bump hoping for help
"How much money is enough?", John Rockefeller responded, "...just a little bit more."
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Not a NC resident -

But I googled North Carolina Income Tax, and found the following site from NC.

https://www.ncdor.gov/taxes-forms/individual-income-tax

Click through on “adjustments to federal AGI”.

If I read it correctly, NC income tax calculations start with Federal AGI, and then make adjustments. There isn’t an adjustment listed for annuities.

So, to extent that annuities are taxable for Federal purposes, they would appear to also be taxable for NC purposes.
It's a GREAT day to be alive! - Travis Tritt
Topic Author
happysteward

Post by happysteward »

Thanks Stinky, appreciate the effort on my behalf....
spectec

Post by spectec »

NC generally conforms to Federal with respect to taxation of income. There are some exceptions, such as accelerated depreciation and taxation of certain Federal & NC pensions & benefits (ncluding Social Security). But on the surface, the annuity you mentioned is most likely going to flow through from the Federal return "as is" on the NC return.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers