IRS letter

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
50ismygoal

IRS letter

Post by 50ismygoal »

Today I received a letter from the IRS. It says they received an income tax return using my name and info and they want me to verify my identity to protect me from identifying theft. I never received this before. I filed via TT. The letter looks pretty official, but I’m wondering if any of you received something similar.
JohnFiscal

Re: IRS letter

Post by JohnFiscal »

50ismygoal wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:10 am Today I received a letter from the IRS. It says they received an income tax return using my name and info and they want me to verify my identity to protect me from identifying theft. I never received this before. I filed via TT. The letter looks pretty official, but I’m wondering if any of you received something similar.
A postal letter? not email?

Wow, potentially this is some scam to snag your identity. Or it could be legitimate.

I suggest setting up a personal account at the IRS, there's been some threads about this. This is the link to the page on the IRS site https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account Or if you want to be really wary, go to the iRS.gov site, select the button thing that says "View your account". Once you have that account you can view the status of things.

And/or you can call the IRS to ask them about this. In any case, the fact that it was a letter and not a phone call seems more legitimate. But I myself would still be wary.
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

How exactly do they want you to verify your identity?
stan1

Post by stan1 »

50ismygoal wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:10 am Today I received a letter from the IRS. It says they received an income tax return using my name and info and they want me to verify my identity to protect me from identifying theft. I never received this before. I filed via TT. The letter looks pretty official, but I’m wondering if any of you received something similar.
What is it asking you to do? Is there an IRS phone number on the letter to verify the request?
BogleTaxPro

Post by BogleTaxPro »

A lot of people got these letters last year. As long as it actually was snail mailed and has one of the following numbers on it, it's legitimate. See this link for more information and verified numbers to call!
https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-frau ... recipients

5071C letter
5747C letter
5447C letter and your financial and phone information is U.S. base
6331C letter
Topic Author
50ismygoal

Post by 50ismygoal »

BogleTaxPro, it does have one of those code numbers, so thank you.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

50ismygoal wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:23 pm BogleTaxPro, it does have one of those code numbers, so thank you.
To be fair, any scammer *could* duplicate that, but snail mail unsolicited identity scams are vastly less likely than email given the costs and legal ramifications.
patandjames72

Post by patandjames72 »

I submitted my Federal Tax on Feb 22nd - I have gotten my NYS refund - but nothing from Federal - finally today I called them and got a live person using a procedure on the web I found from a cpa. I called at 7:04 est am - and they got to me by 8 am est. they said I will get a letter called a "5071C" and it will probably be mailed April 15th in snail mail. I have a my IRS account - there is nothing there around this. I lost my job in 2019 - no job in 2020 - they have my SSA-44's on file - they know this - I did my taxes I have no W2's except my wife's $516 gross wages - this to me is punishing me for being unemployed. How long does it take online to verify yourself - they told me after I verify myself - it will take 6 more weeks to get my federal refund - more punishment!!!!
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

Just for everyone's information on what this letter is for.

Understanding Your Letter 5071C or 6331C