[Third stimulus payment - mega-thread]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
capran

Re: Received 3rd stimulus check 3/12/21

Post by capran »

CalcHP12c wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:05 pm Wow! Our regional bank has a banner announcement that stimulus received today will be posted 3/17. Amazing that files were ready. Unfortunately I received check last time so expect to wait...
not necessarily. We got a check for the first one, in the mail. the second one was a debit card in the mail. We were very surprised to see a deposit to our credit union account last month. It was only for $203 for the two of us total, as our income was just under the 160k last year. The weird thing was we have never written a check to the IRS because we try to adjust our withholding to very close to the taxes we owe. this year will be the first time we have underpaid, only by 5% of our total tax due, so no penalty. But the only thing I can figure out is I do get a SS check and they must have cross referenced my SS number with SS to get my banking info, but as I said, that didn't happen the previous 2 payments.
mkc

Re: [Third stimulus payment - mega-thread]

Post by mkc »

Raspberry wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:12 pm EIP1 - Received payment via DD.
EIP2 - Received a check in the mail.
EIP3 - Haven't received yet, though it was scheduled to have gone out by mail eight days ago.

Anybody else in a similar position?
We scheduled your payment to be mailed on March 26, 2021 to the address we have on file for you.
Yup - first and second received quickly via mail. Third was supposed to be mailed 3/26 and haven't seen it yet.
Raspberry

Post by Raspberry »

EIP3 - Haven't received yet, though it was scheduled to have gone out by mail eight days ago.

We scheduled your payment to be mailed on March 26, 2021 to the address we have on file for you.
Update:

Received our check yesterday (Apr 05), which the IRS website had said would go out on Mar 26.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

My elderly relatives received their 3rd stimulus payment via direct deposit today into the same account where they receive their Social Security and their 1st and 2nd stimulus payments. They never updated any information with IRS and do not file tax returns. So it looks like the Social Security Administration was able to pass to the IRS all their pertinent information. They did receive letters from the IRS about their 1st and 2nd stimulus payments.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

anon_investor wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:24 am My elderly relatives received their 3rd stimulus payment via direct deposit today into the same account where they receive their Social Security and their 1st and 2nd stimulus payments. They never updated any information with IRS and do not file tax returns. So it looks like the Social Security Administration was able to pass to the IRS all their pertinent information. They did receive letters from the IRS about their 1st and 2nd stimulus payments.
Glad they got that data feed set up. The good news about that is that likely fewer deceased individuals will receive stimulus checks.

Cheers
techiegirl

Post by techiegirl »

My kids received theirs (they receive SS Survivor benefits), but I still haven’t received anything. Does anyone know if they are still issuing checks for non SS recipients?
Nate7out

Post by Nate7out »

Nate7out wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:09 am
asset_chaos wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:18 am Get my payment tool changed today for me from eligible but payment date not determined to check will be mailed 2 April. As my banking information hasn't changed, unclear why the first two were direct deposit and this one is check. But, as I still remember how to deposit a check, I expect it'll be alright. I'll look on the bright side and say it gives me more time to decide what to do with the money.
Same, got first two stimulus payments direct deposited. I check status a few weeks ago and the IRS payment tool said it was going to DD to my checking account and showed a portion of my account number. Checked this morning and it said check to be mailed 4/2. I think it will be OK, but I not optimistic about the efficiency of the US mail.
I stand corrected. Mailed 4/2, received 4/6.

ETA: 2020 taxes were filed March 6 with lower AGI, they factored this into the latest. Hooray for tax deferral at 80%+ marginal rates in the phaseout range.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

Mine still says payment status - not available. Guess ill be claiming this next year during taxes.
mkc

Post by mkc »

mkc wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:20 am

Yup - first and second received quickly via mail. Third was supposed to be mailed 3/26 and haven't seen it yet.
Finally received, and it was mailed 3/26.
MrMoxham

Post by MrMoxham »

My experience, FWIW.

DW and I received 1st stimulus payment (2x$1200) on 4/15/2020 via DD to the checking account we've always used for e-filing.

Because of 2019 AGI, neither of us was eligible for the "automatic" 2nd payment (2x$600).

E-filed 2020 tax return on 3/20/2021 using H&R Block PC application (2020 AGI had returned to "normal"). The app determined that we had not received the 2nd payment and added it to our refund. Refund, including 2x$600 stimulus payment, was DD to checking account on 3/29/2021.

As if by magic, 3rd stimulus (2x$1400) appeared in checking account 4/7/2021. No action on my part.
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

I made too much money in 2019 for the IRS to determine that I qualified for stimulus payments in 2020. However, my 2020 income was well below the threshold and I received $1800 in stimulus credits on my 2020 taxes when I filed them in March. The tax refund hit my direct deposit account on April 7th. Today, April 10th, I checked the "Where is my payment" option to see if by chance having filed/processed a 2020 return might trigger the stimulus #3 payment. Sure enough, I now see a stimulus payment is set to be deposited to my account on April 14th. Nice! That will catch me up on all the stimulus payments to date. I'm glad I won't have to deal with this at tax time next year.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

ponyboy wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:46 am Guess ill be claiming this next year during taxes.
I grew tired of seeing the "You are eligible for the payment. Once we have your payment date, we will update this page." message and have reduced my tax withholding by submitting a new W-4 so I can recoup the approximate amount of stimulus funds that way through the remainder of the year and deal with the arithmetic during 2021 tax time.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase
techiegirl

Post by techiegirl »

I qualify in 2019 tax return it not 2020, but I’m tired of seeing “status unknown.” I’m going to give up and file my 2020 return.