Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
Wk1014
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:43 pm

Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by Wk1014 »

So Disney world tickets go up in price nearly every year and typically go up by more than the rate of inflation, last few years a lot more. I was thinking since the tickets are good forever would it be worthwhile to buy them now, to be used in 4-5 years when our kids are going to be around 6&9 Y/O. The tickets could be closing in on $200 a piece by then.

DW and I are considering buying 12 day passes, good for the 4 of us for 3 days.
User avatar
obafgkm
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:12 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by obafgkm »

I did that a few years ago— bought in 2011, used in 2018.

Unfortunately, Walt Disney World doesn’t have good-forever tickets. One has to give a first-use day:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/t ... ket-dates/
SrGrumpy
Posts: 1394
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by SrGrumpy »

Buy Disney stock. That way you actually applaud price increases.
Topic Author
Wk1014
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:43 pm

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by Wk1014 »

obafgkm wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:54 pm I did that a few years ago— bought in 2011, used in 2018.

Unfortunately, Walt Disney World doesn’t have good-forever tickets. One has to give a first-use day:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/t ... ket-dates/
Yeah I guess my thought was a little late to the party, now when you buy a ticket you have a specific start date.
Topic Author
Wk1014
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:43 pm

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by Wk1014 »

SrGrumpy wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:03 pm Buy Disney stock. That way you actually applaud price increases.
I do buy DIS, the teeny tiny sliver that’s part of VOO
duffyinvestor
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:51 pm

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by duffyinvestor »

You’re unfortunately late to the party as WDW tickets expire now.
runner3081
Posts: 4016
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by runner3081 »

They may truly be good forever, but make sure to check that. Granted, it is Disneyland -not DW, we bought tickets and the value is good forever, but they only guarantee admission at the price you paid for 1-year.

In other words, if you use 1 year + 1 day out, you pay the delta between the value of your tickets and the current admission price.

Then, there is this whole pandemic thing that makes me a bit hesitant to buy in advance on things like that. We bought tickets in Jan 2020 (to beat the 2021 price hike) for a spring break Disneyland trip. Tickets were for for 3/16. Yeah, well, Disneyland closed 3/14.

Fortunately, we did receive a full refund on both the tickets and AirBNB after nearly 8-months of fighting it!
duffyinvestor
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:51 pm

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by duffyinvestor »

A 12 day ticket cannot be saved and used some now and some later. That is not how it works.

If they ever sell annual passes again those you can currently keep until 2030 to activate and I do have a few of those stashed away.
Flyer24
Moderator
Posts: 2694
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:21 pm

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by Flyer24 »

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.
smitcat
Posts: 7581
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by smitcat »

Wk1014 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:10 pm
obafgkm wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:54 pm I did that a few years ago— bought in 2011, used in 2018.

Unfortunately, Walt Disney World doesn’t have good-forever tickets. One has to give a first-use day:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/t ... ket-dates/
Yeah I guess my thought was a little late to the party, now when you buy a ticket you have a specific start date.
Agreed - we did that back around 2002 when you could buy the 10 day non expiration tickets. The ability to do that ended a few years back.

Also note with the new tickets - you cannot break up a 12 day pass between 4 persons, the ticket expires within a few days after activation and length of ticket, prices vary by actual date of attendence scheduled, tickets vary in their ability to see multiple parks in one day, any unused days left on the ticket are not credited your your account, you need to book the park you want to attend that day seperatly from purchasing the ticket (do it early on).
Last edited by smitcat on Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inframan4712
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:10 pm

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by Inframan4712 »

Contrarian view - skip buying them entirely and spend the money on something (more) real, like a national park.
smitcat
Posts: 7581
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by smitcat »

Inframan4712 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:02 am Contrarian view - skip buying them entirely and spend the money on something (more) real, like a national park.
Another thought - do both!!
Ependytis
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:10 am

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by Ependytis »

If there’s one thing I dislike is waiting in line. Instead of trying to hedge against inflation, I would recommend trying to find a day when the park is not crowded. I’d be more than willing to pay twice as much to not have to wait in line.

I think everybody should go to Disneyland at least once. However, after that, I always felt like I was getting nickeled and dimed. They charge to park, they charge you for a locker, and they over charge you for food and gifts.

When we went to Disney World, it seem like most of the space where you could walk was dedicated to selling. I’ve already paid to get into the park; why do I want to pay to walk through essentially a mall?
stoptothink
Posts: 9160
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by stoptothink »

Ependytis wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:17 am If there’s one thing I dislike is waiting in line. Instead of trying to hedge against inflation, I would recommend trying to find a day when the park is not crowded. I’d be more than willing to pay twice as much to not have to wait in line.

I think everybody should go to Disneyland at least once. However, after that, I always felt like I was getting nickeled and dimed. They charge to park, they charge you for a locker, and they over charge you for food and gifts.

When we went to Disney World, it seem like most of the space where you could walk was dedicated to selling. I’ve already paid to get into the park; why do I want to pay to walk through essentially a mall?
There is no day when the park (Disneyland) is not crowded. We last went on a Wednesday in mid-January '20, on what is generally listed as one of the least busy days of the year and it was a complete nightmare (as far as crowds, lines); so bad that my 5yr old asked to leave. You want to not wait in lines, you pony up the $425+/hr for a VIP tour. So glad my kids are getting big enough now to prefer the rides at Knotts and Magic Mountain on our bi-annual SoCal trips.
User avatar
wander
Posts: 3644
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by wander »

smitcat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:03 am
Inframan4712 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:02 am Contrarian view - skip buying them entirely and spend the money on something (more) real, like a national park.
Another thought - do both!!
Agree with this.
smitcat
Posts: 7581
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by smitcat »

Ependytis wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:17 am If there’s one thing I dislike is waiting in line. Instead of trying to hedge against inflation, I would recommend trying to find a day when the park is not crowded. I’d be more than willing to pay twice as much to not have to wait in line.

I think everybody should go to Disneyland at least once. However, after that, I always felt like I was getting nickeled and dimed. They charge to park, they charge you for a locker, and they over charge you for food and gifts.

When we went to Disney World, it seem like most of the space where you could walk was dedicated to selling. I’ve already paid to get into the park; why do I want to pay to walk through essentially a mall?
"If there’s one thing I dislike is waiting in line. Instead of trying to hedge against inflation, I would recommend trying to find a day when the park is not crowded. I’d be more than willing to pay twice as much to not have to wait in line."
A few thoughts on this....
1. check the crowd calender before scheduling the trip.
https://www.undercovertourist.com/orlan ... -calendar/
2. read and plan ahead, lines are predictable
3. utilize all lines like rideshare, single riders, etc
4. reserve shows, rides and meals where available
5. use the fastpass system and book early

"When we went to Disney World, it seem like most of the space where you could walk was dedicated to selling. I’ve already paid to get into the park; why do I want to pay to walk through essentially a mall?"
You might have missed a whole lot of rides, shows and interactive opportunities. These parks are best visited with some advance planning and knowledge of all each park has to offer.
IMO
Posts: 1280
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by IMO »

OP, on one hand, your post is kinda funny. It made me curious, adjusting for inflation, how have Disney World (or Disneyland) tickets fared compared to inflation?

So back in the good old days, you would go to Disneyland and buy ticket books (including the 1st "E ticket" well ahead of the internet):
https://d23.com/e-ticket-memories-five- ... elations,2.

Using what I found for the cost of a ticket book in 1971, it was $4.40. Now for some a single ticket book would suffice, but for the enthusiastic we could potentially through a couple ticket books in a visit (with a buch of A and B left overs). So it would cost $28.57 for one ticket book today or $57.14 for 2 books.

Found an article that essentially showed similar thing: https://www.ocregister.com/2019/07/23/d ... udy-finds/

I would argue that there really hasn't been a corresponding increase in the experience/rides offered. They also ignored food prices . . . .

So Telsa, Bitcoin, and Disneyworld TICKETS (not stock) are all good bets with the latter being less volatile.
atwood
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 11:57 pm

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by atwood »

smitcat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:28 am
Ependytis wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:17 am If there’s one thing I dislike is waiting in line. Instead of trying to hedge against inflation, I would recommend trying to find a day when the park is not crowded. I’d be more than willing to pay twice as much to not have to wait in line.

I think everybody should go to Disneyland at least once. However, after that, I always felt like I was getting nickeled and dimed. They charge to park, they charge you for a locker, and they over charge you for food and gifts.

When we went to Disney World, it seem like most of the space where you could walk was dedicated to selling. I’ve already paid to get into the park; why do I want to pay to walk through essentially a mall?
"If there’s one thing I dislike is waiting in line. Instead of trying to hedge against inflation, I would recommend trying to find a day when the park is not crowded. I’d be more than willing to pay twice as much to not have to wait in line."
A few thoughts on this....
1. check the crowd calender before scheduling the trip.
https://www.undercovertourist.com/orlan ... -calendar/
2. read and plan ahead, lines are predictable
3. utilize all lines like rideshare, single riders, etc
4. reserve shows, rides and meals where available
5. use the fastpass system and book early

"When we went to Disney World, it seem like most of the space where you could walk was dedicated to selling. I’ve already paid to get into the park; why do I want to pay to walk through essentially a mall?"
You might have missed a whole lot of rides, shows and interactive opportunities. These parks are best visited with some advance planning and knowledge of all each park has to offer.
Grew up in Florida (not Orlando) and one could just on the spur of the moment say let's go to Disney tomorrow, wake up early, drive a couple of hours and that's all it took to have a great time for not much money.

Times have changed.
smitcat
Posts: 7581
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by smitcat »

IMO wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:25 pm OP, on one hand, your post is kinda funny. It made me curious, adjusting for inflation, how have Disney World (or Disneyland) tickets fared compared to inflation?

So back in the good old days, you would go to Disneyland and buy ticket books (including the 1st "E ticket" well ahead of the internet):
https://d23.com/e-ticket-memories-five- ... elations,2.

Using what I found for the cost of a ticket book in 1971, it was $4.40. Now for some a single ticket book would suffice, but for the enthusiastic we could potentially through a couple ticket books in a visit (with a buch of A and B left overs). So it would cost $28.57 for one ticket book today or $57.14 for 2 books.

Found an article that essentially showed similar thing: https://www.ocregister.com/2019/07/23/d ... udy-finds/

I would argue that there really hasn't been a corresponding increase in the experience/rides offered. They also ignored food prices . . . .

So Telsa, Bitcoin, and Disneyworld TICKETS (not stock) are all good bets with the latter being less volatile.
"I would argue that there really hasn't been a corresponding increase in the experience/rides offered."
You must be referring to Disneyland only whereas the OP is talking about Disneyworld in Orlando.
smitcat
Posts: 7581
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by smitcat »

atwood wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:05 pm
smitcat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:28 am
Ependytis wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:17 am If there’s one thing I dislike is waiting in line. Instead of trying to hedge against inflation, I would recommend trying to find a day when the park is not crowded. I’d be more than willing to pay twice as much to not have to wait in line.

I think everybody should go to Disneyland at least once. However, after that, I always felt like I was getting nickeled and dimed. They charge to park, they charge you for a locker, and they over charge you for food and gifts.

When we went to Disney World, it seem like most of the space where you could walk was dedicated to selling. I’ve already paid to get into the park; why do I want to pay to walk through essentially a mall?
"If there’s one thing I dislike is waiting in line. Instead of trying to hedge against inflation, I would recommend trying to find a day when the park is not crowded. I’d be more than willing to pay twice as much to not have to wait in line."
A few thoughts on this....
1. check the crowd calender before scheduling the trip.
https://www.undercovertourist.com/orlan ... -calendar/
2. read and plan ahead, lines are predictable
3. utilize all lines like rideshare, single riders, etc
4. reserve shows, rides and meals where available
5. use the fastpass system and book early

"When we went to Disney World, it seem like most of the space where you could walk was dedicated to selling. I’ve already paid to get into the park; why do I want to pay to walk through essentially a mall?"
You might have missed a whole lot of rides, shows and interactive opportunities. These parks are best visited with some advance planning and knowledge of all each park has to offer.
Grew up in Florida (not Orlando) and one could just on the spur of the moment say let's go to Disney tomorrow, wake up early, drive a couple of hours and that's all it took to have a great time for not much money.

Times have changed.
Yes kinda - when we first went there was only the one park, now with 6 parks if you want to see it all its prudent to plan.
squirm
Posts: 3235
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by squirm »

If you don't want to wait in lines, go when it rains. Usually the rides remain open.
2cents2
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:31 am

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by 2cents2 »

IMO wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:25 pm
So Telsa, Bitcoin, and Disneyworld TICKETS (not stock) are all good bets with the latter being less volatile.
Hmmm. I bought ahead on Disney World annual pass vouchers. I might be sitting on a real gold mine! :happy
smitcat
Posts: 7581
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by smitcat »

2cents2 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:20 pm
IMO wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:25 pm
So Telsa, Bitcoin, and Disneyworld TICKETS (not stock) are all good bets with the latter being less volatile.
Hmmm. I bought ahead on Disney World annual pass vouchers. I might be sitting on a real gold mine! :happy
The older 10 day not expirable pass as well as the non expirable annual pass was also transferable to any owner prior to first use or assigment to your Disney account. If they are not partially used or assigned they are similar to paper money and should be treated as such.
Topic Author
Wk1014
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:43 pm

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by Wk1014 »

Inframan4712 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:02 am Contrarian view - skip buying them entirely and spend the money on something (more) real, like a national park.
I’d agree with you but I’d like to take them to Disney World once,
Nebraska_Drought
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:19 am
Location: Lincoln, NE

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by Nebraska_Drought »

We are/were a "Disney" family and did upwards of 12-14 trips to WDW in Florida. The 10 day, non-expiring passes that were available years ago were the way to go, especially if you were planning multiple trips there. We could use them for usually 2 trips and the water parks and other "add on's" that were associated with them were a bonus and allowed you to do other fun outings using the same passes. Disney has gotten smart and all of these are gone now, but they still honor any/all the old passes they had. Years ago, we used a couple of days off some park tickets from the 1980's that were given to us by some friends. We just had to go to guest services on arrival and they honored the passes which were quite old at that time.

Disney is a fun, but expensive trip. I'd not go now again until things get back to normal, but it was our destination vacation spot for a long time. Even now that my kids are older (college and soph in HS) they both still want to go again. It has a magic to it that is hard to describe unless you have done it.

With the tickets now attached to a window of time, the days of banking tickets to use later on don't exist anymore.
Bobby206
Posts: 523
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:01 pm

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by Bobby206 »

Seems overly complicated for tiny amounts of money. Plus, if you die, lose them, etc... you have lost the total value.
User avatar
watchnerd
Posts: 7339
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by watchnerd »

Bobby206 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:25 am Seems overly complicated for tiny amounts of money. Plus, if you die, lose them, etc... you have lost the total value.
Yeah, this doesn't scale well at all.

I'm not going to buy enough Disney tickets to make a dent in my net worth / portfolio outcome when it comes to inflation hedging...
60% Global Market Stocks (VT,FM) | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS 10% cash / currencies || RSU + ESPP | LMP TIPS/STRIPS
ponyboy
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:39 am

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by ponyboy »

My wife has a ticket from 20+ years ago. We'll use it someday when our kid gets older. As an adult, I cant think of a place id rather NOT be than an asphalt jungle made of gaudy man made structures. Ill take national parks anyday.
djsander2022
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:26 pm

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by djsander2022 »

We have watched as the prices have gone up at a pretty quick rate. We use to go in the late 90’s through part of the 2000s. Taking the kids was quite a joy. We would usually buy an extra day, but didn’t use it. Once the youngest was off to college my wife and I went and didn’t have to pay for passes they were still paper tickets with a magnetic stripe. When we started we didn’t pay to park hop or for an expiration it was all included in the price as well as water parks. I’m not sure if we ever paid more than $50/ticket/day. It was fun while it lasted, but time to move on. A lot of good memories and now others can pay the price if they desire. I would suggest try some of the other parks as well. We went the first year there to Tampa and did Busch Gardens and nobody was there. That was 23 years ago and I’m sure it will be packed anymore. There are a lot of places to go, but gone are the days of getting tickets and holding them.
Bobby206
Posts: 523
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:01 pm

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by Bobby206 »

ponyboy wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:10 pm My wife has a ticket from 20+ years ago. We'll use it someday when our kid gets older. As an adult, I cant think of a place id rather NOT be than an asphalt jungle made of gaudy man made structures. Ill take national parks anyday.
To each their own. You sound sort of rude about it. I personally don't like ticks, mosquitos, bears, snakes, etc... so I prefer the amusement park and an ice cold beer at the bar. To each their own my friend.
Nebraska_Drought
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:19 am
Location: Lincoln, NE

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by Nebraska_Drought »

Bobby206 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:55 am
ponyboy wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:10 pm My wife has a ticket from 20+ years ago. We'll use it someday when our kid gets older. As an adult, I cant think of a place id rather NOT be than an asphalt jungle made of gaudy man made structures. Ill take national parks anyday.
To each their own. You sound sort of rude about it. I personally don't like ticks, mosquitos, bears, snakes, etc... so I prefer the amusement park and an ice cold beer at the bar. To each their own my friend.
+1

Disney is a great experience, and it "works" for any age of person.
Ependytis
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:10 am

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by Ependytis »

If you’re going to Disney World, be sure to go to the Kennedy space Center. We found that it very inexpensive.I am very technical but the significant other is not. However we both agreed that The Kennedy space Center was the highlight of our trip.
User avatar
BogleFanGal
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:59 pm

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by BogleFanGal »

djsander2022 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:13 pm We have watched as the prices have gone up at a pretty quick rate. We use to go in the late 90’s through part of the 2000s. Taking the kids was quite a joy. We would usually buy an extra day, but didn’t use it. Once the youngest was off to college my wife and I went and didn’t have to pay for passes they were still paper tickets with a magnetic stripe. When we started we didn’t pay to park hop or for an expiration it was all included in the price as well as water parks. I’m not sure if we ever paid more than $50/ticket/day. It was fun while it lasted, but time to move on. A lot of good memories and now others can pay the price if they desire. I would suggest try some of the other parks as well. We went the first year there to Tampa and did Busch Gardens and nobody was there. That was 23 years ago and I’m sure it will be packed anymore. There are a lot of places to go, but gone are the days of getting tickets and holding them.
No kids, but went many times myself and enjoyed the immersive feeling of disney and universal parks. Last few years feels like crowds got way bigger (and meaner - just so many rude, threatening, obnoxious guests), prices spiraling way past inflation rates, and death by a thousand paper cuts - management cost saving cutbacks across the board in service, live entertainment and other traditional Disney-esque niceties that made a trip there such a unique value add vs traditional six flags type theme parks.

While I expect costs will rise, I'm very discouraged by the degradation of the vacation experience I was seeing (i.e. pre-covid, before travel shut down.) From cruise ships to theme parks to natural monuments and parks, felt like so many services/little touches were disappearing; crowds/congestion were growing out of control even during off seasons and traditional school year periods when an older couple could catch a slower, quieter time. Feels like everywhere is packed to the gills in a way that didn't seem so congested just 10-20 years ago.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain
Topic Author
Wk1014
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:43 pm

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by Wk1014 »

BogleFanGal wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:56 am
djsander2022 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:13 pm We have watched as the prices have gone up at a pretty quick rate. We use to go in the late 90’s through part of the 2000s. Taking the kids was quite a joy. We would usually buy an extra day, but didn’t use it. Once the youngest was off to college my wife and I went and didn’t have to pay for passes they were still paper tickets with a magnetic stripe. When we started we didn’t pay to park hop or for an expiration it was all included in the price as well as water parks. I’m not sure if we ever paid more than $50/ticket/day. It was fun while it lasted, but time to move on. A lot of good memories and now others can pay the price if they desire. I would suggest try some of the other parks as well. We went the first year there to Tampa and did Busch Gardens and nobody was there. That was 23 years ago and I’m sure it will be packed anymore. There are a lot of places to go, but gone are the days of getting tickets and holding them.
No kids, but went many times myself and enjoyed the immersive feeling of disney and universal parks. Last few years feels like crowds got way bigger (and meaner - just so many rude, threatening, obnoxious guests), prices spiraling way past inflation rates, and death by a thousand paper cuts - management cost saving cutbacks across the board in service, live entertainment and other traditional Disney-esque niceties that made a trip there such a unique value add vs traditional six flags type theme parks.

While I expect costs will rise, I'm very discouraged by the degradation of the vacation experience I was seeing (i.e. pre-covid, before travel shut down.) From cruise ships to theme parks to natural monuments and parks, felt like so many services/little touches were disappearing; crowds/congestion were growing out of control even during off seasons and traditional school year periods when an older couple could catch a slower, quieter time. Feels like everywhere is packed to the gills in a way that didn't seem so congested just 10-20 years ago.
That’s what happens when there’s 25% more people than 2000
smitcat
Posts: 7581
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by smitcat »

Nebraska_Drought wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:17 am We are/were a "Disney" family and did upwards of 12-14 trips to WDW in Florida. The 10 day, non-expiring passes that were available years ago were the way to go, especially if you were planning multiple trips there. We could use them for usually 2 trips and the water parks and other "add on's" that were associated with them were a bonus and allowed you to do other fun outings using the same passes. Disney has gotten smart and all of these are gone now, but they still honor any/all the old passes they had. Years ago, we used a couple of days off some park tickets from the 1980's that were given to us by some friends. We just had to go to guest services on arrival and they honored the passes which were quite old at that time.

Disney is a fun, but expensive trip. I'd not go now again until things get back to normal, but it was our destination vacation spot for a long time. Even now that my kids are older (college and soph in HS) they both still want to go again. It has a magic to it that is hard to describe unless you have done it.

With the tickets now attached to a window of time, the days of banking tickets to use later on don't exist anymore.
"Disney is a fun, but expensive trip. I'd not go now again until things get back to normal, but it was our destination vacation spot for a long time"
FWIW - the past year there are some good and bad points about being at Disneyworld. All in all I would go now and have a good time, its a bit different but not really a problem. Universal studios is also a good stop now and we think there approach has been better than Disney.
We should be getting there again in a week or so...
SrGrumpy
Posts: 1394
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by SrGrumpy »

BogleFanGal wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:56 am While I expect costs will rise, I'm very discouraged by the degradation of the vacation experience I was seeing (i.e. pre-covid, before travel shut down.) From cruise ships to theme parks to natural monuments and parks, felt like so many services/little touches were disappearing; crowds/congestion were growing out of control even during off seasons and traditional school year periods when an older couple could catch a slower, quieter time. Feels like everywhere is packed to the gills in a way that didn't seem so congested just 10-20 years ago.
I hate it when vacationers ruin my vacation experience.
User avatar
StevieG72
Posts: 1291
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by StevieG72 »

I was not impressed with Disney. I flew down to Florida and took my daughter, underwhelming to say the least. While it is sort of a rite of passage for children, I would rather visit Busch Gardens Williamsburg which is ridiculously close to where I live.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
smitcat
Posts: 7581
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by smitcat »

StevieG72 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:46 pm I was not impressed with Disney. I flew down to Florida and took my daughter, underwhelming to say the least. While it is sort of a rite of passage for children, I would rather visit Busch Gardens Williamsburg which is ridiculously close to where I live.
Sorry to hear that - did you get to all the parks? Did you get on all of the rides? Did not like the 'Rise of the resistance' , 'flight of passage', "test track", "soarin", shows , etc?
IMO
Posts: 1280
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by IMO »

SrGrumpy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:32 pm
BogleFanGal wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:56 am While I expect costs will rise, I'm very discouraged by the degradation of the vacation experience I was seeing (i.e. pre-covid, before travel shut down.) From cruise ships to theme parks to natural monuments and parks, felt like so many services/little touches were disappearing; crowds/congestion were growing out of control even during off seasons and traditional school year periods when an older couple could catch a slower, quieter time. Feels like everywhere is packed to the gills in a way that didn't seem so congested just 10-20 years ago.
I hate it when vacationers ruin my vacation experience.
Yeah I'd agree everything seems so overcrowded nowadays. Goes to my basic theory on there being too many people and not enough _________________ or ______________ in the world to meet all the needs without creating other problems with the world. The classic line I always tell my wife when were somewhere mid-week/off season and it's excessively crowded is, "Doesn't anybody work anymore? Is it just everyone's day off today?" and that is pre-covid!

For OP, probably what's more important than saving a few bucks on tickets/passes is to take the kids out of school to do the theme parks. Such a massively better experience when you can go without the big crowds. For kids of Disney (or other theme park age), missing a week of school really isn't a big deal in life.
Thegame14
Posts: 1854
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 11:53 am

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by Thegame14 »

Wk1014 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:48 pm So Disney world tickets go up in price nearly every year and typically go up by more than the rate of inflation, last few years a lot more. I was thinking since the tickets are good forever would it be worthwhile to buy them now, to be used in 4-5 years when our kids are going to be around 6&9 Y/O. The tickets could be closing in on $200 a piece by then.

DW and I are considering buying 12 day passes, good for the 4 of us for 3 days.
I bought 10 disney days with parket hopper and never expire about 20 years ago and got them for like $25 per day, nice investment.......
smitcat
Posts: 7581
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by smitcat »

Thegame14 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:56 pm
Wk1014 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:48 pm So Disney world tickets go up in price nearly every year and typically go up by more than the rate of inflation, last few years a lot more. I was thinking since the tickets are good forever would it be worthwhile to buy them now, to be used in 4-5 years when our kids are going to be around 6&9 Y/O. The tickets could be closing in on $200 a piece by then.

DW and I are considering buying 12 day passes, good for the 4 of us for 3 days.
I bought 10 disney days with parket hopper and never expire about 20 years ago and got them for like $25 per day, nice investment.......
We bought a couple of dozen of those 10 day Parkhopper tickets about 20 years back - they were about $40/day and worked out very well.
User avatar
BogleFanGal
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:59 pm

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by BogleFanGal »

Yeah I'd agree everything seems so overcrowded nowadays. Goes to my basic theory on there being too many people and not enough _________________ or ______________ in the world to meet all the needs without creating other problems with the world. The classic line I always tell my wife when were somewhere mid-week/off season and it's excessively crowded is, "Doesn't anybody work anymore? Is it just everyone's day off today?" and that is pre-covid!

haha...I say that ALL the time
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain
User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 24088
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by willthrill81 »

I've been to WDW at least a dozen times. It's where many of my best memories were made.

We took our then nearly three-year old daughter there with my parents three years ago and had a great time. We went in late-Jan.-early-Feb., and the crowds weren't too bad, though definitely more than we anticipated. We got Fast Passes for the top attractions as soon as we were able, so we didn't have to wait long at all for those. We rented someone else's points through the Disney Vacation Club (i.e., timeshare) to get a very spacious and well equipped room at the Polynesian resort, and all expenses for a 8 nights and 6 days in the parks was about $5k. That may sound pricey to some, but the cheapest hotel (without roaches anyway) alone we could find around Yellowstone in the summer was over $300/night. Add in overpriced and lackluster food, rental vehicle, airfare, etc., and a trip to WDW doesn't sound quite as ridiculously overpriced as some make it out to be.

The bottom line is that most places that are visited by large numbers of people are generally expensive to visit. It's simple supply and demand. We now have a motorhome that will reduce the variable costs associated with regional vacations, but it comes with a high upfront cost. Pick your poison.

If you're good going to a national or state park without too many visitors, sleeping in a tent or your vehicle, and cooking your own food, go for it. Almost anything else is going to entail significant expense; it's just a question of how significant.

P.S. WDW is not the place to be a 'free spirit' and just go without doing any advance planning and expect to have a great time. Such people might get lucky and enjoy it, but in general, WDW is best enjoyed by those who know what they are doing, where they are going, have advance reservations, and don't try to do too much in too short a period of time. Planned downtime makes it much more enjoyable for most.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
smitcat
Posts: 7581
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Pre buy Disney World tickets as inflation hedge

Post by smitcat »

willthrill81 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:37 pm I've been to WDW at least a dozen times. It's where many of my best memories were made.

We took our then nearly three-year old daughter there with my parents three years ago and had a great time. We went in late-Jan.-early-Feb., and the crowds weren't too bad, though definitely more than we anticipated. We got Fast Passes for the top attractions as soon as we were able, so we didn't have to wait long at all for those. We rented someone else's points through the Disney Vacation Club (i.e., timeshare) to get a very spacious and well equipped room at the Polynesian resort, and all expenses for a 8 nights and 6 days in the parks was about $5k. That may sound pricey to some, but the cheapest hotel (without roaches anyway) alone we could find around Yellowstone in the summer was over $300/night. Add in overpriced and lackluster food, rental vehicle, airfare, etc., and a trip to WDW doesn't sound quite as ridiculously overpriced as some make it out to be.

The bottom line is that most places that are visited by large numbers of people are generally expensive to visit. It's simple supply and demand. We now have a motorhome that will reduce the variable costs associated with regional vacations, but it comes with a high upfront cost. Pick your poison.

If you're good going to a national or state park without too many visitors, sleeping in a tent or your vehicle, and cooking your own food, go for it. Almost anything else is going to entail significant expense; it's just a question of how significant.

P.S. WDW is not the place to be a 'free spirit' and just go without doing any advance planning and expect to have a great time. Such people might get lucky and enjoy it, but in general, WDW is best enjoyed by those who know what they are doing, where they are going, have advance reservations, and don't try to do too much in too short a period of time. Planned downtime makes it much more enjoyable for most.
"P.S. WDW is not the place to be a 'free spirit' and just go without doing any advance planning and expect to have a great time. Such people might get lucky and enjoy it, but in general, WDW is best enjoyed by those who know what they are doing, where they are going, have advance reservations"
Cannot agree more with doing advanced planning and reservations with WDW - you will get a much better experience by knowing what you want to do and how best to get it done.
Right now WDW is relatively crowded but that will change by mid next week - knowing the schedules is one way to make a big difference and it is so easy to do.
Post Reply