Help Me [Recover] My Bitcoin!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
aerosurfer

Re: Help Me [Recover] My Bitcoin!

Post by aerosurfer »

Mindbender wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:54 pm This is a fascinating read. Sorry but the bitcoin is lost unless you can find the private keys.

Side note, this is another reason why the remaining bitcoin are becoming more valuable. So many bitcoin are lost and unrecoverable.
The mindbender here is no one knows what percentage this is... unless people around the world start to share this...

Or if someone were to declare they lost access to say 2mm bitcoin, they could likely spike the market :?
ohboy!

Post by ohboy! »

Interesting. Noticing a lot of these types of threads. For some reason I don't believe it. But as a Bitcoin holder I suppose more lost Bitcoin is good for me... I know a lot of people personally who have got their feet wet in crypto. Young, old, tech savy and not. Not one has lost any or had any issues with it. As for the comment about selling being high fees or difficult. I don't think so.
Topic Author
Reubin

Post by Reubin »

ohboy! wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:10 pm Interesting. Noticing a lot of these types of threads. For some reason I don't believe it. But as a Bitcoin holder I suppose more lost Bitcoin is good for me... I know a lot of people personally who have got their feet wet in crypto. Young, old, tech savy and not. Not one has lost any or had any issues with it. As for the comment about selling being high fees or difficult. I don't think so.
You should definitely believe it. When I received the .05 bitcoin back in 2013, it was a brand new shiny thing and there was no one there to tell you that you needed to save the private key, which was probably 30 characters long.
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

Reubin wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:06 pm I'm bumping this thread.

My .05 bitcoin is now worth approximately $1900 and I still can't access it due to not having saved the private key.
Has their been any progress in people recovering their lost bitcoins?
I'd suggest opening up a new wallet and buying 0.05 BTC so you can get that back in your hands.
Topic Author
Reubin

Post by Reubin »

tesuzuki2002 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:07 pm

My .05 bitcoin is now worth approximately $1900 and I still can't access it due to not having saved the private key.
I'd suggest opening up a new wallet and buying 0.05 BTC so you can get that back in your hands.
Can you please further explain? Thanks.
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

Reubin wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:17 pm
tesuzuki2002 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:07 pm

Can you please further explain? Thanks.
Don't sweat it... just go buy it again. At the prices today it would only cost about $1550 USD.
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

Stefan Thomas, a German-born programmer living in San Francisco, has two guesses left to figure out a password that is worth, as of this week, about $220 million.

The password will let him unlock a small hard drive, known as an IronKey, which contains the private keys to a digital wallet that holds 7,002 Bitcoin. While the price of Bitcoin dropped sharply on Monday, it is still up more than 50 percent from just a month ago when it passed its previous all-time high around $20,000.

The problem is that Mr. Thomas years ago lost the paper where he wrote down the password for his IronKey, which gives users 10 guesses before it seizes up and encrypts its contents forever. He has since tried eight of his most commonly used password formulations — to no avail.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

at least you're in good company. Just saw this article in NY Times:
Lost Passwords Lock Millionaires Out of Their Bitcoin Fortunes

Bitcoin owners are getting rich because the cryptocurrency has soared. But what happens when you can’t access that wealth because you forgot the password to your digital wallet?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/12/tech ... tunes.html
i wonder if these would be escheated to states unclaimed property sites, but probably not. that would be too easy.
Of the existing 18.5 million Bitcoin, around 20 percent — currently worth around $140 billion — appear to be in lost or otherwise stranded wallets, according to the cryptocurrency data firm Chainalysis. Wallet Recovery Services, a business that helps find lost digital keys, said it has gotten 70 requests a day from people who want help recovering their riches, three times the number of a month ago.
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

That's insane. 20% lost or stranded. This doesn't bode well for the long term functionality of Bitcoin as a currency.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Jeff Albertson wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:51 am
Stefan Thomas, a German-born programmer living in San Francisco, has two guesses left to figure out a password that is worth, as of this week, about $220 million.

The password will let him unlock a small hard drive, known as an IronKey, which contains the private keys to a digital wallet that holds 7,002 Bitcoin. While the price of Bitcoin dropped sharply on Monday, it is still up more than 50 percent from just a month ago when it passed its previous all-time high around $20,000.

The problem is that Mr. Thomas years ago lost the paper where he wrote down the password for his IronKey, which gives users 10 guesses before it seizes up and encrypts its contents forever. He has since tried eight of his most commonly used password formulations — to no avail.
I just read that earlier today, too, then saw this post tonight. Almost seems like it was cynically designed to drive people insane. Heard another person got hacked (or something like that) and lost $6 million worth of it.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

JBTX wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:56 pm That's insane. 20% lost or stranded. This doesn't bode well for the long term functionality of Bitcoin as a currency.
Maybe it's a feature to drive the supply down and the pricing up.
forkhorn

Post by forkhorn »

I'm nowhere close to wanting to put money into bitcoin, and this thread only reinforces that.
dknightd

Re: Help Me Cash Out My Bitcoin!

Post by dknightd »

Reubin wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:46 am I have my wallet ID and password for my blockchain wallet. I also have a 12 word recovery phrase that was provided which I have no idea how to use.
With your 12 word backup phrase you should be able to access your wallet. I do not know the procedure, but that is what the backup phrase is for. Have you contacted your software provider? Perhaps they can tell you how to recover access using your backup phrase.
Or, google "using backup phrase to access bitcoin"
good luck
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds. Retired 9/19. Still working on mortgage payoff.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

All I am reporting here is that I performed a Google search and obtained some search results.

I found that there are services that claim to help people recover lost bitcoin. I'm not going to be specific or provide links because I suspect they could be scams, and you can do a Google search just as easily as I can. (In the fiat currency world, a common scam is approaching victims of other scams with claims of being able to get their money back).

One of them apparently does it on a contingency basis; the fee is a percentage of the amount recovered if I'm reading the story correctly. But there is a big problem IMHO:
To start, consumers must hand over what they think their password could be. Since many consumers use the same or variations of the same password for multiple accounts, this can be worrisome.
You bet.
But after [name] unlocks a wallet and takes his cut, he sends an email explaining to clients that they should change or stop using any of the passwords they disclosed to him.
The fact that according to this story, clients are told to change their password after he unlocks a wallet, is concerning. So is the fact that the person who provides this service uses a pseudonym. The story I happen to be reading does not mention anything about what he says his success rate has been.

(You'd need to ask a real security maven for advice, but before asking a stranger with a pseudonym on the Internet to use powerful password-cracking tools on my bitcoin account, I would first systematically change every other password I use, and to the strongest possible kind).
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
arcticpineapplecorp.

this guy's got:
two guesses to unlock bitcoin worth $240m
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55645408
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

000 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:11 pm If no one has the private key, the bitcoins are permanently inaccessible. There's no way for you to prove it's yours. This is a fundamental design feature.

So if you don't have the private key and there is no record of the private key on the site where you got it, you're out of luck. Sorry.
When the bitcoin is "made", don't the people making it keep a copy of the private key? If so, could they somehow be contacted to retrieve the key?

If not, can the 12-word password phrase be brute-force cracked? I know probably all dumb questions, but this is what comes to mind..
Topic Author
Reubin

Post by Reubin »

I just used my 12 word phrase to get me into my blockchain wallet again. However, the .05 bitcoin that I have the address for and is mine is not in my blockchain wallet. My wallet shows that I have zero bitcoin. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Mindbender

Post by Mindbender »

JBTX wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:56 pm That's insane. 20% lost or stranded. This doesn't bode well for the long term functionality of Bitcoin as a currency.
Not arguing the currency point but bitcoin is divisible by 8 decimal points. I think that helps.
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

So where do people store their private keys? My guess is on their computer and/or some online storage place. So one only needs to hack their computer or their online storage account to get access to the private keys? My guess is nobody is going to write down on paper the private key?
feh

Post by feh »

Reubin wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:58 am I just used my 12 word phrase to get me into my blockchain wallet again. However, the .05 bitcoin that I have the address for and is mine is not in my blockchain wallet. My wallet shows that I have zero bitcoin. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Without reading the entire thread again, didn't we go through this 3 years ago? I'm pretty sure you didn't have the 12 words to the original wallet which contained your bitcoin.

You are referring to a different wallet above, IIRC.

Post by 000 »

knightrider wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:56 am
000 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:11 pm If no one has the private key, the bitcoins are permanently inaccessible. There's no way for you to prove it's yours. This is a fundamental design feature.

So if you don't have the private key and there is no record of the private key on the site where you got it, you're out of luck. Sorry.
When the bitcoin is "made", don't the people making it keep a copy of the private key? If so, could they somehow be contacted to retrieve the key?

If not, can the 12-word password phrase be brute-force cracked? I know probably all dumb questions, but this is what comes to mind..
Not an expert but I believe the answer to the first two questions is no because bitcoin is a bearer instrument of which ownership is exclusively authenticated by your private key. The miners have their own private key. But when they sell it to you and you buy it, the network now recognizes you, not the miners, as the owner. The miners don't know your private key. To understand how this is possible, read up on public-key cryptography. Now, if someone used a service that created a private key for them, then that service might have a record.

To the last question, the answer is the same as to any brute force cracking: theoretically yes, but most likely computationally intractable given the length of the password and currently available computing power.

At this point, probably the only thing left the OP could try (note: I didn't say should) would be a hypnotist or other such person that claims to have the ability to help recover memories.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Reubin wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:58 am I just used my 12 word phrase to get me into my blockchain wallet again. However, the .05 bitcoin that I have the address for and is mine is not in my blockchain wallet. My wallet shows that I have zero bitcoin. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Maybe it fell out of the wallet - did you check on the ground?
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:25 am this guy's got:
two guesses to unlock bitcoin worth $240m
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55645408

I'd take the deal in a heartbeat. 10% is way better than 50%
lairdb

Post by lairdb »

Blockchain.info uses the term wallet to mean a collection of one or more addresses visible through their UI. If you created a new wallet through blockchain.info, then it created a new address and it gave you the 12 word form of the private key. That is independent of your other, old, address.

All addresses are publicly visible -- but you can only transfer from an address if you have the private key. You can look at that address -- but that just shows you the content; it doesn't allow you to transfer it.

Private keys can be in native form (looks like Kz3VjwwN9vQQRJo43Brk7kRHcHApj7G6heKARJTgb2m9ii7tyKd9) or in BIP39 form (some words, e.g. gravity horse erupt wire veteran width second mule sadness grief pact load).

If you do not have the private key or the 12 (usually) words for your original address 1ot2durorPj3oGTeYNJ4vWLi9U7dJP48f then that 0.05 BTC is stuck there forever, end of story.

(Or until substantive availability of SHA-256 ECDSA encryption cracking. This may be an option if you are actually the NSA or the SSM.)
Topic Author
Reubin

Post by Reubin »

Since I'm not with the NSA, I'll just call it a day. I tried my best.
boomer_techie

Post by boomer_techie »

knightrider wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:56 am When the bitcoin is "made", don't the people making it keep a copy of the private key? If so, could they somehow be contacted to retrieve the key?
Conceptually, each transaction (payment) has its own key. When you request payment via bitcoin, you tell the sender to "place the bitcoin in such and such cubbyhole" - one for which you have the key. Once sent, the sender cannot pull it back.
Assume you spilled coffee on the paper on which the twelve words were written and now you can only read 10 and a letter or two of another word. Or for some reason you have only eleven words (transcription error) and don't know which one is missing. Or you gave each of your four kids a list of three words, but they don't know the order of the groups. These can be brute forced.

Brute forcing all twelve words is the same as raiding any arbitrary wallet. If you can do that, the whole system breaks. With our present understanding of crypto that is not now possible and it never will be possible.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Man who accidentally threw out a bitcoin fortune offers $70 million for permission to dig it up:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/15/uk/bitco ... index.html

since he had 7500 bitcoins at current price of $35,000/bitcoin he'd have $262,500,000. Surely enough to pay $70,000,000 to recover his bitcoin. That's a 26.7% commission!