Pragmatic "audiophile" receiver recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Pigeye Brewster

Re: Pragmatic "audiophile" receiver recommendations

Post by Pigeye Brewster »

jrbdmb wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:27 pm BTW, what is he best way to get music from my iPhone to a stereo system? Direct connect would work but require the iPhone to be next to the system. Perhaps a bluetooth receiver with audio out?
I use Apple AirPlay via an Airport Express unit connected to my receiver (an older Denon). Works well and is generally considered to be higher fidelity than Bluetooth.

Apple discontinued the Airport Express but many newer receivers have AirPlay built in.
Afty

Post by Afty »

jrbdmb wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:27 pm
queso wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:08 am
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:28 pm Alas, my audio system did not survive DW's living room furniture redo. The hulking entertainment furniture did need to go, for sure.

No more Onkyo TX-SR805 7.1 receiver, driving 6 surround speakers, a center speaker, and a subwoofer from HSU Research. The speakers are beautiful, real birdseye maple. Now I have a sound bar and a wireless subwoofer in the living room for the television. :(

I suppose the only saving grace is my hearing probably isn't what it used to be years ago.

The old speakers are in an upstairs bedroom closet, the receiver in my garage. My old Onkyo 777 was recently taken to the recycling drop-off point, it finally died. It had been doing duty in my garage, after residing in the living room prior to me buying the Onkyo TX-SR805 7.1 receiver.

I have always liked my Onkyo receivers, in fact I have a new Onkyo 5.1 TX NR535 in my closet I might set up in my bedroom one day. I bought it in a Groupon deal.

Before my Onkyo receivers I had a Rotel receiver. It wasn't half bad in the 1970ties.

Broken Man 1999
No more Hsu? Oh man...that's one of my favorite purchases of the last few years. I'll never forget the look on my wife's face when I hauled it in from the garage. "uh, sorry, dear, I, uh, didn't know it was this big" :D
I'm very happy that my family room setup has the entertainment center in one corner, it creates a great hiding place for my 12" Rythmic powered subwoofer. This plus a small set of Martin Logan bookshelf speakers and a Yamaha receiver works for me.

BTW, what is he best way to get music from my iPhone to a stereo system? Direct connect would work but require the iPhone to be next to the system. Perhaps a bluetooth receiver with audio out?
I suggest using AirPlay to cast from the iPhone either directly to the receiver (many modern receivers support AirPlay) or to a device like an Apple TV or Roku that is connected to the receiver via HDMI. AirPlay is lossless, while Bluetooth is not. It's also more convenient than Bluetooth IMO.
Topic Author
AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn »

midareff wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:35 am
Dottie57 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:59 pm
midareff wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:22 am
statman wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:14 pm I would question the idea of a receiver, defined as a box that includes AM/FM along with an amp. Every radio station I have any interest in has online streaming, and there are many online-only stations that cater to special interests in music. I have a Cambridge CXN streamer, which also connects to streaming software on a PC to access my CD library, now ripped to high-quality FLAC audio files. I haven't turned on the tuner in my component system for years - over the air is over the hill.
Interesting comment statman. ... I'm using the Cambridge CXN (V2) streamer as FM radio of quality has disappeared in Miami. No classical stations, the Jazz station seems to be off air now and if you exclude the college, talk, Hispanic and Creole language stations that leaves one country and one rock station both loaded with advertising. I've had the Cambridge about a year and have it feeding a Benchmark DAC 3 b now and the variation in sound quality from station to station is amazing. I was going to start re-ripping my CDs into a lossless format but think I may go with a Tidal subscription instead.
I am going to re-rip my CDs. I always want to have music available even if internet is out.
I had strongly considered doing that myself Dottie until I investigated the time that would be involved in ripping FLAC perfect bit copies..... the Blue Node Vault takes about 20 minutes a disc. ... not to mention that older CDs were transferred to disc in methods that are inferior to today's. A couple of days ago I signed up for a $4 for 4 months trial of Tidal. I have been going through some of my more obscure jazz recordings and they seem to have everything ever done by most of the artists, and I mean everything they released as well as sat in on. The only thing I couldn't find was the Broadway Cast version of Miss Saigon, they only had the International Cast version. Guess I will have to keep that one and a CD player.
Thanks for the tip on tidal. Good points on older discs. Alas Tidal doesn't yet have a linux client (and is limited through browsers). Will keep my eye on it!
midareff

Post by midareff »

AnonJohn wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:57 pm
midareff wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:22 am
statman wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:14 pm I would question the idea of a receiver, defined as a box that includes AM/FM along with an amp. Every radio station I have any interest in has online streaming, and there are many online-only stations that cater to special interests in music. I have a Cambridge CXN streamer, which also connects to streaming software on a PC to access my CD library, now ripped to high-quality FLAC audio files. I haven't turned on the tuner in my component system for years - over the air is over the hill.
Interesting comment statman. ... I'm using the Cambridge CXN (V2) streamer as FM radio of quality has disappeared in Miami. No classical stations, the Jazz station seems to be off air now and if you exclude the college, talk, Hispanic and Creole language stations that leaves one country and one rock station both loaded with advertising. I've had the Cambridge about a year and have it feeding a Benchmark DAC 3 b now and the variation in sound quality from station to station is amazing. I was going to start re-ripping my CDs into a lossless format but think I may go with a Tidal subscription instead.
I am going to re-rip my CDs. I always want to have music available even if internet is out.
I had strongly considered doing that myself Dottie until I investigated the time that would be involved in ripping FLAC perfect bit copies..... the Blue Node Vault takes about 20 minutes a disc. ... not to mention that older CDs were transferred to disc in methods that are inferior to today's. A couple of days ago I signed up for a $4 for 4 months trial of Tidal. I have been going through some of my more obscure jazz recordings and they seem to have everything ever done by most of the artists, and I mean everything they released as well as sat in on. The only thing I couldn't find was the Broadway Cast version of Miss Saigon, they only had the International Cast version. Guess I will have to keep that one and a CD player.
Thanks for the tip on tidal. Good points on older discs. Alas Tidal doesn't yet have a linux client (and is limited through browsers). Will keep my eye on it!
Can't speak to that John... Tidal is built into my streamer and the phone app runs it all beautifully.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

midareff wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:39 am
midareff wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:22 am Interesting comment statman. ... I'm using the Cambridge CXN (V2) streamer as FM radio of quality has disappeared in Miami. No classical stations, the Jazz station seems to be off air now and if you exclude the college, talk, Hispanic and Creole language stations that leaves one country and one rock station both loaded with advertising. I've had the Cambridge about a year and have it feeding a Benchmark DAC 3 b now and the variation in sound quality from station to station is amazing. I was going to start re-ripping my CDs into a lossless format but think I may go with a Tidal subscription instead.
Can't speak to that John... Tidal is built into my streamer and the phone app runs it all beautifully.
I don't know anything about TIDAL's Linux support, but if at all possible, I'd find a way to use it. IMO it is a superior streaming service.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Topic Author
AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:44 am
midareff wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:39 am
I don't know anything about TIDAL's Linux support, but if at all possible, I'd find a way to use it. IMO it is a superior streaming service.
Within a year I'll hopefully have a Denon receiver, and it will support TIDAL natively. To the future and beyond! :sharebeer