qualified dividend info on Vanguard Utility Index Funds

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Post Reply
Topic Author
photodog25
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:11 pm

qualified dividend info on Vanguard Utility Index Funds

Post by photodog25 »

I am interested in the fund VUIAX to be held in a taxable account. Is there any way to find a history of the qualified and non-qualified dividends and capital gains the fund has distributed in the last 5 years? I can find info about total dividends distributed, but not the breakdown of how much of the dividends were qualified. I have called Vanguard and they could not answer the question regarding qualified vs non-qualified dividends distributed.
User avatar
Hookem_1
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:27 pm

Re: qualified dividend info on Vanguard Utility Index Funds

Post by Hookem_1 »

Here you go. Tap on the distributions button next to returns at the top

https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/ ... erformance
Uniballer
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:55 am

Re: qualified dividend info on Vanguard Utility Index Funds

Post by Uniballer »

I found the QDI numbers for 2020, 2019, and 2018 just by searching google for e.g. "Vanguard Qualified Dividends 2018". I didn't bother to look back any further.

FYI, VUIAX dividends were 100% qualified for each of those 3 years.
Topic Author
photodog25
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:11 pm

Re: qualified dividend info on Vanguard Utility Index Funds

Post by photodog25 »

Thank you all. I found all the info I was looking for and learned something new about the morningstar website!
Robert20
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:51 pm

Re: qualified dividend info on Vanguard Utility Index Funds

Post by Robert20 »

Hookem_1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:07 pm Here you go. Tap on the distributions button next to returns at the top

https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/ ... erformance
It shows ST/LT as zero??!!

Date Income S/T Cap Gain L/T Cap Gain Return of Cap Total

2020 2.1819 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 2.1819
2019 2.0252 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 2.025
User avatar
Hookem_1
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:27 pm

Re: qualified dividend info on Vanguard Utility Index Funds

Post by Hookem_1 »

Robert20 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:38 pm
Hookem_1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:07 pm Here you go. Tap on the distributions button next to returns at the top

https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/ ... erformance
It shows ST/LT as zero??!!

Date Income S/T Cap Gain L/T Cap Gain Return of Cap Total

2020 2.1819 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 2.1819
2019 2.0252 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 2.025
That’s because the fund only pays dividends and does not pay capital gains.
crefwatch
Posts: 817
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: qualified dividend info on Vanguard Utility Index Funds

Post by crefwatch »

As others noted, it is easy to get Google to show you what you want. I think it is unnecessary to go back five years, because this fund is unlikely to have much variation in its percent. By definition, it holds companies with qualified dividends.

It can be unwise to rely on exact data from Morningstar. From a big company like Vanguard, it's best to go to the horse's mouth:

https://advisors.vanguard.com/VGApp/iip ... yeartodate
Robert20
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:51 pm

Re: qualified dividend info on Vanguard Utility Index Funds

Post by Robert20 »

Hookem_1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:41 pm
Robert20 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:38 pm
Hookem_1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:07 pm Here you go. Tap on the distributions button next to returns at the top

https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/ ... erformance
It shows ST/LT as zero??!!

Date Income S/T Cap Gain L/T Cap Gain Return of Cap Total

2020 2.1819 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 2.1819
2019 2.0252 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 2.025
That’s because the fund only pays dividends and does not pay capital gains.
ARKK/ARKW gave S/T & L/T gains in Dec 2020.. But I dont see in MS.

Distribution Date Distrib NAV Income S/T Cap Gain L/T Cap Gain Returnof Cap Total
Dec 29, 2020 124.32 2.0443 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 2.0443
User avatar
Hookem_1
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:27 pm

Re: qualified dividend info on Vanguard Utility Index Funds

Post by Hookem_1 »

Robert20 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:45 pm
Hookem_1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:41 pm
Robert20 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:38 pm
Hookem_1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:07 pm Here you go. Tap on the distributions button next to returns at the top

https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/ ... erformance
It shows ST/LT as zero??!!

Date Income S/T Cap Gain L/T Cap Gain Return of Cap Total

2020 2.1819 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 2.1819
2019 2.0252 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 2.025
That’s because the fund only pays dividends and does not pay capital gains.
ARKK/ARKW gave S/T & L/T gains in Dec 2020.. But I dont see in MS.

Distribution Date Distrib NAV Income S/T Cap Gain L/T Cap Gain Returnof Cap Total
Dec 29, 2020 124.32 2.0443 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 2.0443
He asked specifically about VUIAX. Not sure what your point is
Robert20
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:51 pm

Re: qualified dividend info on Vanguard Utility Index Funds

Post by Robert20 »

Hookem_1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:49 pm
Robert20 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:45 pm
Hookem_1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:41 pm
Robert20 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:38 pm
Hookem_1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:07 pm Here you go. Tap on the distributions button next to returns at the top

https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/ ... erformance
It shows ST/LT as zero??!!

Date Income S/T Cap Gain L/T Cap Gain Return of Cap Total

2020 2.1819 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 2.1819
2019 2.0252 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 2.025
That’s because the fund only pays dividends and does not pay capital gains.
ARKK/ARKW gave S/T & L/T gains in Dec 2020.. But I dont see in MS.

Distribution Date Distrib NAV Income S/T Cap Gain L/T Cap Gain Returnof Cap Total
Dec 29, 2020 124.32 2.0443 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 2.0443
He asked specifically about VUIAX. Not sure what your point is
simple.. MS is not showing data properly...
Post Reply