Surprise financial disaster, severe debt $300K caused by brother-in-law - Please help!

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
itaos

Re: Surprise financial disaster, severe debt $300K caused by brother-in-law - Please help!

Post by itaos »

phatkev wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:05 pm
denovo wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:14 am Any further updates OP?
Believe it or not, we are still in the courts trying to get a full accounting. The BIL is stalling, judge is getting inpatient, I'm at my wits end. Lots of drama ensued throughout the family over the course of this.

On top of all of this financial problems, my mother passed away a few months ago which has been difficult on all of us. She's in a much better place now, as she was suffering for the past 8 years. Now I'm dealing with trying to settle her estate which is difficult to do with all these outstanding financial questions. I'm sure that there will be lots more to come.

Thanks for checking in. I'll keep you updated.
Any updates? I know it's an old topic but the OP seems to be active recently
Topic Author
phatkev

Re: Surprise financial disaster, severe debt $300K caused by brother-in-law - Please help!

Post by phatkev »

Yes, this all came to a close 2 years ago when the judge finally gave a decree that my BIL would have to pay back my mother’s estate about $150,000 which of course he did not have. All of my mothers remaining assets had to go back to the state because it was owed for the medicaid that was paid out prior to the realization that she had money, I ultimately resigned as the conservator and handed everything over to a state so I wouldn’t be responsible for needing to go after my brother in law. Though we had a tumultuous relationship I still saw him on a regular basis because of my nieces and nephews. However that all came to an end after my BIL got into a car accident and was killed last October. He will be sued by the family of the person he hit and also killed so there won’t be any money left for anyone. It’s a tragic ending to a horrible story. I wish I had a better way to end this, but unfortunately this is how it is.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I am so sorry for your family, especially any nieces and nephews who have lost their father. Thank you for updating us. I am sure it was difficult to write.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Unfortunate ending, wise on your part to resign and distance yourself from the financial mess.

I hope your family can find peace and closure, surely it will take time.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
KneePartsPro

Post by KneePartsPro »

Tragic indeed. Very sorry to hear of your loss.
I can tell you almost anything about artificial knees used in knee replacement, and almost nothing about investing.
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

Very sorry to hear, OP. You and your family have been through so much. I wish you all peace going forward. Wish I had more to offer you.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Wow, so sorry. At least you were able to extricate yourself from the mess.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I am sorry for how it ended.

This makes me really appreciate my family.
denovo

Post by denovo »

phatkev wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:55 pm Yes, this all came to a close 2 years ago when the judge finally gave a decree that my BIL would have to pay back my mother’s estate about $150,000 which of course he did not have. All of my mothers remaining assets had to go back to the state because it was owed for the medicaid that was paid out prior to the realization that she had money, I ultimately resigned as the conservator and handed everything over to a state so I wouldn’t be responsible for needing to go after my brother in law. Though we had a tumultuous relationship I still saw him on a regular basis because of my nieces and nephews. However that all came to an end after my BIL got into a car accident and was killed last October. He will be sued by the family of the person he hit and also killed so there won’t be any money left for anyone. It’s a tragic ending to a horrible story. I wish I had a better way to end this, but unfortunately this is how it is.
Did the state ever ask you to testify or sign an affidavit
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln