My company denies academic tuition assistance request

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
bigtex

My company denies academic tuition assistance request

Post by bigtex »

Our company has an academic tuition assistance program that employees can apply to. I am pursuing my MBA and figured the company would support this. Well they denied my $5,000 tuition assistance application.

What should I make of this? I thought the company would gladly approve $5,000 as it shows my willingness to further my learning and knowledge and grow within this company. Should I not worry about it or should I start looking for different employment?

Re: My company denies academic tuition assistance request

Post by 123 »

You should review the company policy and see if your academic plan falls within company guidelines. Some plans can require pre-approval before any assistance is provided. Plans can have all kinds of restrictions by policy and practice like length of service, performance ratings, and current position. Some companies may not provide MBA support for someone not already in a management position. Some might not support an MBA for someone who is already a manager. Maybe an MBA is supported for an accounting/finance employee but not a technical employee.

All-in-all tuition assistance is largely discretionary.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Check with HR. Maybe you just filled something out wrong.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
Topic Author
bigtex

Post by bigtex »

I met all the guidelines and my manager encouraged me to seek assistance for it.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

bigtex wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:37 pm I met all the guidelines and my manager encouraged me to seek assistance for it.
then why dont you ask that manager???
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

As another poster asked in your previous thread on getting an MBA, "What new responsibilities did[will] you take on (or how much did[will] your productivity increase) after acquiring the MBA?"

viewtopic.php?p=5277861#p5277861

You asked in that thread whether you would get a raise by getting an MBA and if not, whether you should look for jobs that pay more when you have an MBA. You also posted a thread a couple of weeks ago about whether to terminate your employment to do a 401k rollover and going back after a few months.

In most of these situations, the company is likely to only provide tuition assistance if your obtaining an MBA benefits them. If you are indicating (or even sending signals) that you don't intend to stay and put our degree to use for the benefit of your employer, they are unlikely to look favorably upon your request. Is it possible that company "scuttlebutt" is that you are planning on getting your MBA and leaving for greener pastures?

The best course of action is first, to candidly reflect upon your motives, goals and objectives in seeking this MBA. If you can honestly communicate to your employer how you intend to use your education for the benefit of your employer, then meet with HR to review the denial of your request.

Best wishes...
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Are you asking for reimbursement of money already spent, or approval to take the program?

$5,000 is a lot of money at one time. Are you sure you don't need approval for each course before you take them?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Topic Author
bigtex

Post by bigtex »

cheese_breath wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:56 pm Are you asking for reimbursement of money already spent, or approval to take the program?

$5,000 is a lot of money at one time. Are you sure you don't need approval for each course before you take them?
It’s a 5,000 scholarship directly to my school. I am midway through the program. All in all, it’s peanuts because I am easily afford it, but it’s the principle of my employer not supporting me in this that is bothersome.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I think it depends. Was it a case of you meeting all requirements and getting approval and then they said "no"?

Some companies will only pay for degrees related to your work. For example if I'm an engineer then a tech degree would be fine but a MBA would often be rejected. Now maybe if I was technical but managing people as well, the answer could be yes.

At one time MBA degrees seemed to be a dime a dozen and many places I worked, wouldn't pay for them, especially for people in tech fields.

But I've never worked anywhere that guaranteed any kind of salary increase based on getting a masters degree. And often those people, once they met their time commitment, would leave the company.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
alec

Post by alec »

bigtex wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:37 pm I met all the guidelines and my manager encouraged me to seek assistance for it.
I’d find out who the decision maker was and ask them in writing why they denied it. It could be the head of HR or it could be the head of your department.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Are there written requirements to receive this assistance? If so, compare to your situation. I've had all kinds of different requirements which managers could over-ride.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Rex66

Post by Rex66 »

Does this really benefit the company? Or is this a situation where it doesn’t really bring value to the company but instead creates a situation where you demand a raise bc of credentials or jump ship for a different type of position based on your additional education?
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

It’s usually management discretion. There’s always a higher up manager that might nix it.

Could be a lot of things.

Maybe it’s not directly related to your job?
Maybe you filled out something wrong?
Maybe money is tight for your employer?
Maybe they don’t envision you using that to their benefit?
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

so what did your manager say about the denial?

(this is the second time this question is being asked)
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

I think it comes down to whether your management feels that the investment in your MBA program will benefit the company.

I know people in my MegaCorp who were approved for an MBA program, and I know of one person who was denied for the program but was approved on a semester-by-semester (class by class) basis.

That person ended up getting an MBA, but it was not by a program sponsorship by the MegaCorp.

Perhaps you should pursue getting individual course or semester tuition assistance instead of a whole program assistance?

-B
Topic Author
bigtex

Post by bigtex »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:31 pm

Just seemed shocked like I was. But didn’t say he was going to do anything about it.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

bigtex wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:25 pmWell they denied my $5,000 tuition assistance application.
Because... ?
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
lstone19

Post by lstone19 »

bigtex wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:58 pm It’s a 5,000 scholarship directly to my school.
I'm not sure what that means. With every employer I've had who had a tuition assistance program, it was tuition reimbursement after the completion of the class and with a minimum graded requirement (typically a B for graduate work).
Tracker968

Post by Tracker968 »

I was a technical employee and got my Fortune 500 employer to pay for my Masters in technology management (MSTM). However they didn't pay for the marketers to get their MBAs.
I had to get approval for the program and them submitted for reimbursement after completion with a C or higher. They didn't cover books or other misc. expenses.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

Our tuition reimbursement program will reimburse up to $10k annually for any full time employee seeking an undergraduate degree. There are some rules regarding passing grades and accreditation of the school, but it’s otherwise available with no pre approval. Considering it’s for an undergrad degree, the program is targeted to a pretty specific group in the company that don’t already have that degree, lots of our manufacturing team members.

Only with prior approval can someone get reimbursed for a graduate degree.
pondering

Post by pondering »

How does an MBA help you with your current role at the company?
--Robert Sterbal | robert@sterbal.com | 412-977-3526
Pandemic Bangs

Post by Pandemic Bangs »

Is this an online program? Many of them are predatory and of no value.

I worked with a "PhD/MBA" who could barely do data entry and was practically untrainable. Both were online-only degrees from places that you have never heard of. I would not support that type of program for employees.
Wait 'til I get my money right | Then you can't tell me nothing, right?
usagi

Post by usagi »

Rex66 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:20 pm Does this really benefit the company? Or is this a situation where it doesn’t really bring value to the company but instead creates a situation where you demand a raise bc of credentials or jump ship for a different type of position based on your additional education?
This.

Companies are loaded with employees who use academic credentials as cudgel to ask for non-merit raises or the presumption for advancement. Employers are tired of this game and tired of employees who bring up their MBA or their latest certification to lobby for a salary increase or promotion at every review.

The value of the MBA in in the new insight it gives you into business, how it alters your decision making process, and how it positively alters your analytic ability, those attributes should increase your innate value in the marketplace provided you have an opportunity to utilize your talents. An MBA is an investment you make in yourself. Your payoff comes when apply the skills you learned in a way that increases your value in the market.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

bigtex wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:25 pm Our company has an academic tuition assistance program that employees can apply to. I am pursuing my MBA and figured the company would support this. Well they denied my $5,000 tuition assistance application.

What should I make of this? I thought the company would gladly approve $5,000 as it shows my willingness to further my learning and knowledge and grow within this company. Should I not worry about it or should I start looking for different employment?
Is it possible that your company doesn’t value you as much as you think they should? If so, is the grass really greener at another employer?
esteen

Post by esteen »

galawdawg wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:52 pm As another poster asked in your previous thread on getting an MBA, "What new responsibilities did[will] you take on (or how much did[will] your productivity increase) after acquiring the MBA?"

viewtopic.php?p=5277861#p5277861

You asked in that thread whether you would get a raise by getting an MBA and if not, whether you should look for jobs that pay more when you have an MBA. You also posted a thread a couple of weeks ago about whether to terminate your employment to do a 401k rollover and going back after a few months.

In most of these situations, the company is likely to only provide tuition assistance if your obtaining an MBA benefits them. If you are indicating (or even sending signals) that you don't intend to stay and put our degree to use for the benefit of your employer, they are unlikely to look favorably upon your request. Is it possible that company "scuttlebutt" is that you are planning on getting your MBA and leaving for greener pastures?

The best course of action is first, to candidly reflect upon your motives, goals and objectives in seeking this MBA. If you can honestly communicate to your employer how you intend to use your education for the benefit of your employer, then meet with HR to review the denial of your request.

Best wishes...
Maybe management happen to frequent this forum... :?:
This post is for entertainment or information only, and should not be construed as professional financial advice. | | "Invest your money passively and your time actively" -Michael LeBoeuf
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

bigtex wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:58 pm
cheese_breath wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:56 pm Are you asking for reimbursement of money already spent, or approval to take the program?

It’s a 5,000 scholarship directly to my school. I am midway through the program. All in all, it’s peanuts because I am easily afford it, but it’s the principle of my employer not supporting me in this that is bothersome.
Given your employer pays your salary, they may be aware you aren't really in need of financial assistance. Perhaps you can ask H.R. why you didn't get the assistance, what the appeals process is and ask your manager to support your appeal to the decision?
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

You are in the middle of an MBA, you can complete two case studies.

1. Research what went wrong, that the company is not paying the $5000 for the MBA. Reasons and what the employee can learn from this.

2. Should an employee switch jobs for not not getting $5000 fir his MBA. Do the cost analysis and the career progression for the next ten years.
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

You are in the middle of an MBA, you can complete two case studies.

1. Research what went wrong, that the company is not paying the $5000 for the MBA. Reasons and what the employee can learn from this.

2. Should an employee switch jobs for not not getting $5000 for his MBA. Do the cost analysis and the career progression for the next ten years.
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

I would certainly ask HR for an explanation and see if you can reapply. Ask around and see if colleagues have had similar experience, i.e. whether it was a policy decision or something personal.

In general I would consider free tuition a perk rather than something you are entitled to. Only worth leaving if you have reason to believe it was targeted at you somehow.
slyfox1357

Post by slyfox1357 »

Your manager is just an intermediary, leave him/her out of the discussion. The reimbursement is coming from your company's budget, not your department's budget. Most companies have guidelines around what is and isn't permitted, timing of applying, and reimbursement parameters (i.e. it will get paid if you get a A or a B or pass/fail and it will be reimbursed back to us if you leave the company within x number of years). I assume you've met or understand clearly all of these. Lastly, unfortunately I've also seen where there is a grey (read subjective) area beyond that where it can be denied based on 'applicability' to your role (or future role) at the discretion of the company. I'd never assume I would get full reimbursement unless I met every guideline and it was pre-approved by HR.
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

Tuition reimbursement has been an employment perk for over fifty years.

Companies have figured out that most of the time after a degree is obtained (and after the last reimbursement is made) the employee moves on.

I viewed my employer's reimbursement for my MBA simply as part of my compensation and when I asked whether there was going to be some bump up after receipt and was told "no", nobody was surprised when I left within a week. Not even me.

OP, you should view your tuition reimbursement denial just as if you didn't receive an implied raise. Don't get mad. Just find another employer if you feel somehow aggrieved.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
SQRT

Post by SQRT »

This is an important issue for you, and you need to assess what went wrong. Could be an important indication that your career isn’t in good shape or just that your company is reassessing it’s program and not specific to you. Sounds like a good subject for a meeting with your bosses and HR. Not much an anonymous chat room can add. Don’t ignore this, it’s important.
Last edited by SQRT on Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
sd323232

Post by sd323232 »

bigtex wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:35 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:31 pm

Just seemed shocked like I was. But didn’t say he was going to do anything about it.
well, thats the problem, do you really wanna work in place where your manager is totally clueless?
davemanjam

Post by davemanjam »

A lot of times these things are handled/reviewed by a third party and if documentation is not correct or anything is out of order it won't be approved.
There should be a process to correct it.
Bottom line is you need to understand why it was denied.
Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner »

As others said, see what your company policy is and see if you filed something wrong. Contact HR or talk to your manager.

It can be something big as it won't benefit your current career path. Or it could be silly as the right leader missed the approval email and didn't approve it in time. It could also be only given to top rated employees. I have also seen people have to commit to a few more years to the company after graduation. There really could be a lot of things.
Afty

Post by Afty »

Agree with everyone else that you need to talk to the group that approves these things and find out why it wasn’t approved. I would expect there to be some written policy on what is and isn’t reimbursable for tuition, and they should be able to point you to that and show what criteria you didn’t meet.