Interest Only Mortgage

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Count of Notre Dame

Interest Only Mortgage

Post by Count of Notre Dame »

I am considering modifying my 10/1 ARM to an interest only mortgage and maintaining the same interest rate (2.75%). If you could modify your existing mortgage to an interest only mortgage, would you? Assuming you can make the principal payments on the traditional loan.
BlueCable

Re: Interest Only Mortgage

Post by BlueCable »

I would but my wife would not agree to it.
lucky_tech_guy

Post by lucky_tech_guy »

I already did.
Topic Author
Count of Notre Dame

lucky_tech_guy wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:05 pm I already did.
What has been your plan for the extra cash flow?
lucky_tech_guy

Post by lucky_tech_guy »

I get paid mostly in RSUs so I'm hoping to sell less and not take the capital gains hits. So basically just invest it.

Count of Notre Dame wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:43 pm
What has been your plan for the extra cash flow?
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

It makes sense if you have a non-recourse loan. You can only lose the house if you walk away from the mortgage.

KlangFool
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

lucky_tech_guy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:27 pm ...I get paid mostly in RSUs so I'm hoping to sell less and not take the capital gains hits. So basically just invest it.

I think you will soon have any awful lot of your net worth tied up in the company you work for. In good times this can be quite beneficial, but when the going gets rough you may wish that you had been more diversified.
Topic Author
Count of Notre Dame

KlangFool wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:29 pm OP,

It makes sense if you have a non-recourse loan. You can only lose the house if you walk away from the mortgage.

KlangFool
Thanks Klang!
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Count of Notre Dame wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:09 pm

KlangFool
Thanks Klang!
Count of Notre Dame,

Do you plan to take out all the home equities in the house? Then, you can walk away from the house and lose nothing.

KlangFool
lakpr

Post by lakpr »

KlangFool wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:15 pm

KlangFool
Thanks Klang!
Count of Notre Dame,

Do you plan to take out all the home equities in the house? Then, you can walk away from the house and lose nothing.

KlangFool
Even in California where non-recourse loans are a thing, only primary mortgages are non-recourse. Home equity loans are never non-recourse, the lender can continue to pursue you, unless you declare bankruptcy and include the HEL lender in the bankruptcy petition. Even the primary mortgages aren't non-recourse, if refinanced.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

lakpr wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:27 pm Even the primary mortgages aren't non-recourse, if refinanced.
Incorrect.

https://www.weltman.com/publication-the ... cy-balance
A state with one of the most stringent anti-deficiency laws is California. California CCP § 580b(3) states that no deficiency judgment shall lie under a deed of trust or mortgage on a dwelling for not more than four families given to a lender to secure repayment of a loan which was in fact used to pay all or part of the purchase price of that dwelling, occupied entirely or in part by the purchaser. Simply put, there can be no deficiency judgment after foreclosing on a “purchase-money loan” that was obtained for the purpose of purchasing the property. It does not matter if it’s a first, second, or third mortgage, or whether it was a home equity line of credit. If the borrower obtained the loan and granted a mortgage to the lender to secure all or part of the purchase price, no deficiency is permitted after foreclosure.

Moreover, CCP § 580 was recently amended by the California legislature to include refinances of a purchase-money loan as exempt from deficiency. § 580c states that no deficiency judgment shall lie in any event on any loan, refinance, or other credit transaction which is used to refinance a purchase money loan, or subsequent refinances to a purchase money loan, except to the extent that the lender advances new principal which is not applied to the balance on the purchase money loan. Refinances were generally excluded from the Anti-Deficiency Law prior to the 2012 amendment.
Topic Author
Count of Notre Dame

KlangFool
Thanks Klang!
Count of Notre Dame,

KlangFool
I don't plan to cash out and I'm actually doing a loan modification, not a refinance, so my payoff period (~28 years remaining) will be the same.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Count of Notre Dame wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:02 pm

KlangFool
Thanks Klang!
Count of Notre Dame,

KlangFool
I don't plan to cash out and I'm actually doing a loan modification, not a refinance, so my payoff period (~28 years remaining) will be the same.
Count of Notre Dame,

My question to you would be why not? It will lower your exposure to the house.

KlangFool
lucky_tech_guy

Post by lucky_tech_guy »

I made the mistake to diversify 2 years ago and now I'm short $8M that I could have had.

CurlyDave wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:33 pm
lucky_tech_guy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:27 pm ...I get paid mostly in RSUs so I'm hoping to sell less and not take the capital gains hits. So basically just invest it.

I think you will soon have any awful lot of your net worth tied up in the company you work for. In good times this can be quite beneficial, but when the going gets rough you may wish that you had been more diversified.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Mind saying which bank?
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
lucky_tech_guy

Post by lucky_tech_guy »

Bank of America. I can send contact info if you want, he was great to deal with.
ScubaHogg wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:53 am
Mind saying which bank?
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

lucky_tech_guy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:58 am Bank of America. I can send contact info if you want, he was great to deal with.
ScubaHogg wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:53 am
Mind saying which bank?
Yes please. Thank you. Feel free to PM
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French