Got my stimulus check, how about you?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Monster99

Re: $600 stimulus

Post by Monster99 »

Check arrived on Monday 1/11/21.
BeerTooth

Post by BeerTooth »

the IRS has a website where you can enter your info and find the status of your payment, rather than speculating:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment
go_mets

Re: Got my stimulus check, how about you?

Post by go_mets »

So, if I filed a paper return for 2019 and even if my first stimulus payment was direct deposited using the IRS online tool to enter my bank information, I won't get the second sitmulus payment direct deposited?

I am definitely eligible based on AGI.
1rl9DS5gl2

Post by 1rl9DS5gl2 »

If you got the previous payment via prepaid card, does that imply the current payment will be done the same way?
BeerTooth

Post by BeerTooth »

1rl9DS5gl2 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:05 pm If you got the previous payment via prepaid card, does that imply the current payment will be done the same way?
I received my first payment via direct deposit, and my second payment via paper check

This website (https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment) tells you how you will receive your second payment, rather than speculating and asking random online strangers
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged bugleheadd's thread into the ongoing discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

BeerTooth wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:55 pm
1rl9DS5gl2 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:05 pm If you got the previous payment via prepaid card, does that imply the current payment will be done the same way?
I received my first payment via direct deposit, and my second payment via paper check

This website (https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment) tells you how you will receive your second payment, rather than speculating and asking random online strangers
I read that website, and it does not tell me how I will receive my second payment.
Don't generalize unless you have actually encountered the cryptic message I got.

Taj_Mahalo

Post by Taj_Mahalo »

BeerTooth wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:55 pm I received my first payment via direct deposit, and my second payment via paper check
Same for me which I thought was odd. I actually haven’t received the check yet though. Get my payment site says it was sent on 1/6. Do you recall about how long it took for yours to arrive?
Income is not wealth. Wealth is not income. Both are equally as important and either is capable of producing the other.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

Nope!
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

It's curious. We got ours deposited into our bank account last year. This year, the IRS states they will be mailing us a check. Not sure what that is all about….
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Taj_Mahalo wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:14 pm
BeerTooth wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:55 pm I received my first payment via direct deposit, and my second payment via paper check
Same for me which I thought was odd. I actually haven’t received the check yet though. Get my payment site says it was sent on 1/6. Do you recall about how long it took for yours to arrive?
Same for us as well. "Get My Payment" said that ours was scheduled to be mailed Jan 6 and we got it on Jan 11.
vkat

Post by vkat »

In the same boat!
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

vkat wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:29 pm
In the same boat!
Mine also says mailed on 1/6, but haven’t seen anything yet. I don’t know why checks make me anxious. Last time was a direct deposit.
Geronkas

Post by Geronkas »

Got our stimulus money today. It came on a card even though the IRS Get My Payment site said we would receive a check that was scheduled to be mailed on 6 Jan.

We transferred the money from the card to our bank account, and it will take about 2 to 3 days to deposit into our account.

We got the first stimulus check by direct deposit, so I was totally surprised that we received the second stimulus on a card.
BeerTooth

Post by BeerTooth »

I believe it arrived 3 business days after the date they mailed it
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

manatee2005 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:29 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:08 pm Am not receiving one but it would be nice to have. My wife has been unemployed since July.
You should give your wife the stimulus since she didn’t get it cos of your income
It’s not well known that if your 2020 MAGI qualifies under the rules of the stimulus, you can receive it as a tax credit on your 2020 tax return.

In other words, if you didn’t get the stimulus because your 2019 income was too high, you will still get it if your 2020 income was not.
KeepItSimpleSomehow

Post by KeepItSimpleSomehow »

How change of address worked in my case ...

Received Visa Debit card today, Sat 16th. Site stated mailed 6th.

IRS has no banking info for me and was unable to provide to IRS via the site.

First stimulus was check in mail to address "A" correct at that time.

Moved in summer; changed address via mailing in request (not IRS form) to address for tax for me. Couldn't verify if address was updated; call to IRS she said she didn't have access that I'd have to go to IRS office in person. (Didn't go)

The site didn't match to new address "B", but did match to old address "A" with stimulus mailed date Jan 6th.

Expected a check that would be forwarded. But instead received the debit card to correct new address. :wink: