Attn: All Floridians & Arizonans! [Where to Retire in FL/AZ]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tj

Re: Attn: All Floridians & Arizonans! [Where to Retire in FL/AZ]

Post by tj »

summerof42 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:03 am Would greatly appreciate your input and honest input. I'm looking to retire someplace warm since I do not tolerate the cold. I have friends in Florida (Tampa, Sarasota, etc) and ditto for Arizona (Scottsdale) and no need to worry about leaving family here.

I've gone over pros and cons for months and can't make a decision. I won't list the pros here, the con to AZ is cost of housing and I don't know how I could afford it. I was shocked to see the pricing. A really nice condo and town homes START in the $500k range and run into the millions. And then of course the snakes and scorpions. . . but if it was all that bad, why do so many enjoy living out there?

The con to Florida is off course the hurricanes and mosquitos.

So, I thought it's best to take my question to the good folks that live there. Thanks for your input!
My 1BR co-op apartment is listed for $70,000. It's cash only and owner occupied (or direct relative) only, so it's cheaper than a condo. I live in Scottsdale. You don't need to spend millions to live here.
tj

Post by tj »

btenny wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:36 pm Register. Arizona has low property taxes and low income taxes for retirees. It also has almost no natural disaster things like hurricanes or earth quakes. So home insurance costs are low. SO net net home owner tax costs are low.

Florida may have no income tax but it has huge home insurance costs. This item makes up for no income tax.
I'm not aware of Arizona having a significant income tax perks for retirees vs wage earners.
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

I guess I'm so used to the humidity in FL that I can't bear to be anywhere dry now. My skin feels like it is cracking when I'm somewhere without humidity. I mean, sure, there are body lotions but there's always that spot in the middle of your back that is hard to reach.

OP: this is not a decision you can make without traveling. Take 2 years and spend a winter in each state, moving around to different locations in each state.
Sarah
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

tj wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:13 pm
summerof42 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:03 am Would greatly appreciate your input and honest input. I'm looking to retire someplace warm since I do not tolerate the cold. I have friends in Florida (Tampa, Sarasota, etc) and ditto for Arizona (Scottsdale) and no need to worry about leaving family here.

I've gone over pros and cons for months and can't make a decision. I won't list the pros here, the con to AZ is cost of housing and I don't know how I could afford it. I was shocked to see the pricing. A really nice condo and town homes START in the $500k range and run into the millions. And then of course the snakes and scorpions. . . but if it was all that bad, why do so many enjoy living out there?

So, I thought it's best to take my question to the good folks that live there. Thanks for your input!
My 1BR co-op apartment is listed for $70,000. It's cash only and owner occupied (or direct relative) only, so it's cheaper than a condo. I live in Scottsdale. You don't need to spend millions to live here.
$70K for an apt in Scottsdale?! You can barely buy an apt in Mesa for that...
tj

Post by tj »

Workaholic wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:32 pm
tj wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:13 pm

$70K for an apt in Scottsdale?! You can barely buy an apt in Mesa for that...
Yes. There are 3 co-op communities here right next to each other. You can get a 3br townhouse for like 150k. And I might not even be able to sell the 1BR for the 70k I'm moving in February. Have any leads? 😅

They are 50 years old. Two of them have websites.

http://consolidatedcooperatives.com/

http://scottsdaleeasthomes.com/
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I've lived off and on in Scottsdale from 2000-2019. I lived in a nice area (McCormick Ranch) and sold my house in October because I don't think the housing prices are sustainable. Of course I hear all the same arguments I heard back in the run up to the peak in 2008 before they bottomed in 2011.

This isn't my previous home but here is an example (and you can see stuff on Zillow if it goes back this far). Back when I was looking at homes in 2003 you could get a 2,000 sq ft home, 2 car garage, pool in a nice area of Scottsdale for around $300K. It rose to $650K+ in ~2008 before bottoming around $290 in late 2011. Those homes are now going for $650K+. And they are going mostly "as is" so the seller doesn't really have to fix anything.

I enjoyed the area, mostly. I didn't come from a resort lifestyle so I liked access to a bunch of resorts, nice restaurants, bars, people watching and the amenities.

Things I detested was the attitude of some people there. Lots of "I have money so I am special", or people trying to keep up appearances even though they didn't really have money. I used to walk the road in front of the Hyatt Gainey Hotel for exercise and the number of Ferraris, Porsches, McLarens, etc. was high (not to mention people significantly exceeding the speed limit).

You also have the HOA issue. While the original intent of an HOA is good (keep things presentable, clean, etc.) many can be expensive and get a bit too full of themselves. Mine wasn't too bad ($250 a year) but there are a ton of rules and some places go crazy with people leaving cars in their own driveways at night if the car doesn't have some kind of permit. Most of Scottsdale involves some form of an HOA.

I would not buy anything right now because I think prices will come down post pandemic. A lot of the price increase is due to buyers simply having no inventory to choose from. I had people asking about my place before it was even listed, multiple offers right away and above list price. Now maybe if you are some kind of flipper you can buy, wait a few months and flip it for a quick (but risky) profit. That happened before.

Others will disagree with me and claim more people are moving to AZ, the WFH thing, etc. but I don't buy that as reasons for the prices to remain this high around AZ. Most jobs are not high paying. And eventually issues like fires and water will get worse and worse.

If I was younger I may not have sold my home but a combination of a great price, knowing it was more maintenance than I wanted in my retirement years (soon), and the lack of ability to do stuff in the virus world made the decision easier. I'll find out later if it was good or bad or maybe just something I needed to do.

I'm crashing on the west side in a much lower income neighborhood (homes in the immediately area are about 25% of what mine went for) but I'm not far from Sun City and Sun City west and other nicer homes. And I'd agree many of them seem quite pricey. Even where I'm at some people add on or tear it down and rebuild since the property is a decent size (1/5 of an acre?). But I don't see a point of teardown/rebuild in an area that isn't ideal for schools and could have a neighbor with a much cheaper home next door. If you never sell, maybe, but usually a person has to sell at some point.

While I'm detesting my commute and the small size of the home I'm staying in, I think it has been a very good change of pace for me. I'm living next door to neighbors struggling to survive on $15/hr and I think it has caused me to appreciate what I have and what is really important in life (happiness/health and not status, keeping up with the joneses, etc.).

My only comment on FL is I detested my time there when I had grandparents living there. The humidity, storms, and insects. At least in AZ you can often sit outside and not deal with bugs flying around, that doesn't work well back east. And since I'm not a beach/ocean person FL has nothing for me.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Arizona is terrible. Blast furnace summers; your shoes will melt. Scorpions and snakes everywhere. Gila monsters meet you at the airport. Believe me, I know. I live here.

Everyone else should stay away or move out.
tj

Post by tj »

Glenn wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:20 pm Arizona is terrible. Blast furnace summers; your shoes will melt. Scorpions and snakes everywhere. Gila monsters meet you at the airport. Believe me, I know. I live here.

Never had a melted shoe. Never seen a scorpion or snake. Don't even know what a gila moster is, been to the airport many times.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

rich126 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:13 pm I've lived off and on in Scottsdale from 2000-2019. I lived in a nice area (McCormick Ranch) and sold my house in October because I don't think the housing prices are sustainable. Of course I hear all the same arguments I heard back in the run up to the peak in 2008 before they bottomed in 2011.

This isn't my previous home but here is an example (and you can see stuff on Zillow if it goes back this far). Back when I was looking at homes in 2003 you could get a 2,000 sq ft home, 2 car garage, pool in a nice area of Scottsdale for around $300K. It rose to $650K+ in ~2008 before bottoming around $290 in late 2011. Those homes are now going for $650K+. And they are going mostly "as is" so the seller doesn't really have to fix anything.

I enjoyed the area, mostly. I didn't come from a resort lifestyle so I liked access to a bunch of resorts, nice restaurants, bars, people watching and the amenities.

Things I detested was the attitude of some people there. Lots of "I have money so I am special", or people trying to keep up appearances even though they didn't really have money. I used to walk the road in front of the Hyatt Gainey Hotel for exercise and the number of Ferraris, Porsches, McLarens, etc. was high (not to mention people significantly exceeding the speed limit).

You also have the HOA issue. While the original intent of an HOA is good (keep things presentable, clean, etc.) many can be expensive and get a bit too full of themselves. Mine wasn't too bad ($250 a year) but there are a ton of rules and some places go crazy with people leaving cars in their own driveways at night if the car doesn't have some kind of permit. Most of Scottsdale involves some form of an HOA.

I would not buy anything right now because I think prices will come down post pandemic. A lot of the price increase is due to buyers simply having no inventory to choose from. I had people asking about my place before it was even listed, multiple offers right away and above list price. Now maybe if you are some kind of flipper you can buy, wait a few months and flip it for a quick (but risky) profit. That happened before.

Others will disagree with me and claim more people are moving to AZ, the WFH thing, etc. but I don't buy that as reasons for the prices to remain this high around AZ. Most jobs are not high paying. And eventually issues like fires and water will get worse and worse.

If I was younger I may not have sold my home but a combination of a great price, knowing it was more maintenance than I wanted in my retirement years (soon), and the lack of ability to do stuff in the virus world made the decision easier. I'll find out later if it was good or bad or maybe just something I needed to do.

I'm crashing on the west side in a much lower income neighborhood (homes in the immediately area are about 25% of what mine went for) but I'm not far from Sun City and Sun City west and other nicer homes. And I'd agree many of them seem quite pricey. Even where I'm at some people add on or tear it down and rebuild since the property is a decent size (1/5 of an acre?). But I don't see a point of teardown/rebuild in an area that isn't ideal for schools and could have a neighbor with a much cheaper home next door. If you never sell, maybe, but usually a person has to sell at some point.

While I'm detesting my commute and the small size of the home I'm staying in, I think it has been a very good change of pace for me. I'm living next door to neighbors struggling to survive on $15/hr and I think it has caused me to appreciate what I have and what is really important in life (happiness/health and not status, keeping up with the joneses, etc.).

My only comment on FL is I detested my time there when I had grandparents living there. The humidity, storms, and insects. At least in AZ you can often sit outside and not deal with bugs flying around, that doesn't work well back east. And since I'm not a beach/ocean person FL has nothing for me.
I agree with everything you've said. From my limited experience visiting my parents in the winter months, there is a staggering amount of wealth as well as those pretending to be wealthy. Their winter home was in Scottsdale Ranch and maybe a couple blocks away from the main entrance was a condo/apartment complex that I drove by and it blew my mind the number of Mercedes, Escalades, BMW's, etc in the outdoor parking lot. Obviously there were a lot of people who enjoyed the appearance of wealth and success but, as my dad used to say, "Wore a big hat but didn't have any cattle". Scottsdale in general was just a very intriguing area and without knowing someone's home situation, just out and about, it was difficult to discern the truly wealthy from those just pretending (for the most part). I saw a fair share of older gentlemen (60's+) with women who were in their 30's...I assume THOSE men didn't just wear a big hat but also had the cattle to back it up... :moneybag :moneybag
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Workaholic wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:41 pm
rich126 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:13 pm I've lived off and on in Scottsdale from 2000-2019. I lived in a nice area (McCormick Ranch) and sold my house in October because I don't think the housing prices are sustainable. Of course I hear all the same arguments I heard back in the run up to the peak in 2008 before they bottomed in 2011.

I agree with everything you've said. From my limited experience visiting my parents in the winter months, there is a staggering amount of wealth as well as those pretending to be wealthy. Their winter home was in Scottsdale Ranch and maybe a couple blocks away from the main entrance was a condo/apartment complex that I drove by and it blew my mind the number of Mercedes, Escalades, BMW's, etc in the outdoor parking lot. Obviously there were a lot of people who enjoyed the appearance of wealth and success but, as my dad used to say, "Wore a big hat but didn't have any cattle". Scottsdale in general was just a very intriguing area and without knowing someone's home situation, just out and about, it was difficult to discern the truly wealthy from those just pretending (for the most part). I saw a fair share of older gentlemen (60's+) with women who were in their 30's...I assume THOSE men didn't just wear a big hat but also had the cattle to back it up... :moneybag :moneybag
Trust me. I could tell stories of my bars, night clubs out in the 2003-2007 time frame. I'm not a big drinker or even someone who hits on women at clubs but it was amazing time to people watch. Basically a mini-vegas before the economy was destroyed and places closed up.

There is a shopping center (Gainey Village) and I used to visit a sports bar since it was close to where I lived and they had a great patio and the cars out front was over the top. Scottsdale Ranch is just over the other side of 101 compared to McCormick Ranch. Believe it or not most of those areas (McCormick Ranch has over 20,000 residents) was owned by one lady, Anne McCormick. She was related to both the Rockefeller and to the family that started International Harvestor. There was a McDonald's (don't judge me) that had aerial photos of the area going from the 1930s or so to the 1980s and it was interesting.

And don't get me wrong. I don't hate the area and had wonderful times there and still may live there but as others have mentioned, you might want to rent and understand the area and see if you like it or hate it. To me pre-virus, sitting in the Gainey Ranch Hyatt with the huge outdoors open and listening to live music while having a drink was wonderful. Not the mention some of the places in Kierland or Scottsdale Quarters. But listening to an employee at a place like Panera's talk about how passe the Hamptons have become isn't my cup of tea.

And there was a long time bar called Eli's. It was near Camelback at one time and moved north to Shea Blvd and I used to visit it often and it was fun times. unfortunately now that I'm in my 50s my desires are different :)
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

The reason you see so many exotic cars in Scottsdale is because Roger Penske owns a half mile long string of auto dealerships in North Scottsdale. From south to north it goes Audi, Porsche, BMW, Land Rover, Jaguar, Ferrari, then the Penske racing museum, then Lamborghini, Bentley, Rolls Royce, and Mercedes- Benz. He also has an Aston-Martin and Bugatti dealership in another part of North Scottsdale.

I bought my lowly BMW X-3 from his dealership. While driving it home to Sedona on Scottsdale Blvd. toward Cave Creek I was passed by a lime green Lambo Huracan followed by a bright yellow Porsche 911 GT-3. Cool!

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

fishnskiguy wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:37 pm The reason you see so many exotic cars in Scottsdale is because Roger Penske owns a half mile long string of auto dealerships in North Scottsdale. From south to north it goes Audi, Porsche, BMW, Land Rover, Jaguar, Ferrari, then the Penske racing museum, then Lamborghini, Bentley, Rolls Royce, and Mercedes- Benz. He also has an Aston-Martin and Bugatti dealership in another part of North Scottsdale.

I bought my lowly BMW X-3 from his dealership. While driving it home to Sedona on Scottsdale Blvd. toward Cave Creek I was passed by a lime green Lambo Huracan followed by a bright yellow Porsche 911 GT-3. Cool!

Chris
Didn't know that! Very cool!

I've traveled to many places but I think Scottsdale may be in the top spot as far as spotting high-end new and vintage automobiles. I've been to 10+ Barrett Jackson auctions over the years in Scottsdale and immensely enjoy seeing some of these vehicles up close. Probably the best examples of classic American and muscle cars anywhere in the world.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

tj wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:39 pm
Glenn wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:20 pm Arizona is terrible. Blast furnace summers; your shoes will melt. Scorpions and snakes everywhere. Gila monsters meet you at the airport. Believe me, I know. I live here.

Never had a melted shoe. Never seen a scorpion or snake. Don't even know what a gila moster is, been to the airport many times.
I believe what you read was either sarcasm or hyperbole :D
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

Moneybags1 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:37 am Forget about the critters. Traffic congestion and drugs in and around cities is no different than the North. I live in Citrus County pop 150k as of 2019. Still rural with lots of retiree subdivisions, low crime and if you don't have to work a decent quality of life. Taxes are low and the county is not far from Tampa/Orlando but far enough from the chaos. Ocala a small city is the Big City here, 25 miles away. There are other even more rural counties to the North.. I have lived here for 25 years and worked for 2 going on 3 generations of retirees. Now we just had a cold snap of the mid 20's last week, 30's this week at night. Count on as many as 7 months a year as a humid heat wave and usually 5-6 of mild temps around 75-80. Would be happy to answer any questions about this particular area. My personal suggestion would be to avoid gated communities with high fees unless that is what you want. To the East there is a huge traffic infested area known as the Villages that encompasses portions of 3 counties and known as the STD capital of the world.

https://www.citrusbocc.com/
75-80 is mild? LOL. not in my neck of the woods, that would be about the high and fine with me.
cwweikel

Post by cwweikel »

Jacksonville in Florida is an awesome city. It is also very reasonably priced and you can get a lot for the money. Lots of retirement communities in Duval and St Johns Counties, Nocatee is one of these in St Johns close to Ponte Vedra Beach.

As for Hurricanes, honestly, Jacksonville does get hit but normally if you are not along the beach, there isn't much flooding or damage at all. I've never had damage to my house from weather and live in the Mandarin area of Jacksonville.

But Yeah the bugs suck...
crinkles2

Post by crinkles2 »

Dude2 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:35 am ^^^
I've never owned a pool, but I was shocked to see...
kiplinger wrote:It costs $177 a week, on average, to maintain a standard 14-by-28-foot pool.
Most folks around here (south Florida) have pretty modest little pools in their tiny yards. I thought if you got past the initial cost (say 20-30k), that it was smooth sailing from there. If it truly is that costly per week, talk about a non-Boglehead thing to have!
I can confirm this is about right. Pool pump sucks power, chemicals, etc etc. Ex pool owner.
Priam

Post by Priam »

I live in south Florida, specifically in broward county and there are a couple of down sides. In the summer it rains a lot, there are hurricanes and there are mosquitoes. Unless I’m going to be walking around at night I don’t go out because if you stand still for 3 minutes you will get bitten by mosquitoes easily. When it rains here in south Florida it isn’t drops.. many times it’s like mini tropical storms coming through. When it’s not raining it’s so hot and humid that you feel like chicken baking in an oven.

Another downside is everyone else has the same idea as you and people keep forgetting that we don’t have much land here. We have the ocean on one side and the Everglades on the another. That means Over 7 million people are squeezed like sardines into this little strip of land which leads to a lot of traffic congestion and air pollution. If you suffer from allergies you will also have trouble in the summer with everything blooming.

I should also mention Florida is ground zero for HOAs so if you don’t like that, it could be a problem. Central and northern Florida are not as gross as south Florida can be during the summer but the Tampa area has sinkholes to contend with.
Golf maniac

Re: Attn: All Floridians & Arizonans!

Post by Golf maniac »

BionicBillWalsh wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:45 am
summerof42 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:03 am The con to Florida is off course the hurricanes and mosquitos.
You didn’t even mention gators...or even worse, Floridians.
Of course most Floridians are from somewhere else, probably a lot from where you are living. You can tell someone who is originally from Florida, we walk around shaking our heads a lot.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Priam wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:21 am I should also mention Florida is ground zero for HOAs so if you don’t like that, it could be a problem.
Just from casual observation, I'd say that newer housing almost everywhere in the U.S. has become ground zero for HOAs. Maybe outside the U.S. too but I have no experience with that.
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

DesertDiva wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:33 am
FlamePoint wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:23 am...Haven’t seen a rattlesnake yet, but it’s probably just a matter of time...
I have a relative who has lived 20+ years between the west valley and north valley. He has seen 1 rattlesnake during this time while out hiking on a trail north of Phoenix.
It's the same with Florida and alligators. Unless you walk the embankment of a lake with your eyes closed or wade in a river how would you possibly encounter one? It's not like they roam the streets :confused
ILnative

Post by ILnative »

We own a condo in the 85016 area code of Phoenix and it was very reasonably priced. Might check out some areas other than Scottsdale. Also - make sure and compare homeowners insurance for AZ compared to FL. It is pennies on the dollar here in AZ compared to FL due to the lack of natural disasters. Just a couple data points...
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

OP said they don't have family to worry about, but I do think that if there's any attachment to your current location (business, friends, etc.), you should probably also factor in travel costs - time and financial. For many in the NE and Midwest, FL is just a lot easier to pull off when you still have ties back home that you'll occasionally need to commute back and forth for. AZ is at least 50% more in terms of mileage, flight time, etc. It's not that hard to find dirt cheap prices on flight to FL.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

JS-Elcano wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:10 am
FlamePoint wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:23 am...Haven’t seen a rattlesnake yet, but it’s probably just a matter of time...
I have a relative who has lived 20+ years between the west valley and north valley. He has seen 1 rattlesnake during this time while out hiking on a trail north of Phoenix.
It's the same with Florida and alligators. Unless you walk the embankment of a lake with your eyes closed or wade in a river how would you possibly encounter one? It's not like they roam the streets :confused
My manager's wife said see saw 7 rattlesnakes while hiking this year. So far I've yet to see one but I don't hike. It varies based on the time of the year. I worked with a guy a while ago that used to find them in his swimming pool in Fountain Hills. Other than a dead roof rat I didn't find any critters in my pool.

HOAs are a big thing in Scottsdale. The vast majority of properties have them and they can be a real pain with some pretty ridiculous rules. Mine wasn't too bad or too expensive ($250 a year) but I'd check the rules carefully before buying otherwise some people would not be happy campers. While the intent is originally good, certain overzealous people tend to carry things too far. I'm currently crashing on the west side where almost anything goes.

Without actually renting for a while, you really don't know what you are getting yourself into with regards to a neighborhood.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

rich126 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:38 am
JS-Elcano wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:10 am
My manager's wife said see saw 7 rattlesnakes while hiking this year. So far I've yet to see one but I don't hike. It varies based on the time of the year. I worked with a guy a while ago that used to find them in his swimming pool in Fountain Hills. Other than a dead roof rat I didn't find any critters in my pool.

HOAs are a big thing in Scottsdale. The vast majority of properties have them and they can be a real pain with some pretty ridiculous rules. Mine wasn't too bad or too expensive ($250 a year) but I'd check the rules carefully before buying otherwise some people would not be happy campers. While the intent is originally good, certain overzealous people tend to carry things too far. I'm currently crashing on the west side where almost anything goes.

Without actually renting for a while, you really don't know what you are getting yourself into with regards to a neighborhood.
When I retire, I always thought Fountain Hills would be a wonderful area to spend winters in. Small-town feel and atmosphere but easy access to Scottsdale. Home prices are more affordable as well but still upscale area full of retirees. Probably the best of both worlds in my book.