FreeTaxUSA first-time user

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Swimmer

FreeTaxUSA first-time user

Post by Swimmer »

Hello, everyone. I just entered my rather simple return into FreeTaxUSA.

I had done the return manually and, essentially, wanted to check my work. Everything looks perfect and I’m ready to pull the trigger and e-file.

I do not have a state return. What amazes me is that it actually looks (at least to this point) like filing my Fed return is really FREE!

Is there any reason I should not use FreeTaxUSA (I don’t have a back donor Roth)?

In the past I did it by hand and used FFFF.

Appreciate your opinions.
GlennK

Re: FreeTaxUSA first-time user

Post by GlennK »

Swimmer wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:48 pm
Is there any reason I should not use FreeTaxUSA (I don’t have a back donor Roth)?

No. I used CreditKarma.com/tax online and filed. Some people are concerned about private information on the free tax websites and transmitted electronically. That could be your only concern.

I also used FreeTaxUSA in the past to compare my results. But never filed with them. This was when TaxAct was still free.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

Last several yrs, I used IRS Free Fillable. But 8895 was not ready last week. I used FreeTaxUSA this year. Everything went smooth.
donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

I have used FreeTaxUSA for years.

My suggestion: Plug a dummy return into another service as well. This will be free, and use fake identity/SSN/Etc, but use real numbers. If the final numbers don't match, you can investigate further.
William4u

Post by William4u »

I've used it for years and it works for me. Federal is really free; only state costs anything.
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

I have used FreeTaxUSA for several years, completely free.
I can electronically file my State for free on the State Dept. of Revenue's website, so I skip the paid option but make a mental note of the state refund due for cross checking.
Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris »

Only issue I had with them was last year when trying to purchase paper I Bonds through our refund (Form 8888). FreeTaxUSA says they support that form. Turns out they don't support it if you choose the paper bonds option (wtf - it's just a few more fields).

I'm using them again this year (no I Bonds), the price is right even dropping a bit of $ for support and state filing. But kind of shady of them to not disclose that IMO.
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

Yep, Federal is really free with them. File away!
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

I've used it for a couple years. No complaints. Federal is indeed free. They bet that by the time you get to the state forms, you will be too tired and will just pay pay them to do it. In my case, they made the right bet.
Topic Author
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

Thanks, all, for your responses. Very helpful!
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I've used it for years, great product. I prefer its simple interface to the others, and it doesn't hound me about "upgrading".
OAG

Post by OAG »

ClevrChico wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:52 pm I've used it for years, great product. I prefer its simple interface to the others, and it doesn't hound me about "upgrading".
Same here and this year program even look improved. I just finished 2020 tax return (will leave for the IRS on 1/25/2021).
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

If you do need to pay they have a coupon code that they pretty much use all the time for 10% off: FREETAXUSA10
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Swimmer wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:48 pm Hello, everyone. I just entered my rather simple return into FreeTaxUSA.

I had done the return manually and, essentially, wanted to check my work. Everything looks perfect and I’m ready to pull the trigger and e-file.

I do not have a state return. What amazes me is that it actually looks (at least to this point) like filing my Fed return is really FREE!

In the past I did it by hand and used FFFF.

I have used it for a couple of years and plan to again this year. Easy and simple. Federal is free which includes e-filing. I don’t use state because I can file on our state website.

Try it and you should be fine.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
rick0

Post by rick0 »

Another happy FreeTaxUSA customer for the last 4-5 years.
donaldfair71 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:34 pm Plug a dummy return into another service as well. This will be free, and use fake identity/SSN/Etc, but use real numbers. If the final numbers don't match, you can investigate further.
I did this for the first couple years, but don't bother anymore.
There's a bit less handholding (Interview) than the major vendors, but it's all logically organized.

ALSO - I actually feel ...guilty... paying absolutely nothing, so for $7 I upgrade to their "Deluxe" Edition,
just in case I need support. (no state tax here)
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

I've used it a couple years in a row. I had a 1099 with an unusual code and had to tell it that the code was taxable for my state return, whereas the other software I plugged my information into knew.

All in all it is good and has a nice clean interface. As with any tax software, plug it into another one with a fake SS and name and then just don't file. Make sure you get to the same numbers.
corpgator

Post by corpgator »

I've been using turbotax for the convenience of not having to import anything, but the price goes up every year and this year they still haven't gotten the stimulus payments worked out. I had a baby this year in between the payments, but everything I read said I'd get both. When it came time to enter the stimulus in turbotax, I plugged in what my wife and I got and it said that looks right and moved on to the next step.

I called foul and went looking for alternatives, found freetaxusa, jumped head to that step and it said looks like you are still owed $1100 and added it to my return. I haven't finished plugging in all my numbers, but if they match besides that, and I'm sure they will, I'll never use turbotax again.
FrugalProfessor

Post by FrugalProfessor »

Swimmer wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:48 pm Is there any reason I should not use FreeTaxUSA (I don’t have a back donor Roth)?
There is no reason not to use it. I've used it for years thanks to the recommendation of other forum members and it is fantastic. It handles backdoor roth contributions very well.
I blog. Taxes are the lowest hanging source of alpha. I eat tax alpha for breakfast.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Notice the AGI income limit is lower than with other free file options. So could become an issue later.

See: https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/browse-all-offers

Disclosure. I've used OLT for several years and it's been okay for what I need to do, and seem to be less restrictive than other offerings.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
codoriti

Post by codoriti »

dratkinson wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:30 pm Notice the AGI income limit is lower than with other free file options. So could become an issue later.

Disclosure. I've used OLT for several years and it's been okay for what I need to do, and seem to be less restrictive than other offerings.
Does that mean you can't use FreeTaxUSA if your AGI is above $39k? I thought it's just another product.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

codoriti wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:54 pm
dratkinson wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:30 pm Notice the AGI income limit is lower than with other free file options. So could become an issue later.

Does that mean you can't use FreeTaxUSA if your AGI is above $39k? I thought it's just another product.

If you follow the "VIEW THIS OFFER" link on the IRS website for FreeTaxUSA, it says "If you don't qualify, Federal and State filing is $0 - $14.99". So maybe that means the fed it free, but the state return is $14.95.

Doing the same for OLT, the description is clearer, "If you do not qualify: Your Federal return is free and each state tax return is just $9.95!!"
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.