Speed Queen Washer & Dryer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BogleFed

Speed Queen Washer & Dryer

Post by BogleFed »

We are searching for a new washer and dryer. I have heard great things about the Speed Queens. What say the Bogleheads?
stan1

Re: Speed Queen Washer & Dryer

Post by stan1 »

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

This isn't going to be a popular answer on here where Speed Queen is revered but as someone who designed washing machines for a living once upon a time, there isn't anything special about them other than they are basic machines. We bought the same pressure transducers, infill valves, circuit boards from the same manufacturers as Speed Queen as did most other laundry manufacturers that make basic machines. Alliance Laundry Systems is a huge conglomerate that makes many brands of washing machines besides Speed Queen, but by keeping the Speed Queen line as their basic line and not being tempted by adding additional lines with more features and thus complexity, they were able to get a reputation, and deservedly so, for reliable machines. But other manufacturers that have very basic lines also have just as good of reliability ratings on them too. The key is the less complex they are, the less there is to break or go wrong.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

most appliances use the same parts... the scene from Armageddon comes to mind.

The key is don't buy "fancy pants" new stuff... and don't buy "bottom of the lineup" models.

Bottom of the lineup = same shipping, manufacturing, sales, costs as every other model... so the materials are very very cheap. an appliance that is 50% more in cost... might have 75% of that increase in its materials and construction. ($500 dishwasher vs $750 dishwasher).. but then after that... while the price might keep going up... but you will get less and less for your new dollars being spent. (typically)

fancy pants = new stuff that just breaks.

So its important to find a sweet spot in the middle of the line up.

Also, i always call a few local appliance stores, and ask them for a recommendation and why. Homedepot/lowes sales people on average don't know anything beyond whats on the sticker about trackrecords. feel free to buy at homedepot/lowes, just ask for advice from peopel that might actually have a clue at a real appliance store.
Last edited by Soon2BXProgrammer on Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NerdicSkier

Post by NerdicSkier »

Our house came with a water saver washing machine that left a residue on our clothes. Water is not a scarce resource where we live. So the procurement department found a speed queen for us. Very simple and it has been perfect for our needs without any problems, for five years or so. Only complaint is that it is not big enough for some of our larger items.

The unit that we have has a quarter feed. We recycle the quarters, but I threaten our college kid returning home that someday he will find the mechanism locked.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

lthenderson wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:53 pm ... The key is the less complex they are, the less there is to break or go wrong.
+1

My wife and I really like our Speed Queen washer, but as mentioned by lthenderson, it is likely that any basic model by a reputable manufacturer would have done as well.

However, the Speed Queen dryer we bought at the same time had an unacceptably large gap between the door and the top of the dryer, where we could see the light shining through the gap as the clothes tumbled (for some reason the light wouldn't go off even when the door was closed.) We had the seller (Nebraska Furniture Mart) pick it up a couple of days later without any hassle and replaced it with a different brand.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

What I read is that Speed Queens used to last forever, use a lot of water, and don't last forever anymore.

Personally I wouldn't go any farther than the washer aisle at the Home Depot if I needed to replace a washer.

(I can remember people advocating buying a Checker for a car because they last forever too...)
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

adamthesmythe wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:49 pm What I read is that Speed Queens used to last forever, use a lot of water, and don't last forever anymore.

Personally I wouldn't go any farther than the washer aisle at the Home Depot if I needed to replace a washer.

(I can remember people advocating buying a Checker for a car because they last forever too...)
And probably because they use a lot of water, they reportedly rinse well when the clothes are genuinely dirty, resolving a complaint many people have with watersense rated washing machines leaving clothes dingy if you're the kind of person who works or plays in the dirt (or have kids that do). Without enough water, some of the dirt redeposits on the clothes.

Theoretically, though, with the newer washing machines, you just need to remember to run the heavy wash cycle, or make sure you buy a model with an extra rinse option for use when washing dirtier than normal 21st century American lifestyle clothes.
System1

Post by System1 »

I have a pair of basic Speed Queens and we do a lot of laundry. We have had one issue in the 4 years or so we have had them. The water level switch stopped functioning, I gave a call to Speed Queen, they walked me through a fix on the phone and its all good now. We are still happy, check back in 10 more years. We plan to bring them with us if we move even if the new house has fancy front loaders.
TierArtz

Post by TierArtz »

We bought their front digital control; front loading set a few months ago. We generally like it, but do need to call and ask about the dryer. It's auto-sensing function does not seem to work. The time remaining does not update and the clothes will be dry, lots of time left, and the sensor still says damp or wet. I'm sure it can be fixed.
ScooterBob

Post by ScooterBob »

Just bought a Speedqueen dryer last week to replace our 34 year old Speedqueen. We ended up with the least expensive model- the one with the three year warranty- because the shop owner,old dude that knows his stuff, told us that it would be the closest model sold now that compared with our old model. They had "better" models of Speedqueens on sale but we went with the basic job. The old one probably could have been fixed- I think the bearings went out- but with it's age we thought this is a good time for a new one. Our Maytag washer continues to roll on. Had it repaired once about 7-8 years ago. When it goes, we'll get the matching Speedqueen washer and call it a day. He told us that buying a washer is different than buying a dryer- he said "a dryer is a dryer is a dryer" but there are BIG differences is washers- quality-wise and other. The dryer was $949.00.

Bob
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

lthenderson wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:53 pm . . .
The key is the less complex they are, the less there is to break or go wrong.
And after all, how much complexity do you really need in a washer/dryer? It's a pretty simple job there really -- time, temperature, speed, and ping when it's done.

My current simple (not high-end!) GE washer/dryers came with my new house 20 years ago, and are still working. Mind you, they are getting a little geriatric & rusty there and will probably need replacing before long, so i have my eyes on a new Speed Queen perhaps. My neighbor bought a set last year and seem to like them.
Retiredron

Post by Retiredron »

They are the best washer and dryer we have ever owned! Go for it.
Watty

Post by Watty »

I am not sure where it is at now but when I needed a replacement washing machine last summer the many stores were out of many different models because the pandemic had disrupted the supply chains. When I posted about that a number of people had run into similar issues with buying appliances being in short supply.

You may also want to look into what washing machines Costco sells. If you buy it with a Costco credit card you get a four year warranty without any additional charge. As I recall the Costco delivery also includes the things needed to hook it up like hoses and plugs which other stores charge for.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

BogleFed wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:45 pm We are searching for a new washer and dryer. I have heard great things about the Speed Queens. What say the Bogleheads?
Excellent choice.
Topic Author
BogleFed

Post by BogleFed »

Thanks for all the feedback. We are going to look at the Speed Queens and CostCo options.
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

lthenderson wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:53 pm This isn't going to be a popular answer on here where Speed Queen is revered but as someone who designed washing machines for a living once upon a time, there isn't anything special about them other than they are basic machines. We bought the same pressure transducers, infill valves, circuit boards from the same manufacturers as Speed Queen as did most other laundry manufacturers that make basic machines. Alliance Laundry Systems is a huge conglomerate that makes many brands of washing machines besides Speed Queen, but by keeping the Speed Queen line as their basic line and not being tempted by adding additional lines with more features and thus complexity, they were able to get a reputation, and deservedly so, for reliable machines. But other manufacturers that have very basic lines also have just as good of reliability ratings on them too. The key is the less complex they are, the less there is to break or go wrong.
Good info. Can you point to specific alternatives to Speed Queen for comparable basic machines?
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

The Speed Queen just needs one minor hack adjustment to make it like what a washer used to be 30 years ago, the water level switch moved up. :D
Teague

Post by Teague »

marcwd wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:10 am
Good info. Can you point to specific alternatives to Speed Queen for comparable basic machines?
For reliability, maybe a running creek with a well-placed flat rock?
Semper Augustus
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

lthenderson wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:53 pm This isn't going to be a popular answer on here where Speed Queen is revered but as someone who designed washing machines for a living once upon a time, there isn't anything special about them other than they are basic machines. We bought the same pressure transducers, infill valves, circuit boards from the same manufacturers as Speed Queen as did most other laundry manufacturers that make basic machines. Alliance Laundry Systems is a huge conglomerate that makes many brands of washing machines besides Speed Queen, but by keeping the Speed Queen line as their basic line and not being tempted by adding additional lines with more features and thus complexity, they were able to get a reputation, and deservedly so, for reliable machines. But other manufacturers that have very basic lines also have just as good of reliability ratings on them too. The key is the less complex they are, the less there is to break or go wrong.
Besides Alliance Laundry Systems, the only other U.S. players of any size are Whirlpool which comprises almost a dozen brands and G.E. which has several more. I really don't have a recommendation because I'm only on my second set of basic top loading washer and dryer. I replaced the first set (Maytag) after 25 years of use with a new set of Maytag (now owned and made by Whirlpool) and these have been chugging along for ten years or so with no problems. Like the first set, this set has twist dials and buttons that need to be pressed or pulled to start the cycle. There really isn't a lot that can go wrong with them. I replaced the first set only because the heating element in the dryer shorted out and there were no replacements that I could find.
mclvngr

Post by mclvngr »

We replaced our old set with new Speed Queens two years ago after a ton of research. Zero regrets!
daheld

Post by daheld »

lthenderson wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:52 pm
Besides Alliance Laundry Systems, the only other U.S. players of any size are Whirlpool which comprises almost a dozen brands and G.E. which has several more. I really don't have a recommendation because I'm only on my second set of basic top loading washer and dryer. I replaced the first set (Maytag) after 25 years of use with a new set of Maytag (now owned and made by Whirlpool) and these have been chugging along for ten years or so with no problems. Like the first set, this set has twist dials and buttons that need to be pressed or pulled to start the cycle. There really isn't a lot that can go wrong with them. I replaced the first set only because the heating element in the dryer shorted out and there were no replacements that I could find.
We're going on about year 7 on a thirty year old Maytag set. I've replaced a water inlet valve and drive belt on the washer and haven't had to touch the dryer. Hoping for another 30.
Stumptowngal

Post by Stumptowngal »

We’ve had a lot of brands of washers and dryers through the years and bought our first Speed Queens about four years ago.

I am super happy with them. They are quite basic with no digitalized controls. There is not a lot to go wrong with them. I can choose from 3 temperature settings and several soil settings - just enough options without over complicating things.

I think it has been changed now; but I love that I can start the washer and let the run water run for half a minute; open the lid without the machine turning off; and then add detergent and clothes. Now most machines lock the lid once you press start.

I can’t imagine parting with my Speed Queens.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Stumptowngal wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:58 pm I think it has been changed now; but I love that I can start the washer and let the run water run for half a minute; open the lid without the machine turning off; and then add detergent and clothes. Now most machines lock the lid once you press start.
Unfortunately this is because of lawsuits and people losing arms in spinning drums. One of my first projects when I started in the industry was to redesign the lock system so that it couldn't be opened after starting. But then kids would lock their brother in and start it up and now the doors couldn't be opened... easily. Sigh. These things are part of the reason I finally said it wasn't a job for me any longer and left for other pastures.
London

Post by London »

I just bought a new washer and dryer and checked into Speed Queen based on everything I’ve read here. The only reason I didn’t buy was the limited capacity. The top of the line washer model checks in at 3.2 c/ft. That doesn’t work for us when there are many options at 5+ C/ft.