[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
HoosierJim

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by HoosierJim »

heartwood wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:33 am Many nights we watch reruns of the original Law & Order. Several of our stations play it multiple times a day. We have at least 5 on our DVR at any time.
As an aside, no matter how I try to program it, I lose the end of the closing and have to start the next episode to see what Jack, Arthur or Serena had to say. Tried extending the recording by 5 minutes, but ...
We were on overload of the L&O SVU stuff but recently noticed the original Law and Order on the OTA local channel and have setup the DVR for these too.

I turned on commercial skipping on Plex with HDHomeRun- did a great job on the commercials but it too cut out the ending. So back to full shows with fast forward. The local station also plays them in original order which is nice.

Back to SVU - has Barba's Return tonight Jan 7th.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

heartwood wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:33 am Many nights we watch reruns of the original Law & Order. Several of our stations play it multiple times a day. We have at least 5 on our DVR at any time. Twenty years of episodes: 456 episodes.

I was sure I'd seen them all (several times), then I saw one a couple of weeks ago from an early year where Lennie was a defense attorney. Last night one of the guys from the Sopranos was in a role as a mob guy. Guess his face was castings idea of a mob guy.

As an aside, no matter how I try to program it, I lose the end of the closing and have to start the next episode to see what Jack, Arthur or Serena had to say. Tried extending the recording by 5 minues, but ...
Old "Law & Order" episodes are like slipping into comfortable clothes at the end of the day. I rarely ever watch from start to finish now, but I don't ever have a problem dropping into the middle. I tune out around season 14/15 though. Once Lennie was off and Linus came on the DA side I lose interest.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

The Tunnel on Amazon. Great police drama based in France and England. French and English detectives have to work together to catch terrorist/killer.
Lots of unexpected twists and turns.I am done with season one, 10 episodes.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We are almost 3/4 through (4 seasons of 10 episodes each) of

"Halt and Catch Fire".
We both (one with tech background, one without) are finding this to be a wonderful surprise.

(AMC, now on Netflix)

We somehow missed this before, and are going through several episodes per most evenings. It's quite amazing, and a couple of the characters and actors are especially good.
(It's a very nice way to tune out reality just now, too.)

It's sort of an historical novel (video version, of course) about the early days of computers, spread over several different years.
Also of interest is the fact that the two main protagonists who build a tech company back then are women.

Most of the first season had me almost mesmerized, in part with memories of coding back in the early/mid '70s (albeit with cards back then), and into the mid-80's... and in part with issues about "the path not taken..."
Sigh.

It's a bit difficult to hear bits and pieces of the dialogue, unfortunately. I'm not sure why that is a problem with this series, when we've not generally experienced anything like this elsewhere.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

If you liked The Undoing, try to solve the riddle of who did it in Defending Jacob on Apple TV+
peppers

Post by peppers »

Poldark

The story of Capt. Ross Poldark, returning to Cornwall after the American Revolutionary war. He finds that his father has died and his true love about to marry someone else.

If you enjoy historical pieces this British drama might interest you.

We finished season 5 and are hoping for a season 6.

Viewed on PBS
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We started “Designated Survivor” on Netflix and LOVE it!

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Also finished season 7 of “Blacklist” on Netflix. Enjoyed it.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Currently watching "Death Wears Bunny Slippers" on Youtube. I'm about halfway through. Fascinating.

It's a documentary of what it takes to recommission a decommissioned nuclear missile silo into a dwelling. That effort is a hard, dirty, seemingly hopeless slog through episode 11, but episodes 12-13 go off in a new direction and suddenly you can see the light at the end of the tunnel alongside the owner. All of the episodes and Q&A videos are fairly short, so you can watch a few here and there over days or weeks as desired. It's a complete set - the last video was posted just a couple of months ago.

Short preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCPmuA1v8qQ
All of them: https://www.youtube.com/c/DeathWearsBun ... ers/videos
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

Last night I watched “Pick of the Litter.” It’s about how dogs are trained to help the visually impaired. Very touching. Netflix.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Caught up through about episode 5 on most recent season of the Expanse (Sci fi on Amazon). As a generalization I've found this show better as the seasons progress, which is opposite of what I usually find.

After a long break going through Season 6 of Vikings on Amazon. I had grown somewhat weary of the series after several seasons but finding the last season good enough to hold my attention.
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

Mandalorian - "This is the way"
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

I just finished season 1 of Raised By Wolves on HBO. Now I'm juggling season 3 of Perfect Strangers, season 5 of The Expanse and season 2 of His Dark Materials.

I was a kid when PS was on but I remember bits and pieces. Might rewatch Babylon 5 or finish Curb Your Enthusiasm when I'm done with the above.
Today's high is tomorrow's low.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:15 am We are almost 3/4 through (4 seasons of 10 episodes each) of

"Halt and Catch Fire".
We both (one with tech background, one without) are finding this to be a wonderful surprise.

(AMC, now on Netflix)

We somehow missed this before, and are going through several episodes per most evenings. It's quite amazing, and a couple of the characters and actors are especially good.

It's sort of an historical novel (video version, of course) about the early days of computers, spread over several different years.
Also of interest is the fact that the two main protagonists who build a tech company back then are women.

Most of the first season had me almost mesmerized, in part with memories of coding back in the early/mid '70s (albeit with cards back then), and into the mid-80's... and in part with issues about "the path not taken..."
Sigh.

It's a bit difficult to hear bits and pieces of the dialogue, unfortunately. I'm not sure why that is a problem with this series, when we've not generally experienced anything like this elsewhere.

RM

Halt and Catch Fire is one of the better shows most people have never heard of.
superskyliner

Post by superskyliner »

Has anybody watched DOCTOR FOSTER on netflix, its pretty good, originally a BBC show.
queso

Post by queso »

JBTX wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:29 pm Caught up through about episode 5 on most recent season of the Expanse (Sci fi on Amazon). As a generalization I've found this show better as the seasons progress, which is opposite of what I usually find.

After a long break going through Season 6 of Vikings on Amazon. I had grown somewhat weary of the series after several seasons but finding the last season good enough to hold my attention.
Too funny...watching the exact same two shows right now. All caught up on Expanse so while waiting for episodes to drop I am watching the final season of Vikings. Totally agree on your opinion of both. This season of Expanse is excellent and Vikings isn't too shabby either.

Other recent stuff we've binged:
The Undoing - excellent; if you liked Big Little Lies and Little Fires Everywhere you will like this
The Flight Attendant - mixed family reviews, but part of the problem is it followed the Undoing which wasn't easy and drew comparisons
Outlander - currently stuck in season 2. For some reason this stalled for us and we haven't picked it back up yet.
Bridgerton - we have a soft spot for period pieces. It's no Downton Abbey, but scratches that Jane Austen itch
Mrvtmn

Post by Mrvtmn »

All I watch is Big Bang Theory reruns.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

We are finishing up the final season (6) of "Vikings". The series went down a little when Ragnar died, but still one of our favorite shows ever. We have 2 more episodes; interested to see how they wrap it all up. My wife likes it so much that she decided to name our son after a Norse mythical figure (5yrs ago).
peppers

Post by peppers »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:29 am We are finishing up the final season (6) of "Vikings". The series went down a little when Ragnar died, but still one of our favorite shows ever. We have 2 more episodes; interested to see how they wrap it all up. My wife likes it so much that she decided to name our son after a Norse mythical figure (5yrs ago).
Floki ? ;-)
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

peppers wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:34 am
stoptothink wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:29 am We are finishing up the final season (6) of "Vikings". The series went down a little when Ragnar died, but still one of our favorite shows ever. We have 2 more episodes; interested to see how they wrap it all up. My wife likes it so much that she decided to name our son after a Norse mythical figure (5yrs ago).
Floki ? ;-)
The "Allfather"
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

superskyliner wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:03 pm Has anybody watched DOCTOR FOSTER on netflix, its pretty good, originally a BBC show.
I haven't yet but it gets a 7.7 IMDb rating. Will check it out. :happy
AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ »

The new version of "All Creatures Great and Small" on PBS. I watch a number of the veterinarian and zoo shows on Nat Geo Wild so it should be an interesting comparison. Of course today there are vaccines and antibiotics that save lives whereas they didn't exist then.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I highly recommend Fake or Fortune?

It's a BBC TV series that showcases two "detectives" - one an art expert, and the other an investigative journalist - as they try to figure out if a particular painting brought to them by a member of the public is some long lost treasure. Kind of like a real life non-fiction Da Vinci Code.

It's really fascinating.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Mrvtmn wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:56 am All I watch is Big Bang Theory reruns.
You might also like Young Sheldon, the story of Sheldon Cooper's high school years in East Texas, a CBS series currently in reruns on Nick at Night.

pilot
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:27 am
superskyliner wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:03 pm Has anybody watched DOCTOR FOSTER on netflix, its pretty good, originally a BBC show.
I haven't yet but it gets a 7.7 IMDb rating. Will check it out. :happy
Very good series, and it was my introduction to Jodie Comer, the assassin on Killing Eve.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Caduceus wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:44 am I highly recommend Fake or Fortune?

It's a BBC TV series that showcases two "detectives" - one an art expert, and the other an investigative journalist - as they try to figure out if a particular painting brought to them by a member of the public is some long lost treasure. Kind of like a real life non-fiction Da Vinci Code.

It's really fascinating.
We watch a show called The Art Detectives on Acorn. This has a little different perspective. The detectives go to both famous and obscure art galleries and private collections. They try to authenticate, or discover, the artists of paintings they find. Many in galleries' are in storage and not on display. Many have controversial provenance.

Three separate but related and overlapping activities are followed in the show (with a presenter for each):
  1. The detective work -- checking old documents, interviewing dealers, experts, owners or their descendants, etc..
  2. The story behind the painting. Who, what, when, why, where.
  3. The restoration process. Most (all?) undergo extensive restoration.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Mrvtmn

Post by Mrvtmn »

ruralavalon wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:53 am
Mrvtmn wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:56 am All I watch is Big Bang Theory reruns.
You might also like Young Sheldon, the story of Sheldon Cooper's high school years in East Texas, a CBS series currently in reruns on Nick at Night.

pilot
Yes. I've seen that and do like it!
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

bertilak wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:13 am
Caduceus wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:44 am I highly recommend Fake or Fortune?

It's really fascinating.
We watch a show called The Art Detectives on Acorn. This has a little different perspective. The detectives go to both famous and obscure art galleries and private collections. They try to authenticate, or discover, the artists of paintings they find. Many in galleries' are in storage and not on display. Many have controversial provenance.

Three separate but related and overlapping activities are followed in the show (with a presenter for each):
  1. The detective work -- checking old documents, interviewing dealers, experts, owners or their descendants, etc..
  2. The story behind the painting. Who, what, when, why, where.
  3. The restoration process. Most (all?) undergo extensive restoration.
It sounds exactly like Fake or Fortune! The BBC show also shows the detective work behind the painting, both the science (like using sophisticated machines to see underneath the painting) and the archival work, and then also sometimes they show what happens after you clean it to reveal the true colors of the oil painting.

I will check out the show you mentioned too. sounds fun.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Lupin on Netflix.
French show about a man trying to avenge what happened to his father 25 years earlier.The guy is very charming and likable and is part illusionist,part con artist and part super spy. It has been approved for a second season.Five episodes.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:15 am We are almost 3/4 through (4 seasons of 10 episodes each) of

"Halt and Catch Fire".

(AMC, now on Netflix)

Sigh.

RM
+1 ^^^ ( My wife was with IBM at the time and I have spent some time in Cloud services.) We enjoyed the whole story line and there were some great performances, character developments and clever scripting. I liked it better than Silicon Valley which I quit on during season 1 due to time constraints. We were howling when the IBM lawyers arrived...and arrived...and arrived!
Golf maniac

Post by Golf maniac »

I just finished the queens gambit, really like it. I am on season 4 of Criminal Minds, surprised I didn’t watch these when originally broadcast. Waiting for last season of Better Call Saul.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Just finished S3 of Borgen(CC) on Netflix. Enjoyed it, even though the CC was not always in sync with the actual Danish I suspect. In many ways as good as the West Wing was in its heyday with plot twists, flawed characters but mostly likable.
I just read S4 has been contracted for release in 2022. It will be interesting to see how they bridge and connect as S3 was from 2013.
Thanks to whoever recommended it on this thread a couple months ago.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

JBTX wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:29 pm Caught up through about episode 5 on most recent season of the Expanse (Sci fi on Amazon). As a generalization I've found this show better as the seasons progress, which is opposite of what I usually find.

I was checking Rotten Tomatoes (regarding the Expanse) and they would agree with you. I read the first book of the series a few years back and have thought about looking into it, but not taken the plunge.

If you liked Vikings, you might consider The Last Kingdom, I believe on Netflix. It's based on a series of books by Bernard Cornwell. I've liked what I've seen so far. Am about three episodes into season 2.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Capsu78 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:13 pm Just finished S3 of Borgen(CC) on Netflix. Enjoyed it, even though the CC was not always in sync with the actual Danish I suspect. In many ways as good as the West Wing was in its heyday with plot twists, flawed characters but mostly likable.
I just read S4 has been contracted for release in 2022. It will be interesting to see how they bridge and connect as S3 was from 2013.
Thanks to whoever recommended it on this thread a couple months ago.
You are welcome.
TV shows are my only real contribution to the bogleheads forum :D
queso

Post by queso »

Artful Dodger wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:17 pm

I was checking Rotten Tomatoes (regarding the Expanse) and they would agree with you. I read the first book of the series a few years back and have thought about looking into it, but not taken the plunge.

If you liked Vikings, you might consider The Last Kingdom, I believe on Netflix. It's based on a series of books by Bernard Cornwell. I've liked what I've seen so far. Am about three episodes into season 2.
+1 on Last Kingdom. I am all caught up on that one and I think the chances of liking that one if you like Vikings is high.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I didn't realize there was a season 3 of The Tunnel on Amazon Prime. I thought the first season was good but the second season not as good.

I will point out it is dark at times and the French female police officer is rather blunt and harsh at times. Definitely has violence and some nudity.
I'm about halfway through season 3 and it is pretty decent. Not something I would want to watch a ton of, but it is interesting if you like those kind of shows.

Season 1 started off with a body found on the border in the tunnel between France and England and a British male police officer works with a French female officer to investigate the crime. I'll leave it at that (hopefully my memory got that right).

The female lead is Clemence Posey and the male lead is Stephen Dillane.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

AlwaysaQ wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:39 am The new version of "All Creatures Great and Small" on PBS. I watch a number of the veterinarian and zoo shows on Nat Geo Wild so it should be an interesting comparison. Of course today there are vaccines and antibiotics that save lives whereas they didn't exist then.
My wife read his books back when they first came out. We watched the first episode last night and really enjoyed it.

A friend of my wife suggested watching "Yorkshire Vet". It takes place in the same town where James Herriott practiced and follows a real vet on his practice rounds. On the first show, he delivered a couple of lambs, then got to fixing an abscessed tooth on a British bulldog, and I started getting a little queasy, then onto some type of liver operation on another dog, and I couldn't take it anymore. My wife liked. :?

There are several seasons available on Amazon Prime.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

rich126 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:28 pm I didn't realize there was a season 3 of The Tunnel on Amazon Prime. I thought the first season was good but the second season not as good.

I will point out it is dark at times and the French female police officer is rather blunt and harsh at times.
I believe that the female detective is portrayed as having Asperger syndrome. If I remember correctly, that was also the case in the original series, a Nordic Noir called The Bridge.

ETA: I remembered the female detective in The Bridge correctly.
Saga Norén is a fictional character and the main protagonist of the Danish/Swedish TV series The Bridge (Bron/Broen). She is played by Swedish actress Sofia Helin. Saga is introduced as a member of the Malmö County Police Department in the first episode of the series. Suggested, but never stated, to have Asperger's syndrome, she is portrayed as completely oblivious to social norms, but a brilliant and devoted police investigator.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

queso wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:28 pm

+1 on Last Kingdom. I am all caught up on that one and I think the chances of liking that one if you like Vikings is high.
First two seasons of Last Kingdom are solid, but the 3rd season was not good at all.
queso

Post by queso »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:40 pm
queso wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:28 pm

First two seasons of Last Kingdom are solid, but the 3rd season was not good at all.
It's been a while since I watched it, but now that you mention it I do remember losing interest at one point and taking a looong break and then coming back and finishing it. I think it was season 3.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Golf maniac wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:09 pm I just finished the queens gambit, really like it. I am on season 4 of Criminal Minds, surprised I didn’t watch these when originally broadcast. Waiting for last season of Better Call Saul.
We just finished season 15 of Criminal Minds. Like you - I'm also surprised I did not catch the original broadcast. We started season 1 last Jan, and have been steadily binging - one show per night.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Thanks I'll check it out.