Hood Scratches [on my] New Car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bearcub

Hood Scratches [on my] New Car

Post by bearcub »

Scratches on hood of my fairly new Impreza. Can"t buff out. Auto guy says he can repaint it. I was also considering vinyl wrapping it. Maybe cheaper. Anyone here ever use vinyl wrap on their car? Any good? Thanks.
Dockside_Dreaming

Re: Hood Scratches New Car

Post by Dockside_Dreaming »

Vinyl fails quickest on the hood and roof of a wrapped car. 3M recommends removing a wrap after 3 years. I would repaint.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

I would repaint. A vinyl wrap can look good, but it looks like a wrap- not paint. You'd need to do the whole car to make it look consistent- more expensive than just repainting the hood to match.

Vinyl wraps make the most sense for race cars that need to show sponsorship graphics and easily repair damage, or show cars that you want to look outrageous but retain the option of reverting to a factory look. They are a temporary solution.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

I don't even bother.

Scratches and dents add to the character of the car. Start driving it like a tank and you'll never regret it.
Time is the ultimate currency.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

H-Town wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:40 am I don't even bother.

Scratches and dents add to the character of the car. Start driving it like a tank and you'll never regret it.
Well, you might regret trying to drive your car through a river :shock:
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

:thumbsup
Sometimes it's nice to get past the first few dings, so you don't feel the need to baby the car like it's "new" anymore :wink:
On a pickup a few scratches and dents definitely add character, on a car too many dings can be a bit much (depending on the car).
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
fedpharmer

Post by fedpharmer »

What was the cause of the scratches? I think Subarus tend to have pretty thin paint which makes rock chips show very easily. If you're going to get it repainted then consider also getting a clear bra to prevent it from happening in the future (I guess if your auto guy applies a thicker coat that may not be necessary).
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Most people would regret leaving very visible scratches on a nearly new car. For many people the scratches would probably be an irritation every day. Everybody has things that annoy them, and things that don't. I'm fairly confident that saying that scratches add to the character of a nearly-new car is an extreme minority position. It never makes sense to tell people to "drive it like a tank" because that implies probably doing mechanical and cosmetic damage not just to your own car, but probably to other people's cars and property as well.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

How did the hood become scratched? Are these significant and numerous?

Your car will become scratched and dinged over time. If you repaint every time that happens, your paint with be 1/2" thick in no time! :wink:

I'd recommend you purchase a bottle of touch-up paint from your dealer using your vehicle paint color code and just touch up minor dings and scratches as desired.
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

bearcub wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:17 am Scratches on hood of my fairly new Impreza. Can"t buff out. Auto guy says he can repaint it. I was also considering vinyl wrapping it. Maybe cheaper. Anyone here ever use vinyl wrap on their car? Any good? Thanks.
You are fighting a losing battle. Once you spend money to fix this issue another will occur. I have learned to embrace what some call patina but what an online friend calls beausage (beauty through usage).
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

tibbitts wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:52 am

Most people would regret leaving very visible scratches on a nearly new car. For many people the scratches would probably be an irritation every day. Everybody has things that annoy them, and things that don't. I'm fairly confident that saying that scratches add to the character of a nearly-new car is an extreme minority position. It never makes sense to tell people to "drive it like a tank" because that implies probably doing mechanical and cosmetic damage not just to your own car, but probably to other people's cars and property as well.
That's a bold accusation, sheriff.

But go ahead and try keeping your car in pristine condition. I don't even bother.

My goal is to maximize the utility of the car. That means: maximize the amount of miles I can drive. Any money that I would put in the car would go to that goal: keep the car running as long as I could (within a reasonable budget). Cosmetic is not in that criteria.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Some posters are fixers, some aren't.

You should definitely repaint if the scratches are deep enough to offer rust an opportunity.

A couple of friends have used Carsmetics for scratches and dings, they were happy with their work.

The company is a chain.

Honestly, a good body shop should do the job decently, to the satisfaction of picky customers. I had to have a redo on paint for a DD's vehicle, for the hood. Second time they nailed it.

You didn't offer much info as to how large the scratches are, that info would make it easier for posters to offer ideas.

Depending on the size of the scratches, I could go either way, fix or ignore (only after sealing them from rust).

You have to look at them every day. Fix if they bother you enough, don't if they don't bother you enough.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I usually go the route of touching it up with a bottle of touchup paint from the dealer until such time the bottle runs out or the number of touchups required are too numerous to ensure that I might miss some of them. When I reach either of those thresholds, I just let nature take its course. But I drive Toyotas and not Maseratis. If I had a Maserati, I would probably have it painted professionally every time.
Topic Author
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Got scratches from riding through long plastic sleeves to a car wash. I was suppose to wait for guys to hold them open like the sign said, but I had much on my mind and did"nt notice it. Yes I feel like a dope, my fault. Scratches are a couple of inches long. Sometimes can"t see them, other times can if bright sun beats down on them. Auto guy said went through gloss can not buff out. He said he can paint hood if it really bothers you. Maybe wait till winter is over + then decide.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

next time use a broom to sweep the snow off. don't use the shovel.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
confusedinaz

Post by confusedinaz »

bearcub wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:37 pm Got scratches from riding through long plastic sleeves to a car wash. I was suppose to wait for guys to hold them open like the sign said, but I had much on my mind and did"nt notice it. Yes I feel like a dope, my fault. Scratches are a couple of inches long. Sometimes can"t see them, other times can if bright sun beats down on them. Auto guy said went through gloss can not buff out. He said he can paint hood if it really bothers you. Maybe wait till winter is over + then decide.
Is this an auto body shop or a detailer? If it's an auto body shop, find a good detailer and get their opinion. Some detailers can work wonders with wet sanding/compounding assuming it isn't all the way down to the primer (which doesn't sound like it is). Worst case scenario, you can have them compound/polish it and see if it removes it enough to make it less annoying.

Don't go to a car wash detailer though. Find a real detail shop.
krafty81

Post by krafty81 »

I am in the "irritated" category. Before I adjusted the tailgate on my SUV, my wife had scratched it by parking it too close to the garage door, thus some small vertical scratches at the base of the tailgate. Went to a good body shop I know, they redid that panel (sand/prime/paint) for just under 400 dollars. I am very happy I did that as I hated looking at those deep gouges and will be selling the car soon.
krafty81

Post by krafty81 »

confusedinaz wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:48 pm
bearcub wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:37 pm Got scratches from riding through long plastic sleeves to a car wash. I was suppose to wait for guys to hold them open like the sign said, but I had much on my mind and did"nt notice it. Yes I feel like a dope, my fault. Scratches are a couple of inches long. Sometimes can"t see them, other times can if bright sun beats down on them. Auto guy said went through gloss can not buff out. He said he can paint hood if it really bothers you. Maybe wait till winter is over + then decide.
Is this an auto body shop or a detailer? If it's an auto body shop, find a good detailer and get their opinion. Some detailers can work wonders with wet sanding/compounding assuming it isn't all the way down to the primer (which doesn't sound like it is). Worst case scenario, you can have them compound/polish it and see if it removes it enough to make it less annoying.

Don't go to a car wash detailer though. Find a real detail shop.
This is also great advice. Amazing what these guys can do with modern finishes.
illumination

Post by illumination »

I remember owning a Subaru and the paint and sheetmetal always seemed really delicate. More than any other car I have ever owned.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

bearcub wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:17 am Scratches on hood of my fairly new Impreza. Can"t buff out. Auto guy says he can repaint it. I was also considering vinyl wrapping it. Maybe cheaper. Anyone here ever use vinyl wrap on their car? Any good? Thanks.
I’d they’re good scratches, enough that they’ll hold touch up paint, you may want to look into a product called Langka. I’ve had really good success using on very expensive Porsches. I also just did a ding on my Jeep and nobody would know it was there. You want the scratch or ding to be big enough though, and many hood scratches are going to be too small for Langka to be of much help. Check it out on YouTube.
Being wrong compounds forever.
Topic Author
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

I am going to look into Confusedinaz + Wanderingwheelz sugestions. Thanks everyone for posting. Much appreciated. :thumbsup
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

+1, I don't even wash my cars more than once or twice a year. Why wash it when it just gets dirty again. But I do keep up on maintenance.
William4589

Post by William4589 »

Agree with some of the other comments.

Fix it if it bothers you. I would just have it repainted.

I usually wash mine once or twice a month even though it's 10 years old. Makes me feel better and it seems to drive better too. :D
"The trouble is, you think you have time." - Jack Kornfield
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

I last bought a new car in 2015. The first weekend after I picked it up from the dealer I got 2 dings. One from a shopping cart in the supermarket parking lot, and another from me reversing into a gas pump :oops:

Buffed out the scratches but to date I have not repaired the dents. They aren’t that noticeable, so I got over it eventually!
squirm

Post by squirm »

How bad is it?
The turkeys around here always end up scratching the hood of our cars. I just have accepted it.
Project Farm did a video of scratch removers.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Kagord wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:38 am

+1, I don't even wash my cars more than once or twice a year. Why wash it when it just gets dirty again. But I do keep up on maintenance.
I wash our cars, maybe every two to four weeks. That way the windows stay clean inside and out and less clutter on the inside imo is a safer car. I also look for anything wrong with the cars, tires, etc while washing.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

Repaint. Vinyl needs maintenance and needs to be redone when you get rock chips or minor damage.
ScooterBob

Post by ScooterBob »

This advice is coming from a fanatic of car maintenance. I would NEVER, EVER, take a car through an automatic car wash- ever. Since you already did and some damage-not directly their fault- occurred, I'd have a real detailer see if it went through the clearcoat. Even if it did, they might be able to make it much less noticeable. If it didn't, they will make it "magically" disappear. Once this episode is over, remember that further paint damage WILL occur going through carwashes. It will most likely be cumulative but one day you'll look at the car and be disappointed. Maybe not as disappointed as you are now with it being new, but you'll notice swirls, scratches, and (with a Subaru) thinning paint.

Bob
Topic Author
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Wow! Thanks all for the helpful suggestions. I really appreciate it. :thumbsup
ScooterBob

Post by ScooterBob »

bearcub wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:43 pm Wow! Thanks all for the helpful suggestions. I really appreciate it. :thumbsup
Please don't take what I said about Subaru paint as a slam. It's not. My Toyota was assembled by Subaru so I know all about their paint etc. I keep my car waxed with Griot's paste wax and when washing it, I occasionally use their "Spray-On-Wax" when drying. The paint is holding up great.

Bob
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Kagord wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:38 am

My car gets washed when I take it in for its annual oil change whether it needs it or not.

One week after I bought it I got a crack in the windshield. It is still there and will be until I sell the car.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

7eight9 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:54 pm
One week after I bought it I got a crack in the windshield. It is still there and will be until I sell the car.
This should not be considered in the same category. I am of the crowd who does not care about scratches and dents unless they will lead to rust. But a crack in the windshield is a safety issue. And not only your safety. It should be repaired or replaced.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

It's an Impreza, basic transpiration, scratches while annoying aren't going to hurt the functionality of the car. If you repaint it you're just going to be doubly annoyed the next time you get a scratch. But whatever it probably doesn't really matter whatever route you go.

On a side note I was not unhappy when my Accord got hail damage because I got an insurance check for $3,800 which made the little divots much more palatable. :happy
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

Our new car have less than 1,000 miles when a golfball hit the aluminum hood and put a nice small dent on it. After couple of months I decided I can live with the minor imperfection than spend $400-500 fixing it. It's only a car. :beer
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

H-Town wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:20 am

But go ahead and try keeping your car in pristine condition. I don't even bother.

My goal is to maximize the utility of the car. That means: maximize the amount of miles I can drive. Any money that I would put in the car would go to that goal: keep the car running as long as I could (within a reasonable budget). Cosmetic is not in that criteria.
Driving it like a tank clearly implies running into or over any obstacles that get in your way, so I'm not seeing any accusation being involved, that's just what you're choosing to do with your car.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Incidentally I think it's been stated but vinyl wrap would be the worst possible idea. If you don't repair it, you could also start looking for another hood painted the same color as yours, so there would be no issues with the quality of the work when repainting it.
Watty

Post by Watty »

It would be good to go to a Subaru specific board to see what they would suggest.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:15 pm
H-Town wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:20 am

Driving it like a tank clearly implies running into or over any obstacles that get in your way, so I'm not seeing any accusation being involved, that's just what you're choosing to do with your car.
I drive my car like a tank, and you better not get in my way. 8-)
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

best approach for me, based on my own first hand experiences, was touch up paint applied with patience. i used the paint that come in a bottle with a thin dispenser made for things like scratches. get a name brand.

something like this, but in your color:

https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-EASU ... GH0EQ0CJRF

you will need to prep the surface to remove dirt, wax, etc., so that the paint bonds well.
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Scratches on hood of my fairly new Impreza. Can"t buff out.
clarify what you mean by 'cant buff out'? you mean you tried yourself?
so you wet-sanded in an attempt to fix?

You don't mention if the scratches go thru the clear to the paint which is a big determinant in the level of work required to fix, and would affect most comments in this thread.

I personally would not repaint a new factory part unless I absolutely had to.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Bought my first brand new vehicle a few years ago, was determined to keep it pristine!

1st month, hail damage.

Month 2 or 3, glass damage, repair shop scratches glass causing dangerous reflection. Windshield replaced.

7th month, hit and run accident. Front bumper damaged.

Lost track of time... hit by bicycle small dent near gas cap ( would not see it unless you knew to look)

Backed up in to boat trailer, scratched bumper. Was not trying to hook up to trailer. Was moving vehicle away from garage to get bikes out without being too close to vehicle. ( worked out really well!)

Last summer, rear ended in traffic, rear bumper replaced.

New tires needed, tire shop damaged every rim, yes all four!

I am approaching 60,000 miles and look forward to 100,000 when vehicle will have earned a few blemishes.

I honestly do not think I will buy a brand new vehicle again. There is something to be said for simply not caring too much about the appearance and just appreciating the utility of a vehicle.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
jay99

Post by jay99 »

you tube, wet sanding.....it worked for me.