Ark Funds

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Nicolas

Re: Ark Funds

Post by Nicolas »

nedsaid wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:28 pm The Bogleheads might be the equivalent of the shoe shine boys giving stock tips to Bernard Baruch during the 1920's. Euphoria seeps through even here.
Yes, it’s human nature and Bogleheads are humans :beer
I remember my dental hygienist, whom I did not know, telling me in 1999 about Qualcomm stock.
spanky123

Post by spanky123 »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:30 pm
nedsaid wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:28 pm The Bogleheads might be the equivalent of the shoe shine boys giving stock tips to Bernard Baruch during the 1920's. Euphoria seeps through even here.
I remember my dental hygienist, whom I did not know, telling me in 1999 about Qualcomm stock.
The dental hygienist seems smart. Did he/she buy? Did you buy Qualcomm stock :?:
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

spanky123 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:21 pm
The dental hygienist seems smart. Did he/she buy? Did you buy Qualcomm stock :?:
I think she did, but I did not. But I bought a lot of risky technology funds which also tanked, so the result was the same.

Why was she smart? QCOM tanked and didn’t recover till last year, a twenty year stretch.

Post by 000 »

MinnGuyInvesting wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:27 pm ARK has rebounded some after being down a few days in December.

YTD returns (9 days in)

ARK-K - 14.45%
ARK-G - 13.51%
ARK-Q - 12.48%
ARK-W - 8.90%
ARK-F - 4.53%

Other notables:
TSLA - 24.71%
QQQ - 1.69%
Bitcoin - 40.88%
Thanks for posting this update. A few things that interest me:

ARKK (the "broad" fund) is beating ALL of the focused funds. I wouldn't expect that to be true since I thought ARKK basically held a mix of similar stocks as the other funds.

TSLA and BTC moonshoots are beating ALL the ARK funds - Diworsification at work?
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

ARK funds are my rainy day bucket.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
langlands

Post by langlands »

000 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:49 pm
MinnGuyInvesting wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:27 pm ARK has rebounded some after being down a few days in December.

YTD returns (9 days in)

ARK-K - 14.45%
ARK-G - 13.51%
ARK-Q - 12.48%
ARK-W - 8.90%
ARK-F - 4.53%

Other notables:
TSLA - 24.71%
QQQ - 1.69%
Bitcoin - 40.88%
Thanks for posting this update. A few things that interest me:

ARKK (the "broad" fund) is beating ALL of the focused funds. I wouldn't expect that to be true since I thought ARKK basically held a mix of similar stocks as the other funds.

TSLA and BTC moonshoots are beating ALL the ARK funds - Diworsification at work?
All the funds hold approximately 50-75 securities. Thus, ARKK is not really a blend of the other funds so much as a "greatest hits," i.e. the top 10-20 picks from each of the other funds. The immediate implication is that it makes no sense to buy all of ARKG, ARKQ, ARKW, and ARKF since by their own admission ARKK should dominate. I personally own ARKG because I can find no substitute (if someone knows of a hypergrowth genomics ETF, please let me know). Fintech/ecommerce and internet ETFs are a dime a dozen so I find ARKW and ARKF less appealing, and I don't believe in ARKQ. If someone really wants to tilt fintech via ARKF for instance, take a look at what in ARKF is also in ARKK- those are the stocks ARK really believes in. Probably a better idea just to buy those 10-20 stocks (or pick your own favorites from that set).

Post by 000 »

langlands wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:30 pm All the funds hold approximately 50-75 securities. Thus, ARKK is not really a blend of the other funds so much as a "greatest hits," i.e. the top 10-20 picks from each of the other funds. The immediate implication is that it makes no sense to buy all of ARKG, ARKQ, ARKW, and ARKF since by their own admission ARKK should dominate. I personally own ARKG because I can find no substitute (if someone knows of a hypergrowth genomics ETF, please let me know). Fintech/ecommerce and internet ETFs are a dime a dozen so I find ARKW and ARKF less appealing, and I don't believe in ARKQ. If someone really wants to tilt fintech via ARKF for instance, take a look at what in ARKF is also in ARKK- those are the stocks ARK really believes in. Probably a better idea just to buy those 10-20 stocks (or pick your own favorites from that set).
Thanks for the explanation. I agree that the subfunds don't make a lot of sense then.
MinnGuyInvesting

Post by MinnGuyInvesting »

Updating with last year's numbers.

YTD returns (9 days in) - Last Year

ARK-K - 14.45% - Last Year: 148.25%
ARK-G - 13.51% - Last Year: 185.23%
ARK-Q - 12.48% - Last Year: 110% (?)
ARK-W - 8.90% - Last Year: 150.77%
ARK-F - 4.53% -Last Year: 101.33%

ARK-G was the first I purchased in last year in summer.

You can see ARK-G and ARK-W both topped the ARK-K group last year.
Index ETF's 45% |ARK Funds 30% | AAPL 5% | TSLA 4% | GOOGL 2% | AMZN 1.3% |Other stocks 4.5% | BTC/ETH 9% |
spanky123

Post by spanky123 »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:46 pm
spanky123 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:21 pm
I think she did, but I did not. But I bought a lot of risky technology funds which also tanked, so the result was the same.

Why was she smart? QCOM tanked and didn’t recover till last year, a twenty year stretch.
I guess that she is not that smart after all. :)
spanky123

Post by spanky123 »

MinnGuyInvesting wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:12 pm Updating with last year's numbers.

The outcome are impressive! :sharebeer

Post by 000 »

MinnGuyInvesting wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:12 pm Updating with last year's numbers.

Thanks. I also see that the simple average of the four is 136.83% while ARKK returned 148.25%. langlands may be on to something here...
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

frugalor wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:13 am Just heard about ark funds from a pod cast and remember this thread. First thing it came to my mind is CGM Focus Fund. It did super well during the bull market before 2008. Then it did so poorly at the market crash and ever since.
Yes, thanks, I'd forgotten that. Ken Heebner is another one of those people whose was lionized and widely hailed as an investment genius who proved the existence of skill. A 2008 Harvard Business School alumni magazine article said
The cover of Fortune magazine (June 9, 2008) didn’t pull any punches. Above a photo of Ken Heebner (MBA ’65), a banner headline screamed “America’s Hottest Investor,” and below that, the magazine declared, “With a 24% annual return over the past decade, this mad genius is arguably the best fund manager of our time.” A contrarian who likes to uncover and then make big bets on emerging trends invisible to everyone else, Heebner said he feels most confident “when everyone else thinks I’m nuts.” His Boston-based Capital Growth Management funds have recorded impressive results as he has moved in and out of stocks with an uncanny ability to anticipate their ups and downs amid the economy’s twists and turns. Said a colleague, “How do you explain genius? Ken just sees things others don’t.”
Source

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
hagridshut

Post by hagridshut »

MinnGuyInvesting wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:22 pm
hagridshut wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:51 pm

The time to "go all in" on something is BEFORE it is hot. For example: buying Bitcoin in 2011, or NVDA (nVidia) in 2014. By the time it becomes hot, it is generally too late.
So... we shouldn't invest in indexing either?
Indexing is very hot right now.
I wouldn't call Indexing very hot, at least as far as attention and discussion on the Internet.

Only a small subset of r/investing on Reddit really subscribes to indexing, and there are 1.3M members. On the other hand, r/wallstreetbets has 1.8M members and a ton more activity around Options, Active Trading, Leverage, Market Timing, and all the stuff that this forum generally stands against (in theory :mrgreen:)

Indexing goes against human nature. Most people want to try to win against other people and get the highest gains possible by any means possible. Indexing is sitting back and going for the market return, which is guaranteed to be lower than the winners.

There has been a lot of money flowing into index funds over the past 10 years, but I think that's partially due to default 401(k) investments going into Target Date funds that are composed of underlying index funds.

Many workers are lazy and just go with the default, if they aren't really interested in Investing.
Taking a break as of 2 Mar. 2021; First Principles: (1) Diversify (2) Low Cost (3) Stay the Course | 3-Fund Index Portfolio
MinnGuyInvesting

hagridshut wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:35 pm

I wouldn't call Indexing very hot, at least as far as attention and discussion on the Internet.

Only a small subset of r/investing on Reddit really subscribes to indexing, and there are 1.3M members. On the other hand, r/wallstreetbets has 1.8M members and a ton more activity around Options, Active Trading, Leverage, Market Timing, and all the stuff that this forum generally stands against (in theory :mrgreen:)

Indexing goes against human nature. Most people want to try to win against other people and get the highest gains possible by any means possible. Indexing is sitting back and going for the market return, which is guaranteed to be lower than the winners.

There has been a lot of money flowing into index funds over the past 10 years, but I think that's partially due to default 401(k) investments going into Target Date funds that are composed of underlying index funds.

Many workers are lazy and just go with the default, if they aren't really interested in Investing.
I think a 2019 stat said about 45% of investments are passive investors. (I assume that means not actively managed). Whether that's all index or not, I'm not sure.
Index ETF's 45% |ARK Funds 30% | AAPL 5% | TSLA 4% | GOOGL 2% | AMZN 1.3% |Other stocks 4.5% | BTC/ETH 9% |
spanky123

Post by spanky123 »

MinnGuyInvesting wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:45 pm I think a 2019 stat said about 45% of investments are passive investors. (I assume that means not actively managed). Whether that's all index or not, I'm not sure.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/19/passive ... arket.html
45% of fund assets are passive while 55% are actively managed. Total fund assets are about $4.5 trillion USD (Source: Morningstar), which is much smaller than U.S. stock market cap of $36.358 trillion dollars.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-fund ... SKBN15H1PN
This article projects Index funds to surpass active fund assets in U.S. by 2024.
Trey86

Post by Trey86 »

I’ve been interested in holding ARKK in a rainy day fund for a while but I’m uncertain of the tax implications of holding a high turnover ETF (80%) in a taxable account.

I know ETFs are structured to be tax efficient but does anyone know what holding these in a regular brokerage account would look like in practice? Would it just be cap gains distributed once annually at end of the year?
tonsoftons

Post by tonsoftons »

occambogle wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:40 am as they are in taxable I'd have STCG if I changed anything now
when rebalance in taxable, you have STCG. but if rebalance in 401k, or Roth IRA, there is none?
spanky123

Post by spanky123 »

Trey86 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:11 pm I’ve been interested in holding ARKK in a rainy day fund for a while but I’m uncertain of the tax implications of holding a high turnover ETF (80%) in a taxable account.

I know ETFs are structured to be tax efficient but does anyone know what holding these in a regular brokerage account would look like in practice? Would it just be cap gains distributed once annually at end of the year?
You would pay tax on the distribution, such as cap gain, dividends/income. The total distribution of ARK funds could be found here: https://etfs.ark-funds.com/hubfs/1_Down ... K_ETFs.pdf

They look pretty tax efficient. :confused
totality

Post by totality »

Trey86 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:11 pm I’ve been interested in holding ARKK in a rainy day fund for a while but I’m uncertain of the tax implications of holding a high turnover ETF (80%) in a taxable account.

For a very quick look at this sort of thing, Morningstar has a nice feature where they estimate tax drag based what an investor in a high (highest? Not sure exactly) tax bracket would have paid in taxes by looking at the last three years of distributions.

For ARKK, they estimate 0.58% annually: https://www.morningstar.com/etfs/arcx/arkk/price

For comparison, they estimate Vanguard's total market fund had a drag of 0.49% annually: https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/vtsax/price

Conclusion: ARKK is quite tax efficient. In my opinion, you still shouldn't buy it, because it is extremely unlikely to outperform an index fund over the long run, but if you must buy it, a taxable account is fine.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

I bought Ark Funds with my GME gains. It's part of my play money.

There's a new article on the WSJ saying that ARK is running too hot.
Nathan Drake

Post by Nathan Drake »

New Providence wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:55 pm I bought Ark Funds with my GME gains. It's part of my play money.

WSB Yolo Gains go into Ark as a flight to safety; Ark invests into FAANG as a flight to safety
20% VOO | 20% VXUS | 20% AVUV | 20% AVDV | 20% AVES
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

Nathan Drake wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:57 pm
New Providence wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:55 pm I bought Ark Funds with my GME gains. It's part of my play money.

WSB Yolo Gains go into Ark as a flight to safety; Ark invests into FAANG as a flight to safety
Hahaah....that's funny. Well, at least I'm not buying Bitcoin. :wink:
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Ark is having their day in the sun. No one knows if that will continue.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
jpmorganfunds

Post by jpmorganfunds »

Arvid Ali has some thoughts on Ark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2kgPBol_Rw
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Do you have a link to the WSJ article? I can’t find it. Thanks.
mrfrosty2

Post by mrfrosty2 »

Jason Zweig Intelligent investor from today. Likely behind a paywall if you don't have a subscription.Otherwise just google it up.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

mrfrosty2 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:19 am Jason Zweig Intelligent investor from today. Likely behind a paywall if you don't have a subscription.Otherwise just google it up.
Thanks, it’s available to me on Apple News. Excellent article.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:30 am
mrfrosty2 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:19 am Jason Zweig Intelligent investor from today. Likely behind a paywall if you don't have a subscription.Otherwise just google it up.
Thanks, it’s available to me on Apple News. Excellent article.
I see my investment on Ark Funds the same way it was with GME. Small portion, play money, speculative, on IRA, Short-Term. For GME 50% gains in a few days.
For ARK I'd expect 50% gains in 6 months and then I'm out.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

abuss368 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:57 pm Ark is having their day in the sun. No one knows if that will continue.

Tony
I keep thinking Janus, to be honest.

Now there was a name to conjure with, in the late 1990s ...

Of course, this time it is different ;-).
MinnGuyInvesting

jpmorganfunds wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:28 pm Arvid Ali has some thoughts on Ark.

Who is Arvid Ali?

He says the "average reddit user" on WSB out-performed Cathie.
If the average Reddit user has, they all should create their own ETF's.

I don't think he has any factual data to prove that is true of the average reddit user.

He also says the portfolio is no better than the average 12 year old's.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

Just remember 90% of active funds underperform after about 5 years, sometimes because of their past success. It has been a great year for tech stocks for sure. I would be curious to use M1 or similar to clone the top 10 holdings of one of their funds and see what happens.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

The ARK bandwagon is getting a little too crowded now for my liking. Asset bloat is a real thing. I’ll continue to hold for now but I’m expecting returns to quickly fall back to earth. Hope I’m wrong.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Valuethinker wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:52 am
abuss368 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:57 pm Ark is having their day in the sun. No one knows if that will continue.

Tony
I keep thinking Janus, to be honest.

Now there was a name to conjure with, in the late 1990s ...

Of course, this time it is different ;-).
I forgot about Janus! I had a Merrill Lynch financial advisor at the time who placed us in Janus funds. Needless to say the result was a disaster.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
RickyAZ

Post by RickyAZ »

Treat them like a mutual fund for tax purposes. Lots of Capital Gains, paid last day of the year (2020). Make sure these are in tax advantaged accounts if using the ACA and near a cliff
Topic Author
Stanczyk

Post by Stanczyk »

So, who is buying ARKX in late March ? I will probably get some as soon as it hits the market.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Stanczyk wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:35 am So, who is buying ARKX in late March ? I will probably get some as soon as it hits the market.
I’m sure I won’t be able to help myself. I’m starting to collect like it’s a hobby.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

A good discussion recently from Catherine Wood on recent market moves and plans for future on Yahoo finance interview 36 minutes from Feb 6, 2021.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeB84wGeJiA
Nathan Drake

Post by Nathan Drake »

MinnGuyInvesting wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:55 am
jpmorganfunds wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:28 pm Arvid Ali has some thoughts on Ark.

Who is Arvid Ali?

He says the "average reddit user" on WSB out-performed Cathie.
If the average Reddit user has, they all should create their own ETF's.

I don't think he has any factual data to prove that is true of the average reddit user.

He also says the portfolio is no better than the average 12 year old's.
He was the manager for Jordan Belfort's companies. May have come from oil money. Seems to have an odd background, but most of what he's saying is pretty accurate.

I think his comment about the average reddit user was tongue in cheek, but it's no mystery that Cathie Wood's funds have primarily benefitted from huge stakes in Tesla stock, which is a meme reddit stock.

His point about Ark's analysts seems spot on to me. Fresh out of college with a BS in nothing impressive. Lots of buzzwords. I doubt many of deep understanding of what they are investing into. There's a lot of pixie dust in their forecasts.
20% VOO | 20% VXUS | 20% AVUV | 20% AVDV | 20% AVES
MinnGuyInvesting

I still haven't found anything worth while on Arvid Ali.

Evidently he retired at 26.

He also ran Jordan Belfort's company from September until now. That's like 5 months.
I'm not saying he doesn't make some okay analogies, but I'm not going to gobble up 100% of what he says.
Proof is in the pudding which is why I'd give Cathie Wood more credibility until proven otherwise.
burritoLover

Post by burritoLover »

Are all Ark funds strictly actively managed or are there index-like elements to their strategy as well?
MinnGuyInvesting

burritoLover wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:02 am Are all Ark funds strictly actively managed or are there index-like elements to their strategy as well?
PRNT and IZRL are two index ETF's they have that I believe are not actively managed.
burritoLover

Post by burritoLover »

MinnGuyInvesting wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:22 am
burritoLover wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:02 am Are all Ark funds strictly actively managed or are there index-like elements to their strategy as well?
PRNT and IZRL are two index ETF's they have that I believe are not actively managed.
Roger - thanks
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

If you want some perspective on Ark, this is a great podcast.

Is ARK the New Janus Twenty?

"On this episode of Trillions, we speak to Scott Schoelzel, the former PM of the Janus Twenty during the fund's magical stretch from 1998 to 2007."

https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/tr ... 2ZACQ8se0/
Last edited by ClevrChico on Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NYCwriter

Post by NYCwriter »

I don't check BH very often (remote teaching = busy). I've owned ARKK a few years now. Everything else is basic index funds. It was a "fun money" play as I'm a big nerd and follow some of the companies. Ark also sends out regular short newsletters on its holdings. My initial investment was under 10K, and I've only added twice during the big market drops.

Valuation is tricky. With small growth we're already paying up for cash burn on the promise that it'll all pay off down the line, but with ARK now labeled winners, people are piling in, so I'd expect diminishing returns. I've actually reduced a few times in the last several months.

As for Tesla, I was annoyed when Wood loaded up a couple years back, but the fund has reduced its shares and is capping at around 10% I think.
Busdrvr

Post by Busdrvr »

JonnyDVM wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:04 am The ARK bandwagon is getting a little too crowded now for my liking. Asset bloat is a real thing. I’ll continue to hold for now but I’m expecting returns to quickly fall back to earth. Hope I’m wrong.
They can afford to fall a long way, and yet still outperform the broader indexes. I’m enjoying the ride for now too :sharebeer
ccf

Post by ccf »

Stanczyk wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:35 am So, who is buying ARKX in late March ? I will probably get some as soon as it hits the market.
not me, if you'd like to speculate on what it might contain based on a fund ARK has available in Japan:

https://twitter.com/FPTXYZ/status/1356698425799106566
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

ccf wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:57 pm
not me, if you'd like to speculate on what it might contain based on a fund ARK has available in Japan:

https://twitter.com/FPTXYZ/status/1356698425799106566
Probably buy a small position. I own ARK under my 5% play money. 90% of my investables are in Vanguard
cos

Post by cos »

New Providence wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:33 pm
Nathan Drake wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:57 pm

Hahaah....that's funny. Well, at least I'm not buying Bitcoin. :wink:
Last I checked, ~5% of ARKW is in bitcoin. Just a heads up.
adave

Post by adave »

I have a small position in ARKK also, maybe 2% of total portfolio. It keeps my otherwise fairly vanilla vanguard ETF portfolio a little exciting.
jpmorganfunds

Post by jpmorganfunds »

John Rubino has some thoughts on Ark too.

The everything bubble’s supernova is the ARK Innovation ETF, run by hitherto obscure (and now household name) Cathie Wood. Her “innovation”? She loaded up on Tesla stock right before it embarked on an epic (and inexplicable) 1000% run that made it more valuable than the ten biggest carmakers on the planet combined.

https://www.dollarcollapse.com/biggest- ... -hell-yes/