WSJ print edition renewal time - any discounts?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
regularguy455

Re: WSJ print edition renwal time - any discounts?

Post by regularguy455 »

Was paying full freight for digital ($40/mo). Called and asked for a better rate. Instantly granted rate of $14/mo for 6 months. Took 15 minutes.
AnnieK

Post by AnnieK »

I have used gaschoolstore and have been very happy with them. The first time it only took a week or two, the second it took six. There was no lapse in service though as they (WSJ) kept delivering on the first subscription for a pretty long time after expiration while they tried to woo me into a full price renewal.

There are very few 'legit' third party sellers according to WSJ and gaschoolstore is one of them.
Topic Author
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

Thanks, AnnieK. It's good to learn that you have had positive experiences with them.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
Tellurius

Post by Tellurius »

NextMil wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:59 pm
Tellurius wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:24 pm Just switch to the Financial Times? Probably more expensive, but better quality? I would be interested to hear Bogleheads' thoughts on the two newspapers
If you live in the US and need your news timely then FT is a no go. I also prefer WSJ over FT and who wants to carry a pink, ok salmon, paper? :wink:
Interesting. Is the delivery of the FT actually slow? Or are you referring to the online experience? Does anyone have experience of this? Surely, they would print somewhere in the American continent for their American customers.
“And how shall I think of you?' He considered a moment and then laughed. 'Think of me with my nose in a book!” | ― Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
NextMil

Post by NextMil »

Tellurius wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:20 am
NextMil wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:59 pm
Tellurius wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:24 pm Just switch to the Financial Times? Probably more expensive, but better quality? I would be interested to hear Bogleheads' thoughts on the two newspapers
If you live in the US and need your news timely then FT is a no go. I also prefer WSJ over FT and who wants to carry a pink, ok salmon, paper? :wink:
Interesting. Is the delivery of the FT actually slow? Or are you referring to the online experience? Does anyone have experience of this? Surely, they would print somewhere in the American continent for their American customers.
When FT goes to print they are six hours ahead.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Thanks for the digital sub. tip!
celia

Post by celia »

TnGuy wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:14 pm
ThereAreNoGurus wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:40 am Why would you go with that option? Further down the thread smectym suggested the following:
I’d go with this (Amazon) deal, I think this is about what we pay. $119 for 1 year (print + digital)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... dition=new
The 94% rating of the seller (including 89% in the last 30 days) + only 17 total ratings stopped me in my tracks.

David
David, I also bought WSJ from this seller for my dad for Father's Day but didn't bother to add a rating. I only tend to give ratings when something went terribly wrong or expectionally well. I also tend to rate the product as I get annoyed when I am researching a product before I buy and see comments like "seller shipped quickly" or "good communication with the seller". I vote those comments down as they are not useful to my purchase decision regarding the product.

"Everyone" already knows that the Wall Street Journal is a financial newspaper. If someone subscribed without knowing this, they would likely get the pro-rated unused part of their subscription back, by asking for a refund. So I don't expect an Amazon listing like this to have much feedback. I wasn't even noticing that you could also review the seller because Amazon has always been there for me if I didn't receive .my item. This particular seller also appears to have been selling WSJ on Amazon for about 90 days (when I purchased it) as the number of reviews for 90 days is currently the same as for 1 year.

I understand if you feel skeptical, but to me everything seemed up-and-up. We had no problems at all.

I also once used gaschoolstore because of a recommendation on this forum. No problem with them either, except the price is higher.
dowse

Post by dowse »

TnGuy wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:31 pm I went ahead and did the gaschoolstore @ $198/year. We'll see what happens.

Thank you all for replying. And, thanks to "123" for posting the gaschoolstore info in the thread.

David
Did you select New or Renewal?
QoolQat

Post by QoolQat »

Just renewed...this worked out to be ligit.

https://www.wsjsale.com
Topic Author
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

dowse wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:18 am
TnGuy wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:31 pm I went ahead and did the gaschoolstore @ $198/year. We'll see what happens.

Thank you all for replying. And, thanks to "123" for posting the gaschoolstore info in the thread.

David
Did you select New or Renewal?
I chose "Renewal".

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
Topic Author
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

celia wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:30 pm David, I also bought WSJ from this seller for my dad for Father's Day but didn't bother to add a rating. I only tend to give ratings when something went terribly wrong or expectionally well. I also tend to rate the product as I get annoyed when I am researching a product before I buy and see comments like "seller shipped quickly" or "good communication with the seller". I vote those comments down as they are not useful to my purchase decision regarding the product.

"Everyone" already knows that the Wall Street Journal is a financial newspaper. If someone subscribed without knowing this, they would likely get the pro-rated unused part of their subscription back, by asking for a refund. So I don't expect an Amazon listing like this to have much feedback. I wasn't even noticing that you could also review the seller because Amazon has always been there for me if I didn't receive .my item. This particular seller also appears to have been selling WSJ on Amazon for about 90 days (when I purchased it) as the number of reviews for 90 days is currently the same as for 1 year.

I understand if you feel skeptical, but to me everything seemed up-and-up. We had no problems at all.

I also once used gaschoolstore because of a recommendation on this forum. No problem with them either, except the price is higher.
Thanks, celia. I will certainly try and keep this in mind when my renewal time rolls around again next year (assuming they are still in business then).

David
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

TnGuy wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:07 pmThanks, celia. I will certainly try and keep this in mind when my renewal time rolls around again next year (assuming they are still in business then). -David
I went the same route as David because I contacted the seller via Amazon mail to ask about vacation holds and got back this response, which gave me enough concern to go the GASCHOOLS route: "HI, The date is no problem for starting. The login will be our own we supply to you. A private unique login thats not actually a working email. We recommend it not be changed or altered. Its just used to login to digital." I might be wrong, but it felt like the seller was just using a NEW promotional subscription and then doing something like changing the address from him to me. IDK, just a feeling.

I am also hoping a RENEWAL of my existing WSJ account goes thru GASCHOOLS process without difficulties. We'll see.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
Topic Author
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

Update:

My new subscription arrived in just a matter of a few days. And, even though I signed up at gaschoolstore using the "RENEWAL" button I still had to call up the WSJ to cancel my existing account (btw - they don't let you cancel online; it must be done over the phone). So, overall, I've had a good experience w/ gaschoolstore....... and am still getting to enjoy the tactile feeling of having the newspaper in my lap.

David
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

TnGuy wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:10 pm Update:

My new subscription arrived in just a matter of a few days. And, even though I signed up at gaschoolstore using the "RENEWAL" button I still had to call up the WSJ to cancel my existing account (btw - they don't let you cancel online; it must be done over the phone). So, overall, I've had a good experience w/ gaschoolstore....... and am still getting to enjoy the tactile feeling of having the newspaper in my lap.

David
I did the renewal via GASCHOOLSTORE (Great American Schools, for those wondering), and WSJ processed the renewal without comment or notification. I just checked via the Customer Center link (https://customercenter.wsj.com/home ) and it's through 9/19. Happy about this, and glad to have a simple renewal and not dork around with Amazon's somewhat odd "Dow Joness" links. If newspaper home delivery was invented after digital delivery, we'd all be oohing-and-aahing about the ability to read this newfangled paper version without batteries, in varied daylight, at the beach, with huge screen presentation, simply delivered to your driveway each morning, and with digital updates just a screen away. 8-)
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
penumbra

Post by penumbra »

WSJ again available using frequent flyer points at magsformiles.com. Hope this helps someone else!!!
anil686

Post by anil686 »

Apple has much of the WSJ and probably all of it but hard to navigate some areas for 9.99 per month for their news app FWIW - also you get the LA times and like 50 magazines including sports illustrated...
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

Is this deal "Print only" ? Thanks for the heads up?
penumbra wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:21 pm WSJ again available using frequent flyer points at magsformiles.com. Hope this helps someone else!!!
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

Is this deal "Print only" ? Thanks for the heads up !
penumbra wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:21 pm WSJ again available using frequent flyer points at magsformiles.com. Hope this helps someone else!!!
kramer

Post by kramer »

btw - they don't let you cancel online; it must be done over the phone
This alone would prevent me from ever subscribing.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

This may have been mentioned already but there’s usually good discounts on eBay. I’ve purchased the digital version on eBay and been happy.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh »

anil686 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:39 am Apple has much of the WSJ and probably all of it but hard to navigate some areas for 9.99 per month for their news app FWIW - also you get the LA times and like 50 magazines including sports illustrated...
I use this as well. The WSJ interface sucks but you can find everything you want to read by cutting and pasting into the search box easy enough. The rest of the offerings really make the Apple News+ subscription worthwhile. Yesterday, I read the WSJ, runners world, the Atlantic, and Architectural Digest. I enjoy the heck out of it.
Jerry Garcia: If I knew the way...I would take you home.
idoc2020

Post by idoc2020 »

I was paying about $21/mo for 6 months and suddenly noticed that I was now paying $44/mo. I called them up and they told me that the regular price was $44 and I was out of the promotional period. I knew that there were other methods to pay less so I asked them to cancel the subscription and that I would get it elsewhere. Right away, the person on the phone offered to keep my rate at $21 for another 6 months. I asked her if she could renew it for a year or more and she said it was not possible. I'm very satisfied with $21/month. I'm not opposed to paying because I would be miserable if they went out of business. They are a vital service and they are definitely worth paying for. We also get the L.A Times at a fairly hefty fee which is garbage compared to the WSJ. My wife seems to think it's essential to get a local paper although I never read it.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

me and da' wife just switch every year. When my discount subscription comes due at full price, I cancel and then she subscribes with New discount pricing. When her discount ends, I subscribe under New (having been out for a year).
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

jehovasfitness wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:58 am $400-500/yr?

wow :shock:

even at $40-50/yr no thanks. Too much free info available online these days
I enjoy the print edit too. Problem is today a lot of the “news” is from unreliable sources.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
mokaThought

Post by mokaThought »

eBay worked for me when buying a digital subscription.
"October: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August and February."
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

mokaThought wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:43 am eBay worked for me when buying a digital subscription.
Well, re: eBay, I DID buy a 5-year WSJ digital subscription (based on other BH recommendations.)

However, today, (after 1 year), it "died" on me. I contacted the seller and his email didn't work mysteriously (or not). Not sure what my options are with this or if I want to chance another eBay seller after this experience. :shock:
mokaThought

Post by mokaThought »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:58 am
mokaThought wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:43 am eBay worked for me when buying a digital subscription.
Well, re: eBay, I DID buy a 5-year WSJ digital subscription (based on other BH recommendations.)

However, today, (after 1 year), it "died" on me. I contacted the seller and his email didn't work mysteriously (or not). Not sure what my options are with this or if I want to chance another eBay seller after this experience. :shock:
Yikes! I bought a one-year for $60 earlier. Maybe I'll stick with one-year instead of higher.
"October: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August and February."
Pandemic Bangs

Post by Pandemic Bangs »

Shows up free in my driveway. Should I be worried?

Spouse even called to cancel it when she accidentally read the editorial page. It still keeps coming.

It's like the old Seinfield: "You can't fire me; I don't even work here!" "That's what makes this so difficult..."
Wait 'til I get my money right | Then you can't tell me nothing, right?
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Pandemic Bangs wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:40 pm Shows up free in my driveway. Should I be worried?

Spouse even called to cancel it when she accidentally read the editorial page. It still keeps coming.

It's like the old Seinfield: "You can't fire me; I don't even work here!" "That's what makes this so difficult..."
LOL. Nice problem to have if you read it.... :beer
BogleFan510

Post by BogleFan510 »

removed
Last edited by BogleFan510 on Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mokaThought

Post by mokaThought »

BogleFan510 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:47 pm I dont find the WSJ offers good content anymore, and often slants their editorial views into the territory of financial noise, not news.

Why not save the money and ignore the financial and media noise Newscorp is pushing?
I'm a new subscriber, and I've actually been really impressed. I'll go so far to admit I've liked their editorials as of late and leave it at that for forum rules purposes.
MBB_Boy

Re: WSJ print edition renewal time - any discounts?

Post by MBB_Boy »

The only news i consistently read. Opinion and news desks are run completely separately with a firewall, sometimes it shows. If you don't like the opinions pages.....don't read them.I

Unlike other places where the opinions aren't carved out separately and are this impossible to avoid in just trying to read news
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Just for grins I just checked ebay offerings for the W$J, good grief!

Talk about much higher prices! Perhaps the W$J is monitoring ebay to thin out questionable subscriptions.

Mine still works, so fingers crossed.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
BogleFan510

Post by BogleFan510 »

removed
Last edited by BogleFan510 on Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdb

Post by jdb »

This is an old thread recently resurrected. As someone who enjoys good print journalism and avoids television and radio news I am dismayed at quality demise of American newspapers. But I keep daily home delivery full price subscriptions to print NYT and WSJ, it is worth it to me, read each cover to cover every morning while sipping my coffee. In my opinion the general news coverage both national and international of NYT is excellent and business news coverage of WSJ still excellent. I quickly skim editorial pages of both papers, I can make up my own opinions thank you, but pay more attention to WSJ even though usually disagree since believe good to keep your friends close but your enemies closer. Good luck.
Last edited by jdb on Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mokaThought

Post by mokaThought »

BogleFan510 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:17 pm
mokaThought wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:59 pm
BogleFan510 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:47 pm I dont find the WSJ offers good content anymore, and often slants their editorial views into the territory of financial noise, not news.

Why not save the money and ignore the financial and media noise Newscorp is pushing?
I'm a new subscriber, and I've actually been really impressed. I'll go so far to admit I've liked their editorials as of late and leave it at that for forum rules purposes.
Their news desk does try to present facts with ever declining resources that is true. I have many journalist friends and the skuttlebut is that there news is trending towards fewer and fewer original stories and becomming the type of AP commodity stuff available for free. Commodity news is available at many sources.

Editorially, they lost me when it appeared that attacking women with no basis was an agenda they fully endorse, like suggesting a PHD woman should not use the title Doctor, because they dont see patients. Never had that view for Dr. Kissinger or a thousand men. That quality of editorial work lost me. Each person can decide, we can leave it at that to avoid forum rules debates. I personally used to respect them much more and see a decline in quality.
I know which article you're referring to with regards to a woman with a Ph.D. Yeah, that was an outlier.
BogleFan510

Post by BogleFan510 »

removed
Last edited by BogleFan510 on Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

BogleFan510 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:17 pm
mokaThought wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:59 pm

Their news desk does try to present facts with ever declining resources that is true. I have many journalist friends and the skuttlebut is that there news is trending towards fewer and fewer original stories and becomming the type of AP commodity stuff available for free. Commodity news is available at many sources.

Editorially, they lost me when it appeared that attacking women with no basis was an agenda they fully endorse, like suggesting a PHD woman should not use the title Doctor, because they dont see patients. Never had that view for Dr. Kissinger or a thousand men. That quality of editorial work lost me. Each person can decide, we can leave it at that to avoid forum rules debates. I personally used to respect them much more and see a decline in quality.
Interesting note on the decline of original stories @WSJ. I've noticed they mark some stories as "featured content" or something similar but I think Bloomberg and other sites do the same thing so as to distinguish themselves. I don't understand why their pricing model is so much higher vs. the NYT, for example. I think the WSJ's news reporting is excellent. As to their editorials, the tilt is generally known so YMMV.