H&R Block 2020 software offer

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
dodecahedron

Re: H&R Block 2020 software offer

Post by dodecahedron »

forkhorn wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:53 am $17.50 at Amazon today (2020, Deluxe, federal only). Just bought it.
Great deal (50% off) for those in states without state/local income taxes. Unfortunately, they have the Deluxe plus State package at only 22% off, at $34.99.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

It's still $29.22 from the offer I posted earlier. A direct link: H&R Block® (all products shown)

The offer is good through the end of November, which ends tomorrow.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

H&R Block Tax Software Premium & Business, which includes 1041 for trusts and estates, is $39.99, which equals the lowest price from last year.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

$17.50 at Amazon today (2020, Deluxe, federal only). Just bought it.
says it all - federal only.

Noted premium + state is currently cheaper than deluxe + state.
tfb

Post by tfb »

Seasonal wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:05 am H&R Block Tax Software Premium & Business, which includes 1041 for trusts and estates, is $39.99, which equals the lowest price from last year.
It can also do returns for a partnership or S-Corp in addition to personal returns. It's the best deal on the market. TurboTax Business is $120, and it doesn't even include personal returns.
Harry Sit has left the forums.
Grogs

Post by Grogs »

forkhorn wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:53 am $17.50 at Amazon today (2020, Deluxe, federal only). Just bought it.
Same here. $17.50 seems like a good price for those of us who don't need state.
invstar

Post by invstar »

Bought from Amazon for 17.50. I will use state's online tax filing site to file my state taxes.
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

Jumped on the new egg deal for deluxe and state, backed up to Gdrive. Thx!
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Discount is back up at newegg for cyber Monday
rr2

Post by rr2 »

Fed + State at 22.49 now at amazon and also newegg.
MtnBiker

Post by MtnBiker »

dodecahedron wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:04 pm I am tempted to just cave and join the folks going for Walmart, but looking at CamelCamelCamel to see last year's roller coast price history for this product encourages me to wait longer for Amazon to do one of their characteristic random drops to the low $20s (including storage in the free archive library, which stores all my access codes as well as the software links for all prior years I have purchase the program from Amazon.)
Those of us who resisted the temptation and waited for the 50% off Deluxe + State offer for Cyber Monday at Amazon have been rewarded.
Last edited by MtnBiker on Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
BL

Post by BL »

rr2 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:30 am Fed + State at 22.49 now at amazon and also newegg.
Just bought it at Amazon.com. I like that the software library keeps it available.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Those of us who predicted that they will purchase too soon and regret not waiting until Black Friday / Cyber Monday have also been rewarded. Our predictions were correct.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

BL wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:33 am
rr2 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:30 am Fed + State at 22.49 now at amazon and also newegg.
Just bought it at Amazon.com. I like that the software library keeps it available.
Me too! Feeling vindicated for waiting. Amazon also applied an additional personal one dollar discount (that had been sitting in my account.)

Historically, it appears the price might briefly dip a tiny bit lower at some random time in January, but I will be way too busy to monitor prices then.

And I love the automatically organized and easy to find archived software library inside my Amazon account.
djmbob

Post by djmbob »

I bought the Walmart Deluxe deal last Friday evening and yesterday "completed" my fed taxes and my mom's with numbers YTD and projections for Dec. Just a great way to spend the holiday weekend! :D

Cheers,
Ray
prudent

Post by prudent »

Tax software gets tweaked and updated all the time as the filing deadline approaches. I'm curious if anyone knows if the Amazon library stores updated versions, or if they store the original retail version where you would be dependent on H&R Block to provide update services for old versions.
ScooterBob

Post by ScooterBob »

prudent wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:02 am Tax software gets tweaked and updated all the time as the filing deadline approaches. I'm curious if anyone knows if the Amazon library stores updated versions, or if they store the original retail version where you would be dependent on H&R Block to provide update services for old versions.

I'd bet that they store the original version and the end buyer does the updates that are available at the time they download it.
Great deal, by the way. Another score for Bogleheads!

Bob
snowman

Post by snowman »

Waited for Amazon to come through, and it did!

This year, I will have to prepare 2 state returns. What's the most cost-effective way to purchase second state return? I think it's $40 to add second state later, but I am not sure. I am wondering if I should just buy 2 bundles now. I am sure there are people here that are (or have been) in my shoes and can offer advise.

Thanks!
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

prudent wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:02 am Tax software gets tweaked and updated all the time as the filing deadline approaches. I'm curious if anyone knows if the Amazon library stores updated versions, or if they store the original retail version where you would be dependent on H&R Block to provide update services for old versions.
It appears Amazon stores the original retail version. I downloaded from Amazon, immediately installed and the software then downloaded a bunch of updates.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Seasonal wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:10 am
It appears Amazon stores the original retail version. I downloaded from Amazon, immediately installed and the software then downloaded a bunch of updates.
I could be wrong, but I believe that HRB markets only the "original" version of the software throughout each tax year. IOW if you buy the software many months after it first hits the market, you get the same version that first hits the market.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

TXAGBH wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:01 am For what it’s worth, I just tried to open up TT, first time since April ‘20 when I filed, and evidently between all the Windows updates and such, and the wasted activations with the USB issue, TT thinks it’s a different computer :oops: So yeah, I guess I would be forced to buy another copy of TT if I needed to amend anything. Crazy! Never using TT again.
I installed TT 2019 on at least 2 PC's and it didn't care! I never heard about TT limit per machine to install, I know that you have only 5 efiles.
Here is a part of their license agreement:
Supplemental License Grant and Restrictions.
In addition to the General License Grant you may: (I) install and use a copy of the Software on one or more computers owned by you (at home or at work);
https://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/licens ... esktop.jsp
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

snowman wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:09 am Waited for Amazon to come through, and it did!

This year, I will have to prepare 2 state returns. What's the most cost-effective way to purchase second state return? I think it's $40 to add second state later, but I am not sure. I am wondering if I should just buy 2 bundles now. I am sure there are people here that are (or have been) in my shoes and can offer advise.

Thanks!

a second state program is like $20 (unless something has changed).
You can buy the other state thru the program when you create your return and it walks you through completing each.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

F150HD wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:30 am
snowman wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:09 am Waited for Amazon to come through, and it did!

Thanks!

a second state program is like $20 (unless something has changed).
You can buy the other state thru the program when you create your return and it walks you through completing each.
Yes, and you definitely want all states associated with your return inside the same overall software program. There can be interactions between states (e.g., if you file resident taxes in one state and nonresident in another, your resident state will generally give you a credit for some or all of what you paid the nonresident state.)
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

dodecahedron wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:37 am Yes, and you definitely want all states associated with your return inside the same overall software program. There can be interactions between states (e.g., if you file resident taxes in one state and nonresident in another, your resident state will generally give you a credit for some or all of what you paid the nonresident state.)
+1 credit to another state is critical.

I too waited and just made my purchase. Feel vindicated. :greedy

I did notice the file size has increased 50% from 32MB to 49MB. Wonder what is in the new program that wasn't in the old the past few years (its not a lot of memory to begin with, but just wondering)
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

ScooterBob wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:05 am

I'd bet that they store the original version and the end buyer does the updates that are available at the time they download it.
I'm sure Bob is right. It would be crazy inefficient for Amazon software library to download and store the most recent updates every time they happen (they come at least daily during the height of tax season.) Updates also include updates to your state program but Amazon software library at time of purchase does not have any way to know which state you eventually choose. (You don't choose your state until states become available, typically at some point in January.)
snowman

Post by snowman »

Thank you both for responding! Yes, I know there is a way to purchase additional states through the program later, I just don't know at what price. I googled and all I am getting is the $39.xx price tag. I know it should be less.

I should say that I am preparing tax returns for us and family members, one of which lives in a different state. So there is no issue with part-year residency, it would be completely separate tax return. That's why I was thinking if additional state later is more than $22.50, I might as well buy the second bundle.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

F150HD wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:46 am
dodecahedron wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:37 am Yes, and you definitely want all states associated with your return inside the same overall software program. There can be interactions between states (e.g., if you file resident taxes in one state and nonresident in another, your resident state will generally give you a credit for some or all of what you paid the nonresident state.)
+1 credit to another state is critical.

I too waited and just made my purchase. Feel vindicated. :greedy

I did notice the file size has increased 50% from 32MB to 49MB. Wonder what is in the new program that wasn't in the old the past few years (its not a lot of memory to begin with, but just wondering)
Lots of changes to tax law this year: all the COVID CARES provisions (and explanations thereof) had to be tacked on (and done so in a fairly expeditious manner, which may not have optimized file size.) The Recovery Rebate Credit, the ability to temporarily borrow from retirement accounts in a penalty free manner if certain conditions are satisfied with up to three years to repay withdrawals to make it tax free or spread tax liability over otherwise), the charitable deduction for non-itemizers, the relaxing of charitable deduction limits for itemizers, the waiver of 2020 RMD with ability to repay RMD distributions if taken during a certain window early in the year, exclusion of student loan repayments made by your employer, option for the self-employed to postpone payment of self-employment taxes, 100% bonus depreciation provisions, NOL carryback provisions, etc.)

It is fairly miraculous that $22.49 pays for software that requires so much annual work (and of course, unknown how much additional future work will be required if there are federal and/or state income tax changes between now and filing deadline.)

Back in the day (before 2013), my husband used to always just pick up our CD copy of TurboTax whenever it was convenient (typically when he was in Staples getting other stuff.) I think it typically cost about $50 or $60. He liked having the physical disk. (He also did not like efiling.) And although he was a bargain hunter in general, he did not seem interested in shopping around for TT deals.

The tax code only seems to increase in complexity so it does seem amazing that I can purchase a program that has fully met all my needs for half or even less of what he used to pay.
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

In the past, when I had to file an amended return, I downloaded and installed a 3 year old version of H&R Block software from my Amazon library. It was the original file and it needed immediate updates as soon as it was installed. I also had to choose and install the state portion. This experience made me appreciate having access to 8+ years of software available in the library. If I had ordered directly from H&R Block, I would have had to pay for an extended download service fee.

Here's what I can currently still download from my Amazon software library with their activation keys along with the prices I paid.

11/30/20: Premium 2020, 31MB --> $32.49
12/2/19: Premium 2019, 32MB --> $32.49
11/23/18: Premium 2018, 32MB --> $32.50
11/26/17: Premium 2017, 32MB --> $40.37
02/6/17: Premium 2016,32MB --> $26.99
01/6/16: Premium 2015, 100MB --> $31.99
01/13/15: Premium 2014, 32MB --> $41.08
12/16/13: Deluxe + State 2013, 32MB --> $29.99
01/05/13: Deluxe + State 2012, 35.38MB --> $21.99
01/07/12: Delxue + State 2011,32MB --> $19.99

Note, these days I store up a bunch of No-Rush Reward credits and purchase tax software on CyberMonday. For example, this year I had $13 of No-Rush credits ($32.50-$13=$19.50). Excellent pricing for the Premium flavor.
I added download sizes to the list. Premium 2015 is the oddball.
Last edited by mervinj7 on Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

F150HD wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:46 am I did notice the file size has increased 50% from 32MB to 49MB. Wonder what is in the new program that wasn't in the old the past few years (its not a lot of memory to begin with, but just wondering)
Actually (after writing an elaborate answer above as to why file size might have increased due to all the changes in tax law), I just took a look at *my* archive.

File size for my Mac download version of Block Deluxe plus State actually went *down* slightly to a record low this year. It was 31 MB in tax year 2020. It was 32 MB in tax years 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019. Weirdly it was 100MB in tax year 2015. Except for that one blip in 2015, there has been little change in file size.

All of the above were Mac versions, by the way. I am guessing F150HD has the PC download?

I also have older versions of TurboTax in my software library. I have the Mac 2014 version of TT Premium plus State, which was 74 MB (which I never actually used, due to a bug that caused me to switch to Block. In retrospect, I can see in my archive that I could actually have returned it easily since I discovered the bug and switched prior to the return window deadline. Ah well, live and learn.) And I have the PC 2013 version of TT Business, which was 113MB.
tj

Post by tj »

mervinj7 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:13 am
In the past, when I had to file an amended return, I downloaded and installed a 3 year old version of H&R Block software from my Amazon library. It was the original file and it needed immediate updates as soon as it was installed. I also had to choose and install the state portion. This experience made me appreciate having access to 8+ years of software available in the library. If I had ordered directly from H&R Block, I would have had to pay for an extended download service fee.

Here's what I can currently still download from my Amazon software library with their activation keys along with the prices I paid.

11/30/20: Premium 2020 --> $32.49
12/2/19: Premium 2019 --> $32.49
11/23/18: Premium 2018 --> $32.50
11/26/17: Premium 2017 --> $40.37
02/6/17: Premium 2016 --> $26.99
01/6/16: Premium 2015 --> $31.99
01/13/15: Premium 2014 --> $41.08
12/16/13: Deluxe + State 2013 --> $29.99
01/05/13: Deluxe + State 2012 --> $21.99
01/07/12: Delxue + State 2011 --> $19.99

Note, these days I store up a bunch of No-Rush Reward credits and purchase tax software on CyberMonday. For example, this year I had $13 of No-Rush credits ($32.50-$13=$19.50). Excellent pricing for the Premium flavor.
Why did you switch from Deluxe to Premium?
hudson

Post by hudson »

In the past, when I had to file an amended return, I downloaded and installed a 3 year old version of H&R Block software from my Amazon library. It was the original file and it needed immediate updates as soon as it was installed. I also had to choose and install the state portion. This experience made me appreciate having access to 8+ years of software available in the library.
If I had ordered directly from H&R Block, I would have had to pay for an extended download service fee.

mervinj7,
Thanks for the excellent and detailed post!

One does not need the extended download from H&R Block IF one saves the install file and the install code every year. (And keeps backup copies) As you know H&R Block has a page that has the old updates for a number of years.

Good idea on saving credits.

I purchased Microsoft Office from Amazon and it was in the software library. When I went to re-install it several years later, I got a "no longer available" message. The Office version from Amazon was long-in-the tooth, so I just purchased a new version...a direct download from Microsoft. I saved a copy of the install file and the install code on my hard drive and on backup drives. It's not that hard to do it yourself.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

tj wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:13 pm

Why did you switch from Deluxe to Premium?
I didn't know you could add up multiple credits for no-rush rewards. I apparently misread the rules or perhaps the aggregation of no-rush rewards changed sometime or another.

I will certainly start using the no-rush rewards if they can be used via multiple rewards, as very few Amazon orders need rapid delivery.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

tj wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:13 pm Why did you switch from Deluxe to Premium?
My SO started a consulting business on the side. Later, we invested in a rental property. Though I believe it's possible to stick with deluxe for both situations, I do like the worksheets/interview in Premium. At this point, buying premium has become habitual.
Last edited by mervinj7 on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:30 pm I didn't know you could add up multiple credits for no-rush rewards. I apparently misread the rules or perhaps the aggregation of no-rush rewards changed sometime or another.

I will certainly start using the no-rush rewards if they can be used via multiple rewards, as very few Amazon orders need rapid delivery.

Broken Man 1999
Yes, you can stack them! I use no rush whenever I can. This time I did use up some of my credits to rent a couple of movies last month but otherwise I save them for today.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

mervinj7 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:39 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:30 pm I didn't know you could add up multiple credits for no-rush rewards. I apparently misread the rules or perhaps the aggregation of no-rush rewards changed sometime or another.

Broken Man 1999
Yes, you can stack them! I use no rush whenever I can. This time I did use up some of my credits to rent a couple of movies last month but otherwise I save them for today.
Good to know! Thanks!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

hudson wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:27 pm mervinj7,
Thanks for the excellent and detailed post!

One does not need the extended download from H&R Block IF one saves the install file and the install code every year. (And keeps backup copies) As you know H&R Block has a page that has the old updates for a number of years.
Fair enough. I generally keep backups of my documents in several places but I haven't been backing up installed software as thoroughly.
FireAway

Re: H&R Block - download vs key card?

Post by FireAway »

I usually get a CD-ROM, so that if I get a new computer and need access to old returns I can easily reinstall. This year HRB does not offer a CD_ROM, the choices are download or 'key card', where they mail you a physical key card (USB device, I'm guessing?) that allows you to download the software from HRB.
Any thoughts on Amazon download, vs key card, for the situation where I may need to re-download the software years later? Does Amazon let you re-download purchased software to a different device? It sounds as the key card is supposed to allow that.
invstar

Post by invstar »

I bought federal only edition yesterday on Amazon for 17.50. Is there anyway I can upgrade to today's price of federal + state. Thanks.
invstar wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:40 pm Bought from Amazon for 17.50. I will use state's online tax filing site to file my state taxes.
Agapostemon

Post by Agapostemon »

I forgot all about Cyber Monday, so I was pleased and surprised to see H&R Block Fed+State listed at 22.49 today.

Also our Prime membership paid off, due to multiple no-hurry and Prime-day shipping discounts stacking up. Bottom line was only $5.30!
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

A big thank you for the heads up on the Fed+State at Amazon for Cyber Monday. I purchased it today and will probably download it around February 1st.
marekc

Post by marekc »

Check walmart.com. $22 for deluxe now
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

marekc wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:39 pm Check walmart.com. $22 for deluxe now
Actually Amazon and Walmart are currently tied (to the penny) at $22.49 for Black Monday pricing on Block Deluxe plus State.

But Amazon gives me free convenient archiving (in the same software library where all my other prior year software is located) *and* allows me to use my no-rush shipping credits to further lower the net price.

So, for me, tie easily goes to Amazon. (Plus I don't even have an account set up at Walmart.com.) Ordering at Amazon was a snap--a couple of mouse clicks and done.

That said, competition is good for everyone. Keeps vendors on their toes.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

dodecahedron wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:00 pm All of the above were Mac versions, by the way. I am guessing F150HD has the PC download?
yes, will download eventually. Currently transitioning to a new laptop so once thats up and running, will download.

I did learn today....that purchasing software does not count towards the $25 free shipping limit @ Amazon. I added a needed item to my purchase today but despite exceeding $25, the shipping was not 'free' so canceled the item. Guessing b/c software isn't shipped (its downloaded). Still a bit peculiar though.
MtnBiker

Post by MtnBiker »

F150HD wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:17 pm I did learn today....that purchasing software does not count towards the $25 free shipping limit @ Amazon. I added a needed item to my purchase today but despite exceeding $25, the shipping was not 'free' so canceled the item. Guessing b/c software isn't shipped (its downloaded). Still a bit peculiar though.
Also, the PC download version seems to not be subject to collection of state sales tax, presumably because nothing is shipped to any particular location. For anyone interested in knowing whether they might be required to report use tax on such a purchase, I found a map showing taxability of software by state here: https://taxfoundation.org/states-sales-taxes-software/. (Note the data is from 2013 so can be assumed to be obsolete at this point.)
Scooter57

Post by Scooter57 »

Update on using the software on Windows 7.

I downloaded the 2020 Deluxe with State today from Amazon.

It installed on my Windows 7 machine with no issues.

It appears to work except that it keeps telling me that I have to wait until the next update in early January to do pretty much everything. I believe from reviews I read that this is what it does this year and has nothing to do with the operating system.
hudson

Post by hudson »

dodecahedron wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:45 pm
marekc wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:39 pm Check walmart.com. $22 for deluxe now
Actually Amazon and Walmart are currently tied (to the penny) at $22.49 for Black Monday pricing on Block Deluxe plus State.

But Amazon gives me free convenient archiving (in the same software library where all my other prior year software is located) *and* allows me to use my no-rush shipping credits to further lower the net price.

So, for me, tie easily goes to Amazon. (Plus I don't even have an account set up at Walmart.com.) Ordering at Amazon was a snap--a couple of mouse clicks and done.

That said, competition is good for everyone. Keeps vendors on their toes.
At Amazon with tax, it's $24.06 out the door.
I bought it when Block's email offer came out for $37.40 with a Nov. 9 delivery.
It cost me $13.34 to go early....but my trial tax run is done.
Next year, I might wait until Cyber Monday....nah... :)
Last edited by hudson on Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
PowderDay9

Post by PowderDay9 »

On Amazon for deluxe, Fed + State ($22.49) is now less expensive than Fed Only ($24.97). Somebody at Amazon needs to coordinate these discounts better. The timing has been wacky this black friday season.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

PowderDay9 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:25 am On Amazon for deluxe, Fed + State ($22.49) is now less expensive than Fed Only ($24.97). Somebody at Amazon needs to coordinate these discounts better. The timing has been wacky this black friday season.
Believe it or not, there may be method to this madness. There are economists who construct models of how this kind of apparently incoherent pricing behavior increases profits.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

What is the best deal for fed+2 states?
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

MathIsMyWayr wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:39 am What is the best deal for fed+2 states?
buy fed+state, then have to buy 2nd state inside the program once its installed, like $20 for an extra state if I recall. There are prompts for it. Reply worth noting.