What are you getting your s/o for the holidays?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
OnBoard

What are you getting your s/o for the holidays?

Post by OnBoard »

With that time of year right around the corner, what will you be getting your significant other?

Yes, yes... bogleheads buy as needed throughout the year, however, let’s assume we find a place in our hearts to surprise the one we love most.
mancich

Re: What are you getting your s/o for the holidays?

Post by mancich »

DW wants an iPad with the Apple pencil. Supposedly she will she use this when taking notes for work. We'll see :D
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

I joke that I give my DW small unmarked bills. "The gift that keeps on giving!"

In reality, DW and I do not exchange gifts at all.

She will get me a gag gift for my birthday or Christmas (generally some chocolate left in the pantry, that I never open), and I don't get her anything. She feigns being upset (literally for 15 seconds) and gets over it when I threaten her to get her a gift she'll love for next year. She then pleads with me not to ever buy her anything. :D

It works for us :beer
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

a smartphone.

is that sexy?

done the jewelry thing but she doesnt really wear them. travel gifts no longer works this year - we still have a pending trip that she gifted me so its all in the backlog
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Nothing, we haven't exchanged gifts for 10+ years.
midareff

Post by midareff »

We gave up exchanging gifts and buying for special occasions quite a few years ago. When either of us need something we get it. ... no need to wait for a special date.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

midareff wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:38 am We gave up exchanging gifts and buying for special occasions quite a few years ago. When either of us need something we get it. ... no need to wait for a special date.
What about when you want something?
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

Ordered the better half a new laptop last week. Still thinking about a new iPhone and/or Apple Watch also.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Another year of membership to her jiu jitsu/muy thai/krav maga gym. We generally do not give each other gifts, but figured I'd get this out of the way and say "merry Christmas".
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

I tell him Merry Christmas for every package that arrives after my November birthday. Ordered some plumbing supplies last night!
NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

We don't do much gift giving. But I'll be driving him to his chemo treatments, and if he needs something to make life more comfortable because of side effects I'll get that for him.
nguy44

Post by nguy44 »

I am blessed to have a wife who has appreciated the large gifts I have given her over the years. Now that I am retired, she says the best gift I can give her is, for as long as possible, to stay healthy, fit, and "able to perform without the need for chemicals". :mrgreen: .

These days we both tend to use Amazon wish lists as a repository for "I might get this at some point, but no rush"... so I will just pick out a few things on it for her. and throw in a gift card or 2 to places she shops for her hobbies.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Things like iPads, Computers, etc. we normally buy ourselves when needed but we still take pleasure in gift exchange for the holiday. I usually get at least one piece of jewelry for her, maybe some perfume. Other small items related to her hobbies. She usually gets me some clothing and few other smaller items. Nothing too crazy expensive normally (we had a really good year and celebrated with more expensive items one year but that isn't the norm). For birthday's we might actually choose our own gifts and discuss (e.g. I sometimes will buy myself something new for my hobby for my birthday with the condition she doesn't spend money on anything - I like photography so it might be a new lens).
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

mw1739 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:57 am Ordered the better half a new laptop last week. Still thinking about a new iPhone and/or Apple Watch also.
Big spender! :wink: :sharebeer
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

We have way more stuff than we can ever use. If we do need something, we just order/buy it for ourselves when we need it. So gifts have become cooking each other a special favorite dinner, or arranging a special dinner party for the other person :( pre-covid).
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

We usually do a couple small items and one big item so we each have a few gifts to open under the tree. We really don't want/need anything but it's fun to have a couple gifts to open on Christmas morning. This year she wants an ultra-widescreen monitor for her home office to replace the aging dual monitor set up we currently have. Might get her the new iPhone 12 Pro as well because she loves taking pictures with her phone and the camera is just phenomenal.

For the past couple years I've want the Rolex Pepsi but so far Santa hasn't brought it yet...so I told her I'd settle for the new Xbox Series X. :beer
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

For us, it’s usually something we know the other wants, but is on the fence with whether or not they want to spend the money on it. Anywhere in the $50-200 range or so.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

My DW is getting the custom built greenhouse of her dreams (and my nightmares).....

She loves to garden and the previous (cheap) models have not held up in our climate.

The real gift is understanding that this will bring her joy, and my sweat equity in building it for her.

I am one of those guys with plenty of tools but not much practical experience. Plan is to hire a carpenter to help me out during construction and to insure the building is safe, secure and I don’t get injured. This will be my most ambitious project to date.

WoodSpinner
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

My default "I can't think of anything" gift is a book. Past years, it's typically something to support a hobby (e.g., Running belt, headphones, sous vide cooker).
ruhigste

Post by ruhigste »

My SO says "not covid". I'd settle for that too.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Jags4186 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:52 am
midareff wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:38 am We gave up exchanging gifts and buying for special occasions quite a few years ago. When either of us need something we get it. ... no need to wait for a special date.
Same thing .... she wants to build a new custom house on property she bought on the river in Chang Mai so she is. She is convinced we will use it as a vacation home. ... she is more convinced than I am, but happy wife.. you know the rest. I'd like to get a Patek, but then the Rolex I don't wear would have company on the auto winder, so I can't see owning another watch I know I won't wear more than a couple days a year..
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

We are replacing iPhone 6 generation devices with iPhone 12 Pro/Pro Max today and calling it our Christmas.

Cheers
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

A Cuisinart Food Processor. It is the gift that keeps on giving... for me anyway.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

midareff wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:02 am
Same thing .... she wants to build a new custom house on property she bought on the river in Chang Mai so she is. She is convinced we will use it as a vacation home. ... she is more convinced than I am, but happy wife.. you know the rest. I'd like to get a Patek, but then the Rolex I don't wear would have company on the auto winder, so I can't see owning another watch I know I won't wear more than a couple days a year..
The struggle is real. I'd really like to buy an Alarnia I328 but it would likely just sit parked next to the Altinel 65M.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

midareff wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:02 am
Which Patek? I'd love a Nautilus but that's about as impossible to find as they come.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

Dang, you bogleheads sound like a fun bunch. Might I encourage you to think thoughtfully and get some stocking stuffers for your loved one? The best present I ever got was my favorite book as a child to read to ours. It’s not how big the gift but how much thought you put into it. But that’s me.
khangaroo

Post by khangaroo »

She wants a night gown/robe so I'm trying to find one of those that meets my usually requirements for a company which includes local (if possible), socially responsible, environmentally friendly, and if it has some nice features/technology that separates it from its competitors - not sure this is possible with a robe but you never know! I also have an on-gong list of stocking stuffers.

So if anybody has any suggestions for night gowns/robes, I'm all ears!!
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

My DW and I have basically not given each other gifts for a number of years now. We are much more minimalistic than most people, and we believe that we have pretty much everything we need. When either of us wants something and the other believes it to be reasonable, we buy it then and don't wait until a holiday, birthday, etc.

We enjoy the Christmas season itself and giving gifts to others very much, but receiving surprise gifts from each other just doesn't interest us.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

Monsterflockster wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:42 am Dang, you bogleheads sound like a fun bunch. Might I encourage you to think thoughtfully and get some stocking stuffers for your loved one? The best present I ever got was my favorite book as a child to read to ours. It’s not how big the gift but how much thought you put into it. But that’s me.
We do think thoughtfully...unfortunately our thoughtful gifts are also expensive :oops: .
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

angelescrest wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:03 am
mw1739 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:57 am Ordered the better half a new laptop last week. Still thinking about a new iPhone and/or Apple Watch also.
Big spender! :wink: :sharebeer
Thankfully we can easily afford it all. The laptop has been needed for some time, but my frugalness pushed the purchase out until the Black Friday sales.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I am giving her another year of wedded bliss! :D

Yeah, that ain't gonna hack it!

So far three-pack of massages from a massage place she really likes.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

mmcmonster wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:41 am I joke that I give my DW small unmarked bills. "The gift that keeps on giving!"

In reality, DW and I do not exchange gifts at all.

She will get me a gag gift for my birthday or Christmas (generally some chocolate left in the pantry, that I never open), and I don't get her anything. She feigns being upset (literally for 15 seconds) and gets over it when I threaten her to get her a gift she'll love for next year. She then pleads with me not to ever buy her anything. :D

It works for us :beer
That's awesome! I don't understand why DW continues to commit to this travesty. She literally had me drive to the store to return what I got her. She didn't even bother to feign dislike. She just returned it and got something for the kids instead. Meanwhile, I'm about to throw out the gift she gave me. It's a complete waste of money on both sides but she insists on being disappointed and disappointing me. :oops:
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Apple Watch. She surprised me the other day by announcing she wanted one.

Most years we pick something we both would like together. Usually, it’s a dinner out or concert tickets. For the most part, we have all the stuff we need. This year, however, is...different.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
HeartinAK

Post by HeartinAK »

A custom made wooden cribbage board. Our family loves to play when the kids come home from school during the summer and holidays. It will be an upgrade from the cheapo we have had for years.
NerdicSkier

Post by NerdicSkier »

I bought DW a neck knife from MT knives - we have been hiking a lot together this year (covid) and I hope it's a way to commemorate the good times this year and build on more in the future.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

NerdicSkier wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:16 pm I bought DW a neck knife from MT knives - we have been hiking a lot together this year (covid) and I hope it's a way to commemorate the good times this year and build on more in the future.
Never heard of a neck knife. Pretty handy tool for being in the woods, for sure!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
NerdicSkier

Post by NerdicSkier »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:27 pm
Never heard of a neck knife. Pretty handy tool for being in the woods, for sure!

Broken Man 1999
We've been watching a thru-hiker "Dixie" on the Pacific Crest Trail on the you-tubes and she uses one, that is the inspiration.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

She has not told me yet what I am getting for her. I do have a pile of composted cow manure waiting for delivery so maybe that will count. :)
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

OnBoard wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:24 am With that time of year right around the corner, what will you be getting your significant other?
I"ll buy her something that will be a gift that keeps on giving... you can find some of them on amazon.com if you look hard enough.
musicmom

Post by musicmom »

@Khangaroo
This is one of my absolute all time favs.
Not expensive or fancy but really nice quality. The supima cotton is lightweight and feels like silk.
They used to have cool patterned ones; I have a lavendar paisley print.
Now I only see solids....

https://www.landsend.com/products/women ... aUQAvD_BwE
Topic Author
OnBoard

Post by OnBoard »

WoodSpinner wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:10 am My DW is getting the custom built greenhouse of her dreams (and my nightmares).....
:sharebeer
srt7

Post by srt7 »

365 coupons of my unconditional love for her so she can use it every single day for next year :wink:
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

runner3081 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:28 am Nothing, we haven't exchanged gifts for 10+ years.
+1. Although I did see the box for a new blender in the kitchen this morning so I guess that may count. 8-)
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

I just bought a direct drive trainer for my road bike as an early Christmas present. They're quiet but not cheap. And plan to get a Le Cruset cocette and I usually buy a case of wines that I enjoy for the winter. The better half of myself likes nice things. The other half is super frugal. So this time of year I make a point to live a little.
Boglegirl81

Post by Boglegirl81 »

I got my SO a massage gun for Xmas. He used one at a friend’s house and really liked it so I got the Sharper Image one at Costco for $99. I didn’t want to spend $300+ on one.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

We bought ourselves a couple of foldable kayaks that we can bring with us in our RV w/o having to fuss with our regular ones.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Books and clothes for sure. Stocking stuffers.

We are going to remodel a bathroom. That's our joint gift. Nothing says "Christmas" more than that.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

I am thinking a Ninja Foodie Air Fryer
matti

Post by matti »

My wife got a new (to her) car this fall, so I'm going to get her a set of Husky floor liners.
Crawdad

Post by Crawdad »

My dad used to tell everyone that he would knock $50 off what my mom owed him.
I have always thought that was hilarious and still do.
My wife, on the other hand, has yet to appreciate the humor.
Everything is a gift. Be thankful.