Sharkbite Fittings

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NavyIC3

Sharkbite Fittings

Post by NavyIC3 »

Thinking of adding an outside hose bib teeing off of the existing pex lines in my house. Anyone have any experience using sharkbite fittings? I want to use them because they do not require and tools to make up the fittings.
MikeWillRetire

Re: Sharkbite Fittings

Post by MikeWillRetire »

I have used them in about 5 places in my house over the last 10 years. So far, so good. My water line is made of cpvc.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

I recently replaced a sweat fit shutoff valve with a Sharkbite fitting. Used a pipe cutter tool to remove the old valve off the copper line. I did make use of the Sharkbite deburr and gauge tool, but they're not strictly required. Lots of videos on how to install.

So far so good, no leaks.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

NavyIC3 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:32 pm Thinking of adding an outside hose bib teeing off of the existing pex lines in my house. Anyone have any experience using sharkbite fittings? I want to use them because they do not require and tools to make up the fittings.
they seem to work fine.. however, they do act as a flow reducer vs the standard flow of the given pipe because they go inside of the pipe. copper /pvc/etc joints go on the outside of the pipe. For most situations this is perfectly fine, but its the major drawback.

The joints themselves work fine. i re-piped most of my house with them. i did have one leak, but it might have been operator error. After i pushed/pulled/torked on it, it seated better and hasn't leaked since. (and it leaked immediately, not after a month..so just like sweating copper joints, you should pressure test everything before sealing everything up.
shanefairman

Post by shanefairman »

They are a bit pricy vs standard sweat fittings.

I wouldn't use them for everything but they do have their place.

We have an outdoor wood boiler system with a secondary heat exchanger in our forced air system to pump the heat from the outdoor wood fired exchanger into our houses forced air system.

Unfortunately the wood heating exchanger adds considerable static pressure to our furnace blower in the summer for air conditioning.

We cut the pipes to the heat exchanger and added shark bit couplings. If the summer is abnormally warm we will use the shark bite disconnect tool to remove the coupling for better AC. Other years we don't bother and leave it in place. So far they have worked fine over many years in a quite hot application with constant water flow without leaking including disconnecting from time to time and reusing.
“You must not only think for yourself, you must plan for yourself, and you must plan ahead, and you must live up to these plans. You must know exactly what you want to do.” -George Carlin, Boston Rant
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

1. Be sure to make clean cuts then sqare and chamfer with the pex/sharkbite tool. Use a plastic / pex/pvc cutter.
2. optional, if groung contact wrap with silicone wrap
3. plan fittings and layout so theres no net side strain or twist or compound bending strain after joints are assembled
4. clean n dry
5. get the horseshoe shapedremoval tool so you can redo or undo your work as needed
6. pressure leak test before closing up

have used them on residential and commercial work for over 10 years.
Sharkbites are handy for service repair wor, temporary work, and permanent pex , etc, installs.
However, if the home oem is sweated copper, i would use that if you have the skills.
But if you dont, do clen work and the proper fittings n all will be fine as well.
j🌴
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Linkin06

Post by Linkin06 »

I've never done plumbing work until I decided to take on installing a home water softener. I spliced off my water line and used pex pipes with shark bite. results have been great and no leaks! it's a little bit more expensive, but the ease of install was well-worth it to me, since I had to be crammed under a tiny nook at one point. get a pipe cutter too.
silverlitegs

Post by silverlitegs »

NavyIC3 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:32 pm Thinking of adding an outside hose bib teeing off of the existing pex lines in my house. Anyone have any experience using sharkbite fittings? I want to use them because they do not require and tools to make up the fittings.
pex tools arent relatively expensive. I would get the pex fittings and follow how it has been done in your home
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

Pleased with my one experience with them, in a tight spot which would have otherwise involved torching right against a wall. As a bonus, the project was finished quicker than expected.
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

They have rubber gaskets/O-rings so I worry after a decade or two they can fail. I'd go with solder unless it is at an accessible place where you will need to do work in the future like branch to the water heater or something. I would definitely not seal one inside a wall.
jimmyq

Post by jimmyq »

I did a few jobs with them and had one leak, which I determined was caused by some strain on the joint. If you follow Sandtrap's advice carefully, you should be fine. But I personally decided I didn't want to take any risk and went back to old fashioned sweated joints.
diy60

Post by diy60 »

I've performed extensive DIY over the years. I've used Sharkbite for temporary fittings to re-establish functional use of the water lines during renovations and/or emergency repairs. I found them very useful for those purposes, though the fittings are considerably more expensive compared to conventional fittings. For the final permanent connections however I always use the appropriate PEX or copper sweated fittings. I guess I'm old school and enjoy the skill involved with flared or sweated connections. I'm probably somewhat biased; I know first hand at least 3 people that returned from vacation to about $30K worth of water damage due to failed water connections. Each case was caused by compression fitting failures.
justind769

Post by justind769 »

Not a plumber, but a DIYer. If connection to be sealed behind drywall, I'd recommend PEX-Type A with Uponor fittings.
fire5soon

Post by fire5soon »

They are fine as long as you have access to them. IOW do not seal them behind a wall as they can fail over time. I personally don't use them as I don't fully trust them. I've read some horror stories although some seem to love them.
A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do. - Bob Dylan
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

I installed about a dozen of them around the house. No issues. If you are installing on a old copper pipe that has been painted, be sure to sand it down to remove the paint. The tolerances on the shark bite fitting will be make it difficult to install properly if old paint is still on. Sand it down so the copper is shiny and new. Also deburr copper pipe with something like this

https://www.homedepot.com/p/304384086

Shark bite depth tool and a marker are also highly recommended.
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:10 pm
Sharkbites are handy for service repair wor, temporary work, and permanent pex , etc, installs.
However, if the home oem is sweated copper, i would use that if you have the skills.
But if you dont, do clen work and the proper fittings n all will be fine as well.
j🌴
My handyman used a couple Sharkbite fittings when I needed to replace a section of corroded copper pipe. But, frankly, as my house is “oem sweated copper,” the Sharkbites, if nothing else, look amateurish and I would be inclined to sweat copper fittings myself next time.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

marcwd wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:41 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:10 pm
j🌴
My handyman used a couple Sharkbite fittings when I needed to replace a section of corroded copper pipe. But, frankly, as my house is “oem sweated copper,” the Sharkbites, if nothing else, look amateurish and I would be inclined to sweat copper fittings myself next time.
+1
Agreed.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

I use Sharkbites only for quick repairs. And Amazon often has them cheaper than the big box stores.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

The last two professional plumbers I hired used Sharkbites (on my house). I said, "What? I thought plumbers didn't use Sharkbites!" Apparently they've come around, particularly in spots where it's not easy to use a torch. I've used them a lot, the last time in the exact situation as the OP. I put in an access panel, but not really because I was doubtful of the Sharkbite's longevity, but because I'm really bad at fixing sheetrock. The real beauty of Sharkbite is that you can un-install them relatively easily.

A few caveats:
1) They are designed to rotate after installation, so if you have a situation where you'd rather the joint doesn't rotate, you either don't use Sharkbite or you figure some way to hold the pipe in position.
2) I find the little plastic collar they sell for un-installing the Sharkbite to be useless. What I do is open an adjustable wrench to fit the pipe exactly, and press that against the un-install sleeve.
3) Do mark the pipe with a Sharpie at the proper depth. Otherwise there is no way to tell if you've inserted the pipe far enough into the Sharkbite, or it's just got grumpy on you part way in.