Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Da5id

Re: Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Post by Da5id »

willthrill81 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:00 am
tenkuky wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:22 am
willthrill81 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:15 pm
csmath wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:04 pmUnfortunately we are very low on toilet paper and I haven't seen any in the 2 stores we frequent for 2 weeks. :shock:
As soon as it was announced that our state (WA) was basically going to go back into semi-lockdown, all toilet paper was again cleaned out of the stores. Thankfully, we're stocked with about three months' supply.
I have never understood this: do emergencies/lockdowns ever last to the point that your stash of TP runs out (weeks, months)?
Or are people just afraid of having severe bouts of gastrointestinal disease consuming mountains of TP?
Shortages might last that long. We're going to use it up anyway, so there's no harm in us having ample supplies on hand. We do the same with food, hygiene products, and gasoline.
I'm the same. It may also have to do with having a large basement (for paper goods) and an extra basement freezer. Even non-COVID I generally stocked up on paper goods, because why not? Having a large stock of paper goods/fodo would be less attractive if I were living in an apartment with limited closet space. Our Costco (Boston area) had no TP or paper towels last week, had them (1 per customer) this week.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

Da5id wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:11 am
csmath wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:04 pmUnfortunately we are very low on toilet paper and I haven't seen any in the 2 stores we frequent for 2 weeks. :shock:
As soon as it was announced that our state (WA) was basically going to go back into semi-lockdown, all toilet paper was again cleaned out of the stores. Thankfully, we're stocked with about three months' supply.
I have never understood this: do emergencies/lockdowns ever last to the point that your stash of TP runs out (weeks, months)?
Or are people just afraid of having severe bouts of gastrointestinal disease consuming mountains of TP?
Shortages might last that long. We're going to use it up anyway, so there's no harm in us having ample supplies on hand. We do the same with food, hygiene products, and gasoline.
I'm the same. It may also have to do with having a large basement (for paper goods) and an extra basement freezer. Even non-COVID I generally stocked up on paper goods, because why not? Having a large stock of paper goods/fodo would be less attractive if I were living in an apartment with limited closet space. Our Costco (Boston area) had no TP or paper towels last week, had them (1 per customer) this week.
Guilty as charged. It's irrational. It's idiotic. It makes no sense. And we joined in. :oops: We haven't bought TP since March of this year. We have enough to last another 6 months or more. That's right, we hoarded 1 year's worth of TP and probably 2-3 years worth of paper towels. Whenever we saw an empty shelf with a few lonely TP packages, we picked it up. The good news? Not hoarding this go around.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

tenkuky wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:22 am I have never understood this: do emergencies/lockdowns ever last to the point that your stash of TP runs out (weeks, months)?
Given this pandemic represents the first lockdown for almost anybody alive, there is not really much experience from which to gauge the risk of running out. Combine that with a huge volume of hyperbole during the first wave, or at least we can safely call it that in hindsight, and the actual experience for many people of being unable to find goods like toilet paper during the first wave, and I'm not surprised at this.

I still hoped after the first wave that most people would have been keeping at least a slightly elevated supply on hand, but it seems like there was no shortage of people panic buying at the last moment.

It's just like snow in places that only get it a few times a year - it can be forecast for a week ahead of time, but a lot of people still wait until the flakes actually start falling to make sure they can get through a few days without a trip to the store.
peppers

Post by peppers »

Pssssst....you didn't hear this from me, (looks to the left and then to the right)...but word on the street...the next shortage....holiday fruit cake.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
McDougal

Post by McDougal »

The panic buying reminds me of the mid 70’s. Waiting in long lines on a day of the week based on your license plate number to buy a gallon or two of gasoline!
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I purchased 12 x 2oz jars of Ikura Keta Salmon Caviar (Roe). My online supplier if VitalChoice and the price after discounts was just over $10 per jar.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

peppers wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:03 pm Pssssst....you didn't hear this from me, (looks to the left and then to the right)...but word on the street...the next shortage....holiday fruit cake.
The good news is that the shelf life of fruit cake is about 27 years. Give or take a decade.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

VictoriaF wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:13 pm I purchased 12 x 2oz jars of Ikura Keta Salmon Caviar (Roe). My online supplier if VitalChoice and the price after discounts was just over $10 per jar.

Victoria
Love this stuff! I purchased 6 jars two weeks ago.
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

Just play Hank Williams Jr's "A Country Boy Will Survive" while packing in the goods. It will bring you luck and prosperity in the new year as black eyed peas and collard greens will be in short supply.
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

Da5id wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:11 am . . .
I bet Costco TP packages might make good footstools in the living room? And the paper-towel packages might work for end-tables.
Mouthwash bottles could be hung from the ceiling as accent pieces or something. And maybe use a chest freezer for a kitchen island?

Before our current just-in-time supply lifestyle (which seems to be turning into not-quite-in-time!), folks often stockpiled supplies for the winter season, didn't they?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

mmmodem wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:38 amWe haven't bought TP since March of this year....
I bought a pack of 12 rolls of TP back in March. Today I noticed that I have used only 10 rolls
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

livesoft wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:20 pm
mmmodem wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:38 amWe haven't bought TP since March of this year....
I bought a pack of 12 rolls of TP back in March. Today I noticed that I have used only 10 rolls
You better stock up. :twisted: :twisted:
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Stinky wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:40 pm
peppers wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:03 pm Pssssst....you didn't hear this from me, (looks to the left and then to the right)...but word on the street...the next shortage....holiday fruit cake.
The good news is that the shelf life of fruit cake is about 27 years. Give or take a decade.
You beat me to it. My parents used to receive a couple every Christmas season about 50 years ago. They kept the tins but never the fruit cakes they contained. If I still had the fruit cakes, they would probably be as good today as they were then!

DW & I went to our local Costco (SE US) yesterday morning. I knew what we would find when almost everybody we saw exiting had a package of Kirkland TP & Kirkland paper towels. Yep, that was the only brand of either available and both were flying off the shelves. DW likes their paper towels so we got a pack. Even though we still have a couple of packs of Charmin at the house, I was going to grab another if they had them. They didn't and I was sorely tempted to grab a pack of Kirkland, but DW convinced me that I wouldn't like it. I hope I don't regret listening to her; she usually knows best. I would like to test drive one roll to see how it is, but I don't want to commit to a huge pack without knowing. Our Walmart didn't have Charmin available for pickup this morning either, but they did offer to substitute some other brand.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

mmmodem wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:38 am
Da5id wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:11 am

Guilty as charged. It's irrational. It's idiotic. It makes no sense. And we joined in. :oops: We haven't bought TP since March of this year. We have enough to last another 6 months or more. That's right, we hoarded 1 year's worth of TP and probably 2-3 years worth of paper towels. Whenever we saw an empty shelf with a few lonely TP packages, we picked it up. The good news? Not hoarding this go around.
I've always found it interesting that if someone owns a second home they are not hoarding houses. Have an emergency fund...not hoarding cash. But have enough food and supplies to see you through a major event...hoarder. Anyway, people have had at least 9 months to prepare for a second wave and any possible supply shortages and to prepare accordingly. No use pointing the finger at others.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

d18lover wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:56 am Working hard in essential front line job. Very little time to shop, out of TP. Switched to baby wipes. Why must people hoard?
We sent divers 80-90 feet deep into the wet well/raw sewage to search in complete darkness with their hands to find and identify the obstruction

Monster clog found in sewer system from thousands of pounds of flushable wipes

&&

People Are Using More Wipes Because Of Coronavirus, Clogging Sewers - March 27, 2020
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Stinky wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:40 pm
if you slice it thin, can it double as toilet paper? :D
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

There are MUCH more sanitary options than TP. I find the desperation for TP to boarder on insanity..maybe this is a good reminder of first world shortage problems. I get it though...the average American uses 140 rolls per year.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I saw an article in my newsfeed today that Kroger was offering antibody tests at their pharmacies for $25. Previously most of these tests were $100+. I was sick with flu like symptoms earlier in the year (before there was widespread testing) and thought I might have had Covid so I decided to get it for $25 today. I never had Covid according to the test (there are disclaimers in the results). So, it was the first time I was disappointed I hadn't had something. The test was more more for fun to know if I had the anti-bodies which may or may not make you fairly safe.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Carguy85 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:49 pm There are MUCH more sanitary options than TP. I find the desperation for TP to boarder on insanity..maybe this is a good reminder of first world shortage problems. I get it though...the average American uses 140 rolls per year.
"The Average American", as in per person? There is no way our household of 4 uses 140 rolls of TP a year.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Carguy85 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:49 pm I get it though...the average American uses 140 rolls per year.
The average American uses a roll of toilet paper every three days?

Wow!
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
egrets

Post by egrets »

F150HD wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:27 pm
d18lover wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:56 am Working hard in essential front line job. Very little time to shop, out of TP. Switched to baby wipes. Why must people hoard?
We sent divers 80-90 feet deep into the wet well/raw sewage to search in complete darkness with their hands to find and identify the obstruction

Monster clog found in sewer system from thousands of pounds of flushable wipes

&&

People Are Using More Wipes Because Of Coronavirus, Clogging Sewers - March 27, 2020
Yeah, wipes are bad stuff. If you're desperate and have to use them, at least dispose of them in some way other than flushing them.
framus

Post by framus »

Does this mean that in order to be a "proper" Boglehead that I must now start counting how many rolls of toilet paper I use?
:sharebeer
-Framus
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

Stinky wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:20 pm
Carguy85 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:49 pm I get it though...the average American uses 140 rolls per year.
The average American uses a roll of toilet paper every three days?
That number is per capita production, not per capita home consumption.

It would include American and International visitor use at workplaces, restaurants, other public restrooms and lodging.

Not to mention the myriad of personal, business, government, etc... off label usage.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

Lol I think we need a boglehead survey!
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

Carguy85 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:49 pm There are MUCH more sanitary options than TP. I find the desperation for TP to boarder on insanity..maybe this is a good reminder of first world shortage problems. I get it though...the average American uses 140 rolls per year.
HOLY CRAP!!! :D :D

Sorry that's nuts... I personally buy about 1 pack... 12 rolls annually... It's mainly me that uses it and I used to go to work every day... so didn't need much...

I did order a 30 pack online back in May as it was easier to order it than find to rolls hidden in the back of a store some where... I have only used a 6pack out of it so far...
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

That number has been questioned. This piece says it's a math error based on using weight of production with the wrong weight per roll. They say it's 56 rolls per capita production for all uses, assuming the same production weight and more realistic weight per roll. But note link is to a site which has a definite political POV and the 140 was a by an environmental advocacy group, so probably best not to go further down the road of debating that number. It's probably better anyway to estimate own household consumption by past purchases; an average of total production per capita for all uses isn't that helpful even if accurate. Our rough level of use in a two person household is that a 30 pack from Costco lasts less than a year but not a lot less. Our household consumption IOW is far below the 56 per person per year production for all uses given in the link.
https://thefederalist.com/2019/03/02/no ... .%E2%80%9D
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Back in 2009 I was working in a related industry, and the industry survey pegged the US average consumption at bit under 24 rolls/yr.

I find it very hard to believe that, even with the current pandemic, consumption has gone up 5-6 fold. In short, I don't believe your 140/yr figure is correct.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

neilpilot wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:11 am
Back in 2009 I was working in a related industry, and the industry survey pegged the US average consumption at bit under 24 rolls/yr.

I find it very hard to believe that, even with the current pandemic, consumption has gone up 5-6 fold. In short, I don't believe your 140/yr figure is correct.
When people are stuck at home with their family the bathroom is a coveted private space.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

neilpilot wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:11 am

Two rolls per *month*?
And if this was in 2009, it was probably before the super-jumbo-mega-giga rolls.

I really find that very difficult to believe, at least if women were included.
The usage patterns can vary... a lot.

How did the survey results match sales records?

Has anyone tried to determine approximately how much "consumer type" TP usage has increased with the new WFH (work from home) patterns?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

I’ve seen several figures that vary wildly from each other. A few searches came up with even higher figures than 140...seemed pretty hard to believe a person uses a roll not quite every 3 days. I honestly have no idea what to think of the accuracy of the numbers..certainly could be environmentalist groups behind some of the higher numbers.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

JackoC wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:07 am That number has been questioned. This piece says it's a math error based on using weight of production with the wrong weight per roll. They say it's 56 rolls per capita production for all uses, assuming the same production weight and more realistic weight per roll. But note link is to a site which has a definite political POV and the 140 was a by an environmental advocacy group, so probably best not to go further down the road of debating that number. It's probably better anyway to estimate own household consumption by past purchases; an average of total production per capita for all uses isn't that helpful even if accurate. Our rough level of use in a two person household is that a 30 pack from Costco lasts less than a year but not a lot less. Our household consumption IOW is far below the 56 per person per year production for all uses given in the link.
considering many have been working from home for a good portion of this year, that data would probably be biased as at home more = more home restroom use (more TP) as you're not at work using the restroom there.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

This thread must be preserved for posterity. It's fascinating to read through the posts from early February to present and noting how quickly attitudes shifted.

For our part, we started accumulating items with long shelf life like rice, dried beans, oatmeal, protein bars, etc. We could last a couple of weeks without groceries other than milk for the toddler. Luckily, we are on a weekly delivery schedule from a dairy company and a farm co-op, so plenty of fresh dairy and produce to go with our rice and beans. We've enjoyed it so much we'll probably continue after the pandemic. I hope to never visit the grocery store ever again.
Last edited by KyleAAA on Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I bought more yeast - but only because I actually needed yeast.

If supplies run thin, I have quite a bit of yeast in the freezer. (Given to me by a friend who bought a large brick of yeast from Costco. It's far more than she could ever use and gave me part of it.)

Update: Clarified that I didn't get the whole brick of yeast.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

I’m certainly different than most posters in this thread. I do nothing different than I normally would. I buy groceries and household supplies at the exact amount as my family needs for the week. My focus is on getting whole food instead of processed food. I never had any supplies issue since March. The quality of whole food takes priority than the perceived scare of running out of food.

Sure TP stocks and meat stocks run low at times, but I didn’t have a hard time get them when needed.

To each his own.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

H-Town wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:01 pm I’m certainly different than most posters in this thread. I do nothing different than I normally would. I buy groceries and household supplies at the exact amount as my family needs for the week. My focus is on getting whole food instead of processed food. I never had any supplies issue since March. The quality of whole food takes priority than the perceived scare of running out of food.

Sure TP stocks and meat stocks run low at times, but I didn’t have a hard time get them when needed.

To each his own.
What is your plan if you and your family find yourself ill or quarantining? Do you have enough for 2-3 weeks? If not, do you have someone will bring everything you need to your doorstep?

Glad you have not had a hard time getting what you needed. But there really have been times when daily use items have been extremely hard to get for weeks at a time.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Katietsu wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:03 pm
H-Town wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:01 pm I’m certainly different than most posters in this thread. I do nothing different than I normally would. I buy groceries and household supplies at the exact amount as my family needs for the week. My focus is on getting whole food instead of processed food. I never had any supplies issue since March. The quality of whole food takes priority than the perceived scare of running out of food.

To each his own.
What is your plan if you and your family find yourself ill or quarantining? Do you have enough for 2-3 weeks? If not, do you have someone will bring everything you need to your doorstep?

Glad you have not had a hard time getting what you needed. But there really have been times when daily use items have been extremely hard to get for weeks at a time.
We have plan in place if one or all of us got sick. A groceries chain here has delivery service. There are also food delivery service if we don’t feel up for cooking. My parents, and my sibling live 10 minutes away.

My priority has always been our health. Hoarding highly processed food is against my goal.
diy60

Post by diy60 »

McDougal wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:09 pm The panic buying reminds me of the mid 70’s. Waiting in long lines on a day of the week based on your license plate number to buy a gallon or two of gasoline!
I'll go one better. I remember working 2nd shift, and after work parking my car in a gas station queue extending out into the street, walking to the apt for a few hours of sleep, and then going back to inch the car forward for my gasoline.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

During the summer we brought a 8 Cu Ft freezer, it make preparing a lot easier. Worst to worst we could skip grocery shopping for few weeks.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

H-Town wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:34 pm My priority has always been our health. Hoarding highly processed food is against my goal.
Non-perishable food does not mean highly processed or unhealthy. It's not necessary to assume anyone talking about preparedness wants to survive off of Twinkies, soda pop, and nachos.

Also, the title of the thread does not mean hoarding. That is how some people respond, but there has been a wide variety of actions discussed.

Personally, we keep a significant supply of non-perishable, frozen, or naturally longer lasting foods on hand all the time, because we live at the edge of the city. Some of the past major natural disasters in the US have shown it can be several days before any emergency resources at all reach most people, and it can be weeks before mobility and supplies return to normal in rural areas.

Keeping a larger stock on hand and habitually rotating through it also saves us a little bit of money due to buying in larger quantities, and we find it convenient to focus our regular shopping trips on the perishable items, and restock the longer lasting items less frequently.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

H-Town wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:34 pm My priority has always been our health. Hoarding highly processed food is against my goal.
My “around the perimeter” shopping at the grocery seems to always be stocked as usual.... there have been times when the fresh meat had been limited... although I prefer frozen bagged chicken. All bets are off with stuff in the center isles... maybe I’m a food snob but it puts a smirk on my face when I see carts full of pop, cookies, and chips...ah the necessities..Lol.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

iamlucky13 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:51 am Non-perishable food does not mean highly processed or unhealthy.
Correct. We laid in an extra supply of rice, dried beans, lentils and a few other things that are easy to store and things we will always use.

Generally, thinks have not been in short supply but there have been times when we had to make some different choices. During the season, fresh fish and crabs were available locally -- the watermen continued to work since their workboats are essentially self-quarantining.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

There are videos on youtube showing how to make a manual water cleaners. Also check Amazon for same. I bought one and it works well.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

F150HD wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:46 am
JackoC wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:07 am That number has been questioned. This piece says it's a math error based on using weight of production with the wrong weight per roll. They say it's 56 rolls per capita production for all uses, assuming the same production weight and more realistic weight per roll. But note link is to a site which has a definite political POV and the 140 was a by an environmental advocacy group, so probably best not to go further down the road of debating that number. It's probably better anyway to estimate own household consumption by past purchases; an average of total production per capita for all uses isn't that helpful even if accurate. Our rough level of use in a two person household is that a 30 pack from Costco lasts less than a year but not a lot less. Our household consumption IOW is far below the 56 per person per year production for all uses given in the link.
considering many have been working from home for a good portion of this year, that data would probably be biased as at home more = more home restroom use (more TP) as you're not at work using the restroom there.
OK that doesn't much apply to us but even if so I think I'd still use own consumption as at least a baseline, what's the plausible % increase from own previous consumption perhaps, not total production per person and especially since so many 'facts' like this repeated in media now turn out to be subject to possible agendas on further examination.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

iamlucky13 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:51 am
Non-perishable food does not mean highly processed or unhealthy. It's not necessary to assume anyone talking about preparedness wants to survive off of Twinkies, soda pop, and nachos.

Also, the title of the thread does not mean hoarding. That is how some people respond, but there has been a wide variety of actions discussed.

Personally, we keep a significant supply of non-perishable, frozen, or naturally longer lasting foods on hand all the time, because we live at the edge of the city. Some of the past major natural disasters in the US have shown it can be several days before any emergency resources at all reach most people, and it can be weeks before mobility and supplies return to normal in rural areas.

Keeping a larger stock on hand and habitually rotating through it also saves us a little bit of money due to buying in larger quantities, and we find it convenient to focus our regular shopping trips on the perishable items, and restock the longer lasting items less frequently.
Correct. The key here is the awareness of the difference and behavioral change when you stock the pantries and fridge with highly processed food. I prioritize protein: chicken, steak, pork, and variation of fish. Although I keep a stack of frozen chicken breast from Costco (like Carguy85 mentioned above), I rarely have to touch it. Mostly fresh protein from my local groceries stores. Like I said, I didn’t run into any shortage in the store since January. It’s larger Houston area if it gives any context.

I can see keeping a larger stock of nonperishable food would give some (or many) peace of mind. But it’s just that: giving you a peace of mind. Not necessarily practical, nor healthy in some cases. Unless the stock of nonperishable food are part of your healthy meal plans that you would normally consume.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Last year, according to the CDC, heart disease took 600k+ American lives. Cancer took another 400k+ lives. We need to have an overall plan to a dress public health crisis, as well as your well beings in particular. Often times, we forget to look at the bigger picture. I get that people fear of the unknowns. But we have come a long way since January. We know more than what we did.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Dottie57 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:17 am
There are videos on youtube showing how to make a manual water cleaners. Also check Amazon for same. I bought one and it works well.
Thanks. I've seen those, and they can be effective. We opted for the Sawyer Mini water filter, which is good for thousands of gallons of water. Hikers swear by them, and they're only $20.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
glock19

Post by glock19 »

Preparing for an emergency has become controversial as evidenced by "preparedness" is now considered hoarding. Lots of folks stocked up during the summer as items became plentiful. They are now considered hoarders, mostly by those who did not take time to purchase needed items..

Personally, I felt by buying items then I would not have to be around the large crowds scrambling for out of stock items today. Was that ethically wrong?

I am always amazed what happens when a major hurricane is scheduled for the coast. We see folks lined up at Home Depot and Lowes to buy survival items. Why not have them ahead of time? It's not like there will never be another disaster requiring plywood, batteries, generators, etc.

Sure, I've got lots of TP and paper towels. I will eventually use them, and the price keeps going up on all paper products. I kinda bought them at a market low, avoided dollar cost averaging, so it seems like the Boglehead Way.
Teague

Post by Teague »

H-Town wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:09 pm Last year, according to the CDC, heart disease took 600k+ American lives. Cancer took another 400k+ lives. We need to have an overall plan to a dress public health crisis, as well as your well beings in particular. Often times, we forget to look at the bigger picture. I get that people fear of the unknowns. But we have come a long way since January. We know more than what we did.
Great strides have been made in the per-capita rates of cancer and heart disease through screening, improved treatments, and prevention (lifestyle, statins, BP control and so on.) These efforts continue to produce significant results. The COVID virus incidence is even more easily modifiable (mask wearing, avoid gatherings.) Nobody has stopped addressing heart disease and cancer, those efforts continue. But compliance with very basic measures to control the virus remains poor for many people, for a range of reasons, some of which are rather incredible.

As far as my behavior for this current substantial wave, I am not really doing anything different. I think supply chains remain largely adapted to at least a degree and I do not foresee more than minor inconveniences. I still am running a somewhat higher than normal inventory of supplies from the spring, and continue to rotate through those.
Semper Augustus
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

Glock19,

How about your 9x19 ammo? Btw, most of my firearms were sold off long ago at a gun show and the few that weren’t were lost in a boating accident so I no longer have a need to worry about any of that stuff. :D
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Teague wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:46 pm
H-Town wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:09 pm Last year, according to the CDC, heart disease took 600k+ American lives. Cancer took another 400k+ lives. We need to have an overall plan to a dress public health crisis, as well as your well beings in particular. Often times, we forget to look at the bigger picture. I get that people fear of the unknowns. But we have come a long way since January. We know more than what we did.
Great strides have been made in the per-capita rates of cancer and heart disease through screening, improved treatments, and prevention (lifestyle, statins, BP control and so on.) These efforts continue to produce significant results. The COVID virus incidence is even more easily modifiable (mask wearing, avoid gatherings.) Nobody has stopped addressing heart disease and cancer, those efforts continue. But compliance with very basic measures to control the virus remains poor for many people, for a range of reasons, some of which are rather incredible.

As far as my behavior for this current substantial wave, I am not really doing anything different. I think supply chains remain largely adapted to at least a degree and I do not foresee more than minor inconveniences. I still am running a somewhat higher than normal inventory of supplies from the spring, and continue to rotate through those.
Good input. But I’d stop short at saying nobody has stopped addressing heart disease. I’m aware of my groceries basket as well as the baskets around me at the register line. People don’t give it priorities because this disease creeps up slowly. It takes years to abuse your body. But when people get into the bad habits and bad relationship with food and exercises, it’s very difficult to turn thing around.

I just want to point that out in hope that it would be helpful to someone to take a step up and evaluate. Especially people tend to stock up pantries and freezer in anticipating a “dark winter”. Pay attention to the food you purchase.