How do YOU make coffee?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
monkey_business

Re: How do YOU make coffee?

Post by monkey_business »

Burr grind freshly roasted beans. Pour over using a Kalita Wave at 202-205F with a gooseneck kettle using a 15:1 water to coffee ratio.
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

Burr grinder. Fresh grind every time.
Fresh roasted beans, light or medium, from local roaster. Central America, Ethiopia, Indonesia, etc.
Boil water, don't measure temperature or anything.
Pour over a Melitta paper filter, currently through a Bee House ceramic filter cone.
Don't weigh the beans or the water or anything. Just eyeball it.
That's it.
Personally, since I've gotten used to the flavor of fresh roasted, fresh ground beans, don't enjoy the flavor of pod coffee at all.
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

Let me preface what I’m about to say is I like to keep things simple and get value for my money. I also teach six sigma. Six sigma is the tools necessary to reduce process variation and do more with less. With that said, it never ceases to amaze me how people can take a relatively simple process like making coffee and make it more complicated. Heat up some water and pour it over a funnel with a filter-done. I can understand if you’re really a coffee aficionado how you may want to spend $2500 on a coffee maker but for the vast majority of us no way.
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Tattarrattat wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:53 pm Burr grinder. Fresh grind every time.
Fresh roasted beans, light or medium, from local roaster. Central America, Ethiopia, Indonesia, etc.
Boil water, don't measure temperature or anything.
Pour over a Melitta paper filter, currently through a Bee House ceramic filter cone.
Don't weigh the beans or the water or anything. Just eyeball it.
That's it.
Personally, since I've gotten used to the flavor of fresh roasted, fresh ground beans, don't enjoy the flavor of pod coffee at all.
Howdy

Eyeballing it is what makes it good. The built in variation always creates a new and enjoyable experience first thing in the morning!

Happy slurping

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid
intendi

Post by intendi »

Method: Pour over
Beans: Varies
Grinder: Fellow Ode
Kettle: Hario V60
Dripper: Bee House ceramic
Filter: Melita #4
GKSD

Post by GKSD »

Don't drink coffee but DW's coffee ritual is:

-Grind beans fresh every time. Beans from local coffee roasters (Monkey Bite)
-Brew only in Moka pot (Bialetti)
-Froth milk and add on top
houseofnine

Post by houseofnine »

Manual burr grinder and French press during the week. Chemex on the weekends. Some things are worth spending the extra time & money on. I can think of a few others...
bi0hazard

Post by bi0hazard »

Keurig. Perfect all the time. Why complicate the process. :beer
hdcd

Post by hdcd »

Roast my own beans in a Behmor roaster. Grind Rancilio grinder. Technivorm Moccamaster drip coffee. Sometimes will do Moka pot or French press.
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

Signed up for power reward program at local power company DWP. Received $150 Amazon reward e card. Bought Keurig coffeemaker and bought a bunch of K cups to make coffee. Boglehead way , it’s free! Every year will be getting power rebate for saving electricity.
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:50 am
TonyDAntonio wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:08 am To folks who burr grind, is there a huge difference vs a regular blade type of grinder? I pour over in a paper filter after years of French press.
Thanks.
Regular blade bean grinders also leave fine powder which turns in to gagging gunk in the bottom of the coffee cup. Aaargh!
Quality burrr grinders grind consistent particle sizes so less gagging gunk.

Since you pour over a coffee filter it might not matter as much because of the better filtration.

j :D
Thank you. I've recently gone back to a French press and have noticed the gunky residue at the bottom of each cup. I'll have to look again into burr grinders.
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

MostlyABogleHead wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:43 am After trying many coffee makers and gadgets over the years, I finally settled on Technivorm Moccamaster 59636 KBG after reading a suggestion in this thread. It’s a nice drip coffee machine and brings the best of the coffee flavors. Very happy with the purchase.

For coffee, I tried everything from cheap department coffee to local roaster. I am currently buying from a local roaster selling light roast Costa Rican coffee. I buy it ground in small quantities and use a bag in a week. At $20 for 12 ounce, it’s definitely a lifestyle creep, but I figured with shelter in place, one needs some indulgence to keep life moving.
Light roast (first crack) is the way to go. For me too. The oils are still contained within the bean and are only released upon grinding. Unbeatable :D
mesaverde

Post by mesaverde »

Great topic for savy investors and coffee drinkers :)
Every morning before going out for a 7-12 mile run I grind medium roast whole bean coffee, put it in a French press, add water from electric kettle, and add a little whole milk warmed in the microwave. I don't like to create trash and pay more for the convenience of using the premade capsules.

Favorites are
1. Costco house blend (whole bean medium roast) at 33 cents per ounce (roasted by Starbucks)
or
2. Trader Joe's medium roast (whole bean) at 36 cents per ounce.
"Learn from the past, live in the present, plan for the future"
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

I “was” a percolator man for many years.

Then I switched a Mr Coffee 4 cup maker....good tasting coffee.

Now I just bought a Cuisinart one cup with a regular 12 cup coffee maker too.

I really really like the taste of the one cup....it can make 6, 8 or 10 oz cups.

I can use regular coffee or use the pods...I like 8 o’clock coffee.

It’s convenient and very little clean up involved.

Never thought I would make this switch.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Keurig most days, I was gifted a Nespresso but find the pods to be a bit pricey.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio »

houseofnine wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:39 pm Manual burr grinder and French press during the week. Chemex on the weekends. Some things are worth spending the extra time & money on. I can think of a few others...
What manual burr grinder do you use? I only make one or two cups per day and manual grinding seems doable (and cheaper).

Thank you in advance.
The Electrician

Post by The Electrician »

Community dark roast in Bonavita coffee maker.
Big mug!
staustin

Post by staustin »

In our cupboard, the DW and I have a french press, two pour overs, a kettle and an italian stovetop expresso... Funny enough, we've always drifted back to the good ole 12 cup drip coffee maker. We do indulge in a more expensive coffee though; purchasing an organic, fair trade, french roasted coffee from Third Coast Coffee, a local roaster.
houseofnine

Post by houseofnine »

TonyDAntonio wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:56 am
houseofnine wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:39 pm Manual burr grinder and French press during the week. Chemex on the weekends. Some things are worth spending the extra time & money on. I can think of a few others...
What manual burr grinder do you use? I only make one or two cups per day and manual grinding seems doable (and cheaper).

Thank you in advance.
I use the Lido 2 from Orphan Espresso, so probably not the cheaper option. On the other hand, I’ve had it for several years and it’s been bulletproof.

https://www.oehandgrinders.com/OE-Manua ... s_c_1.html
avidlearner

Post by avidlearner »

For me its Keurig in the morning with reusable K-cup and afternoon coffee with Moka-pot. I recently started getting coffee beans from sprouts and grind them with a spice grinder.

Wife likes folgers coffee with Keurig.
windaar

Post by windaar »

Cafe Bustelo in the yellow can ($3.39 @ Target) made in a Cuisinart coffee maker with real half & half. Nothing fussy; strong real coffee.
Nobody knows nothing.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

HEB Half Cafe, Cuisinart 1o cup but I only make 4. Dash of cinnamon in the grounds. Add 1 Tbl butter, 1 TBL MCT oil and a splash of Carmel Pecan Skinny Syrup. Froth it with a $2.99 frother from Ikea. Bullet Proof Coffee!!
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

Calif Brown Bear: Raw, straight out of the bag. The whole bag of StarBucks. Do bears get a caffeine buzz?

Happened to my son a week ago. In downtown South lake Tahoe.

Along with the coffee, Banana Bread and Ginger Snap cookies. Son was only 75 feet away from the truck.
TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio »

houseofnine wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:24 pm
TonyDAntonio wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:56 am

Thank you in advance.
I use the Lido 2 from Orphan Espresso, so probably not the cheaper option. On the other hand, I’ve had it for several years and it’s been bulletproof.

https://www.oehandgrinders.com/OE-Manua ... s_c_1.html
Thank you
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Any way I can. I like to rotate around. And sometimes I decaffeinate myself for a while, so occasionally I have none at all for a week or two. It tastes so good when I get back to it. I like it black, but occasionally add milk or cream and sugar. A little cardamom. cinnamon, or cocoa a few times a year.

For brewed, I like the Melitta-style filter drip coffee. Been drinking that since high school, pour-over or automatic. For a while I had a defective burr grinder that only produced fine powder no matter what I did. I threw it away. Also, if you don't make coffee at home every day, the residue inside gets stale and ruins the coffee. The blade grinder is fine and is easily cleaned. With COVID-19 I work from home almost every day, so now I rarely have to clean it. I detect no difference vs burr grind, but I didn't have a very good baseline on that.

Sometimes I use pre-ground coffee. It's not as good but can be acceptable. A strong No to that French Market coffee with chicory - might as well brew with black peppercorns.

Instant is fine in a hurry. If you try many brands you may find one you like. O Organics is quite good, no off flavors. Starbucks Via is also good, though it contains extra finely ground regular coffee too, which leaves sediment (and you are drinking some of that).

I used to use K-pods at work, and bought a machine for home to use up the pods I took back home with me during the initial lockdown. I tried a bunch of pod coffees and found a few that I really like and are very consistent. I have no qualms about the pod machine. I will probably go back to it exclusively for a while after I finish my current beans. Convenience++.

I am tempted to experiment with a percolator. I think the problem with their use c.1950-1980 was poor quality beans, not enough beans, and too long a brew time. I bet it can be good.

I have tried the French Press but it never works well for me. Bland and boring or off-tasting and offensive. I have had good French press coffee at other people's houses. I've seen them make it. I can't imagine what I am doing differently.

If I am out and about and feeling particularly punky and tired, I will get a Starbucks Pike Place grande. It's about 400mg of caffeine and now we're cookin'! Vroom vroom!
sunshinebottom

Post by sunshinebottom »

Home roast weekly with a Behmor roaster, buy green beans from a local wholesaler for about $4-5 a pounds. Grind with a Caprisso burr grinder and make a double shot of espresso daily with a manual espresso press Flair espresso maker ($300). Great espresso. The key is brewing espresso with beans that were roasted within a week. Inexpensive and it's fun.
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

I order green beans and roast using a Gene Cafe roaster which I have used regularly for a few years now. I roast about a half pound at a time.

I grind the beans just before making the coffee using a pour over. Always drink it black. Delicious.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I home-roast weekly with a roaster I built myself for about $75. I grind with a Baratza Maestro Plus burr grinder, then brew in a French press. I drink it black. I buy my green beans online at the Green Coffee Buying Club.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Equitius

Post by Equitius »

dknightd

Post by dknightd »

I've used many methods over the years.
My current method:
Turn on electric kettle, first make sure it has water in it.
Go outside for morning nicotine fix.
1 spoon of instant Maxwell house in a cup
1 spoon of raw sugar in the same cup
Add boiling water and stir.
Add 3 ice cubes so it is cool enough to drink.
Not great coffee, but it works for me.
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Lalamimi wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:14 pm HEB Half Cafe, Cuisinart 1o cup but I only make 4. Dash of cinnamon in the grounds. Add 1 Tbl butter, 1 TBL MCT oil and a splash of Carmel Pecan Skinny Syrup. Froth it with a $2.99 frother from Ikea. Bullet Proof Coffee!!
Kudos for being able to drink BPC. I tried, repeatedly and with adjustments to the ratios, but I just could not do it. I intermittent fast without issues and eat many keto foods, but BPC just makes me feel awful.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
CycloRista

Post by CycloRista »

Method 1: Espresso/cappuccino machine
Beans: Local roaster who's been at it for 30+ years
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Machine: Expobar Office Lever Plus (approaching 8 years old)

On a daily basis I fire 2-3 double cappuccino's for myself (with 1% milk and no sugar) plus, 1 for my wife (with Califia Farms unsweetened coconut cream and almond milk).

Method 2:

AeroPress for use mostly when traveling or camping.
Boglesvolley

Post by Boglesvolley »

Home coffee program:
Mazzer grinder.
Single origin espresso beans that are bright and fruit-forward.
Acaia scale for precise brew ratio.
Custom La Marzocco GS3 that pulls the perfect shot
Controls are a bit like driving a Ferrari, beauty in capable hands, dangerous if not.
Put on a Rolling Stones vinyl record (Brian Jones era) and enjoy.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Ependytis wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:14 pm Let me preface what I’m about to say is I like to keep things simple and get value for my money. I also teach six sigma. Six sigma is the tools necessary to reduce process variation and do more with less. With that said, it never ceases to amaze me how people can take a relatively simple process like making coffee and make it more complicated. Heat up some water and pour it over a funnel with a filter-done. I can understand if you’re really a coffee aficionado how you may want to spend $2500 on a coffee maker but for the vast majority of us no way.
Some of us spend more to make the process more efficient. :) With my commercial grinder and brewer, I can have a fresh pot of perfectly-brewed coffee ready to drink exactly 4 minutes after I roll out of bed, with about 15 seconds total interaction by me.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Boglesvolley wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:20 pm Home coffee program:
Mazzer grinder.
Controls are a bit like driving a Ferrari, beauty in capable hands, dangerous if not.
Most interesting first post ever on this forum?

Welcome to Bogleheads!
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Nespresso brewed via capsules by a DeLonghi Pro. I call it a happiness maker. :D
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
FunnelCakeBob

Post by FunnelCakeBob »

Cold-brewed in a mason jar for 2-3 days. Strain the grounds with regular coffee filter and a funnel. Makes deliciously smooth, low-acid coffee even with generic beans.

It takes some planning to keep a steady supply but will keep in the fridge for several weeks.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

Boglesvolley wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:20 pm Home coffee program:
Mazzer grinder.
I salute you.

I make coffee the way god intended - with a lever (I don't have a picture, but this is close, just a different grinder):
Toons

Post by Toons »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:56 am
Toons wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:47 pm With a Chulux
:happy
https://www.amazon.com/CHULUX-Coffee-Si ... 738&sr=8-1
Do you use the pods or the coffee filter pod and roll fill your own?

j :happy
We use pods,no refill
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Soobs

Post by Soobs »

I've run the typical gambit on coffee making. Over the past two decades I've used a k-cup, french press, pour-over, percolator, and a variety of auto-drip machines. I still own a capresso conical grinder, but haven't used it in a long time. Time, priorities, and compromise have shifted me back to regular ole bags of ground coffee for an auto-drip machine. Presently I have the Cuisinart that Costco sells (mine is 2 years old).

I could go on some long diatribe about what type of bean or what type of brewer does the best job, but I really think the best cup of coffee is whatever you enjoy and sometimes the company you're having it with. On my own if I have a cup of instant coffee I can barely stand it; however, if I'm with my mother-in-law or when I had it with my late father it was somehow a fantastic drink. It was one of my favorite things to do with my dad in the morning when I visited and I can barely have a cup of instant without the flood of memories coming back from those mornings. Who would have thought a cheap low-grade instant coffee could do that?

Well anyway, I'm drifting off-topic. We've been bouncing between various Archer Farms (Target), Dunkin', and even Starbuck's varieties. Trader Joe's often has some good stuff too that won't break the bank. Nothing too fancy here these days. Just store brands and auto-drip. Happy caffeineing!
moneybags

Post by moneybags »

(Light) roast my own coffee with a Gene Cafe CBR101 and beans from Sweet Maria's in Oakland, CA
Grind with a Baratza Encore
Heat water with an OXO Adjustable Temperature Kettle to 200F
Pour it over a Hario V60 Metal Dripper size 02 with Hario V60 filters
And into a Fellow Stagg double-walled tasting glass

Love this set up and honestly never tire of making my own coffee. Enjoy making it as much or even more than I do drinking it!
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

Pour Nescafé into a cup with water and microwave it. Can’t be bothered with measuring anything. Add milk if too strong.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Soobs wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:55 pm I could go on some long diatribe about what type of bean or what type of brewer does the best job, but I really think the best cup of coffee is whatever you enjoy and sometimes the company you're having it with. On my own if I have a cup of instant coffee I can barely stand it; however, if I'm with my mother-in-law or when I had it with my late father it was somehow a fantastic drink. It was one of my favorite things to do with my dad in the morning when I visited and I can barely have a cup of instant without the flood of memories coming back from those mornings. Who would have thought a cheap low-grade instant coffee could do that?
Very true. When I graduated from college my Dad accompanied me 2000+ miles cross country in a little car to my new destination. We had either McDonalds or diner coffee each morning, filling a thermos to go as well. He's gone now but the memories live on.