[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
brokendirtdart

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by brokendirtdart »

On Amazon Prime--binge watched the first two seasons of Tin Star. The third/final season drops in December.

I really have no idea what it is about, but it is loosely related to Canada, England, cops, family, oil companies, shady pasts, and violence. It is really entertaining and every episode seems to have a sadness, omg wow, a what the heck???, and an amusing part.
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

Ted Lasso on Apple TV is excellent!
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Firemenot wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:46 pm Ted Lasso on Apple TV is excellent!
I looked into getting Apple TV just for that, but that’s a bit much for a show I’ve never seen anything more than a trailer of. Any idea if it will migrate to Amazon or Netflix or Sling or whatever?
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
blackcat allie

Post by blackcat allie »

Re-watching The Sopranos, which I think is one of the greatest artistic achievements of the 20th/21th centuries.

(Rest in power, James Gandolfini, who died too young)
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

“Anne with an E” on Netflix. Heartwarming, sweet and no mass murder. Watch it with the kids or grands.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

blackcat allie wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:37 pm Re-watching The Sopranos, which I think is one of the greatest artistic achievements of the 20th/21th centuries.

(Rest in power, James Gandolfini, who died too young)
Back before you could (re)stream things I bought the DVD set just so I could rewatch. I did so, once (so far?). I was glad to be able to revisit that world and all its inhabitants. Bada Bing!

And yes, Pine Barrens is my favorite episode. Chris and Paulie forced to endure each other is pure magic.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:59 pm
I looked into getting Apple TV just for that, but that’s a bit much for a show I’ve never seen anything more than a trailer of. Any idea if it will migrate to Amazon or Netflix or Sling or whatever?
I doubt Apple will allow their original content on other platforms. For All Mankind is excellent too on Apple TV. Ted Lasso is one of the more enjoyable series i’ve seen in years.
queso

Post by queso »

Firemenot wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:38 pm
I doubt Apple will allow their original content on other platforms. For All Mankind is excellent too on Apple TV.
Tehran as well.. Liked the Morning Show too.. We got a free year with an iPhone so are binging quickly. IMHO, so far their original content is better than Hulu or Prime but I know that is subjective. Got a free year of Disney+ too but can't find much to watch on it other than Hamilton and The Mandalorian. All are light-years behind Netflix (again, IMHO).
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Finished up "Good Lord Bird" on Showtime last night, the fictionalized story of John Brown from the novel of the same name. It was a good watch. Ethan Hawke as Brown was fantastic.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

queso wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:45 pm
I doubt Apple will allow their original content on other platforms. For All Mankind is excellent too on Apple TV.
Tehran as well.. Liked the Morning Show too.. We got a free year with an iPhone so are binging quickly. IMHO, so far their original content is better than Hulu or Prime but I know that is subjective. Got a free year of Disney+ too but can't find much to watch on it other than Hamilton and The Mandalorian. All are light-years behind Netflix (again, IMHO).
TA Da! Dawn breaks over Marblehead! I looked at DW’s new iPhone, and there’s an offer there. :D
queso

Post by queso »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:15 am
queso wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:45 pm
TA Da! Dawn breaks over Marblehead! I looked at DW’s new iPhone, and there’s an offer there. :D
Congrats! Enjoy the binge!
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Queens Gambit was good. As a chess fan, I can understand the "rapid play" look in the movie (they did mention time controls). However, the lack of draws was completely unrealistic, especially playing at master/grandmaster levels.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

The Manadalorian on Disney+.

The Crown on Netflix.

Both are very good.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We started the new season of The Crown, and were a bit disappointed.
The acting didn't seem quite as good as previous seasons, including a couple of key characters.
We put it on hold, but we will be back later.

In the meantime, we stumbled upon an Australian legal/police series, "Janet King".
We just finished Series 2, and there is one more to go (8 episodes each).

Very good!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:02 pm In the meantime, we stumbled upon an Australian legal/police series, "Janet King".
RM
Showing on what platform?

On another topic: We just started watching Netflix's Undercover, which has been holding our interest.
Blues

Post by Blues »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:02 pm We started the new season of The Crown, and were a bit disappointed.
The acting didn't seem quite as good as previous seasons, including a couple of key characters.

RM
Interesting...if anything, we both thought that there was some exemplary acting in this season. Goes to show you...
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Cruise wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:22 pm ...
On another topic: We just started watching Netflix's Undercover, which has been holding our interest.
Undercover is my candidate for a show poorly served by its trailer (yeah, honestly, pun was intended although I was going to deny it :D ). It looked like a nightmare, but the show is actually interesting. ... Book by its cover, etc.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Cruise wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:22 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:02 pm In the meantime, we stumbled upon an Australian legal/police series, "Janet King".
RM
Showing on what platform?
I think that we will watch it on Amazon Prime using our Acorn subscription, but I think there are other streaming services that carry it.
Blues

Post by Blues »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:55 pm
Undercover is my candidate for a show poorly served by its trailer (yeah, honestly, pun was intended although I was going to deny it :D ). It looked like a nightmare, but the show is actually interesting. ... Book by its cover, etc.
We watched "Undercover" when it first came out on Netflix and recently finished the second season. It's a good series but the middle to late part of season 2 really started stretching my ability to suspend reality. Still, worth watching, imho, despite the issues.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:02 pm We started the new season of The Crown, and were a bit disappointed.

In the meantime, we stumbled upon an Australian legal/police series, "Janet King".
We just finished Series 2, and there is one more to go (8 episodes each).

Very good!

RM
I felt the same way about S4 Crown. However, I stuck with it and it did get better IMO.
I liked Phillip, Margaret and, of course, Her Majesty. Diana, Charles and PM Thatcher not so much. Mrs. Thatcher was insufferable until the end when she showed a spark of humanity.

David Bowie fans, like me, will enjoy Margaret & beau’s quite unexpected dance to Let’s Dance. I think it’s near the beginning of Ep 7.
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:55 pm
I watched Series 1 a while ago, and thought it was quite good. (Was not influenced by any trailers.)

What I thought made it worthwhile was seeing how the two leads (police officers posing undercover as husband and wife) unintentionally made their fake relationship a bit too real. In a very funny way.

Will get around to Series 2 at some point.

Meanwhile, I was happy to see that Paramount TV has rerun Yellowstone S1. My YouTubeTV library had picked up S2 and S3 already, but I didn't want to watch unless I could start with Series 1.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Blacklist” season 7 on Netflix. Very good so far.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Blues

Post by Blues »

Suspected that I would find "Yellowstone" not for me, (actually us),...but I wasn't prepared for just how bad it is...

Every character is a caricature of a caricature. They'd have to move up a peg or two to be simply cookie cutter.

That was a half episode's worth of time, (including commercials), I'll never get back. :oops:
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:03 pm “Blacklist” season 7 on Netflix. Very good so far.
As amazing as James Spader is, this show passed the threshold of ridiculous a few seasons ago. For some reason I still watched season 7. The final episode is, ummm, "interesting".
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

“Trust”

The story of the kidnapping of Jean Paul Getty’s grandson in the early 1970s
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:33 am
abuss368 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:03 pm “Blacklist” season 7 on Netflix. Very good so far.
As amazing as James Spader is, this show passed the threshold of ridiculous a few seasons ago. For some reason I still watched season 7. The final episode is, ummm, "interesting".
Agree on Spader, but this show makes about as much sense as Lost.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Thanks. We have enjoy all seasons. There is always a story with Raymond Reddington and never a simple and easy answer. He insults everyone and cracks us up.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:33 am As amazing as James Spader is, this show passed the threshold of ridiculous a few seasons ago. For some reason I still watched season 7. The final episode is, ummm, "interesting".
+1

Once they dealt with all the entries on the Blacklist the show has become the Blanklist.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:39 am
stoptothink wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:33 am As amazing as James Spader is, this show passed the threshold of ridiculous a few seasons ago. For some reason I still watched season 7. The final episode is, ummm, "interesting".
+1

Once they dealt with all the entries on the Blacklist the show has become the Blanklist.
I don’t know. I still like it. I think a lot of television anymore just isn’t that great. If it was not for sports we probably would not even have the live tv option with Hulu.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

abuss368 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:55 am
Thanks. We have enjoy all seasons. There is always a story with Raymond Reddington and never a simple and easy answer. He insults everyone and cracks us up.
We are still enjoying it as well. I do agree that the show took a bad turn after the first few years as most shows seem to do. This one was less bad than most and not yet fatal imo.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Crown, season four, on Netflix. Every bit as good as the previous seasons.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Raised by wolves, hbo max. OK. Interesting concepts, which should make it more interesting, but the plot line lags a bit.

The Undoing. HBO. Both DW and I are liking this one so far.

Giri/Haji - Netflix. I really liked this series. Unlike anything I've seen. Made in UK, set in Japan and UK. At times had elements of Snatch, magnolia, and even a bit of pulp fiction. It kept evolving as the series moved forward. It shows up in a lot of the best on Netflix lists.
Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 »

The Queens Gambit is fabulous, my husband and I binged it in a weekend.

We've also really enjoyed The Great British Baking Show. I'm neither a fabulous baker nor a fan of any sort of reality television, but I found this show to be really lovely.

Love a lot of the Acorn shows on Amazon Prime. Wisting, Shetland, Line of Duty, Rebecca Martinsson, The Truth Will Out, and Hidden. All good.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

"Alone" on history.com - I like watching it less for the contest and more to learn what to do/not to do in survival situations.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

Did anyone watch the Dolly Parton Christmas Special that started on Netflix yesterday? I’d love to hear opinions.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

mak1277 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:02 am Finished up "Good Lord Bird" on Showtime last night, the fictionalized story of John Brown from the novel of the same name. It was a good watch. Ethan Hawke as Brown was fantastic.
Just finished this as well and loved it. Hawkes version of Brown was really, really good.

The Mandalorian is must see TV in my Star Wars addled mind :happy .As others have mentioned, Queens's Gambit and Ted Lasso were great. We really liked Lovecraft Country, its different from basically anything I've seen on TV. We also liked Tehran on AppleTV, which has been mentioned a couple of times.

We're now watching The Undoing, which is a murder mystery with Kicole Kidman and Hugh Grant on HBO Max. It's just ok IMO, we're only watching it now to see how it ends.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Dark - Season 2 - Netflix

About half through. Frustrating, confusing, but entertaining series. Frustrating in that it comes off as a bit contrived, with the characters continuing to make dire but vague pronouncements and seemingly just barely moving the plot forward one small bit at a time. Confusing at times because they jump around a lot and by the time you figure out the who/when of a particular scene, they quickly move on - and then you have to try and figure how the who/when all over again. Still - they draw you in and you want to find out what how it all ends.
A_Bond

Post by A_Bond »

I'm currently working my way through the Stargate franchise. I'm in the middle of the fourth season of Atlantis right now.
buy. hold. repeat.
Copper John

Post by Copper John »

Hunting ISIS - 6 episode documentary originally on the History Channel that is currently on Amazon Prime. This documentary predominantly follows 3 Americans who volunteer with the Kurdish YPG to fight ISIS. Other western volunteers in the documentary include volunteers from Italy, Norway and Sweeden. The bravery and courage of these men left me in awe.

The program had a camera crew embedded with them during combat in Iraq and Syria and also covers their perilous journey to get into Syria as well as their difficult attempts to reintegrate into their lives back home in the U.S.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Outback Ringer - Australian ABC Network.

Series about different groups of people who take on the hunting of feral bulls in some of the most remote Outback territory that you will see.
An extremely dangerous job due to the size and aggressiveness of these bulls along with having to deal with operating in difficult terrain, but there's a lot of money to be made if you catch enough of them for resale to the cattle stations.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Just finished the final two episodes of Janet King.

We both thought that the best episodes were the earlier ones, although they were all enjoyable.
We started noticing (and before the last two) that there were some "goofs", things we noticed like (but NOT exactly), "but no one would make a call like that right out there in the open", etc. IF the incident was crucial, it would have been relatively simple to "move the situation" or such. But sometimes, the entire little incident wasn't really needed at all...

It was almost like the writers were getting a bit sloppy.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:25 pm Just finished the final two episodes of Janet King.

We both thought that the best episodes were the earlier ones, although they were all enjoyable.
We started noticing (and before the last two) that there were some "goofs", things we noticed like (but NOT exactly), "but no one would make a call like that right out there in the open", etc. IF the incident was crucial, it would have been relatively simple to "move the situation" or such. But sometimes, the entire little incident wasn't really needed at all...

It was almost like the writers were getting a bit sloppy.

RM
I think there's an epidemic of writer sloppiness, or perhaps I just notice it because I watch more often and I've gotten savvy to their tricks.

"If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there." Ditto phone calls that are insufficiently careful, the car that doesn't start reliably in the first few scenes is bound to be pivotal to endangering someone when it doesn't start as they try to escape, etc.
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

Copper John wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:08 pm Hunting ISIS - 6 episode documentary originally on the History Channel that is currently on Amazon Prime. This documentary predominantly follows 3 Americans who volunteer with the Kurdish YPG to fight ISIS. Other western volunteers in the documentary include volunteers from Italy, Norway and Sweeden. The bravery and courage of these men left me in awe.

The program had a camera crew embedded with them during combat in Iraq and Syria and also covers their perilous journey to get into Syria as well as their difficult attempts to reintegrate into their lives back home in the U.S.
It's a decent series-I like the medics. Decent kids. The other dudes bumming around Syria were typically used as props to gather sympathy to the cause. Still dangerous, but they were often kept safe.
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

Binge watched Yellowstone. A Kevin Costner series set in Montana. I'm surprised I missed the earlier seasons and can't wait until season 4 gets released.

Fun for the whole family-except the kids. Horses, cowboys, cops, treachery, family drama, drugs, bombs, murder, corporate shenanigans, etc.
Blues

Post by Blues »

brokendirtdart wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:05 pm Binge watched Yellowstone. A Kevin Costner series set in Montana. I'm surprised I missed the earlier seasons and can't wait until season 4 gets released.

Fun for the whole family-except the kids. Horses, cowboys, cops, treachery, family drama, drugs, bombs, murder, corporate shenanigans, etc.
Couldn't make it through episode 1. (Let alone the commercials.) (And we otherwise enjoy all the categories you enumerated.)
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

Blues wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:47 pm
brokendirtdart wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:05 pm Binge watched Yellowstone. A Kevin Costner series set in Montana. I'm surprised I missed the earlier seasons and can't wait until season 4 gets released.

Couldn't make it through episode 1. (Let alone the commercials.) (And we otherwise enjoy all the categories you enumerated.)
Oh man---to each their own and I don't blame you. That show, like many, tends to bounce from exciting to bleh every other episode. If you were to give it another chance, bounce forward a few episodes and try it. Or since three seasons are out, try another season to look. It seems pretty well put together.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Started watching Schitts Creek on Netflix. Halfway through no season 3. It is fantastic and curb your enthusiasm funny. So many funny characters. Funniest show on television.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
james865

Post by james865 »

Recently had COVID so skimmed this thread for ideas to watch during my quarantine. Here’s my recent list:

The Last Dance - Netflix - fantastic, especially since I was a pre-teen obsessed with basketball during the era
Unorthodox - Netflix - very interesting show. Small investment since it’s only 4 episodes. Would recommend.
The Boys - Amazon - it was okay. Gory; some sexual innuendo that was unnecessary in my opinion.
Schitt’s Creek - Netflix. Funniest show I’ve watched in some time.
The Queen’s Gambit — currently 4/7 through and it’s fantastic so far.
Millennial

Post by Millennial »

Swimmer wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:19 pm Mrs. Thatcher was insufferable until the end when she showed a spark of humanity.
Some might consider this high praise for Gillian Anderson.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Outlander is excellent.