Arcade game vendor recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mak1277

Arcade game vendor recommendations

Post by mak1277 »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good vendor for arcade games? Looking to buy a Miss Pac Man / Galaga cocktail game for Christmas this year and want to find a good online retailer who will deliver with little or no hassle. Definitely NOT interested in anything used or Ebay.
wfrobinette

Re: Arcade game vendor recommendations

Post by wfrobinette »

mak1277 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:54 pm Does anyone have a recommendation for a good vendor for arcade games? Looking to buy a Miss Pac Man / Galaga cocktail game for Christmas this year and want to find a good online retailer who will deliver with little or no hassle. Definitely NOT interested in anything used or Ebay.
Pretty sure those aren't being made anymore. There is usually a company that sells restored units in most large cities.

Now there are options that allow you to have 100's of games in one single console and there are several places online that can help you out there. Again I'm sure there is a local place as well.

https://www.gameroomcity.com/collection ... NOEALw_wcB
Utvolfan1

Post by Utvolfan1 »

Check Amazon. I’m pretty sure those are available. Looking to buy a Star Wars arcade machine myself.
ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy »

Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde
Topic Author
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Sweet, thanks.
Topic Author
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

ThatGuy wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:51 am Build Your Own Arcade Controls
I was too lazy to google "arcade games" and instead posted here. No chance I would even consider building my own. :)
s2kduff

Post by s2kduff »

mak1277 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:54 pm Does anyone have a recommendation for a good vendor for arcade games? Looking to buy a Miss Pac Man / Galaga cocktail game for Christmas this year and want to find a good online retailer who will deliver with little or no hassle. Definitely NOT interested in anything used or Ebay.
Are you looking to purchase a new reproduction cocktail with a MAME emulator? These are your 60 in 1 machines that run classic '80s arcade games.
New reproductions use LCDs, but older reproductions still used CRTs. Or, are you looking for the official Namco 2000 release of Ms.Pac-Man/Galaga Class of 1981 cocktail?

I went through this journey (5) years ago and settled on a MAME 60 in 1 emulator in a cocktail format with a CRT and Galaga overlays.
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

mak1277 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:37 am
ThatGuy wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:51 am Build Your Own Arcade Controls
I was too lazy to google "arcade games" and instead posted here. No chance I would even consider building my own. :)
I built my own about 15 years ago. One of the best projects I ever worked on. But the planning and built out, etc, took about 400 hours.
Topic Author
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

s2kduff wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:46 pm
Are you looking to purchase a new reproduction cocktail with a MAME emulator? These are your 60 in 1 machines that run classic '80s arcade games.
New reproductions use LCDs, but older reproductions still used CRTs. Or, are you looking for the official Namco 2000 release of Ms.Pac-Man/Galaga Class of 1981 cocktail?

I went through this journey (5) years ago and settled on a MAME 60 in 1 emulator in a cocktail format with a CRT and Galaga overlays.
Until this week, I didn't realize I had a choice. I originally just assumed I'd get the official release, but now I suspect I'll be happier with the emulator
s2kduff

Post by s2kduff »

mak1277 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:11 pm

Until this week, I didn't realize I had a choice. I originally just assumed I'd get the official release, but now I suspect I'll be happier with the emulator
Just for reference, below is an eBay link to a new reproduction cocktail that looks like the one I bought locally on Craigslist. Main reason for purchase was I wanted a cocktail that played Galaga. The additional 59 games were a bonus. Paid $550 I believe.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MS-PACMAN- ... Swc1FfnD~J
Watty

Post by Watty »

+1

I built a MAME machine with my son when he was in high school and it was a good father and son project. That got him more interested in computers, beyond playing games, and he went on to get a Computer Science degree and is going great in his career. We built it from scratch using an old PC but they sell kits too.
bampf

Post by bampf »

I built one and had some fun. I did the mame thing for a bit. But, many of the games you want have to be downloaded and are perhaps pirated. I was pleasantly surprised with steam. Run it on a vanilla win10 box (micro) and hooked it to a nice lcd with a great cabinet and a tank stick set of controllers. Its pretty sweet. All in about 1K. More fun to build than to actually play however.
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

I bought one of the 150-in-one stand up arcades for our basement. It gets moderate use during parties, so probably worth it.

Mine doesn't include PacMan/MsPacMan, DigDug, or Galaga. From what I understand, the maker of those games doesn't license it to anyone else to put in other people's consoles. If you want to buy those games, you have to buy it from the only licensed manufacturer.

Would I buy a second one? Definitely not.

That being said, I probably would buy a reasonably priced full-size pinball machine. :D
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

I like the Ms Pac-Man with fast mode better than the standard speed. Would be interested in hearing and seeing if these are available
maple92

Post by maple92 »

Not sure if this meets what you are looking for but has most of the games you mentioned, new, from Costco at reasonable price---- galaga has a patch for the fire button ----- excellent and fun to play IMHO --- IMO very straightforward build.

https://www.costco.com/arcade-1up-pac-m ... 74219.html
Topic Author
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Someone below mentioned having to download on a MAME...is that standard? I have absolutely no interest in this machine being plugged into the internet. I want a completely standalone box.
bob991

Post by bob991 »

You don't have to continually update your mame setup. To keep mame and your rom-set up to date is a decent amount of work depending on your setup, I only do it every year or so. But you don't really have to, you can just keep it at whatever version is delivered with what you purchase and you'll be fine.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

bob991 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:06 am You don't have to continually update your mame setup. To keep mame and your rom-set up to date is a decent amount of work depending on your setup, I only do it every year or so. But you don't really have to, you can just keep it at whatever version is delivered with what you purchase and you'll be fine.
This happened to me. I updated my mame software and then 19XX stopped working. I had to revert back.
Last edited by lostdog on Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

bob991 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:06 am You don't have to continually update your mame setup. To keep mame and your rom-set up to date is a decent amount of work depending on your setup, I only do it every year or so. But you don't really have to, you can just keep it at whatever version is delivered with what you purchase and you'll be fine.
Thanks. I have no interest in this purchase requiring any time and thought going forward. I want to plug it in, press a button and play the games. Full stop.
plog

Post by plog »

I wouldn't buy online, I would buy local. Shipping a 1980's arcade console is expensive.

Go to laundromats, bars, sit-down pizza joints and ask the manager who owns their games and get their number. That guy will be able to get you a Ms. Pacman/Galaga game before christmas--that game is not a hard to find, he probably has 5 in his warehouse. Further, when/if it does break, you'll know a guy who can fix it.
Topic Author
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

plog wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:40 am I wouldn't buy online, I would buy local. Shipping a 1980's arcade console is expensive.

Go to laundromats, bars, sit-down pizza joints and ask the manager who owns their games and get their number. That guy will be able to get you a Ms. Pacman/Galaga game before christmas--that game is not a hard to find, he probably has 5 in his warehouse. Further, when/if it does break, you'll know a guy who can fix it.
There's a zero percent chance I'm going to start running around to bars and restaurants in this environment. I haven't even been inside a grocery store in 9 months.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

mmcmonster wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:25 pm I bought one of the 150-in-one stand up arcades for our basement. It gets moderate use during parties, so probably worth it.

Mine doesn't include PacMan/MsPacMan, DigDug, or Galaga. From what I understand, the maker of those games doesn't license it to anyone else to put in other people's consoles. If you want to buy those games, you have to buy it from the only licensed manufacturer.

That being said, I probably would buy a reasonably priced full-size pinball machine. :D
There's a vibrant market for both used and new pinball machines. The new ones are very complex. The old ones, not so much.

I own a Stern Star Trek I bought new a few years ago.
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

Arcade1up sells a commercially packaged cocktail table. 8 games including ms pacman and you can get ms Pac-Man artwork.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arcade1up- ... Id=6416407
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

I have basically an emulator for old nintendo games. I think they call it a Nintendo classic. It's honestly better than the Nintendo ever was and came with 25 free games, which Nintendo never did. I think it is cheaper today than the original nintendo was, and that's without even taking inflation into consideration. Given advances in technology, you could build an arcade game and most of the box could be completely empty.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Tribonian

Post by Tribonian »

investingdad wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:53 pm
mmcmonster wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:25 pm I bought one of the 150-in-one stand up arcades for our basement. It gets moderate use during parties, so probably worth it.

There's a vibrant market for both used and new pinball machines. The new ones are very complex. The old ones, not so much.

I own a Stern Star Trek I bought new a few years ago.
We’ve bought off the pinside.com marketplace and been happy. For a new machine, I’d try a local distributor.
s2kduff

Post by s2kduff »

mak1277 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:41 am

Someone below mentioned having to download on a MAME...is that standard? I have absolutely no interest in this machine being plugged into the internet. I want a completely standalone box.
There is a lot of misinformation being passed in this thread. Unfortunately, when that happens you either need to verify with your own research, or find someone that knows what they are talking about on the subject.

Any MAME cocktail you buy will be a standalone machine with the ROMs preinstalled and does not need internet connectivity and software updates to function. MAME will be as close as you can get in gameplay to the copyrighted version. If you buy from a reputable seller, the cocktail will look and function like an '80s table, functional coin doors too. There are also many online retailers that ship free, contrary to another post.

On the other end, there are many refurbishers of original full size and cocktail arcade games. So a refurbished Namco Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga cocktail is also an option.

I chose to buy a MAME cocktail locally and used. It worked out well for me.
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

s2kduff wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:46 pm

There is a lot of misinformation being passed in this thread. Unfortunately, when that happens you either need to verify with your own research, or find someone that knows what they are talking about on the subject.

Any MAME cocktail you buy will be a standalone machine with the ROMs preinstalled and does not need internet connectivity and software updates to function. MAME will be as close as you can get in gameplay to the copyrighted version. If you buy from a reputable seller, the cocktail will look and function like an '80s table, functional coin doors too. There are also many online retailers that ship free, contrary to another post.

On the other end, there are many refurbishers of original full size and cocktail arcade games. So a refurbished Namco Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga cocktail is also an option.

Reputable vendors don’t sell systems with ROMs.
s2kduff

Post by s2kduff »

teCh0010 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:55 pm

More misinformation. There are folks that want the original arcade game, and there are folks that want the look and feel of the original arcade games in a multicade format. Different folks, different requirements, and different price points. There are reputable and and disreputable sellers of both.
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

s2kduff wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:21 pm
teCh0010 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:55 pm

More misinformation. There are folks that want the original arcade game, and there are folks that want the look and feel of the original arcade games in a multicade format. Different folks, different requirements, and different price points. There are reputable and and disreputable sellers of both.
The misinformation here is you telling people that any MAME cabinet they buy will come with ROMS.

I’ve built two MAME cabs (first in 2003) and I’ve Investigated using recroom masters and xarcade. Hard to say any any MAME cabinet will come with ROMs when the two largest national brands don’t include ROMs.

I’m pretty familiar with what is out there. None of the reputable mainstream cabinet vendors are selling cabinets with roms, if you opt into the computer from them normally they include a front end and the emulators. You need to provide your own ROMs. Legit companies like recroom masters and xarcade don’t provide ROMs because they don’t want the legal exposure.

Are you finding these cabinets that come with mame roms on Etsy, Craigslist, and eBay?
Rex66

Post by Rex66 »

i dont disagree that there are issues but if you look at the link i mentioned above, there are companies selling with the ROMs located within the US.
Topic Author
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

OK, for those of you arguing, what am I getting with this one, for example?
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

mak1277 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:43 am
Based on the reviews, it looks legit.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

mak1277 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:43 am
I'd pay the extra $100 and get the one with 412 games.