Quicken 2017:I've blocked *.quicken.com; will I have trouble?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
MarkVH0518

Quicken 2017:I've blocked *.quicken.com; will I have trouble?

Post by MarkVH0518 »

I'm running Quicken 2017 and have no intention of changing (I refuse to call it upgrading) to the service model

I've added the following to my local hosts file essentially cutting my machine off from these domains.
127.0.0.1 services.quicken.com
127.0.0.1 download.quicken.com
127.0.0.1 www.quicken.com
FWIW: I used wireshark to determine these are the domains Q17 interrogates at startup.

Does any have evidence that I will get blocked from using my program and datafile?
At one time, I understood Q17 required a login to open the local datafile,
but I believe that limitation was removed after objection in the community.

FWIW: I am able to import prices via QImportP.cmd. I'm a 3fund portfolio, there's not much to import.
I'm also able to import my credit card transactions using ImportQIF.
I just want to continue to use my setup without change and don't really trust quicken with the recent updates to Q17.

I'm really not interested in whether anyone thinks I'm nuts or whether others will follow in my path.
I just want to know if it will work.

Thanks much,
Mark
testing321

Re: Quicken 2017:I've blocked *.quicken.com; will I have trouble?

Post by testing321 »

I blocked the Quicken program using Window's firewall and I haven't had any issues using Quicken 2016 which I got for $10.
Control panel, Windows Defender Firewall, Advanced settings, outbound rules, create a rule for Quicken.
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

I have had no problem. I am using Quicken 2016. When I moved to a new machine I had to upload a DLL file (the tweak to Windows 10 was not hard once I found a post telling me what to do.)

I am past active trading and just have laddered bonds and a few funds. Very few. So, updating prices monthly by hand is no problem. I have have the ability to import from a Morningstar CSV file too. I did that for a while, before I got out of equities in late 2019. It's not such a long list now. Mostly I-bonds, TIPS, EE bonds, and individual bonds.

But -EVERY SO OFTEN (about every 8th login), Quicken fails to launch. It closes, it tries again and it's fine. The error message is about reaching the Quicken server, which - of course - fails.

So, like you - I just keep going.
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

Interesting thread.

I've made my peace with the Quicken subscription, but I applaud your ingenuity.
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

testing321 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:59 pm I blocked the Quicken program using Window's firewall and I haven't had any issues using Quicken 2016 which I got for $10.
Control panel, Windows Defender Firewall, Advanced settings, outbound rules, create a rule for Quicken.
Thank you. I added this outbound rule, and Quicken started up just fine. This will likely solve my "1 out of 8" problem. Appreciate it!
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

MarkVH0518 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:08 pm I'm running Quicken 2017 and have no intention of changing (I refuse to call it upgrading) to the service model

I'm also able to import my credit card transactions using ImportQIF.
I only import transactions from a few bank and credit cards. I remember import .qif stopped working for my Quicken 2017. It seems that your found that blocking internet access to quicken.com allowed import of .qif files to be executed. My bank stopped exporting .qif formats for security reasons. I understand that .qfx files are required to go through your Quicken vault to import. When your financial institutions stop exporting in .qif format, you will may need to find another method of entering these transactions.
Topic Author
MarkVH0518

Post by MarkVH0518 »

chemocean wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:03 pm My bank stopped exporting .qif formats for security reasons. I understand that .qfx files are required to go through your Quicken vault to import. When your financial institutions stop exporting in .qif format, you will may need to find another method of entering these transactions.
Most of my banks export either OFX or QFX
QFX is *exactly* OFX with one are two Quicken specific tags.
These tags add value to no one except to Quicken to claim as proprietary.
ImportQIF does a high quality job of converting OFX/QFX into .qif that is imported to Q17.
ImportQIF is great!
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

MarkVH0518 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:08 pm I just want to know if it will work.
I don't believe your version of Quicken requires an internet connection to work so your changes to the hosts file should work, too.

NB: I quit using Quicken as of Dec 31, 2016.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

I just tried opening Quicken Deluxe subscription model while computer was disconnected from internet - only unplugged the Ethernet cable. No problems. This was on a Mac, not Windows machine.
Rocket science is not “rocket science” to a rocket scientist, just as personal finance is not “rocket science” to a Boglehead.