Article compares S&P 500 ETFs, Vanguard VOO wins

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
YRT70

Article compares S&P 500 ETFs, Vanguard VOO wins

Post by YRT70 »

Thought this was a pretty interesting and detailed analysis. The differences are small (of course) but for longer buy and hold periods it can matter somewhat.
Best-In-Class S&P 500 ETF: Look To Vanguard For Top Indexed Returns

Summary
  • Vanguard's leadership in indexing and ETFs helps to keep management expenses low and returns higher than competitors.
  • Great AUM size and low transaction costs, when companies are shuffled in the S&P 500 index, are noteworthy.
  • For the buy-and-hold crowd, especially in tax-deferred accounts, the Vanguard S&P 500 ETF is a top choice.
https://seekingalpha.com/article/439059 ... ed-returns
UpperNwGuy

Re: Article compares S&P 500 ETFs, Vanguard VOO wins

Post by UpperNwGuy »

All that data serves to confirm what every boglehead should already have known.

I'm surprised the author didn't include the Fidelity 500 mutual fund in his comparison instead of the T Rowe Price fund.
Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 »

It appears he is mostly looking at ETF’s only? I own FXAIX (Fidelity 500 index fund) expense ratio 0.015, AUM of 250 billion, has higher total return than VOO/VFIAX by a small margin over the last 10 years. Lifetime returns are not comparable because VFIAX has a different start date than FXAIX. Once you get to this level of expense and index tracking, the difference is very, very small. Interestingly, Morningstar gives VFIAX 5 star, yet the rank at 1,3, and 5 years is higher for FXAIX and the same at 10 years. Lipped ranks FXAIX in the top 4% and VFIAX in the top 6% the last 10 years. There would be a small advantage for VFIAX/VOO in taxable because of capital gains and a teeny advantage for FXAIX in tax deferred due to total return historically - likely secondary to its tiny expense ratio.

https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/fund- ... IX%2CVFIAX
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett
bluquark

Post by bluquark »

Ferdinand2014 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:11 pm Interestingly, Morningstar gives VFIAX 5 star, yet the rank at 1,3, and 5 years is higher for FXAIX and the same at 10 years.
Morningstar stars are arbitrary and meaningless for passive investments, as far as I can tell. I don't pay for Morningstar premium so I don't know what their analysts are thinking, but the ratings appear to be all over the place and don't match the criteria I use to pick and recommend funds (expense ratio, tracking error and bid/ask spread, mainly).
Last edited by bluquark on Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
70/30 portfolio | Equity: global market weight | Bonds: 20% long-term munis - 10% LEMB
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

It's amazing how much trash is published on the web these days.
bling

Post by bling »

the phrase "tracking error" doesn't appear once in the article...
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

The phrase "total stock market index fund" doesn't appear in the article, either.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

"VOO should be near the top of your list for consideration." Then what, pray, ought to be at the very top of the list?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

• For the buy-and-hold crowd, especially in tax-deferred accounts, the Vanguard S&P 500 ETF is a top choice.
This doesn't make sense to me, the article discusses the tax benefits of VOO and the ETF structure, which only applies to taxable accounts, not "tax-deferred accounts" which really don't have tax impacts unless/until the owner withdraws the money.
If an investor had a lower cost S&P 500 option that's not as efficiently tax-managed (i.e Fidelity's 500 index), that might be preferred in a tax-deferred account.
Am I missing something, or is this just a type-o on the authors part?
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
bluquark

Post by bluquark »

It sounds like the article author is part of the community of day traders who love to do options and margin trades on SPY. Prior to doing a minimum of research on VOO, he blindly assumed SPY must be popular because it's the best fund. Whereas in reality, it's an high-expense-ratio product -- almost never recommended or even brought up by Bogleheads -- but since it was among the first ETFs ever created, it continues to benefit from network effects to drive a low bid/ask spread.

SPY is the strange outlier, whereas VOO is just one member of an almost indistinguishable crowd of similar high-quality index funds.
70/30 portfolio | Equity: global market weight | Bonds: 20% long-term munis - 10% LEMB
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

Ferdinand2014 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:11 pm Interestingly, Morningstar gives VFIAX 5 star, yet the rank at 1,3, and 5 years is higher for FXAIX and the same at 10 years.
The reason for the star difference is that the Fidelity fund doesn't have a 10-year history for this share class, so the 10-year performance is not included in the star rating.
Lipped ranks FXAIX in the top 4% and VFIAX in the top 6% the last 10 years.
Lipper has a category of S&P 500 index funds, which emphasizes the small differences between them.
Wiki David Grabiner