Looking for a knife set

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
michaeljc70

Re: Looking for a knife set

Post by michaeljc70 »

Lee_WSP wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:48 pm
stoptothink wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:21 pm
Lee_WSP wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:27 am
jjface wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:38 pm What is everyone doing with all these fancy knives?
Spending less time sharpening them, enjoying cooking a little more, impress guests.
Literally never sharpened a knife in my life. Our $30 WalMart set going on ~10yrs. When it stops cutting well, I'll toss them and buy a new set. When it comes to kitchenware, I buy the cheapest thing that I think will do the job. Pretty sure I have never been disappointed.
I'm not going to tell you how to live your life. Whatever works for you :beer
Yep. We all have different priorities. Reminds me of the posts like "I have a 2003 Honda Civic and it gets me where I need to be. I cannot imagine why anyone would spend $xx,xxx on a yyyyy car. "

Honestly, I think a lot of people are that way with knives. I bet my parents have had the same knives that have never been sharpened for decades. People that are cooking enthusiasts are probably a different category than people that cook so they don't starve.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

I think the most important knife you could have is a Chef's knife and while there are PLENTY of GREAT options...I'm partial to the MAC MTH-80 8" Chef's knife after reading dozens of online reviews and couldn't be happier! Great knife...worth every penny.
Sam_78

Post by Sam_78 »

$90 mac chefs knife
$40 mac paring
$20 Victorinox bread

Seems to cover 95% of situations and MAC blades are going on 12 years. Have an old cleaver for chopping bones for the thanksgiving turkey stock.
Topic Author
OnBoard

Post by OnBoard »

Thank you all for all the feedback.

Looks like individually is the way to go. Anyone have any experience with MOSFiATA brand of knives? Specifically their chefs and boning knives?
Bogle7

Chef’s knife

Post by Bogle7 »

OnBoard wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:49 am experience with MOSFiATA brand of knives? Specifically their chefs and boning knives?
https://www.nothingbutknives.com/mosfia ... fe-review/
Made in China.
Soft steel.

The Victorinox 6 Inch Fibrox Pro Chef's Knife is a better knife for $20 on Amazon.

But read
https://www.isbanned.com/bestlist/best- ... fs-knives/
OnBoard wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:20 amBudget: <$300
Don't cheap out with a crappy Chinese $40 knife.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

OnBoard wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:49 am Thank you all for all the feedback.

Looks like individually is the way to go. Anyone have any experience with MOSFiATA brand of knives? Specifically their chefs and boning knives?
Junk. Knives like that are produced to a price point and often have to cut corners (pun intended)...

I'd recommend going with a tried-and-true brand such as J.A. Henckels, Wusthof, or a MAC. I'd rather buy once and cry once over buying something inferior multiple times.
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

We have a 15 year old Henckles pro block at home that was a wedding gift, it’s been great. I use a turn box style sharpener.

But at our beach condo we have a 30 dollar set of brightly colored cuisinart knives that are about two years old and I don’t really have any complaints about other than the chefs knife is a little light, doesn’t feel right when chopping.
Electron

Post by Electron »

I have two pocket knives with blades from Solingen Germany that continue to amaze me. They both hold a very fine edge that lasts a long time. I sharpen them with a standard Arkansas stone and then finish with a Surgical Black Hard Arkansas.

The type of steel used in making blades makes a big difference.
Electron
hightower

Post by hightower »

OnBoard wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:20 am Home chefs,

Looking for recommendations on a great quality kitchen knife set.

Budget: <$300

🙏
Skip the Knife "sets" Instead piece together a few good quality knives that you will actually use. The sets usually contain multiple knives that most home cooks will never have a need for. Not only that, but the quality of all those knives is questionable at best, unless you spend a lot. Instead, you can accomplish >90% of your cooking with just a single 8" chef's knife. The other 10% could be filled by a quality pairing knife, serrated/bread knife, and a boning knife. By only only 3-4 knives, you can afford to get higher quality ones. I would recommend checking out America's Test kitchen reviews for good options for the chef's knife. I use a Mercer 8" Chef's knife (a common knife recommended for chef's in cooking school), which is only like $40 and is excellent quality for the price. The rest of my knives are victorinox, highly recommended by ATK and are also excellent and very affordable. You don't need to spend more than probably $150 total on those 4 knives and you'll actually use them and they'll be better quality than most knife sets.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Workaholic wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:02 am ...
Junk. Knives like that are produced to a price point and often have to cut corners (pun intended)...

I'd recommend going with a tried-and-true brand such as J.A. Henckels, Wusthof, or a MAC. I'd rather buy once and cry once over buying something inferior multiple times.
Be aware that Henckels International knives are different from Henckels knives and made to sell for less.

I found and bought a Henckels International 8" chef knife at a thrift store. (Same time as I bought the 8" Gerber, above.)

I don't like it, doesn't cut straight, but only paid $2, so didn't lose much. Need to learn to work on blade to see if I can fix it. Until I do, my old 8" Case knife works much better.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

There's a reason why every single chef has moved away from German knives (Wustof, Heckels) and towards Japanese knives. Sorry to the previous posters, but Japanese knives are far superior.

Don't buy the over-priced Japanese knives (Shun, Miyabi) you find at big box stores. You're paying for their marketing budget. Instead, buy one from Chefknivestogo. They only sell the best and have a vibrant forum with kitchen knife fanatics.

Here's a fantastic Japanese knife that will out-perform any knife you find at Williams Sonoma yet is affordable.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkmgy21.html
Chrono Triggered

Post by Chrono Triggered »

Spend some time on kitchen knife forums. You'll find a wealth of information:

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/
https://www.bladeforums.com/

As mentioned earlier, you don't need a set. Start off with a great Chef's knife. Get something with a quality steel. The Tojiro DP is excellent if you're looking for an affordable priced gyuto (Japanese chef's knife).
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

jayjayc wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:55 pm There's a reason why every single chef has moved away from German knives (Wustof, Heckels) and towards Japanese knives. Sorry to the previous posters, but Japanese knives are far superior.
I'll play along: are there any chefs left who use German knives? and what exactly makes Japanese knives superior?
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

hunoraut wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:45 pm
jayjayc wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:55 pm There's a reason why every single chef has moved away from German knives (Wustof, Heckels) and towards Japanese knives. Sorry to the previous posters, but Japanese knives are far superior.
I'll play along: are there any chefs left who use German knives? and what exactly makes Japanese knives superior?
The premise is not true, but if you read any forums you'd think that's the case.

They are generally made from stamped or laser cut sheets and then cladding is applied making them thinner than a forged Wusthof or Henckels. Alternatively, they're hand hammered to be a bit thinner. HOWEVER, they are not really noticeably any thinner than stamped steel such as Victorinox.

The real difference is that you can get both a really thin knife and a super hard stainless steel. You can of course get a thin carbon steel knife in whatever style you want, but stainless is a little harder to forge so the san mai construction offers advantages there.

Do you need it to be super hard? No. But it is nice. Until it chips.

That's the .02 version.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

Japanese knives are usually forged from a harder, high-carbon steel with a straighter blade and a 15 degree bevel angle. They are made for straight cutting motion - when you cut straight down, you don't benefit from leverage, so you need a shallower bevel, which, in turn, requires a harder steel to maintain the edge.

German knives are curved and intended to be used with a rocking motion along the curve of the blade - this lets you use leverage in the cutting action, and requires a deeper (20 degree) angle on the bevel and a less brittle steel to maintain the edge.

This, of course, is a generality. In fact, the Germans make Japanese-style knives, and the Japanese make German-style knives. I own, and use, both, depending on the task. If I have to, for example, evenly slice a lot of carrots, the German knife is amazingly efficient. If I'm making precision ribbons of basil, or paper thin tomato slices, the Japanese knife is more suitable. It's important not to get locked into a single way of doing things.
bavie

Post by bavie »

Edited
Last edited by bavie on Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Afty

Post by Afty »

My understanding is that most modern kitchen knives, even German/European ones, use a 15-degree angle these days. Is that correct?
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Afty wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:59 am My understanding is that most modern kitchen knives, even German/European ones, use a 15-degree angle these days. Is that correct?
My favorite knife of all time, a (German) Messermeister, comes with a 15* edge.

But more importantly, the first time you resharpen a knife, it's edge is.....whatever you want it to be. And the cutting performance is also driven by how diligently you maintain the edge through honing.

Wife prefers a Global 5" knife because it's easier to handle for small duty jobs.

I also have a handmade single bevel deba knife bought from the oldest knife maker in Kyoto...by itself costs more than most knife sets, massive thing, real impressive to look at....but I don't get along with the ergonomics and handling at all.

Forget where the knife is from, and what chefs supposedly use (which also isn't true), and actually try them all in hand
Norsky19

Post by Norsky19 »

Cutco
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Norsky19 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:48 amCutco
Nope.
Way over priced.
Softer steel.
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

Bogle7 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:59 am
Norsky19 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:48 amCutco
Nope.
Way over priced.
Softer steel.
Yup. A well-meaning relative gave me a set for Christmas once. Even compared to an $8 chefs knife from a restaurant supply store, they're not good.
John88

Post by John88 »

hunoraut wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:44 am
Afty wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:59 am My understanding is that most modern kitchen knives, even German/European ones, use a 15-degree angle these days. Is that correct?
My favorite knife of all time, a (German) Messermeister, comes with a 15* edge.

But more importantly, the first time you resharpen a knife, it's edge is.....whatever you want it to be. And the cutting performance is also driven by how diligently you maintain the edge through honing.

Wife prefers a Global 5" knife because it's easier to handle for small duty jobs.

I also have a handmade single bevel deba knife bought from the oldest knife maker in Kyoto...by itself costs more than most knife sets, massive thing, real impressive to look at....but I don't get along with the ergonomics and handling at all.

Forget where the knife is from, and what chefs supposedly use (which also isn't true), and actually try them all in hand
I believe a Deba is usually intended to portion large cuts of whole fish like tuna. It is beefier to enable it to cut through bones. I guess you can also use it for tasks such as butterflying whole chickens or cutting through pork ribs.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Op

I've brought a three piece chef kit Henckels made in spain via ebay probably closeout or overstock and been pleased. Be aware there are China made Henkels, be sure to zoom close up on the "made in"

I also own Wusthof from mid 1980's from Germany

My dad worked in a resturant and I inherited his clevers, think of used on ebay
Last edited by retire2022 on Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Don't be afraid to buy a set, but realize you will probably find over time that some knives are more useful than others, particularly for your cooking, eating, and dishwashing styles. It helps if the block has some unfilled holes. You should curate your set for increasing utility and satisfaction as you go.

I bought a Victorinox Fibrox set years ago, and over time have added a second chef's knife, a smaller paring knife, and a cheese knife, and replaced the slicing knife with a sturdier and longer one. All different brands and style of handles, no longer a matching set. The scissors that came with it broke after a few years and were also replaced with a different brand.

second chef's knife - I sometimes don't do the dishes between meals but need to chop something at both
smaller paring knife - for delicate work like topping and coring strawberries
cheese knife - its ribbed plastic blade works better than flat-sided metal for soft cheese like brie
replaced the slicing knife - the sturdier one can still slice meat but can also cut hard squashes and melons. I still have the flimsier one and use it for roasts, if I didn't wash the other one yet.

Keep 'em sharp! It's a safety feature!
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

The angle is usually not advertised as there is very very little difference between a 15 and 20 degree angle (it's 2.5 degrees per side (try and visualize that on a hone)). Throw hand sharpening into the mix and you can't guarantee one or the other on every knife to begin with.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

op

of course if you were a celebrity or welled heeled cook you could get a Bob Kramer from the late Anthony Bourdain estate:

https://robbreport.com/food-drink/dinin ... n-2878851/

Being a chef and unbridled foodie, the priciest item turned out to be Bourdain’s custom chef’s knife, something Woolever predicted would happen before the auction went live. Crafted by knifemaker Bob Kramer, whom many consider one of the greatest smiths in America, the knife is forged from a blend of steel and meteorite with a polished wood handle. Bourdain purchased the knife from Kramer in 2016 for $5,000, but it managed to fetch more than 45 times that sum bringing in $231,250.

a collectible Pegasus with MC Escher is currently a bargain at 50K museum quality, not sure if I would use it to cook with :)

https://kramerknives.com/product/pegasus-buynow/
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

John88 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:23 pm I believe a Deba is usually intended to portion large cuts of whole fish like tuna. It is beefier to enable it to cut through bones. I guess you can also use it for tasks such as butterflying whole chickens or cutting through pork ribs.
Yes that's its raison d'etre. But because I grip knives by riding up on the bolster, I prefer using traditionally shaped western chefs knives, where the heel tapers smoothly into the tang. The wood handle on the deba doesnt work. But it is a beastly thing, house guests have mistaken it for an actual clever, and actually chopped bones with it. It made me die a little :annoyed
newguy123

Post by newguy123 »

I like good quality knives for cheap, I personally use Ikea's 365 series (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/ikea-365-3 ... gIXs_D_BwE)

Also I am a huge fan of the Kiwi knives from Thailand (almost all local Asian grocery market should have them), these knives are super sharp when new, but do dull easily. They are only 2-10 dollars per knife at the Asian grocery so pick up a new one when it dulls link to amazon for reference (https://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Brand-Stain ... B001FEJ0WO)
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

I’m not much of a cook, but I like the Sabatier brand shintoku knives on Amazon. I never sharpen them, they still cut sharp after many years of abuse. They sit loose in a drawer, bumping against everything else. Have survived my annual moves. Best $12 each I’ve ever spent on kitchen stuff.
sport

Post by sport »

Many of the posts in this thread suggest a variety of sharpening devices. Some are electric and there are whetstones if you want to do it by hand. However.....
Some time ago, a local kitchen supply store had a factory representative from Henkels give a seminar on the "care and feeding" of knives. This gentlemen advised that one should never use an abrasive sharpening device on good knives. His recommendation was to keep the knives sharp using a sharpening steel. His contention was that an abrasive device removes metal and puts on a new edge. A steel, OTOH, restores the edge and the amount of metal removal is extremely small, if any. He explained that using abrasive sharpening will eventually wear out the knives and they will need to be replaced. Using a steel, good knives will last a lifetime. The only caveat was that the knives have to be sharp to begin with and you have to keep them sharp using the steel. You cannot make a dull knife sharp with a steel. This is the way professional chefs and butchers keep their cutlery sharp.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

sport wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:52 pm Many of the posts in this thread suggest a variety of sharpening devices. Some are electric and there are whetstones if you want to do it by hand. However.....
Some time ago, a local kitchen supply store had a factory representative from Henkels give a seminar on the "care and feeding" of knives. This gentlemen advised that one should never use an abrasive sharpening device on good knives. His recommendation was to keep the knives sharp using a sharpening steel. His contention was that an abrasive device removes metal and puts on a new edge. A steel, OTOH, restores the edge and the amount of metal removal is extremely small, if any. He explained that using abrasive sharpening will eventually wear out the knives and they will need to be replaced. Using a steel, good knives will last a lifetime. The only caveat was that the knives have to be sharp to begin with and you have to keep them sharp using the steel. You cannot make a dull knife sharp with a steel. This is the way professional chefs and butchers keep their cutlery sharp.
A honing steel (it doesn't "sharpen") stands the edge up, but the edge itself may be pitted and jagged on the long axis of the blade. Removing metal to form a new edge is entirely the purpose of sharpening.

Knives have plenty of blade for repeated resharpening. It's like resurfacing a wood table. It's not going to dissolve
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Op

How about Bob Kramer Zwilling carbon steel versus Victorinox, America's Test Kitchen video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93ot0pgpaxQ

Here is a review on Bob Kramer Stainless, Carbon Steel and Damascus knives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76eB4IfKnJg
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Don't buy the over-priced Japanese knives (Shun, Miyabi) you find at big box stores. You're paying for their marketing budget. Instead, buy one from Chefknivestogo. They only sell the best and have a vibrant forum with kitchen knife fanatics.

Here's a fantastic Japanese knife that will out-perform any knife you find at Williams Sonoma yet is affordable.

I don't consider myself an knife expert but this vlogger on you tube gives an interesting opinion (19 minutes) on German, Japanese and Chinese knives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzQH7AHwu5Q
sport

Post by sport »

hunoraut wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:35 pm
sport wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:52 pm Many of the posts in this thread suggest a variety of sharpening devices. Some are electric and there are whetstones if you want to do it by hand. However.....
A honing steel (it doesn't "sharpen") stands the edge up, but the edge itself may be pitted and jagged on the long axis of the blade. Removing metal to form a new edge is entirely the purpose of sharpening.

Knives have plenty of blade for repeated resharpening. It's like resurfacing a wood table. It's not going to dissolve
As I explained above, a steel will not sharpen a dull knife. However, if you start with a sharp knife, you can/should keep it sharp using a steel. I use the steel before each use of my carving knife. It stays sharp. We do not let any of the knives get dull. I would never do anything with my good knives that would cause the edge to become "pitted or jagged".
Independent George

I think you either misunderstood him, or he explained it incorrectly, because that is not how knives or metal works. You are correct that a honing steel does not remove metal - what it does is straighten out the cutting edge after it folds over from extended use. This will extend the time that a knife is useable between sharpening, but it will still continually get duller and duller no matter how much you hone it. In fact, repeatedly folding and unfolding that edge will result in pieces breaking off exactly as you are trying to avoid. The only way to keep it truly sharp is with a whetstone and grinding a new edge to the blade - it unavoidable.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Lee_WSP wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:48 pm
stoptothink wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:21 pm
Lee_WSP wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:27 am
jjface wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:38 pm What is everyone doing with all these fancy knives?
Spending less time sharpening them, enjoying cooking a little more, impress guests.
Literally never sharpened a knife in my life. Our $30 WalMart set going on ~10yrs. When it stops cutting well, I'll toss them and buy a new set. When it comes to kitchenware, I buy the cheapest thing that I think will do the job. Pretty sure I have never been disappointed.
I'm not going to tell you how to live your life. Whatever works for you :beer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaqzrqHn2l8

Ryky review of sub $20 knives
kiwi123

Post by kiwi123 »

Go to SurLaTable and try a bunch of knives out. I've been using the Victorinox fibrox knives for years and every time i get the urge to go fancy, when i try the more expensive knives they don't feel as good. This include the fancy Bob Kramer knives - they're very good looking but didnt feel as good in my hand as the Victorinox. Chef knife (8"), a serrated bread knife and a small pairing knife are all you need (and the Chef knife is what i use 80% of the time).
Chip

Post by Chip »

Independent George wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:25 pm I think you either misunderstood him, or he explained it incorrectly, because that is not how knives or metal works. You are correct that a honing steel does not remove metal - what it does is straighten out the cutting edge after it folds over from extended use. This will extend the time that a knife is useable between sharpening, but it will still continually get duller and duller no matter how much you hone it. In fact, repeatedly folding and unfolding that edge will result in pieces breaking off exactly as you are trying to avoid. The only way to keep it truly sharp is with a whetstone and grinding a new edge to the blade - it unavoidable.
+1

I use a steel regularly to keep my daily use knives tuned up. About every 3 months or so a trip to the whetstone is required.

I can actually feel the rolled edge on a knife that needs to be steeled, by drawing my finger from the back of the blade down past the edge. My wife's knife is always rolled to the same side. It must be a function of her cutting motion. I can also feel the roll when using the steel -- there is more drag on the rolled side.
ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy »

Ceramic knives. Buy as you need more.

Santoku
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

kiwi123 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:06 pm Go to SurLaTable and try a bunch of knives out. I've been using the Victorinox fibrox knives for years and every time i get the urge to go fancy, when i try the more expensive knives they don't feel as good. This include the fancy Bob Kramer knives - they're very good looking but didnt feel as good in my hand as the Victorinox. Chef knife (8"), a serrated bread knife and a small pairing knife are all you need (and the Chef knife is what i use 80% of the time).
kiwi

thanks for the tip regarding SurLaTable, nine of the Tri State locations are listed Closed Permanently (I am sure due to Covid)

https://www.surlatable.com/stores-find

They have some knives on black friday sale.

Also https://www.cutleryandmore.com/sale-clearance

currently have sales as well.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Chip wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:00 am
Independent George wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:25 pm I think you either misunderstood him, or he explained it incorrectly, because that is not how knives or metal works. You are correct that a honing steel does not remove metal - what it does is straighten out the cutting edge after it folds over from extended use. This will extend the time that a knife is useable between sharpening, but it will still continually get duller and duller no matter how much you hone it. In fact, repeatedly folding and unfolding that edge will result in pieces breaking off exactly as you are trying to avoid. The only way to keep it truly sharp is with a whetstone and grinding a new edge to the blade - it unavoidable.
+1

I use a steel regularly to keep my daily use knives tuned up. About every 3 months or so a trip to the whetstone is required.

I can actually feel the rolled edge on a knife that needs to be steeled, by drawing my finger from the back of the blade down past the edge. My wife's knife is always rolled to the same side. It must be a function of her cutting motion. I can also feel the roll when using the steel -- there is more drag on the rolled side.
I liken sharpening knives and cooking using expensive knives either one has discretionary income or hobby or the love of Haute Cuisine similar to using a smart phone or expensive digital camera.

It depends on one's skills using a manual camera or a point and shoot. It is a personal decision, glad we live in a free society. Otherwise we could go back to flint stones, lol.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

all here is a list of steels used in knives, which could be of interest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_blade_materials
Bogle7

Start with the proper steel

Post by Bogle7 »

retire2022 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:21 pmall here is a list of steels used in knives, which could be of interest
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_blade_materials
OK. That is funny.
The OP wants to buy a knife set and you send him/her off the to manufacturing process.

"What time is it?"
"Here is how you build a clock."

BTW, the engineer in me loved the Wiki page.
retire2022

Re: Start with the proper steel

Post by retire2022 »

Bogle7 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:16 pm
OK. That is funny.
The OP wants to buy a knife set and you send him/her off the to manufacturing process.

"What time is it?"

Bogle7

If you actually go through all these threads, op's question was likely answered, nevertheless other posters brought up interesting discussion in regards to German steel versus Japanese.

What I discovered was Japanese steel hold edges longer without need for re-sharping, however their blades tend to be more brittle.

Which lead my research to the wiki page on steel.

here is a example what, why some folks should not buy a Japanese knife: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGbuHGRxMkE
Independent George

retire2022 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:50 pm
Bogle7 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:16 pm
OK. That is funny.

"What time is it?"

Bogle7

If you actually go through all these threads, op's question was likely answered, nevertheless other posters brought up interesting discussion in regards to German steel versus Japanese.

What I discovered was Japanese steel hold edges longer without need for re-sharping, however their blades tend to be more brittle.

Which lead my research to the wiki page on steel.

here is a example what, why some folks should not buy a Japanese knife: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGbuHGRxMkE
Oof. Some of those knives hurt to see.

While we're on wild tangents that still somehow relate to the OP, this video on the history of naval armor discusses ductility vs brittleness as material properties of iron & steel, and the advances in steel production that came about as we learned about it.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Independent George wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:47 pm
Oof. Some of those knives hurt to see.

While we're on wild tangents that still somehow relate to the OP, this video on the history of naval armor discusses ductility vs brittleness as material properties of iron & steel, and the advances in steel production that came about as we learned about it.
Independent George

check out this article on Bob Kramer

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2008/11/24/sharper

Btw I did order two Bob Kramer's Zwilling off the rack models it arrived the other day from https://www.cutleryandmore.com

I only live once, since I obtained the 2 comma club this year, I felt the urge to splurge.

Here is one knife made from the Mungsten bridge, talk about hardness:

https://www.cutleryandmore.com/zwilling ... fe-p135722

https://www1.zwilling.com/uk/en/series/ ... amast.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCngsten_Bridge
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

All I discovered this video 24 minutes on introduction to Japanese knives and the different types and purposes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDNNG9doFe4
GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

I agree with other posters to avoid buying a set, especially if price is a concern. Many sets will have lots of knives you will rarely use and the quality will be mediocre. You can get most cutting tasks done with a chef knife and paring knife. Even cutting soft bread and slicing meat can be done with a chef knife. If you eat a lot of crusty bread then add a serrated bread knife. If you cook a lot of roasts, a slicing knife will be lighter and thinner with a tip that is better shaped for stabbing and moving slices. But for starters, the 2 knives I first mentioned will go a long way.

Japanese knives are a joy to use. I have three. They are made from harder steel, that can be made thinner and ground to a more acute edge. This makes them lighter, and better at slicing and chopping with less force needed, and less tendency to wedge into food. They stay sharp longer. They are hard enough that you don't need to run a steel over them before use. They are less rugged, not suitable for hacking through bones, splitting frozen meat or using as a can opener (gasp). And yes, some traditional European makers are now producing blades that are harder and thinner than typical German knives, so you really need to read the specs.

Victorinox knives are great value, rugged and easy to sharpen for a great price. They are available in fibrox (plasticky) and rosewood handles. To kick it up a notch, look at entry level Japanese knives from suppliers like https://japanesechefsknife.com/ and https://www.chefknivestogo.com/. Brands like Fujiwara FKM and Tojiro DP are great entry level brands at reasonable prices, and MAC at a higher price and quality level.

For my own knives I have three Japanese Hattori FH knives from Japanese Chefs Knife (240 mm gyuto, 150 mm petty and 65 mm paring). They are amazingly light and sharp with beautiful quality and finishing. For lesser used knives I have rosewood handled Victorinox bread knife and boning knife. And a cheap Chinese carving knife and fork with sentimental value since my mom gave them to me when I was at university. And I have some cheap German style knives I bring out when guests are cooking, since they have an awful tendency to cut on china plates and use them for can openers.

Always remember the number one rule when using a knife: finish with the same number of fingers you started with. :D
kiwi123

Post by kiwi123 »

retire2022 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:09 pm
kiwi123 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:06 pm Go to SurLaTable and try a bunch of knives out. I've been using the Victorinox fibrox knives for years and every time i get the urge to go fancy, when i try the more expensive knives they don't feel as good. This include the fancy Bob Kramer knives - they're very good looking but didnt feel as good in my hand as the Victorinox. Chef knife (8"), a serrated bread knife and a small pairing knife are all you need (and the Chef knife is what i use 80% of the time).
kiwi

thanks for the tip regarding SurLaTable, nine of the Tri State locations are listed Closed Permanently (I am sure due to Covid)

Most of SurLaTable's "sale" prices aren't actually that good. You can often find them for the same price on Amazon.
kiwi123

Post by kiwi123 »

kiwi123 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:39 am
retire2022 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:09 pm
kiwi

Most of SurLaTable's "sale" prices aren't actually that good. You can often find them for the same price on Amazon.

If i had to buy a knife unseen off the internet, the victorinox chef knife is a no-brainer.