How to remove/clean iron stains from an acrylic tub

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hacksaw2025

How to remove/clean iron stains from an acrylic tub

Post by hacksaw2025 »

Hi Folks,
My home water is fed from a deep well. The water we receive is very high in iron. We do have a water filtration system that works fairly well, but over time we still get staining from the iron in the water. We recently had a new acrylic tub/shower unit installed, and we've had it for about 3 months and the stains are starting to appear. So, before I use something that may damage the tub finish, I thought I'd reach out to you folks to see if you had any suggestions for either a homemade solution or a retail product that works well, but won't damage the acrylic finish.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts and suggestions!
Last edited by hacksaw2025 on Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broken Man 1999

Re: How to remove/clean iron stains from an acrylic tube

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Since the tub is almost brand new, I would trust the answers from the company that made the tub over strangers on the internet.

The company might well have some cleaning agents they know are safe to the tub's finish that they recommend.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

no abrasives

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
sport

Re: How to remove/clean iron stains fro0m an acrylic tub

Post by sport »

You should correct the typo in your subject line. It should be "tub", not "tube".
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

CLR is safe on acrylic and removes Calcium, Lime and Rust well.
ByThePond

Post by ByThePond »

Bar Keepers Friend or another oxalic acid product. Be sure to the it dissolve before scrubbing or the grains might scratch.
oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard »

"The Works" Tub and shower cleaner in a spray bottle.... only one we found that did not require lots of elbow grease.
As a a side note, I looked into a few high end water treatment systems (green sand, and one that used a purple chemical), but we moved where we have municipal water. Don't miss the iron one bit!

Greg in West Mitten
IMO

Re: How to remove/clean iron stains from an acrylic tub

Post by IMO »

If you live in an area where people have pools, you can look at products that are designed to dissolve metal stains from surfaces and remove dissolved metals in water. As an example, Walmarts sells HTN Metal & Stain Defense.
kjsammy

Post by kjsammy »

In the past I tried everything made, even concoctions.
The one that works the best on my old cast iron tub is wet and forget shower and bathtub cleaner.
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

Check out a product called Iron Out. Used it on baseball pants for years to get red clay stains out. May work for you.
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

hacksaw2025 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:11 pm ... I thought I'd reach out to you folks to see if you had any suggestions for either a homemade solution ... that works well, but won't damage the acrylic finish.
Here's my recipe for my fiberglass shower/tub:
• Spray "cleaning" vinegar on the surface, and let it steep for a while.
• Soak a rag or sponge in vinegar. Squeeze out excess wetness.
• Spread baking soda on area to be cleaned.
• Gently rub surface with the rag or sponge.
• Rinse thoroughly. Enjoy the sparkle!

Notes: Cleaning vinegar is 20% stronger than plain white vinegar (5% vs 6% acid). There's also industrial strength (20%) vinegar that professionals use, and I have ultimate 30% vinegar in the house to tackle really heavy duty challenges, but these require protective cautions. Keep all vinegar off hardwood, metal and stone surfaces.
cheerfulcharlie

Post by cheerfulcharlie »

Housedoc wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:05 pm Check out a product called Iron Out.
This stuff works like magic on rust. The overflow condensate from my air conditioning unit flows into my tub at my apartment, but the line is rusting, so unsightly rust stains show up on my tub. Every so often, I pour this "Iron Out" white powder on the stains, and they magically disappear. I was skeptical at first, but it really works.
Ratfink71

Post by Ratfink71 »

I use a mixture of white vinegar and a couple of tablespoons of dawn. It work great and the vinegar smell will go away in a day or two. :P