IRS is making progress in mail

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
egrets

IRS is making progress in mail

Post by egrets »

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/irs-h ... eid=yhoof2

If I read this correctly, in the last month they have gone from 2.5 million unprocessed returns to 1 million, and from 5.3 million unopened pieces of mail to 3 million. So they are making quite a lot of progress now.

This is an actionable post as it means people can read it instead of starting another thread on has the IRS processed my return :-)

My return, mailed in in March, has a transcript available, so it was opened but I don't know if it was processed, as I had my refund held for next year.
Broken Man 1999

Re: IRS is making progress in mail

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

All the more reason to owe a bit.

I do understand some filers overpay to obtain some paper savings bonds.

Me, I am bribing DW to convert all our paper bonds to electronic ones at Treasury Direct.

So much easier to manage and sell. Though I can't imagine selling our I-bonds early.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:49 pm All the more reason to owe a bit.
e-file and owe. Always if you can.

I e-filed in June. They processed it in 8 minutes.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
fabdog

Post by fabdog »

Me, I am bribing DW to convert all our paper bonds to electronic ones at Treasury Direct.

So much easier to manage and sell. Though I can't imagine selling our I-bonds early
Once you get the paper bonds from your tax return.... fill out the form and send them in... converted to electronic...

Mike
Broken Man 1999

jebmke wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:55 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:49 pm All the more reason to owe a bit.
e-file and owe. Always if you can.

I e-filed in June. They processed it in 8 minutes.
Our return is very simple, and I had planned to file paper. But then I found a really good deal for H&R Block, so I filed in early July, and charged my small amount with a rewards card.

Easy as could be.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Broken Man 1999

fabdog wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:07 pm

So much easier to manage and sell. Though I can't imagine selling our I-bonds early
Once you get the paper bonds from your tax return.... fill out the form and send them in... converted to electronic...

Mike
I really can't buy right now. Any dollar we spend other than SS must be removed from our tax-advantaged accounts, so not worth taking a tax hit to buy I-bonds.

Maybe it will make sense when we have to take RMDs in five years. We are just kids now, both 67.

Broken Man 1999
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

I e-filed before the pandemic, in February, and got my refund within a week. I expect next year's refund will be delayed, unless they manage to process the backlog until then, but I doubt it.
Asyouwish

Post by Asyouwish »

pasadena wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:32 pm I e-filed before the pandemic, in February, and got my refund within a week. I expect next year's refund will be delayed, unless they manage to process the backlog until then, but I doubt it.
An e-filed return with no problems should process through the computer with no human intervention. So unless the computers crash, there’s no reason why e-filed returns next year would be any different than normal.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

pasadena wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:32 pm I e-filed before the pandemic, in February, and got my refund within a week. I expect next year's refund will be delayed, unless they manage to process the backlog until then, but I doubt it.
if you e-file and do direct deposit, direct debit (or use Direct Pay or EFTPS) the returns will be processed quickly unless there is a flag that kicks out the return for review. Then, who knows? - even before the pandemic if you end up in the manual process it can take a long time.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Tracker968

Post by Tracker968 »

I just got my refund from an amended 2016 return that I filed in late March. They sent me a huge check in the mail. Not really happy about that. I thought I had given them my checking account info. I'll have to check my records.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Tracker968 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:52 pm I just got my refund from an amended 2016 return that I filed in late March. They sent me a huge check in the mail. Not really happy about that. I thought I had given them my checking account info. I'll have to check my records.
I believe that direct deposit is not available with amended returns file on paper. I don't know what will be available on e-filed amended returns since this is a new capability.
Asyouwish

Post by Asyouwish »

Tracker968 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:52 pm I just got my refund from an amended 2016 return that I filed in late March. They sent me a huge check in the mail. Not really happy about that. I thought I had given them my checking account info. I'll have to check my records.
Amended returns cannot do direct deposit. There is no place on the Form 1040X to even enter a routing bank number. From the 1040X instructions “ You will receive a check for any refund due to you. A refund on an amended return can’t be deposited directly to your bank account.”
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

I filed an amended return back in July. Still haven't gotten a reply.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

HawkeyePierce wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:22 pm I filed an amended return back in July. Still haven't gotten a reply.
If that's July 2020, and it's not an electronic 1040x, then you should check back in a few months. It's way too soon.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Hopefully they will get a lot of the backlog reduced before February when the 2020 returns start to flow. If they have to close or reduce activity at processing centers this winter it could get really backed up.
Duckinator

Post by Duckinator »

I mailed my parents 2016 return in January (too late to e-file) They got it as they cashed the check within days. In late August an agent recommended we mail a copy to the Kansas City office. Just two weeks ago we got a letter asking for more information and an AMT form. So there is now movement! yea!
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

neilpilot wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:41 pm
HawkeyePierce wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:22 pm I filed an amended return back in July. Still haven't gotten a reply.
If that's July 2020, and it's not an electronic 1040x, then you should check back in a few months. It's way too soon.
Thanks, good to know. My first time filing a 1040x.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

So much easier to manage and sell. Though I can't imagine selling our I-bonds early.

Broken Man 1999
Hope your bribe is something good.
Broken Man 1999

Dottie57 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:06 am

Broken Man 1999
Hope your bribe is something good.
Money is always agreeable!

Broken Man 1999