WIFI mesh - Orbi or Google

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Hoosier CPA

WIFI mesh - Orbi or Google

Post by Hoosier CPA »

I know there's a lot of WIFI threads but wondering if someone in the know could give me a specific recommendation.

I like buying at Costco due to return policies. We currently have a TP Link Deco M9 which has worked great but we've had trouble with it recently. Since I bought it this year at Costco, I'm planning to return it.

Looking at two different Mesh systems that are a bit pricey, but since we have 2 adults WFH and 3 kids soon to be on e-learning, I'm ok with it.

They have a google nest 4 pack, which is $400, but I've noticed they go on sale from time to time. https://www.costco.com/google-nest-wifi ... 17182.html

They also have a high end wifi 6 Orbi, which is currently knocked down to $430 from $500.

https://www.costco.com/netgear-orbi-who ... 33367.html

Seems like the Orbi has much better specs but I'd read many threads on here about people being happy with the Google system. I'm hesitant with Google due to privacy but mainly I want something that is plug and play (and I figure my work email is google so it's not like they don't have my info anyway). As far as usage is concerned, my wife and I work a decent amount of hours, and I'm consistently on video calls. Kids will have chromebooks on once school is e-learning, but it's fairly low data usage. We also stream netflix, youtube tv, etc., but not too much of that.

Thanks in advance...
Cruise

Re: WIFI mesh - Orbi or Google

Post by Cruise »

We have an earlier version of Orbi, which has worked out great for us. My wife is constantly in Zoom, and I am frequently on at the same time. All the while, we have five security cameras streaming to the cloud and two computers accessing non-video data.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

We've had an Orbi system for several years and it has worked flawlessly.
imsomeguy

Post by imsomeguy »

Been using Google WiFi for about 4 years and it's been great. Super easy setup
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

Have the Orbi system, and de-Googled my life about 5 years ago. Definitely bias away from them. The Orbi has been plug and play
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

Hoosier CPA wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:07 pm I know there's a lot of WIFI threads but wondering if someone in the know could give me a specific recommendation.

I like buying at Costco due to return policies. We currently have a TP Link Deco M9 which has worked great but we've had trouble with it recently. Since I bought it this year at Costco, I'm planning to return it.

Looking at two different Mesh systems that are a bit pricey, but since we have 2 adults WFH and 3 kids soon to be on e-learning, I'm ok with it.

They have a google nest 4 pack, which is $400, but I've noticed they go on sale from time to time. https://www.costco.com/google-nest-wifi ... 17182.html

They also have a high end wifi 6 Orbi, which is currently knocked down to $430 from $500.

https://www.costco.com/netgear-orbi-who ... 33367.html

Seems like the Orbi has much better specs but I'd read many threads on here about people being happy with the Google system. I'm hesitant with Google due to privacy but mainly I want something that is plug and play (and I figure my work email is google so it's not like they don't have my info anyway). As far as usage is concerned, my wife and I work a decent amount of hours, and I'm consistently on video calls. Kids will have chromebooks on once school is e-learning, but it's fairly low data usage. We also stream netflix, youtube tv, etc., but not too much of that.

Thanks in advance...
Google WiFi is $229 at my Costco. It not the Nest system... just “Google WiFi.” But better than $400
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

Two very good options. No right or wrong answer, whichever you choose will be fine. I have used Google for 5+ years, zero issue, love it.
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

Hoosier CPA wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:07 pm I know there's a lot of WIFI threads but wondering if someone in the know could give me a specific recommendation.

My recommendation is to attempt to understand why your existing system which was working great not long ago might now be giving you trouble. Was there a recent software update from the manufacturer? The hardware itself is highly unlikely to have developed problems.
firedup

Post by firedup »

I've used Google Wifi for a few years and had no problems. I would recommend it.

I will say that when setting it up, I benefited from watching some YouTube videos created by people a lot smarter than me who helped make my set up work flawlessly.

I'm sorry I don't remember the exact details, but I had to adjust a setting in my current AT&T router that made the Google Wifi work seamlessly. Had I not made that adjustment, I may have had some issues.
"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike" --Maya Angelou
Cpadave

Post by Cpadave »

Had orbi which worked great for a while then started to disconnect from internet frequently. Switched to google and for most part had no issues.
Topic Author
Hoosier CPA

Post by Hoosier CPA »

marcwd wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:42 pm

My recommendation is to attempt to understand why your existing system which was working great not long ago might now be giving you trouble. Was there a recent software update from the manufacturer? The hardware itself is highly unlikely to have developed problems.
I am going to see if I can figure it out and follow up with TP Link at least on Monday. It has worked flawlessly since March, but it's had a number of issues the past couple weeks. I can get by for work by plugging in to the ethernet port but the wireless has issues. Agree with what you are saying about the hardware.
Afty

Post by Afty »

I've used Google WiFi for 3.5 years, and it's been totally reliable and maintenance free. For the last several months we've had 4 people on video calls all day, and no problems at all.
Last edited by Afty on Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

Google store has sale on November 25.

But I know you prefer Costco.
hudson

Post by hudson »

I've been running google wifi...3 nodes... for one year. It replaced my router. It works through 2 brick walls. Two students have made it fine working from home. They do netflix and all of that stuff. I believe the new version is nest. Setup was almost idiot proof. I manage it on my iphone. I'd buy it again.
tedgeorge

Post by tedgeorge »

I’ve been burned by firmware updates before so that could have happened to you on your setup. Worth checking out to see if there is a setting or something that was flipped by the update. Or maybe you need to update.

One dumb thing that got me was a node went offline and the only way to tell was checking the app. It wasn’t obvious because your devices will try to reach any node it can so if you’re on the edge of two nodes you’ll start getting really poor service as you’ve latched on to a far away node.

I updated to Google WiFi when we installed google fiber. Works great with multiple users streaming.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Cpadave wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:55 pm Had orbi which worked great for a while then started to disconnect from internet frequently. Switched to google and for most part had no issues.
Had this also, and Orbi has a limited number of satellites (difficult stone house). So, I moved the Orbi boxes to our detached garage/office and switched to eero in the house.

Theoretically, they are not as fast as Orbi, but they have performed flawlessly.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy »

We've been running the Google mesh for several years- probably 3-4 and it has been very good. I think it may have been the only option available at the time. My general opinion is that we are very happy with it but there might be better (cheaper) options out there now- I haven't had a reason to look.
Ruprecht

Post by Ruprecht »

I have the Orbi 6. Have been using it about seven months now. Works great. Was very easy to set up.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

I love the Orbi. I think one difference is the Orbi has Ethernet ports. At least I think that was the difference back when I compared them. An Ethernet cable has advantages over WiFi in terms of consistency. Of course, it won't matter if in your situation you would never connect anything with a cable.
Afty

Post by Afty »

michaelingp wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:00 am I love the Orbi. I think one difference is the Orbi has Ethernet ports. At least I think that was the difference back when I compared them. An Ethernet cable has advantages over WiFi in terms of consistency. Of course, it won't matter if in your situation you would never connect anything with a cable.
Google Wifi also has ethernet ports, two per unit. Google Nest Wifi does not. It's confusing.
Topic Author
Hoosier CPA

Post by Hoosier CPA »

Afty wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:30 am
michaelingp wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:00 am I love the Orbi. I think one difference is the Orbi has Ethernet ports. At least I think that was the difference back when I compared them. An Ethernet cable has advantages over WiFi in terms of consistency. Of course, it won't matter if in your situation you would never connect anything with a cable.
Google Wifi also has ethernet ports, two per unit. Google Nest Wifi does not. It's confusing.
Yes, that's annoying. Google Wifi is AC1200, and Google Nest is AC2200. Based on that, I was leaning towards the Nest. I with the nest had the ethernet ports instead of the speaker, which I won't use.
Topic Author
Hoosier CPA

Post by Hoosier CPA »

mortfree wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:42 am Google store has sale on November 25.

But I know you prefer Costco.
Yes, saw that. Thanks. Costco's return policy is the key for me on this.
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

I decided it was time to move to a mesh system from my Apple Airport Extreme. I chose the Eero and have been "extremely" satisfied.
https://eero.com/shop/eero-pro-6

May want to expand your search to include this system.

Good Luck with whatever decision you make!!
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

Hoosier CPA wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:45 am

Yes, that's annoying. Google Wifi is AC1200, and Google Nest is AC2200. Based on that, I was leaning towards the Nest. I with the nest had the ethernet ports instead of the speaker, which I won't use.
You definitely want better than AC1200. With AC1200 most likely the router will be slower than what your ISP provides. I went from a AC1200 router to the AC3000 Orbi, and until then I never realized that the router was the choke point in my network. I was paying Verizon for 100 Mbits but even on Ethernet I was getting less than half that. With the Orbi, all my devices get over 100 Mbits in speed test.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

michaelingp wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:27 pm
Hoosier CPA wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:45 am

You definitely want better than AC1200. With AC1200 most likely the router will be slower than what your ISP provides. I went from a AC1200 router to the AC3000 Orbi, and until then I never realized that the router was the choke point in my network. I was paying Verizon for 100 Mbits but even on Ethernet I was getting less than half that. With the Orbi, all my devices get over 100 Mbits in speed test.
These numbers are pretty meaningless. There was almost certainly something else affecting your speed, nothing to do with AC1200 vs AC3000 or whatever. That you were getting slow speeds on Ethernet means the issue had nothing to do with wi-fi (and the ACXXXX number only applies to wi-fi).

The number behind AC has to do with theoretical maximum speeds for the wifi connection (not your internet provider), and it's a bunch of crock. Most computers and cell phones with AC wifi can "only" do a theoretical max of 867 Mbps, with real speeds around 300-500 Mbps. That's way faster than most people's home internet, and so if you have 100 Mbps internet it matters not a whit whether your router is AC1200 or AC3000.

AC1200 = 2x2 AC 5GHz at 867 Mbps + 2.4 GHz at 300 Mbps - but you can't actually connect one device to both bands simultaneously
AC2000 = 4x4 AC 5GHz at 1734 Mbps + 2.4 GHz at 450 Mbps - again, hypothetical speeds supported by very few phones and computers
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

Orbi has a dedicated backhaul radio, google does not. I would pick Orbi
02nz

Post by 02nz »

teCh0010 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:40 pm Orbi has a dedicated backhaul radio, google does not. I would pick Google.
Depends on which one you're talking about. Not all of the Orbi systems have dedicated backhaul.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

I realize you want something at Costco but I bought an eero pro 6 set at Amazon (also good return policy). Works great - I get 940 mbps down and 50 up. Setup was very fast and seamless.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

Have you looked at Eero?

I looked into mesh wifi, but have avoided it so far. I am staying away from anything the has Google built into it, but I read that Eero looks like a good product.

-B
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

Just installed Google Nest wifi mesh system today. Kind of a pain to set up, but seems to be working well. I will have to research the privacy settings more, but I declined all options to send info to Google.

Unfortunately, only one ethernet port is provided, so I have to buy an ethernet splitter to connect various wired devices directly to the router.
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads
JimMolony

Post by JimMolony »

Neither. Bought eero by Amazon. $379 at Best Buy. Works incredibly well.
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

BIGal wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:50 am I decided it was time to move to a mesh system from my Apple Airport Extreme. I chose the Eero and have been "extremely" satisfied.

Did your living space grow? Curious that you migrated to a 6-unit mesh system from a single router that must have worked at least fairly well.
illumination

Post by illumination »

I had a bad experience with Orbi, had to return.

Absolutely love my Eero Pros. Have helped a few family members install their Eero (non-pro), everyone was really happy with them.
Gadget

Post by Gadget »

I personally have the Orbi and so does a friend. If you're even slightly technologically inclined, I'd recommend Orbi. Or if you're a gamer, or have a home server, or a lot of wifi cameras. Some situation like that.

If you're a normal internet user and just want the easiest setup possible without hassling with settings, I'd go with the Google Nest Wifi one. It's both cheaper and less finicky with firmware updates.
cannister

Post by cannister »

Glad to see others are having the same dilemma.

I did a home experiment to compare Costco's Nighthawk Mesh vs. Netgear Orbi ($430) with AT&T gigabit.

* If setting up with iOS 14 you may run into app problems. I had to use an old Ipad to setup but then things worked on iPhones afterward.
* Found Orbi to be superior. Here's a screenshot of my results https://imgur.com/IA2NHIm
* Nighthawk speeds dropped
* Orbi markedly improved basement connectoin
* Ethernet backhaul in Orbi permitted me to retire an old power-link adapter for my 8 year old canon laser printer
BogleZogle___Mogul

Post by BogleZogle___Mogul »

marcwd wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:55 pm
BIGal wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:50 am I decided it was time to move to a mesh system from my Apple Airport Extreme. I chose the Eero and have been "extremely" satisfied.

Did your living space grow? Curious that you migrated to a 6-unit mesh system from a single router that must have worked at least fairly well.
That’s 6 as in the WiFi 6 standard, not a 6 unit system. The Eeros linked above come in either a 3 pack or a 1 pack.

I’ve used a 3 pack of Eero Pros for the last 3 years or so and highly recommend them. They work great, easy setup, and you never have to think about them.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

I have had the Google WiFi Mesh since April, no hiccups, works great.

Dave