Investment management fees

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Jagger

Investment management fees

Post by Jagger »

Hi all. I invest in passive index funds and ETFs with low yearly investment management fees, e.g., 1 basis point, 4 basis points, 7 basis points. My question is: when does Vanguard withdraw those fees? Monthly? Quarterly? Annually? Is there anywhere on the Vanguard site where these fee withdrawals are shown? Thanks.
John Z

Re: Investment management fees

Post by John Z »

The fees are "blended" into the returns so you never see them unless there is a fee to buy into the fund.
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

Jagger wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:34 pm Hi all. I invest in passive index funds and ETFs with low yearly investment management fees, e.g., 1 basis point, 4 basis points, 7 basis points. My question is: when does Vanguard withdraw those fees? Monthly? Quarterly? Annually? Is there anywhere on the Vanguard site where these fee withdrawals are shown? Thanks.
According to some of the reading I've done, the fees are basically taken daily (sort of a back-office process by the custodial bank). As far as I know, there is no place on the site where the withdrawals are shown. However, the expense ratios are published on the website for each of your holdings.

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

Here is the language:
Expense Ratio (E.R.) - these expenses are included in the reporting of the returns, there is no separate accounting
Fees - these are visible and have separate accounting. For instance, VICSX has a purchase fee of 0.25%
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius