Happily retired but seriously considering going back to work

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
surfstar

Re: Happily retired but seriously considering going back to work

Post by surfstar »

1. Are you really happily retired? Sounds like you couldn't find anything better to do than work.
2. Would you work for free? You don't need the money, so you are saying you have nothing better to do.

If
1 - no
2 - yes

Please donate the money to my FIRE fund. I'm sick of work. Win, win for the both of us.
visualguy

Post by visualguy »

I went through something like this in my early 50s, and went back to work, but I most likely wouldn't do it in my 60s as in the case of the OP (unless it was a really awesome job!) Can't say for sure though - it's one of those things that's hard to assess unless you're living through it - too many personal and specific factors at play.
Topic Author
shavenyak

Post by shavenyak »

OP here...I'm grateful for so many helpful and thoughtful replies.

My life's experience has taught me that within reason I should choose the most difficult option among two attractive alternatives because that choice has made me feel the best about myself (purposeful, contributing, teamwork with people, and so forth) after-the-fact, in the long run. However, I know that model probably doesn't apply in this case because the long run isn't nearly as long as it was before (health/lifespan). "This time is different" is rarely the case until it is.

Thanks again.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

coffeeblack wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:10 pm
galawdawg wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:46 am After I retired at age 53 from my position as a DA, I received a number of interesting and lucrative job offers. But my time and the freedom to enjoy the "fruits of my labor" to the fullest at a young age were much more important to me and I didn't pursue any of those opportunities.

In my situation, my Mom was diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimers while still working which quickly progressed to the point where she needed more care than my Dad could provide. So rather than enjoying their "golden years" at their contemplated retirement home on the coast of South Carolina, my parents stayed put and my Mom was moved to a memory care unit of a nursing home where she remained until she passed away eight years after her diagnosis. I also lost a number of friends who passed away in their early sixties while still working full-time, none of them were able to enjoy retirement.

Since we have been blessed with financial resources enabling us to enjoy our retirement without financial concern, I have no intent to return to the workforce. We enjoy the freedom of going to our grandchildren's activities, having them visit with us during school holidays, taking vacations (pre-COVID) whenever we wished to get away, doing things on the spur of the moment, and being with family and friends. We also have the ability to volunteer and when a need arises, we are often available. All without concern about work schedules or getting "permission" from employers.

So do you really want to be an employee for the next five years with all that comes along with a 40-50 hour a week job? You'll be tethered to a company, rather than to your family, friends and interests.

I think you answer your own question in the title of your post and your first two sentences: "Happily retired..." and "I am 63 and have thoroughly enjoyed being busily retired for several years. My family and I don't have a real need for more money. "

While it is ego boosting to know that in the view of your former professional colleagues and contemporaries you "still have it", don't let that "we need you" emotion sway your decision.

Good luck!
I like this post. Puts thing in perspective. :sharebeer

+100

Well said!
Old Sage(brush)

Post by Old Sage(brush) »

It would raise red flags for me about any employer in any situation expecting a 5 year commitment. Even more true in this situation. Will they commit to keeping you employed for 5 years? You’re not a franchise NFL quarterback in your mid-20s. That said, if you want to take it and decide after a year, or 5 months, that it’s not for you, then you can just leave, professionally of course.
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

Some of the faculty in my School who've retired come back and teach adjunct. Adjunct pay is pretty meh but if you have taught the classes before they are not too time consuming and adjuncts are exempt from much of the other permanent faculty bull.

No one has done it more than a couple semesters in a row and the vast majority only do it one, even the ones who seemed to enjoy teaching the most.

Once I go, either in 21 or 22, I doubt I'll ever set foot in the building again even though I'm one of those who enjoy teaching and working with students. There are lots of ways to stay mentally challenged without going back to work.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers
aprilcpa

Post by aprilcpa »

shavenyak wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:03 am
Other than asking myself non-monetary questions that only I can answer (e.g., "I'm enjoying volunteering and fantastic freedom to pursue my own interests, but wouldn't I feel even more satisfied if I spent the next five years doing something with more purpose?" (VS.) "Time is my most important resource, so why shouldn't I spend whatever time is left for me enjoying my family and my current lifestyle?")
How can working at a job be "something with more purpose" than volunteering and spending time with your family??
Last edited by aprilcpa on Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

beernutz wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:35 pm Some of the faculty in my School who've retired come back and teach adjunct. Adjunct pay is pretty meh but if you have taught the classes before they are not too time consuming and adjuncts are exempt from much of the other permanent faculty bull.

No one has done it more than a couple semesters in a row and the vast majority only do it one, even the ones who seemed to enjoy teaching the most.

Once I go, either in 21 or 22, I doubt I'll ever set foot in the building again even though I'm one of those who enjoy teaching and working with students. There are lots of ways to stay mentally challenged without going back to work.
I am also wondering why any faculty want to come back to teach a class for a much less than what they made before retirement. I would not even consider to go back to teach once I retire. The professors retired from my department before 70 years old were either sick or running their own businesses. But I plan to retire before my 60 and never come back.
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Howdy

By all means go for it!

Us retired guys need all the overachievers we can get to maintain solvency of Social Security!

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid
renter

Post by renter »

8foot7 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:25 am I would be looking to turn this into a 1-1.5 day/week consulting role at a handsome rate of pay, or I'd say no. And I certainly wouldn't commit to five years. I'd barely commit to next month.

Basically the amount of work should be so little and the pay should be so stupidly high that you simply can't say no. Anything less and I'd be out.
This.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

flyingaway wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:05 pm
beernutz wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:35 pm Some of the faculty in my School who've retired come back and teach adjunct. Adjunct pay is pretty meh but if you have taught the classes before they are not too time consuming and adjuncts are exempt from much of the other permanent faculty bull.

I am also wondering why any faculty want to come back to teach a class for a much less than what they made before retirement. I would not even consider to go back to teach once I retire. The professors retired from my department before 70 years old were either sick or running their own businesses. But I plan to retire before my 60 and never come back.
I can understand why, but not so much now in the pandemic era, where there is often never any personal contact with... anyone. To me that would be the value of delivering the occasional class. And even if classes are in-person, now there have to be online options for students who can't attend, so it's often twice the work (preparing online and in-person materials, etc.) for the same pay.
Wrench

Post by Wrench »

shavenyak wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:03 am In brief, I am 63 and have thoroughly enjoyed being busily retired for several years. My family and I don't have a real need for more money. I have been offered a fulltime job (about 40-50 hours a week) related to my former career that I believe would be interesting and challenging. The employer understands my comfortable lifestyle; reading between the lines and absent unforeseen events, I can tell the employer doesn't want me to accept the job unless I have about a 5-year commitment in mind. I agree with that thinking on several levels. Fwiw, the job would be mostly remote during Covid and a combo of remote/doable commute post-Covid. I have three weeks to weigh the offer and decide.

Other than asking myself non-monetary questions that only I can answer (e.g., "I'm enjoying volunteering and fantastic freedom to pursue my own interests, but wouldn't I feel even more satisfied if I spent the next five years doing something with more purpose?" (VS.) "Time is my most important resource, so why shouldn't I spend whatever time is left for me enjoying my family and my current lifestyle?") When I ask those kinds of questions, the second one seems much more compelling when I bring my family into the equation, but they want me to do whatever will make me feel most fulfilled and they know I've always lived with a healthy perspective about work-life balance.

To each his/her own, but for those who have been in roughly similar circumstances or have done some focused thinking on the subject, I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
I appreciate your position. I've retired three times, and went back to work each time, but in positions that were new, interesting and made me learn and grow. It is a highly personal decision. But for me, I realized that work provides three things: (1) social interaction, (2) a sense of contributing to an organization and society and (3) a paycheck. At my point in life (and it sounds like yours) the last is the least important of the three. So I would say, if you can get the first two through your retirement activities and don't need the third, stay retired. But if one or both of the first two is lacking in your current situation, go for it. If the work BS becomes too much, leave. But I have found that KNOWING I can leave anytime, gives me the freedom to tune out the BS and office politics and just enjoy the job I am doing and the people I work with.

Good luck with whatever path you take!

Wrench
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

Seems to me there's not much else to do right now, probably, until an effective vaccine is distributed.

That might be a good basis to say to them that, for right now, the work might be just the thing, what with not being able to go places, see a lot of family, etc. But that, when things hopefully change later, ask what they'd think about you thinking you'll want to reconsider then...

It's tricky business, negotiating. But there's nothing wrong with floating some ideas you're having, to see what they think about them, thus giving you more information as input into your (and their) decision-making.

There's lots to be said about negotiating, but consider there's an information gathering stage, or stages, during which ideas/approaches, etc. can be discussed, back and forth. Part of it is timing, getting an idea of how soon you need to decide, etc. One important thing is that during negotiating, there are exchanges of ideas/approaches, etc., but this is geared toward a final sit-down/zoom-call during which things will be finalized. It's important not to bring up something new at that final sit-down. Everything to discuss/decide/finalize at that final meeting/sit-down ought to have already been put on the table.

So, I'd be open with them about how your thinking is going, without a firm yes or no, so as to gauge where they are coming from, and try to get to a win-win outcome.
Tracker968

Post by Tracker968 »

I retired at 64 and started consulting 6 months later. I work Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursdays. I love having Mondays and Fridays off. Every weekend is a 4 day weekend! I end up working 20 - 28 hours per week and make approximately the same amount per hour as pre-retirement but w/o any benefits. It has worked out well for me since Covid has put a damper on our travel plans. But I certainly wouldn't want to work 40-50 hours per week anymore. The biggest problem I am having is that due to my extra income, I am running out of years to do Roth conversions!
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

why are we so conditioned that "work" should consume are being? Not in a million years..
Wrench

Post by Wrench »

theplayer11 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:39 pm why are we so conditioned that "work" should consume are being? Not in a million years..
Because "work" for some of us is an enjoyable pass time with lots of non-monetary benefits. Oh, and you can get paid for it, too! :happy
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

mrmass wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:19 pm My father used to say about athletes that won't retire or play when they're too old, that they really don't want to be home with their families and rather hang with the guys.
That was my thought too.

What does this guys wife think? In your 60s, when you’re affluent, it’s your life at home that absolutely needs to me made the first priority.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

theplayer11 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:39 pm why are we so conditioned that "work" should consume are being? Not in a million years..
Agrred. :sharebeer
Societal brainwashing, is the answer to your rhetorical question, though.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Only you can answer your question.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

shavenyak wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:03 am I am 63 and have thoroughly enjoyed being busily retired for several years. .... I have been offered a fulltime job (about 40-50 hours a week) related to my former career that I believe would be interesting and challenging. The employer understands my comfortable lifestyle; reading between the lines and absent unforeseen events, I can tell the employer doesn't want me to accept the job unless I have about a 5-year commitment in mind. I agree with that thinking on several levels.
Congratulations on the offer. That is a real compliment to your skills and reputation. Most people have a hard time finding full time professional employment after 50. Unless you're signing a contract, I don't think you should feel obligated to make it a 5 year or 50 hour a week commitment. The employer obviously sees you have valuable human capital, and hence the offer. Having scaled back from a high stress 60 hour plus job to one that is 35 hours a week, it feels almost like having a part-time hobby job. It is still challenging and rewarding work, with some travel and speaking engagements, but I'm not burning the midnight oil many nights, and I take all of my 4 weeks vacation time, and every federal holiday known to man.

I'd take it, being upfront about your intended hours and vacation time. If you're not happy after a year, go back to being retired. I don't think that's being unfair or leading anyone on.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:11 pm
mrmass wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:19 pm My father used to say about athletes that won't retire or play when they're too old, that they really don't want to be home with their families and rather hang with the guys.
That was my thought too.

What does this guys wife think? In your 60s, when you’re affluent, it’s your life at home that absolutely needs to me made the first priority.
Doesn't his wife have her own life, too? Why do you need someone shadowing around you all the time to have a life?
Wanderingwheelz

MathIsMyWayr wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:08 pm
That was my thought too.

Doesn't his wife have her own life, too? Why do you need someone shadowing around you all the time to have a life?
Are you married?
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:17 pm
That was my thought too.

Are you married?
How else should I know?
Wanderingwheelz

MathIsMyWayr wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:21 pm
That was my thought too.

Are you married?
How else should I know?
You don’t make your life at home with your wife your first priority? What is your first priority?
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:24 pm

That was my thought too.

Are you married?
How else should I know?
You don’t make your life at home with your wife your first priority? What is your first priority?
I don't have to be home with my wife all the time 24/7. A spouse is not like a mom to an infant. The worst I can do to my wife is developing a sense of being indispensable.
Last edited by MathIsMyWayr on Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gabelli2020

Post by Gabelli2020 »

I’m a retired surgeon (5 years). I wouldn’t trade one walk with my hounds and wife for any further time in the operating room.
Wanderingwheelz

MathIsMyWayr wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:31 pm
Are you married?
How else should I know?
I don't have to be home with my wife all the time 24/7. A spouse is not like a mom to an infant. The worst I can do to my wife is developing a sense of being indispensable.
What is your first priority?
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:42 pm
MathIsMyWayr wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:31 pm
Are you married?
How else should I know?
What is your first priority?
I, myself, is not that important. What may count is the support, encouragement, and consulting which I provide, but not myself. I am not someone she should worship all day. Hanging around home and chasing after her may be more detrimental than beneficial.
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

At 63, if no need the money, I will say no.

If I want to support a cause and will give away the Salary to the cause then yes.