Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
pshacha

Re: So excited about reaching personal milestone and no one that I can tell.

Post by pshacha »

Great going!! Congratulations!!!

You are NOT Workinprogress anymore :happy
32-year old techie with stable income
BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 »

Awesome and congratulations. That is quite an accomplishment.

You are a millionaire and soon will own your home without a mortgage. You put yourself in a great position to walk away from a toxic workplace or chase whatever dreams you want to. I know we are in the middle of a pandemic, but try to find a way to celebrate and splurge a little, achievements like this don't come easy. Reward yourself!!

Oh, and congrats on the weight loss.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Workinprogress wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:16 pm [Merged into the existing discussion -- moderator oldcomputerguy]

This is not meant as bragging, especially on a forum where so many are well beyond my achievements.

2020 will be a year of many milestones for me. Three of the financial ones are;

I am still in my 59th year and just today broke over 1 million in my retirement savings accounts.

This is the first year that I am projected to barely break over 100K of income.

Lastly we only have about 14K left on our mortgage for a home worth well more than I ever thought possible. Considering just paying it off eight months early in this 2020 year.

If you had asked me ten years ago if either of the first two were a remote possibility, I would have answered in the negative.

And one more that is remotely financial. In the last twelve months I have lost 40 pounds, getting back to 155, less than my HS weight, with more muscle than I have had since USMC boot camp. All in hopes of living healthy/long enough to actually spend some of this money on more fun adventures.

Life is really grand for me at the moment.

Thanks for giving me a safe forum to share my good fortunes.
You are absolutely awesome!

The financial milestones are impressive. But, for me, the weight loss is even better. As someone who has a few years on you, I can tell you that doing everything that you can to maintain good health will pay BIG dividends as you get older.

Well done!
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
William104

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by William104 »

Thanks to back to back higher than expected income years I crossed the 1M net worth threshold this year at 32 years old. Home value plays a big part at about 500k out of 1.2m NW but investments are starting to grow quite nicely. Took me 7 years to hit 1M so my current goal is to hit 3M by 40. Still in disbelief about these numbers some days...
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

We crossed $900k total in our brokerage and IRA's yesterday. Almost to the two comma club. Maybe in a few years.

Thank you fellow bogleheads.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Congratulations workinprogresss, those are all outstanding achievements :D .
lostdog wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:46 am We crossed $900k total in our brokerage and IRA's yesterday. Almost to the two comma club. Maybe in a few years.

Congratulations lostdog, maybe next year for two commas :) .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
luminous

Post by luminous »

Congratulations to William104 and lostdog!
50/20/30 US stock/international stock/bonds. Hope to semi-retire in 2022.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

ruralavalon wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:43 am Congratulations workinprogresss, those are all outstanding achievements :D .
lostdog wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:46 am We crossed $900k total in our brokerage and IRA's yesterday. Almost to the two comma club. Maybe in a few years.

Congratulations lostdog, maybe next year for two commas :) .

Thank you. :sharebeer
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

luminous wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:48 am Congratulations to William104 and lostdog!
:beer
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

Joining Bogleheads and learning lots from this community
Increase in salary
Buying a house with 20% down
First year taxable account
First year Roth IRA account (and last year, too; next year is going to be by the back door)
He/him/his
bigred77

Post by bigred77 »

I’m going to post in this thread since there’s nobody besides my wife to tell and celebration options are limited these days due to Covid.

Today our household networth (including home equity) crossed the 2 comma threshold!! We hit this earlier than planned (mid 30s) with an extremely helpful market this past decade. It took 12.5 years to go from -$70k to +$1M. I consider myself extremely fortunate to stumble upon the bogleheads forum when I was just 23. We developed a plan, stayed relatively disciplined with it, and we’re lucky enough to stay employed the entire time with a steadily rising income.

Goals of $1.5M networth and $1M in investable assets look very attainable before 40. Stretch goal of $2M networth by 40 would be possible if we get 10% returns over the next 5 years.

Here’s hoping :beer :beer
Investing.Newbie

Post by Investing.Newbie »

bigred77 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:27 pm I’m going to post in this thread since there’s nobody besides my wife to tell and celebration options are limited these days due to Covid.

Today our household networth (including home equity) crossed the 2 comma threshold!! We hit this earlier than planned (mid 30s) with an extremely helpful market this past decade. It took 12.5 years to go from -$70k to +$1M. I consider myself extremely fortunate to stumble upon the bogleheads forum when I was just 23. We developed a plan, stayed relatively disciplined with it, and we’re lucky enough to stay employed the entire time with a steadily rising income.

Goals of $1.5M networth and $1M in investable assets look very attainable before 40. Stretch goal of $2M networth by 40 would be possible if we get 10% returns over the next 5 years.

Congrats bigred77 that's really great ! :sharebeer
Investing.Newbie

Post by Investing.Newbie »

familythriftmd wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:58 pm 2020
Joining Bogleheads and learning lots from this community
Increase in salary
Buying a house with 20% down
First year taxable account
First year Roth IRA account (and last year, too; next year is going to be by the back door)
Congrats ! :sharebeer
luminous

Post by luminous »

bigred77 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:27 pm I’m going to post in this thread since there’s nobody besides my wife to tell and celebration options are limited these days due to Covid.

Congratulations!
A440

Post by A440 »

My YTD investment returns are once again beating my take home pay from my humble public school teaching salary. I've calculated that an average yearly return of 4.5% or higher will beat my take home pay.
Very glad to have learned about Vanguard and started my IRA when I was 19 years old. Thank you John Bogle!
Although this came out after I started investing, I recommend this book to anyone learning to invest the Bogle way:https://www.amazon.com/Little-Book-Comm ... 0470102101
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
grettman

Post by grettman »

We reached $2M in investible assets. Took us a little less than 6 years to go from $1M to 2M. (this includes contributions too). I find this amazing considering what happened to our portfolio in March.
runner23

Post by runner23 »

My wife and I hit $1m net worth this week. This has been a goal of ours for quite some time. We both will be 31 before year end and feel like we have created a lot of options for the future by achieving this milestone young.

$800k (500/300 retirement/taxable)
$200k home equity
Last edited by runner23 on Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

A440 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:53 am My YTD investment returns are once again beating my take home pay from my humble public school teaching salary. I've calculated that an average yearly return of 4.5% or higher will beat my take home pay.
Very glad to have learned about Vanguard and started my IRA when I was 19 years old. Thank you John Bogle!
Although this came out after I started investing, I recommend this book to anyone learning to invest the Bogle way:https://www.amazon.com/Little-Book-Comm ... 0470102101
Congratulations! It must be a great feeling to see how hard your money is working for you now.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

grettman wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:03 am We reached $2M in investible assets. Took us a little less than 6 years to go from $1M to 2M. (this includes contributions too). I find this amazing considering what happened to our portfolio in March.
Fantastic! A lot of people comment that the 2nd million comes so much faster than the first.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

runner23 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:19 am My wife and I hit $1m net worth this week. This has been a goal of ours for quite some time. We both will be 31 before year end and feel like we have created a lot of options for the future by achieving this milestone young.

$800k (500/250 retirement/taxable)
$200k home equity
To me, it’s amazing anytime somebody reaches $1M before their 40th birthday. You guys absolutely crushed it. Way to go!
jory1804

Post by jory1804 »

This year I paid my 10 millionth dollar of income taxes (lifetime-to-date).
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

jory1804 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:54 pm This year I paid my 10 millionth dollar of income taxes (lifetime-to-date).
Congratulations? I guess.

If you paid $10 million in taxes, you’ve made a heck of a lot more than $10 million in income. That deserves congratulations! :moneybag
tingles

Post by tingles »

This week, my spouse and I hit $1million in investments. About $880k is in retirement - so hoping to check off that next $1 million marker in retirement assets sometime next year!

We’re in our mid-30s, and hit $1 million NW last year. Starting to feel good about our financial plan and can’t wait to see where this goes if we keep saving the way we do (we both do max contribution to our retirement accounts, backdoor Roth and HSAs, and save about 25% additional each month). Of course, no kids yet, so I’m sure things will change when more expenses cough kids come.
A La Mode

Post by A La Mode »

Hit 100k NW earlier this year, got a good job offer and possibly landing an even better one, and saved enough to move out of my parents' house to purchase my first apartment. I'm very grateful to have stumbled onto this community (long time lurker), my only regret is that I didn't learn to save and invest sooner.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

tingles wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:33 am This week, my spouse and I hit $1million in investments. About $880k is in retirement - so hoping to check off that next $1 million marker in retirement assets sometime next year!

We’re in our mid-30s, and hit $1 million NW last year. Starting to feel good about our financial plan and can’t wait to see where this goes if we keep saving the way we do (we both do max contribution to our retirement accounts, backdoor Roth and HSAs, and save about 25% additional each month). Of course, no kids yet, so I’m sure things will change when more expenses cough kids come.
Congratulations on both the investments and net worth :D .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

A La Mode wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:47 am Hit 100k NW earlier this year, got a good job offer and possibly landing an even better one, and saved enough to move out of my parents' house to purchase my first apartment. I'm very grateful to have stumbled onto this community (long time lurker), my only regret is that I didn't learn to save and invest sooner.
A La Mode,

Congratulations to you! Hitting $100k is a big deal, and so is moving out to live on your own.

Best of luck on the new job. Keep us posted as you continue to build wealth.
Workinprogress

Post by Workinprogress »

A La Mode wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:47 am Hit 100k NW earlier this year, got a good job offer and possibly landing an even better one, and saved enough to move out of my parents' house to purchase my first apartment. I'm very grateful to have stumbled onto this community (long time lurker), my only regret is that I didn't learn to save and invest sooner.
Well done. The first milestones are the hardest, in my opinion.
Do not worry about yesterday, you can only make changes to your future.
A La Mode

Post by A La Mode »

Stinky wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:37 pm
A La Mode,

Congratulations to you! Hitting $100k is a big deal, and so is moving out to live on your own.

Best of luck on the new job. Keep us posted as you continue to build wealth.
Appreciate it! Looking forward to it.
A La Mode

Post by A La Mode »

Workinprogress wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:42 pm
Well done. The first milestones are the hardest, in my opinion.
Do not worry about yesterday, you can only make changes to your future.
Thank you, the future is looking looking a little brighter.
luminous

Post by luminous »

tingles wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:33 am This week, my spouse and I hit $1million in investments. About $880k is in retirement - so hoping to check off that next $1 million marker in retirement assets sometime next year!

Congratulations!
luminous

Post by luminous »

Congratulations! This community has really helped me over the years as well.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Workinprogress wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:16 pm [Merged into the existing discussion -- moderator oldcomputerguy]

This is not meant as bragging, especially on a forum where so many are well beyond my achievements.

2020 will be a year of many milestones for me. Three of the financial ones are;

I am still in my 59th year and just today broke over 1 million in my retirement savings accounts.

This is the first year that I am projected to barely break over 100K of income.

Lastly we only have about 14K left on our mortgage for a home worth well more than I ever thought possible. Considering just paying it off eight months early in this 2020 year.

If you had asked me ten years ago if either of the first two were a remote possibility, I would have answered in the negative.

And one more that is remotely financial. In the last twelve months I have lost 40 pounds, getting back to 155, less than my HS weight, with more muscle than I have had since USMC boot camp. All in hopes of living healthy/long enough to actually spend some of this money on more fun adventures.

Life is really grand for me at the moment.

Thanks for giving me a safe forum to share my good fortunes.
I love it. Thanks for sharing with us.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
majiaknight

Post by majiaknight »

EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:46 am I have no one else to share this with other than this forum. We paid off our 2.75% mortgage this week. Actually, it looks like we overpaid and the mortgage company owes us $45 which they said will send to use in the next few weeks. Why can't I charge them 2.75% interest...lol.

We are in our mid 40s and paid it off 7 years early. We pushed for the payoff once we hit 25x expenses in investments.

The only debt we have left is a $75k 1.5% school loan. Not sure if we should push through this one as well or pay the bare minimum which will take another 12 years for it to go away.
Congrats! My family is also considering when to accelerate the mortgage (15Y@2.875%) payoff and your used indicator of 25x annual expenses in investment might be a good one though it may take us a while to reach as we're living in VHCOL areas with one K-12 kid in private school.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

majiaknight wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:10 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:46 am I have no one else to share this with other than this forum. We paid off our 2.75% mortgage this week. Actually, it looks like we overpaid and the mortgage company owes us $45 which they said will send to use in the next few weeks. Why can't I charge them 2.75% interest...lol.

We are in our mid 40s and paid it off 7 years early. We pushed for the payoff once we hit 25x expenses in investments.

The only debt we have left is a $75k 1.5% school loan. Not sure if we should push through this one as well or pay the bare minimum which will take another 12 years for it to go away.
Congrats! My family is also considering when to accelerate the mortgage (15Y@2.875%) payoff and your used indicator of 25x annual expenses in investment might be a good one though it may take us a while to reach as we're living in VHCOL areas with one K-12 kid in private school.
Thanks. My thinking for 25x because at 25x we can stop working and want to be debt free at the time. The other aspect that pushed us over the top was that I rebalanced one March and when the market started coming back I was over weight in equities and would have to buy bonds with new contributions. I felt putting money into low rate of return bonds while still having a higher rate mortgage made no sense.

Either way, 25x seemed to have come much faster than expected. I wish you the same surprise.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
Free to Choose

Post by Free to Choose »

2% of my investments cover my yearly basic-living expenses. I'm not sure when it happened because I recently set this as a milestone.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Free to Choose wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:07 pm 2% of my investments cover my yearly basic-living expenses. I'm not sure when it happened because I recently set this as a milestone.
Congratulations, that's quite an accomplishment.
S00pr sav3r

Post by S00pr sav3r »

Hit $300k net worth today! 32 years old. Looking forward to leaving my high stress high paying job in another year or two and letting compound interest do it’s thing for the next 20-30 years. The market giveth and it taketh away, but I’m enjoying the ride up for now.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

S00pr sav3r wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:11 pm Hit $300k net worth today! 32 years old. Looking forward to leaving my high stress high paying job in another year or two and letting compound interest do it’s thing for the next 20-30 years. The market giveth and it taketh away, but I’m enjoying the ride up for now.
That is fantastic! Keep up the good work.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

So, I can only tell my fellow Bogleheads so here goes....

Paid off my mortgage today. This is not really a big deal, just my starter home. Purchased in 2000 for $87,400, did a cash out refi few years ago to pay off a business loan, drop PMI, and switch to a 15yr note. New loan was $120,000.

Bond yields were upside down so decided to sell some bonds and pay off note for a guaranteed return of 3.125%.

It was a goal to reach two commas and have my home paid off by 50 yrs old. This was a lofty goal a few years ago! Beat the deadline by about 18 months.

New goal is to be able to retire at 55, guesstimate $2.5 million needed, another lofty target.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

We made more in investments this year than the lower of our salaries (mine, heh heh). :twisted:

Also, up over $100k since the depths of March.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

dziuniek wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:43 pm We made more in investments this year than the lower of our salaries (mine, heh heh). :twisted:

Nice, you will likely reach the point when investment returns are > than both of your salaries combined! Good job on staying the course this year, it was a bumpy ride!
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

dziuniek wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:43 pm We made more in investments this year than the lower of our salaries (mine, heh heh). :twisted:

Congratulations :D .

You made me look at the our situation. Year to date, in spite of the COVID crash, our portfolio total return is more than 4 times our expected annual withdrawal rate.
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

ruralavalon wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:39 am

Congratulations :D .

You made me look at the our situation. Year to date, in spite of the COVID crash, our portfolio total return is more than 4 times our expected annual withdrawal rate.
Nice!
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

StevieG72 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:11 am

Nice, you will likely reach the point when investment returns are > than both of your salaries combined! Good job on staying the course this year, it was a bumpy ride!
Thanks! Good luck to all! Keep them milestones coming.