"Buy once, cry once"

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JoMoney

Re: "Buy once, cry once"

Post by JoMoney »

Being willing to throw it away doesn't necessarily mean it goes into the garbage. If it's "perfectly good", might just as easily be picked up by a thrift store or otherwise finding a new owner...
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

oldfort wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:50 pm
This absolutely makes sense for wood furniture. I know people in their 60s using bedroom furniture bought when they were kids, which they then took with them when they moved out. Provided you're willing to refinish it, quality wood furniture can literally last from the time you stop wetting the bed to the time they ship you off to the nursing home.
Not yet in my sixties, but not too far off anymore. Much of our wood furniture is older than we are having been given to us in our twenties from our grandparents. I suspect most is 60-80 years old. I prefer to call it vintage. Fortunately, no honey colored oak- that is what I react to as outdated. I suspect the greys that are working their way into furniture stains these days will look very outdated in less than a decade.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

I am happy to pay more to buy high quality household items - vitamix, All-Clad, Wusthof, etc. Never have regrest paying extra for quality but usually regret purchasing something cheap.

I love beautiful classic lines and solid wood and leather for furniture and I don't mind paying a premium as long as it is very high quality. A lot of our existing furniture and upholstered pieces are from Thomasville (now sadly OOB). Also some pieces purchased direct via catalogue from NC manufacture. Our bed is mahogany from Charles P Rogers. Kitchen table purchased "used" in 1979, is vintage 1910 quarter-sawn oak. Our stuff is not even close to latest styles or trending - that's more than just fine with me.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

livesoft wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:43 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:15 pm It's beautiful, but hopelessly dated, so out it goes next year.
What makes furniture "hopelessly dated"?

I can see that perhaps a microwave oven, dishwasher, or other appliance could get dated, but static furniture? Almost all of our furniture is over 25 years old and the dining room is almost 40 years old.
Picture please, sometimes worth a thousand words..... :sharebeer
02nz

Post by 02nz »

finite_difference wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:21 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:15 pm It's beautiful, but hopelessly dated, so out it goes next year.

I can see that perhaps a microwave oven, dishwasher, or other appliance could get dated, but static furniture? Almost all of our furniture is over 25 years old and the dining room is almost 40 years old.
+1.

Good furniture doesn’t go out of style.

I like Art Deco, MCM, Scandinavian, American craft furniture.
+1 more. True style doesn't go out of fashion. The Eames chair was designed in 1956 - and it's not going to be hopelessly dated in 2056.

But IMHO most furniture sold in America is dated before it's even left the showroom.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

Do you have, or do you plan to have a cat?
Risk is not a guarantor of return.
politely

Post by politely »

I would pay up for strong, quality bookcases because saggy shelves drive me nuts. As for furniture in general, when we furnished our place, we did the math and ball-parked that the cheaper stuff was about 1/10th the price of the non-custom, hand-made, real-wood stuff, and we expected the kids to destroy the stuff, so we went cheaper for most pieces, other than bedroom furniture and couches. We figured that we'd just replace with new stuff as time went on and be better off than retaining chewed up quality stuff for 10x the life of cheaper furniture. Well, the kids did, in fact, do a decent amount of damage, but ultimately, we find that we're willing to live with the flaws rather than going through the trouble of replacing and re-arranging all the stuff that's contained within the furniture. I think the key is to try to pick a "classic" style (but not "old"), avoid being "period" or "modern", and to try to be sort of bland - kind of like choosing white or off-white paint for the inside of the home. But, we did replace the leather couches twice due to the wear & tear - and they were the most expensive furniture pieces we bought.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:42 pm
Arabesque wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:24 pm There’s some great secondhand furniture out there. People get tired or move. Before I moved this year, I went into a consignment furniture store, thinking I could sell some of my furniture. Theirs was all in better shape. So I gave mine away, figuring I would get better when I got to the new address.

I just bought a Pottery Barn style/quality bedroom set for $300. Not quite my taste, but close enough. Estate sale.
DW and I just bought a Pottery Barn bed and two nightstands for $250 a couple of weeks ago. The pieces are very nice, well cared for. Very good quality. Heavy as heck according to the ones taking the pieces upstairs.

Refurnished a spare bedroom pretty cheap. We sold the existing furniture for $160 to a neighbor.

Very nice refresh for about $100 dollars. Though we will have to get two lamps for the nightstands and some new hardware for a dresser we kept.

A DD is going to take care of those things and the softer touches (rugs and bed linens) as a Christmas gift for DW.

Of course what refresh would be complete without new paint? :oops:

Broken Man 1999
Nearly 15 years ago I bought a dining room table and a set of 10 chairs from two different sellers on eBay. My dad and I took a rental truck and hit the first seller in PA (probably the most beautiful house I’ve ever set foot in) and then proceeded on to Long Island for the set of chairs. It’s still just as pretty as ever and the quality cannot be matched since American made furniture like what we have isn’t being production-built anymore.

I spend $1,700 on the table (Huge with 3 leaves) and $1,000 on the set of ten chairs. At an estate sale they’d very likely bring more than 3-5 times what I paid 15 years ago because they’re timeless in style and well cared for. The chair backs are hand carved and would take a couple of days for a craftsman to complete each one.

Probably 3 years after I bought the table the seller emailed me to let me know that they FINALLY found a replacement for the matching sideboard (From an antique dealer in New Orleans) and if I wanted it it was mine. So my dad and I went on another half day adventure to complete the set.

If I was to have tried to buy those 12 pieces of furniture brand new at that time I would have easily spent more than $15,000 and I spent “only“ $3,700.

If you’re a careful and knowledgeable shopper it’s possible to furnish a room for pennies on the dollar, even with the absolute highest quality items. You just have to be prepared to travel, and to give the room some time to be completed. But I find the hunt be fun, and I can certainly understand why some people wouldn’t.

So yeah, I’m a firm believer in “buy once, cry once.”

Let me tell you about our living room furniture.. lol. Each room is a story!
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

Google "ancient Roman furniture". Essentially no one has any of that in their house. So we are all in complete agreement that it is possible for furniture to look hopelessly dated. The only disagreement is where to draw the line.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

oldfort wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:04 pm From a finance perspective, with unnecessary spending, and an environmental perspective, with unnecessary waste, it seems crazy to me people would throw away perfectly good furniture because it looks out of date or isn't in some "modern" style.
Yeah, i also find it strange. Pure consumption consumerism. Same with vehicles, though at least some can try to argue the safety factor with those.

I guess people are very judgmental when they go to others' houses and are worried they will also be judged. As I sit here and think about it, I can’t recall a single specific piece of furniture at any friend’s house and whether is seemed dated. No idea what is in my parents' house and for sure 'old people live there'.

Different strokes. Buy away, I am sure I own some companies in Total Stock that will benefit.

Oh, and IKEA longevity is crazy. We have some pieces that have gone through five moves and are still tight and strong. Crazy.
midareff

Post by midareff »

totallynotsure wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:04 pm what are your thoughts on this mantra? i think it makes sense - for certain items.

right now my wife and i are furniture shopping. i could spend $1500 on something that might last 8 years or $3500 on an heirloom piece that might last 25+.

where do your habits usually lead to?
I spent the money have many 25+ year old pieces.... high quality teak, that's how I roll(ed). Now at age 73 I still don't buy things I don't expect to last.
Last edited by midareff on Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nastywarnob

Post by Nastywarnob »

Jerry Seinfeld has a comedy bit that goes on to state that everything you buy is simply in different stages on the way to being garbage. I’ve come to that view over the years. Owning “things” doesn’t generally give us pleasure commensurate with the investment. Experiences matter far more. Sure, We’re not willing to live in a shoe box and wear canvas bags on my feet. But, we just boxed up the fine china the wife and I got for our wedding, plus 3 other sets we’ve inherited over the years, with the intention of never unboxing them again. The nice furniture we purchased when building our “dream home” 20 years ago? Trashed by pets, kids and age. Now, replaced by newer pedestrian pieces that may or may not fit into a near-future downsized residence. Our “dream home” is simply too much unused square footage and too many bathrooms to clean.

The realization of all of this has been freeing for us. It changes how we look at purchases, whether car, furniture, or anything else. We’re closer to “cry less when you buy since we are limited what we want to buy”.
ad2007

Post by ad2007 »

When we were broke, we bought cheap furnitures. They tend not to last.

The expensive furnitures we have now should be fine for a long time. We see no need to replace just for looks as we were very conservative in our selection. The kids may want some of these pieces but more likely sold off or donated when we die.

Unlike cars, good furnitures should last a lifetime, no?
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

We just bought a number of new furniture items. The most expensive were the leather recliners, real leather.

We are not high end buyers, but I try to buy furniture made in the US if possible. That leads to higher prices by itself. But heirloom? Nope, we had some given to us that we replaced and we couldn't even donate some of it.

Outside of furniture is a different story, I spent $10k on a 130 year old, hollow, wooden box. :D
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Luckywon wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:05 amPicture please, sometimes worth a thousand words..... :sharebeer
Dining room furniture was purchased about 45 years ago in Hong Kong while visiting the factory. The exact same furniture is found in many Chinese restaurants that I have eaten in and can still be purchased today. The unseen table is covered in clothes from the dryer because that's where we put our clothes after they come out of the dryer. Original artwork by Peyton Carmichael, an Alabama artist.
Last edited by livesoft on Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio »

When it comes to furniture you have to know yourself. If you like quality and like the idea of having pieces for a lifetime then buy them. If you know you will want to remodel in 10 years buy ikea. I make a lot of our furniture and I like the satisfaction of it. It is made well and will last our lifetime and maybe longer but if my wife tires of it then I'm ok with letting it go. Other than chairs most furniture will last just fine, even ikea stuff, if you don't abuse it. Heck, even ikea chairs and sofas will last long enough unless you have kids jumping on them. So buy what suits your needs. One trick I'll pass on about ikea, and similar pieces, is to add a little glue to the dowel joints. Make sure you are assembling it correctly and add glue. That will significantly strengthen the joints.
TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio »

livesoft wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:56 am
Luckywon wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:05 amPicture please, sometimes worth a thousand words..... :sharebeer
Dining room furniture was purchased about 45 years ago in Hong Kong while visiting the factory. The exact same furniture is found in many Chinese restaurants that I have eaten in and can still be purchased today. The unseen table is covered in clothes from the dryer because that's where we put our clothes after they come out of the dryer. Original artwork by Peyton Carmichael, an Alabama artist.

That's a nice piece, livesoft.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

TonyDAntonio wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:47 amThat's a nice piece, livesoft.
Thanks. The entire set was inherited from my spouse's parents, so it cost us nothing except a U-haul rental.

When we lived temporarily in Europe, we bought used and also from Ikea before Ikea came to the US. We sold all that furniture before moving back to the US. So I think I understand the spectrum of responses in this thread.
Last edited by livesoft on Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

oldfort wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:04 pm From a finance perspective, with unnecessary spending, and an environmental perspective, with unnecessary waste, it seems crazy to me people would throw away perfectly good furniture because it looks out of date or isn't in some "modern" style.
Tastes change, sometimes you just want to update. Same thing could be said with updating kitchens, bathrooms, etc. The cabinets, sinks, showers are all still functional but many people want a new style, updated, etc.

Or if you move, your current furniture may not "go" with the design of your new house. Many instances where it makes sense to get rid of "perfectly good furniture".
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Maybe broken man doesn’t realize the 90’s are seriously back in style :wink:
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

totallynotsure wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:04 pm what are your thoughts on this mantra? i think it makes sense - for certain items.

right now my wife and i are furniture shopping. i could spend $1500 on something that might last 8 years or $3500 on an heirloom piece that might last 25+.

We went through this the past few years since buying a new home. We have totally evolved with our thoughts on this. Before we bought these big and heavy pieces that “our kids could have someday”. Oak with stain. Expensive. Now we don’t even care for it.

We started to realize “good luck with that” and realize for us at least, what a waste. We have IKEA near Philly and have gone there a bunch of times. Low cost up to much higher costs.

I now prefer much cheaper (but not fall apart stuff) and not have to be so uptight about the care. If I need another small kitchen table in 15 years, who cares? The one I bought was awesome for $700 four years ago.

I realized that what I would spend after 20 years, and like better, was much less than a large heavy stained piece.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

livesoft,

A) If you bought it about 45 years ago, the wood itself probably worth a lot more than the chair. You may be able to buy the chair with the same design now but the wood would be substantially inferior. The chair is probably based on a design of about 1,000+ years old. If you ever want to get rid of it, don't sell it cheap. Find some Chinese furniture expert to get a good price.

B) I bought a set of dining table plus chair in Asia for about 20+ years. It is no longer possible to find the same set with the same quality of the woods. All the bigger trees are no longer there.

KlangFool

P.S.: Look around your chair and see whether you can find any nails and/or screws. If you don't, it is a chair built traditionally with wood fitting. It is worth a lot more.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

My home is not my "forever" home, therefore, my furniture doesn't have to be "forever" furniture either.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

Much obliged by your response! 😁 I have to confess I was suspecting something very stodgy but that piece has a solid timeless charm, IMO. But what on earth is the electronic device with antenna on top of it? Looks like from the same era you bought the furniture... 😌
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

KlangFool wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:17 amA) If you bought it about 45 years ago, ...
P.S.: Look around your chair and see whether you can find any nails and/or screws. If you don't, it is a chair built traditionally with wood fitting. It is worth a lot more.
We did not buy it, but the in-laws did. The chairs have no screws nor nails, but the table does have screws. FWIW, the unseen chair cushions were replaced by ordering new ones from China and as you can imagine, they fit perfectly as this design has been unchanged for years and years.
Luckywon wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:43 am But what on earth is the electronic device with antenna on top of it? Looks like from the same era you bought the furniture... 😌
Not from same era, but a two-way shortwave radio in its charging station for the community emergency response team member of the household.
Last edited by livesoft on Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Lee_WSP wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:34 am My home is not my "forever" home, therefore, my furniture doesn't have to be "forever" furniture either.
Well said and really how I am looking at things anymore. After this home I plan to downsize to an adult community. Hopefully a condo.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

livesoft wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:07 am
Luckywon wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:43 am But what on earth is the electronic device with antenna on top of it? Looks like from the same era you bought the furniture... 😌
Not from same era, but a two-way shortwave radio in its charging station for the community emergency response team member of the household.
Ah, thank you. Another comment-I love the lace tablecloths. Beautiful and timeless-they look just like the ones in my home growing up.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:28 pm Figure out if you value "fashion" and "trends" more than "it's quality! I've had it for 20 plus years!". And then buy according to those values.

If you value fashion/trends I would buy less expensive trendy/fashionable stuff and be content knowing you will be able to scratch the "I must be trendy/fashionable" itch when it occurs in the near future.

I like the look of "craftsman" furniture. I have one super expensive chair and then filled in with other less expense (sometimes 2nd hand) chairs/sofa/lamps/tables that go with the chair. Everything ties together with a trendy color palette and "mid century" vibe. Before the "mid century" vibe the expensive chair fit in with a different color palette and a more "country" vibe in chairs/couch/lamps/tables. Who knows what the next trendy vibe I will go with or what color palette - I can say the expensive chair will still be there. (it's really comfy and nice to sit in).

(I've currently got friends who are bemoaning their "dated" kitchens - they did total guts 15 years ago. They will probably do it again (rip out the 40K of work/expense and spend that much again). I have friends/relatives who tore out kitchens (dated because they were 20 years old) and replaced it all in lovely shades of gray so their house would sell faster/for more.)
I think this is spot on. I have never been trendy. I buy what appeals to me.

I think there are some styles that will always be available. I just inherited a dining room set which multiple milleniums have commented is cool. The style is early american - Hickcock cherry chairs.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

it's a good idea but in practice, you won't know what that ultimate "once" thing is until you've actually gone through the journey.

now your high-end "once" will need to be replaced with a higher-end "once", and then later another higher-end "once".
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Katietsu wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:29 pm
oldfort wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:50 pm
This absolutely makes sense for wood furniture. I know people in their 60s using bedroom furniture bought when they were kids, which they then took with them when they moved out. Provided you're willing to refinish it, quality wood furniture can literally last from the time you stop wetting the bed to the time they ship you off to the nursing home.
Not yet in my sixties, but not too far off anymore. Much of our wood furniture is older than we are having been given to us in our twenties from our grandparents. I suspect most is 60-80 years old. I prefer to call it vintage. Fortunately, no honey colored oak- that is what I react to as outdated. I suspect the greys that are working their way into furniture stains these days will look very outdated in less than a decade.
Fortunately, no honey colored oak- that is what I react to as outdated.

Yep. No kidding! I have a dining room full!

Bought it new in 1989. 32 years, if we replace it next year. I think we have gotten our money's worth out of it. Pretty sure we won't need to buy furniture for a 30 year interval this time.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

If you own the home you live in, and furniture is matched to the style of the house, it will remain in style as long as you live in the home.
Risk is not a guarantor of return.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

Northern Flicker wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:59 pm If you own the home you live in, and furniture is matched to the style of the house, it will remain in style as long as you live in the home.
Or until you renovate the home.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Lee_WSP wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:10 pm
Northern Flicker wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:59 pm If you own the home you live in, and furniture is matched to the style of the house, it will remain in style as long as you live in the home.
Or until you renovate the home.
Yeah, no kidding. Somewhere along the way wallpaper lost it's allure. Also carpeting, harvest gold / avocado green kitchen appliances....the list goes on.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

JoMoney wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:24 pm Being willing to throw it away doesn't necessarily mean it goes into the garbage. If it's "perfectly good", might just as easily be picked up by a thrift store or otherwise finding a new owner...
If you live in a busy city like Los Angeles, lots of things can simply be put at the curb, with or without a FREE sign, and they will be gone within an hour. Especially if they have any metal - there's folks in trucks roaming around all day looking for that.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

We have a dining room table built by my great grandfather 120-130 years ago. There are five leaves, and we can easily fit 12 people around it. I really like it and think it’s cool to be using something built by an ancestor I never met and that’s been in the family for so long. I don’t know if either of our children will want it, though.
Gabelli2020

Post by Gabelli2020 »

We have 3 big dogs. All furniture is old or soon to be old. My wife has never seen a side table she couldn’t water stain. Moving means calling Habitat.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

My mom is in her 70s and has always planned on leaving us her furniture, and assumes we will like it. She has these gawdy wingback chairs, an old creaky dinner table and some other stuff we have no use for and certainly no room for. She already gave us a table that we put in the garage because we have no place for it in the house.
Vogatrice

Post by Vogatrice »

This is us too:
I spent the money have many 25+ year old pieces.... high quality teak, that's how I roll(ed).
We just moved overseas. Trying to get rid of the 24 teak bookcases and 3 queen bedroom sets with nightstands and dressers and, and, and...was a nightmare. The few used furniture places who would talk to me acted like they were doing me a huge favour. One even called to yell at me when I sold some things she'd been snobby about to someone else, about how out of the goodness of her heart she was willing to help me etc.

Because it wasn't "mid-century" teak, it was only 1990s teak, it was all worth nothing. We still like it, so we moved the pieces we will still use plus a few we couldn't unload. But the moving cost vs reacquisition costs were probably equivalent. And some of it arrived damaged.

Then there is the 100+ year old oak curved glass china cabinet from my grandma and the Noritake china my dad purchased in Japan during his Navy years (post-Korea but still a looooong time ago). No one wants it, including me. But I moved it out of sheer sentiment and because I had a container to fill anyway. STUFF. It is definitely owning me, not the other way around.

All this to say - don't invest too much in furniture but buy what you like and keep it forever, as you have no other choice.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

My criteria for buying smaller items is whether I can move them for cleaning or as I redesign my rooms. Last year, I became interested in starting vegetables and flowers indoors. I ordered a number of metal bookcases from Amazon that I put together myself in about 10 minutes. I also have tables in my study that fold up and require no tools for construction.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

We don't do that with furniture :D
After a few years it gets boring using, looking at the same furniture.
Its not very bogleheadish but that's what we do with furniture.
But many other things we do follow that mantra.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

stoptothink wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:01 pm ...Other things like tables; do people actually break tables? ...
You haven't met my 5 year old.

We buy Rooms-to-go type of furniture (on the high side of low end) for two reasons 1) said 5 year old 2) we like changing it up every 4-5 years. Our dining table is from costco - they have great deals on dining table with chairs included once or twice a year - $800-$900.

Our previous two sofas have sold within days for surprising amounts, so we're not too concerned with being able to get rid of furniture.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

new2bogle wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:12 am
stoptothink wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:01 pm ...Other things like tables; do people actually break tables? ...
You haven't met my 5 year old.

We buy Rooms-to-go type of furniture (on the high side of low end) for two reasons 1) said 5 year old 2) we like changing it up every 4-5 years. Our dining table is from costco - they have great deals on dining table with chairs included once or twice a year - $800-$900.

Our previous two sofas have sold within days for surprising amounts, so we're not too concerned with being able to get rid of furniture.
My 5yr old (along with his 8yr old sister) competes in wrestling, jiu jitsu, and muy thai; they are rambunctious and physically aggressive, to say the least. But, they haven't destroyed any furniture...although their friends have punched a hole in our wall and underneath our couch.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

When it comes to furniture, it's always hand me downs from family or IKEA for us. With kids and pets, it gets so much wear and tear, it's not worth spending big money at this point.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

livesoft wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:43 pmAlmost all of our furniture is over 25 years old and the dining room is almost 40 years old.
95% of people (younger than yourself) who walk into your home immediately think "Grandparents house" :)
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
Paul69

Post by Paul69 »

28 years ago we bought a very expensive dining room set. We used it 3-4 times a year. We are now getting close to retirement and it seems a separate dining room is not a popular option in retirement homes....even if we wanted to move it to our new home.

If I had to do it over I don't think we would have bought it, let alone much of the other furniture we bought. Seems as though as the house got bigger we now had empty rooms that had to have something in it. Don't get on the hamster wheel......
gr7070

Post by gr7070 »

On the surface, that mantra itself is sound.

The problem is the math doesn't work out as often as one might think. Depending upon the item, it's not unusual to be better off financially in buying a "disposable" version. Buying cheaper and more often is often an overall better option.

Or in the terms of your subject title: buy cheaper, more often; never cry

A corollary I also hate is "you get what you pay for". Nope! One gets whatever it is they buy. That's it.
Paying more doesn't ensure it's any better.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

I think it depends on what you're talking about.

For furniture? No. Nobody wants your old furniture, including your kids. They may say they want it when you move into assisted living, but that is just them working to get you to let go of all that old stuff nobody wants. Most of it will end up in a dumpster or given away/sold for cheap on Craigslist.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

HomerJ wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:41 pm
livesoft wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:43 pmAlmost all of our furniture is over 25 years old and the dining room is almost 40 years old.
95% of people (younger than yourself) who walk into your home immediately think "Grandparents house" :)
Until they see the big screen TV that covers almost the entire wall of the game room.
Afty

Post by Afty »

Speaking of inheriting furniture, my parents left me some heirloom furniture when they passed away. It's beautiful but uncomfortable, and I have no room for it in my house. So it's been sitting in a storage unit for the last 6 years. Looking back, I should have sold it in the estate sale despite my parents' wish that I keep the furniture.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

mrspock wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:27 pm
livesoft wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:43 pm,
The "modern" furniture you see today.... that stuff is going to be laughably out of date in 10-15 years. It will be the stuff small children look at and laugh at. It will scream "early 2000s". It's like every time I step foot in a kitchen or bathroom with super modern "clean" looking cabinets, I'm like...well.... this will be all worthless in 10-15 years.

If your tastes are more "traditional"/timeless -- e.g. you want to decorate like your house looks like it's out of a 1920s or 1930s movie, then stepping up for quality might make more sense. I'm definitely in this more traditional camp, and I'll drop $3k on a quality made in the USA club chair because it's timeless, I'll have it for decades.
Also depends on your house. Our wasn't new in 1920. :happy On the parlor floor the furniture matches the style of the house, and the pieces themselves while no newer than 25 yrs old aren't any more dated than the house is. Although they were only fairly expensive. The style in family room, semi-basement floor, is more modern. Also that room has been inhabited off and on by dogs (grand dogs stay there time to time now) who along with small kids (though that was long ago for us) don't go well with expensive furniture. On the same floor the kitchen table is new from when we renovated the kitchen a few years ago, Amish handmade and quite expensive, wife wanted it. But it looks a little shopworn now from everyday use, not sure that was a great idea. The new cabinets were less high end, hard for those to look good for decades though no matter.