Hassle free luxury car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
atikovi

Re: Hassle free luxury car

Post by atikovi »

WS1 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:26 pm
atikovi wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:12 pm
WS1 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:03 pm the real answer is a subaru outback with eyesight to handle the grinding stop and go traffic and giant tires to handle the roads.
Those shopping Lexus wouldn't be caught dead in an Outback. Heck, I wouldn't be either.
Meh, I prefer soulless tool for the job + impractical joy machine.
Most people have terrible taste(budweiser/mcdonald’s/supermarket bread) and weird attachments to consumer brands. The car as status symbol is the realm of old boomers and young men with their first paycheck. Is my bias showing?
Sounds like you view cars as an appliance to get you from one place to another. Nothing wrong with that. But for those that feel, getting there is half the fun, want to drive something that will excite them.
WS1

Post by WS1 »

atikovi wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:49 pm
WS1 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:26 pm
atikovi wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:12 pm
WS1 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:03 pm the real answer is a subaru outback with eyesight to handle the grinding stop and go traffic and giant tires to handle the roads.
Those shopping Lexus wouldn't be caught dead in an Outback. Heck, I wouldn't be either.
Meh, I prefer soulless tool for the job + impractical joy machine.
Most people have terrible taste(budweiser/mcdonald’s/supermarket bread) and weird attachments to consumer brands. The car as status symbol is the realm of old boomers and young men with their first paycheck. Is my bias showing?
Sounds like you view cars as an appliance to get you from one place to another. Nothing wrong with that. But for those that feel, getting there is half the fun, want to drive something that will excite them.
Nope, you keep ignoring my Atom suggestion. I come from a family of car obsessives and have owned/long term borrowed vehicles such as - 66 mustang, 5 series BMW, honda prelude, and honda s2000. I love driving, but what I can’t stress clearly enough is that OP lives in the NYC metro, a place I find deeply awful to drive around. The BQE ain’t the Blue Ridge Parkway.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

WS1 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:16 pm Nope, you keep ignoring my Atom suggestion.
Which ignores OP's desires.
nydoc wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:59 pm I am thinking of getting a luxury coupe/sedan.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

anoop wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:51 pm
queso wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:00 pm It's too cheap for your price range, but I had my eye on an M2 Comp 6MT as a fun car if the bug were to bite me. Wife won't approve it unless I sell some bikes though and that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. :happy
You must live in a place with really good roads. The M2 rides very harsh. The novelty of such a car would wear off very quickly unless you take it to the track. The M2 doesn't solve BMW's numb steering problem, so in that respect, even the base Giulia would be more enjoyable for daily driving.
I have an older M2 (2018). It does ride quite firmly, and I wouldn't suggest it as main car for daily driving around inner NY area (where I live) let alone the City proper, or other places with particularly bad roads like we have. But it's loads of fun on more remote public roads and a comfortable enough highway cruiser given just reasonable pavement quality, IME. I mainly go with the consensus of M2 owners I've seen in polls on forums: 'firm like it should be'. :happy I've enjoyed it a lot on multi-k mile road trips though have never tracked it. I only ever sat in a Giulia at the NY Auto Show, surprisingly tacky interior was my take away. And apparently it lives down to Alpha's reputation for terrible reliability which would rule it out for the very long trips which have been the bulk of miles on the M2. But I've never heard anyone say Giulia's aren't fun to drive, and to just drive around the NY area (plenty of dealers) on a lease reliability isn't as important.
h82goslw

Post by h82goslw »

Ok I’m throwing out a very different car...and it’s a domestic.
BIL just picked up a Cadillac CT-5 V Sport, twin turbo V6 and room for the kiddies in back. I drove it and loved it (and I’ve owned many, many cars).
RootSki

Post by RootSki »

Care by Volvo. 100% hassle free, including insurance. Just pay fuel.
https://jalopnik.com/you-can-get-a-new- ... 1845504117
Care By Volvo is the automaker’s alternative to leasing or financing a new vehicle, offering instead a subscription program starting at $650 per month covering insurance, tire protection, maintenance and other services on a new car. And now you can swap out for another new ride after only four months.
{snip}
Care by Volvo is available for residents in US states excluding: CA, FL, HI, MS, NC, ND, NY and SD.
I bet you don't even have to go to the dealer to take delivery. For sure, they will pick it up when it requires service.

https://www.volvocars.com/us/care-by-volvo/
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

For hassle free NYC luxury I would get something used (already dinged up), small enough to park easily, reliable, good in snow, and comfy for stop and go city traffic. RX350 AWD would do the trick nicely. With your budget you could easily get one for summer and one for winter so you didn’t have to swap snow tires off and on.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Mercedes S-class, Audi A8/S8, Maserati Quattroporte.
apex84

Post by apex84 »

There is enough variety out there that you will have to decide what matters to you.

Fastest: BMW M, Mercedes AMG, Audi RS
Sporty: BMW M series, second tier AMG, Audi S
Comfort: go up a size in car and get the standard model (BMW 5 instead of 3, MB E instead of C, Audi 6 instead of 4).

We currently live in Chicago. I’ve always been a huge car enthusiast. Currently have a BMW M3 (E92). Many years ago, I did a fair number of track events (before I had the M3). In my daily use, over time, I’m wanting a more comfortable car, so leaning towards a Mercedes E450 All Terrain wagon to blend practicality with a smooth ride over our potholed streets. These are both German cars but have little in common.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

snackdog wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:47 am For hassle free NYC luxury I would get something used (already dinged up), small enough to park easily, reliable, good in snow, and comfy for stop and go city traffic. RX350 AWD would do the trick nicely. With your budget you could easily get one for summer and one for winter so you didn’t have to swap snow tires off and on.
That's a very nice vehicle, but if that's your definition of small, I wonder what is medium and large. Suburban? What's the other?

UX/NX/LX -- the UX or NX will be easier to park.

Are you suggesting swapping summer and winter vehicle instead of tires? Where would you store the winter tires in NYC? And parking might exceed the cost of car payments.

Audi Allroad?
z91

Post by z91 »

Lexus.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Lexus LS or LX. I still have my LS430 and LX470. Trouble free.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

snackdog wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:47 am For hassle free NYC luxury I would get something used (already dinged up), small enough to park easily, reliable, good in snow, and comfy for stop and go city traffic. RX350 AWD would do the trick nicely. With your budget you could easily get one for summer and one for winter so you didn’t have to swap snow tires off and on.
I doubt the intention for a brand new $100k car is to park it on the street in NY regularly, though who knows. Also I don't think you need snow tires in the NY area v all season tires, especially the 'heat island' right near or in the City. Our Lexus SUV does fine on all seasons in winter here (<1 mile as crow flies from Manhattan), although we don't absolutely have to drive either. That wasn't specified, but it's common for people around here to have cars they don't have to use every day. If a sporty car comes with *summer* tires (OP mentioned LC500, I believe it would) though then they should be switched out for winter tires if the car is going to be used in NY winter except to charge the battery on warmer days. Our M2 has a set of summer and winter wheel/tires (which are also different sizes). I've considered selling off the winter set because I haven't ended up using the car much in winter, but with summer tires I'd have to consider it unavailable in winter except on relatively warm and dry days. That itself might be considered non 'hassle free'.
WS1

Post by WS1 »

atikovi wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:28 pm
WS1 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:16 pm Nope, you keep ignoring my Atom suggestion.
Which ignores OP's desires.
nydoc wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:59 pm I am thinking of getting a luxury coupe/sedan.
I was jumping on the band wagon of trying to convince the OP their statement of "too old for a sports car" was not a great take.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

If that's the case, put me down for anything from Lotus.
retire14

Tesla

Post by retire14 »

Go test drive one.
redmaw

Post by redmaw »

Here's my take...sporty and luxury are somewhat opposites, so you need to decide how much of each you want. Pick a body style and size...with a child in a car seat in would go midsize sedan. Go drive at least 1 car from each major brand...5 series, a6, e-class, xf, maybe even a tesla model s. See what you like. If these aren't sporty enough drive the performance version...m5 etc. Not luxurious enough...I'm not sure I can help, maybe try the next size up since those are more $ and generally tuned more for comfort.

I've driven a lot of cars, and I rarely agree with what I read in the auto magazines, or what gets spouted in threads like this. Every time I shop for a new car I go out with a preconceived notion of what I will buy drive 10 or 20 cars....and end up in something else. That said for me jaguar hit the sweet spot on comfort/performance, and for 3 years i wouldn't worry about reliability either, though they have trimmed back their range recently, so no more xfr, which would have been my recommendation.

Right now but in had a 100k car coupon, but had to pick without driving...m5.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

redmaw wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:57 pm Right now but in had a 100k car coupon, but had to pick without driving...m5.
I let my preconceived notions have more sway than you do, and I test drive fewer cars. :happy But we agree on the bottom line, the best $100k-ish car covering a range of 'luxury' v 'sporty', putting aside issues of short/medium term depreciation or medium/long term reliability/maintenance*: M5. Assuming that is any real interest in true sportiness, which a lot of people really don't have. They mean sporty looking or just jumps when you mash down on the accelerator from a stop light or on a highway on-ramp, you don't need an M car for that.

*sometimes exaggerated on this forum for German cars IMO, but let's assume a fun 3 yrs on lease.
VinoVita

Post by VinoVita »

Have owned BMW 7 series, MB 350, & Acura MDX. Purchased a 2015 Porsche Panamera 4s last June with 22,500 mi., for 44k! A depreciation drop of over 60 % in 5 years. What a beautiful car!
JD Powers rates it 4.5 out of 5 in reliability.

I have a great Indy mechanic who steered me away from a gorgeous 2017 BMW 750i to the Porsche.

IMO the Panamera has everything going for it in a luxury car. For this 67 yr. old, it’s stupid fast & brings a smile to my face every time I fire it up!
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

I hear people like their Panamera's. Interesting about the depreciation! Good to know for me since I'm looking for a new car since I gave my old one (VW GTI) to my daughter and am driving a 14yo pickup truck.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

VinoVita wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:41 pm Have owned BMW 7 series, MB 350, & Acura MDX. Purchased a 2015 Porsche Panamera 4s last June with 22,500 mi., for 44k! A depreciation drop of over 60 % in 5 years. What a beautiful car!
JD Powers rates it 4.5 out of 5 in reliability.

I have a great Indy mechanic who steered me away from a gorgeous 2017 BMW 750i to the Porsche.

IMO the Panamera has everything going for it in a luxury car. For this 67 yr. old, it’s stupid fast & brings a smile to my face every time I fire it up!
My Porsche owning/loving friends swear up and down, that they are very reliable. And that repairs and maintenance are reasonable. the impression I get is that in terms of reliability/cost after purchase, they are superior to the other German brands.....
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

In my personal opinion, the one thing that most contributes to a hassle free experience is having a dealership that will come to my home or business to pick up my car for service and leave me a loaner. I have this now, for no additional fee above the lease payment, on a three year lease. Yes, I know that this doesn't mean it is free, but now that I have tried it, I would not want to go back.

Ralph
z91

Post by z91 »

Lexus.
avecmoi

Post by avecmoi »

Assuming you have a place for your own personal charger at night: another vote for Model S, or wait next year for the Plaid if you want luxury. Have a Model 3 long range non-performance dual motor myself. Love the driving performance but it doesn't have the luxury of a Model S. Smooth sub 4 sec 0-60 always puts a smile on my face.

Still, with NY city driving, you will rarely use the performance. 4 wheel driving would be recommended for when it snows.

Good luck!

Disclosure: Own TSLA stock!
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Got nothing but love for Lexus service!
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

For those that had to travel to buy a Lexus, What do you do for maintenance? Will the local Toyota dealer work on it?
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

nydoc wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:14 am From what I have seen, Porsche seems to be more reliable compared to other German cars.
Porsche’s can have issues too. I’ve owned a 2006, a 2012, and a 2016 and all of them had issues of varying degrees.

Consider that Porsche doesn’t include maintenance in the new car warranty period, so you’re looking at @ $2,000 for 3 years- likely more than that if you use Porsche Manhattan rather than a dealer outside of the city.
wander

Post by wander »

lostdog wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:22 am For those that had to travel to buy a Lexus, What do you do for maintenance? Will the local Toyota dealer work on it?
I handle maintenance myself. I've gone to Lexus dealers only to buy parts. Labor is free with the best care.
catdoctor

Post by catdoctor »

hunoraut wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:16 am
FireSekr wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:02 am A Lexus isn’t sporty....
If you want a sporty luxury car Audi, BMW, or Mercedes are on another level
Lexus is the few manufacturers left with a naturally aspirated V8. It revs to 7300RPM. It's probably one of the sportiest motors left in production.
But do they all have that ugly grill?
delamer

Post by delamer »

lostdog wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:22 am For those that had to travel to buy a Lexus, What do you do for maintenance? Will the local Toyota dealer work on it?
I knew someone who owned in RX350 who lived in a resort/beach town about 1.5 hours from the nearest Lexus dealer. The dealer picked up the vehicle, did the maintenance, and returned it. No charge for pickup/delivery, as far as I know. (This was pre-pandemic.)
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

nydoc wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:08 pm Any comments about leasing?
You could get a wet-lease. All maintenance down to the windshield wipers thrown in.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Lexus.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

I agree with other comments about the value of leasing in your situation. Viewed through the leasing prism, some cars lease better than others. Among the candidates already mentioned, BMW is known for leasing well.

Before proceeding with a lease however, hie thee over to https://forum.leasehackr.com/and educate yourself about the intricacies of leasing. It is easy to get snowed by various numbers that do not figure into a purchase
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

delamer wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:43 am
I knew someone who owned in RX350 who lived in a resort/beach town about 1.5 hours from the nearest Lexus dealer. The dealer picked up the vehicle, did the maintenance, and returned it. No charge for pickup/delivery, as far as I know. (This was pre-pandemic.)
That’s awesome. That type of service could make almost any car “no hassle”. Wonderful.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

catdoctor wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:00 pm
hunoraut wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:16 am Lexus is the few manufacturers left with a naturally aspirated V8. It revs to 7300RPM. It's probably one of the sportiest motors left in production.
But do they all have that ugly grill?
Yes. But it looks tolerable on the more aggressive GSF, and in some colors it kinda works too.
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

nydoc wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:59 pm Hi,
I am thinking of getting a luxury coupe/sedan. My plan is to keep it only for 2-3 years and have no intention to do any self maintenance. Occasionally our preschooler will also travel in it. Budget is max 100K. I am leaning towards leasing in stead or buying and reselling. Any recommendations? So far I have liked Lexus LC500.
Thanks.
I enjoyed owning the S550
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
Topic Author
nydoc

Porsche as a hassle free luxury car

Post by nydoc »

[Thread merged into here, see below (next page). --admin LadyGeek]

After discussing here and with friends, I have decided to lease a Porsche sedan as my hassle free luxury car. Now the question is which one and how to do it?
Thanks.
Last edited by nydoc on Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whodidntante

Re: Porsche as a hassle free luxury car

Post by whodidntante »

Since they are hassle free and depreciate like a rock, I would say a Porsche-UV like a Macan or Cayenne. Well used, hard boiled, super cheap.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

Ummmm.... go to a Porsche dealership and let a salesman do their job?

Or, get a gently used 2018 Camry coming off lease so that you don’t get banned or shunned from this community.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

Try to get a friend to buy one for you. :twisted:
regularguy455

Post by regularguy455 »

Can’t go wrong with a 911. The turbo will impress.
edge

Post by edge »

1). ‘Luxury’ does not come to mind when thinking Porsche. ‘Sport’ does.
2). There is only one Porsche ‘sedan’ and it’s not their best effort. Ok. If you include the Taycan there are two.
3) if you are leasing I don’t think you need to worry too much about brand wrt reliability.
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

They come in two sizes large and medium. The larger one hauls more stuff and is more more roomy in the rear seat, but the smaller one is much more fun to drive. In 2015 and (January!) 2020 my wife and I went to the dealer with the intent to buy 911's, but ended up with Macans - the first a turbo and the second an S. We discovered later that the Cayenne wouldn't have fit into the space we had allocated to a car in our garage!

We looked at the closest offerings from Mercedes and BMW and tried to be more thrifty by seriously considering Lexus and Volvo. The former, although cheaper, lacked the fit and finish and "drivability" of the Macans. The latter, much much cheaper, were of excellent quality, but they lacked the panache and, of course, the drivability of the Porsche. But the Macan is NOT a 911 - not even close.

Get the first leather package and at least the 14 way seats. Forgo the performance enhancements unless you really do intend to speed regularly. The most important safety option is the lane assist (IMHO essential), but we find the surround view always helpful too.

Servicing at the dealer is unnerving as they dig for every dollar they can get you to part with. Independents are also expensive (vs Jiffy Lube) but they know that word-of-mouth will sustain their business as SUV's become a much great proportion of Porsche business on offer. I actually trust my independent.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

No vehicle is "hassle free". Nice justification for a fun toy though.
Enjoy! :sharebeer
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

Enjoy both the 911 and Macan no problems. Panamera Is their sedan never owned one just don’t look right to me. I am sure they are good cars. It’s more about driving than being pampered.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I believe the only sedan Porsche makes is the Panamera. So I would say your decision is an easy one.

FWIW I think the Panamera is one ugly car.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I am not a fan of ICE vehicles for environmental reasons, and I didn’t want to like my wife’s new Porsche Cayenne Turbo, etc etc etc, but it is luxurious and more fun to drive and ride in than my Tesla.

Did I say that out loud? :oops:

If you can swing it, get 4 wheel steering. Awesome.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

If by Porsche sedan you man Panamera, they may or may not be hassle free. The Panamera ranks dead last for reliability out of 30 luxury vehicles on repairpal.com.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

nydoc wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:12 pm After discussing here and with friends, I have decided to lease a Porsche sedan as my hassle free luxury car. Now the question is which one and how to do it?
Thanks.
I only know of the Panamera as a Porsche sedan so that's an easy answer. You might have better luck with the ins and outs of leasing a Porsche on a respective Porsche forum. Not sure if I would classify the Panamera as "hassle free" though but if you're leasing, all repairs/routine maintenance should be included. Best to find a dealer that will get the car from you, deliver a courtesy car, and bring it back to you when finished.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

nydoc wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:12 pm After discussing here and with friends, I have decided to lease a Porsche sedan as my hassle free luxury car. Now the question is which one and how to do it?
Thanks.
What did your other friends tell you? Have they owned or leased one? The Panamera is their only real sedan but their SUVs fit the same bill basically. No car is hassle free including a Porsche. Go to the dealer and find one to lease (preferably CPO for me) after you've driven several and done your due diligence.

Prepare for the incoming "here's what you should buy instead" replies as they are forthcoming!! :D