"ON JACK BOGLE (1929-2019)" by Jason Zweig

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

"ON JACK BOGLE (1929-2019)" by Jason Zweig

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

A friend sent me this wonderful article about our namesake:

"On Jack Bogle (1929-2019)"

Best wishes.
Taylor
Warren Buffett on Jack Bogle: “If a statue is ever erected to honor the person who has done the most for American investors, the hands down choice should be Jack Bogle."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: "ON JACK BOGLE (1929-2019)" by Jason Zweig

Post by abuss368 »

That is an amazing summary! I wonder if any additional books will be written about Jack Bogle’s impact on the investing world as we move forward. There is so much that is still to be told and remembered.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:51 am That is an amazing summary! I wonder if any additional books will be written about Jack Bogle’s impact on the investing world as we move forward. There is so much that is still to be told and remembered.
+1
I sure hope someone will write a great book about Jack.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore »

bondsr4me wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:10 pm
abuss368 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:51 am That is an amazing summary! I wonder if any additional books will be written about Jack Bogle’s impact on the investing world as we move forward. There is so much that is still to be told and remembered.
bondsr4me:

Someone did:

The Man in the Arena

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom:
“I challenge the growing trend in our society to give numbers a credence that they simply don’t deserve, all the while assigning far less importance to the things that can’t be expressed with numbers – qualities such as wisdom, integrity, ethics, and commitment.”
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:34 pm
bondsr4me wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:10 pm
bondsr4me:

Someone did:

The Man in the Arena

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom:
“I challenge the growing trend in our society to give numbers a credence that they simply don’t deserve, all the while assigning far less importance to the things that can’t be expressed with numbers – qualities such as wisdom, integrity, ethics, and commitment.”
Thanks Taylor.
I looked around at the books I have on Jack and I do have that one....been a while since I looked at it.
I intend to go through it as soon as I'm done the book on Charlie Munger.
Thanks for the link about Jason Z's writings about Jack.
I hope you are doing well.
Don
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Bogleheads:

A friend sent me this wonderful article about our namesake:

"On Jack Bogle (1929-2019)"

Best wishes.
Taylor
Warren Buffett on Jack Bogle: “If a statue is ever erected to honor the person who has done the most for American investors, the hands down choice should be Jack Bogle."
Thank you Taylor for this remarkable article by Jason Zweig. There is so much to explore in this article, it is a remarkable compendium. Must have taken Mr. Zweig quite some time to put it together.
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of [Financial] Wisdom" - Pillar 4: Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained. Eschewing the risk of stocks, therefore, carries a risk of its own.
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

Jason is a great author!
"We have seen much more money made and kept by “ordinary people” who were temperamentally well suited for the investment process than by those who lacked this quality." Ben Graham
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Jason Zweig is an incredible person and writer. I'm sure you'll enjoy this article he wrote in 2016 about his adventures as a young man with his family. It reads like a spell-binding detective story - and gives us clues as to why he often includes art work in his articles and how he became the extraordinary person he is today :D

"A Portrait of the Investing Columnist as a (Very) Young Man"
https://jasonzweig.com/a-portrait-of-th ... young-man/
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of [Financial] Wisdom" - Pillar 4: Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained. Eschewing the risk of stocks, therefore, carries a risk of its own.