Who bought an iPhone 12 Mini, and what do you think?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Who bought an iPhone 12 Mini, and what do you think?

Post by NYCaviator »

In the market for a new iPhone and am looking at the mini, so I'd like to hear what people think who have bought one. I'm especially curious about the battery life and if its as terrible as the review make it seem.
hunoraut

Re: Who bought an iPhone 12 Mini, and what do you think?

Post by hunoraut »

Since it’s been out basically 1 day, way too early for anyone to give meaningful battery experience

The form factor is great though and I’m surprised how quickly humans adapt to new things. My 6.1” phone which seemed normal before, seemed too large now after 1 day of switch. I still think 5.7 5.8” is really a sweet spot, if you do much reading and writing on mobile.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Recent discussion on the Mini...

viewtopic.php?t=329456
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I received the mini on Friday. I like the form factor - it works for me. But I should add, my use of a phone is quite narrow. The most I would have my phone on my person would be 1-2 hours. During that time it would likely be in my pocket.

If you use your phone as a mini-tablet (browsing, video etc) or as an in-house GPS display (where you want to see the display while driving) or similar applications, this is likely not the phone for you.

My wife got the regular iPhone 12 because she uses her phone a lot at home like a tablet and she prefers the larger display. When she carries the phone with her, most of the time it would be in her bag. I have an iPad so I rarely use my phone at home -- in fact, 99% of the time at home it is in my desk drawer.

I can't comment on the battery life but for my purposes, I doubt it will be an issue.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Mine is arriving tomorrow so I’ll post an update once I’ve used it for a few days. Been looking forward to the smaller form factor for years.
TPIR

Post by TPIR »

Got one on Friday - upgrade from a 6.

I held out on any upgrades until 5G so went for this.

Heavy browser user not much video and don’t like my pocket getting weighed down by a phablet so mini spike to me.

Blazing fast vs the 6 - it’s the RAM and processor not the 5G although that’s a touch faster than LTE and wifi.

Seeing how fast it is without 5G i regret waiting so long. My wife has a 6 and we just figured it was LTE and heavy webpages that made things sluggish.

This is like getting broadband after dial up but I don’t think it’s unique to the 12 - anything 10 and higher probably gives this speed.

Screen size is great and crisp just right for browsing and checking markets, Bogleheads.

It feels smaller than the 6 in hand but screen is more spacious but while typing my hand feels a little strained from the different movements to adjust.

My 6 had a Mophie pack so some extra thickness to hold.

Ordered a knockoff Mophie like pack for the 6 so will see if that helps with hand comfort.

That gets us to battery...

It lasted for about 6 or 7 hours of heavy 5G browsing yesterday going from 90 to 20% - better than my 6 but not blown away.

Will see if the Mophie knockoff is needed regularly - probably not given my 6 lasted 4 or so hours.

Screen is apparently much more durable so the protective function of a case becomes more redundant.

That said I dropped it on a stone floor and the black corner got scuffed.

If my hand gets used to this and the battery is decent see no reason to get the full 12 for my use but with only $100 difference it comes down to personal taste more than utility.

Its a 2-3x jump vs my quaint 6.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

jebmke wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:37 am If you use your phone as a mini-tablet (browsing, video etc) or as an in-house GPS display (where you want to see the display while driving) or similar applications, this is likely not the phone for you.
strongly concur with this. it never resonated with me, but i know many people use their mobile as their main - or even ONLY - computing device.

i use a laptop to do anything more than casual browsing and consumption. found that if i need to type something, the keyboard occupies almost half the real estate, so composing things for replies to emails, message boards, etc, is not so much fun. its driven me to use the phone itself a little less -- which is a GOOD thing.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

hunoraut wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:43 am i use a laptop to do anything more than casual browsing and consumption. found that if i need to type something, the keyboard occupies almost half the real estate, so composing things for replies to emails, message boards, etc, is not so much fun. its driven me to use the phone itself a little less -- which is a GOOD thing.
I have a sibling who uses her phone almost exclusively when doing email - rarely even uses a tablet. She doesn't bother to correct erroneous auto-correct so I have taken to responding to the statements or questions exactly as stated even if I know what she meant. Gradually, the behavior modification is taking hold.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

OP,

Got my 12 mini on Friday as well. So far so good.
  • The process of copying my data, settings and apps from my iPhone 8 to the 12 mini went really well. Very Impressed!
  • Not having the home button takes some getting used to! I am still working Through how to do a few things (the swipe to display all open Apps is my biggest hurdle)
  • Facial recognition seems to work well but fails when I have a mask on, need to work through this some more
  • Had to setup Facial Recognition logon for many of my Apps—one time pain.
  • I really like the form factor, makes it easy to carry in my pocket
  • One of our big special-case uses for the phone is as a mobile hot-spot when we are on the road and want Internet access. Looking forward to seeing if there is a noticeable improvement in Cell signal strength.
Good luck!

WoodSpinner
WoodSpinner
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I have not set up facial recognition yet but it appears that one can set up an "alternate" face. This could be you with a mask, I think.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

WoodSpinner wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:54 am
  • Facial recognition seems to work well but fails when I have a mask on, need to work through this some more
Try setting up an alternate appearance with you wearing the mask (won't work if you need the alternate appearance for spouse since there is only one).

Settings > Face ID & Passcode > Set up an Alternate Appearance
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

stan1 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:58 am won't work if you need the alternate appearance for spouse since there is only one)
That is why we simply exchange the lock codes so we can get in to each other's phone if needed by using the lock code for the other phone.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

jebmke wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:14 am
stan1 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:58 am won't work if you need the alternate appearance for spouse since there is only one)
That is why we simply exchange the lock codes so we can get in to each other's phone if needed by using the lock code for the other phone.
Yes, that's what we do too. Some spouses seem to share their devices very frequently and don't seem to care which device a particular spouse is using. We keep our devices separate.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

stan1 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:58 am
WoodSpinner wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:54 am
Try setting up an alternate appearance with you wearing the mask (won't work if you need the alternate appearance for spouse since there is only one).

Settings > Face ID & Passcode > Set up an Alternate Appearance
Thanks for the info!

I was planning on having my spouse as the alternate. Wish they would let us setup more than one!
WoodSpinner
joetro29

Post by joetro29 »

Thoughts on mini vs newer SE?
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

joetro29 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:28 pm Thoughts on mini vs newer SE?
The only advantages I can see with the new SE is cost and Touch ID for those who prefer it. Everything else including processor, display, camera, and battery life seems to be in favor of the mini which is why it’s several hundred dollars more expensive.
illumination

Post by illumination »

I got my iPhone mini 12 delivered a few days ago, I was replacing an iPhone 7 with it.

For some feedback, I'm happy with the purchase overall. I actually slightly prefer the size of the iPhone 7 as it's a bit thinner, but otherwise it's very close to the same size. Screen real estate is actually slightly more on 12 which is great. I just find the regular non-mini iPhone 11 and 12 too large. Picture quality on the screen is excellent. I do miss the home button but I'm getting used to it.

If it wasn't for Covid, the facial ID works really well. But I can't get mine to work without taking off my mask, so things like Apple Pay are a problem in a store. So I took that off and use a numeric password. Also, I have a car mounted iPhone holder and there are times where I have to pick up the phone and put it in front of my face if say I'm using GPS. I would have loved something like a screen that could also read a thumb print and have both systems, but that's probably not feasible.

Battery life is good, but it always is when they are fresh. Right now, after a typical day I have like 50% life left when I charge it at night. On my iPhone 7 even with a newer factory battery replace, I would run out if I didn't charge during the day sometime.

The biggest upgrade for me is the camera, the picture quality is amazing for something in something like "portrait" mode. The speed is also nice, everything seems to load faster. I will say I ran into more roadblocks than I would have liked transferring from the old phone to the new one, just certain apps I had were no longer supported, not all the data carries over, and I had to start over on the initial transfer as it got caught in some sort of loop. Most people would probably be fine.

I would have bought an iPhone SE but I heard feedback that battery life was a real issue and that really is something I hate dealing with. I actually think though most people would be fine with an SE that aren't really into their phones.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Haven't yet, but considering...
NYCaviator wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:51 pm In the market for a new iPhone and am looking at the mini, so I'd like to hear what people think who have bought one. I'm especially curious about the battery life and if its as terrible as the review make it seem.
How terrible? Compared to what? It's longer than the SE2.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-i ... y_id128421

The battery is about half the size of the Max, so not surprising it has less battery life. Display, processor and wireless radios are usually the biggest drain on the battery and this one shares 2/3.
The 5.4-inch iPhone has a 2,227 mAh battery, so it should come as no surprise to see it barely lasting a full working day between charges.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-cri ... 400.0.html

Magsafe charging is pretty quick, and might be even faster with high wattage adapter plugged into lightning charging port.
Using the MagSafe charger, the iPhone 12 mini charged to 33% in 15 minutes and 60% in 30 minutes.
https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/iphone-12-mini

MagSafe Charges 2x Slower Than Wired 20W USB-C Charger
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/10/23/ma ... w-charger/
hdcd

Post by hdcd »

My iphone journey has been 5--> 6s+ --> 11 pro --> 12 mini. The 12 mini has a similar form factor to the 5. After using the 5 for a few years I decided to go big. The 11 pro is an excellent phone but I started having issues with my fingers. I have this bad habit of using my pinky to hold the bottom of the phone. So I am now with the 12 mini.

My impressions.. it's a beautiful phone. Feels great in my hand. I'm kinda bummed there is no telephoto. However the low light pictures are outstanding! This is a huge upgrade.

The battery life will take a few more days to figure out. It does seem less than the 11 pro. But I'm willing to sacrifice some battery time. I'm either at home or in the car so that's not an issue for me.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

climber2020 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:42 pm
joetro29 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:28 pm Thoughts on mini vs newer SE?
The only advantages I can see with the new SE is cost and Touch ID for those who prefer it. Everything else including processor, display, camera, and battery life seems to be in favor of the mini which is why it’s several hundred dollars more expensive.
You say only advatange is cost (and touch id) but that is a big advantage. You can pick up an SE for $150-250 or so if you know where to look or shell out $750 for the mini. There are some advantages but not $500 worth. And some people will like the home button and old school design. The upgrades are incremental at best like the a13 to a14 processor or the camera. Some people want the latest and the best they can get though especially if they want to hold on to it for years.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

jjface wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:11 am You say only advatange is cost (and touch id) but that is a big advantage. You can pick up an SE for $150-250 or so if you know where to look or shell out $750 for the mini. There are some advantages but not $500 worth. And some people will like the home button and old school design. The upgrades are incremental at best like the a13 to a14 processor or the camera. Some people want the latest and the best they can get though especially if they want to hold on to it for years.
the SE is 399 retail vs mini 699 retail (730 SIM free). the SE deals are carrier-locked with dependencies on activations and contracts, so you're already off basis if comparing subsidized vs untethered phone.

the screen goes from 4.7" to 5.4", which is not insignificant. lets adjust to 5.2" if you want to discount the notch real estate.

camera is not incremental, its a few generations older, and significantly lacks the implementation for night photography.

the other biggie is ~1800mah vs 2200mah battery capacity, and that might be the biggest perceived difference. keep in mind difference in battery performance accelerates over time as smaller packs run through more cycles, and hit at extreme state of charges more often, etc.

its not necessary for everyone, but if you use the phone for , say, 3 hours a day, the differences over 1 year works out to literally $1 a day
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

I bought the 12 for more screen space. It does seem somewhat narrow though.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

I received my 12 Mini this morning and have been using it throughout the day. Some initial thoughts:

- I love the size and weight. The form factor reminds me of the iPhone 5, which was my favorite iPhone design, but with a glass back and a bigger, better screen. I went for a run in the mountains earlier, and this phone feels much more comfortable in my pocket than both my XS and 6S before that. It's nice jogging without the big heavy slab bouncing all over the place.

- Battery life will be fine for my purposes. I'm a relatively light user. For reference, my 2 year old iPhone XS is on its original battery and is still at 96% capacity. I don't really use my phone as much as most people, so the smaller battery shouldn't be an issue.

- The stock camera app is not as aggressive with noise reduction on people's faces (this is a good thing). There's more detail and pictures of people aren't as watercolor-like as previous generations, though it's still not as good as a Pixel. I'll probably still be shooting RAW on occasion when I take pictures of people that I may eventually want to blow up and frame.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Old Guy wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:56 am I bought the 12 for more screen space. It does seem somewhat narrow though.
What are you comparing to what other? The Mini is smaller and therefore narrower and shorter than the 12.

The Mini is wider than the 5/5S/SE (2"; one of the target upgrade buyers). It's a tiny bit narrower than the SE2. Less than 1mm by my calculations.
2.27 vs 2.30 inches

Coming from an SE, I think I'd still prefer a little smaller.
Apple iPhone 12 Mini Apple iPhone SE (2020)
Display size, resolution 5.4-inch OLED; 2,340x1,080 pixels 4.7-inch LCD; 1,334x750 pixels
Pixel density 476ppi 326ppi
https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-iphone- ... esides-5g/
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

I was comparing it to my iPhone 7.
bligh

Post by bligh »

I got mine on Friday. My thoughts from using it over the weekend.

1) Battery life is short for how much I use it. It doesn't last through the full day. Granted I am a heavy user.
2) LOVE the form factor and size and how it fits in my hand
3) The screen is crisp and beautiful, but I can notice a step down in brightness from my iPhone XS/11 Pro when out in the sun. I wish the screen was a bit brighter. Maybe it was just in my head, didn't compare them side by side.
4) Thermal issues. The phone kept giving me a phone overheating warning and shutting itself down! This was the most concerning. I was in my car, it wasn't even that hot, and I was using Apple Maps as my GPS for directions. That's all! I switched over to Google Maps and the overheating warnings went away, which means it was likely a software thing and is likely to get fixed in a future update.

Overall, I am not sure I am going to keep it. I am still evaluating. The only real plus for me compared to me XS & 11 Pro is the form factor. Pretty much everything else feels like minuses so far. I just have to decide if the smaller size is worth the trade offs at this point.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

bligh wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:27 pm 1) Battery life is short for how much I use it. It doesn't last through the full day. Granted I am a heavy user.
I'm not a heavy user. Nor have I experimented with anything to reduce battery usage - although I did turn off 5G.

With my old phone, I kept location off unless I needed it. That seemed to help. You can also program it to automatically shut off wifi when you leave home but I haven't tried that yet.
Last edited by jebmke on Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anoop

Post by anoop »

Don't own one.

Here are a couple of known issues:
https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-12/#issues

Here are a bunch of professional reviews:
https://www.macrumors.com/review/iphone-12-mini/
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Old Guy wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:21 pm I was comparing it to my iPhone 7.
The 7 is same form factor as SE2. If my calculations are correct, the screen on the iPhone 12 Mini is 0.03 inches or 3/4 mm narrower. The phone itself is 2.9mm or 0.11 inches narrower. You might be noticing the narrowing on the phone more.

1334 x 750 pixels, 16:9 ratio, 326 PPI 2340 x 1080 pixels, 477 PPI
5.44 x 2.64 x 0.28 inches (138.3 x 67.1 x 7.1 mm) 5.18 x 2.53 x 0.29 inches (131.5 x 64.2 x 7.4 mm)
4.87 oz (138.0 g) 4.76 oz (135.0 g)
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compa ... 9815,11333
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Three days along with the 12-mini.

Limited sample but based on three days usage, I use on average 20-25% of the battery per day. I could probably get by charging the phone every three days but based on my activities, I will probably top it off every other day since that coincides with my hike schedule and it will be easier to remember to do it every other day. I have not pursued any aggressive power management other than turning off 5G.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

jebmke wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:30 am Three days along with the 12-mini.

Limited sample but based on three days usage, I use on average 20-25% of the battery per day. I could probably get by charging the phone every three days but based on my activities, I will probably top it off every other day since that coincides with my hike schedule and it will be easier to remember to do it every other day. I have not pursued any aggressive power management other than turning off 5G.
Charging daily (say from 40 to 65%) will still be much better for your batteries than charging say from 25 to 100% once every 3 days. Lithium-ion batteries will last much longer (in terms of battery health) if you avoid deep charges and discharges and keep the battery close to about 40-50% state of charge, rather than either extreme (0 or 100%).
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Thanks; I think every other day will probably do it. Some days it never gets used. Don't know what the power use is while idle.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

02nz wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:10 pm
jebmke wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:30 am Three days along with the 12-mini.

Charging daily (say from 40 to 65%) will still be much better for your batteries than charging say from 25 to 100% once every 3 days. Lithium-ion batteries will last much longer (in terms of battery health) if you avoid deep charges and discharges and keep the battery close to about 40-50% state of charge, rather than either extreme (0 or 100%).
I'd rather not have to worry about keeping my phone in a 25% powerband and deal with the battery degradation. By the time battery degradation really impacts phone performance I'd either be getting ready to upgrade or I'd just spring the $70 to have the battery replaced.

It's a contradiction to do as you say. By keeping the battery "healthy," you're staying tethered to an electrical outlet, hence negating whatever benefit you gain from having a healthy battery.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

02nz wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:10 pmCharging daily (say from 40 to 65%) will still be much better for your batteries than charging say from 25 to 100% once every 3 days. Lithium-ion batteries will last much longer (in terms of battery health) if you avoid deep charges and discharges and keep the battery close to about 40-50% state of charge, rather than either extreme (0 or 100%).
I've never had a problem "overcharging" an iPhone to 100% and often leaving it plugged in. I though there was some sort of protection from harm. It's possible I could have protected the battery more by not doing so. I never turned on the feature in iOS 13 (I don't know if I updated to iOS13, I think I've been postponing it and still on 12.x).

About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone
With iOS 13 and later, your iPhone learns from your daily charging habits to improve the lifespan of your battery.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210512

How iOS 13 Will Save Your iPhone’s Battery (by Not Fully Charging It)
https://www.howtogeek.com/423451/how-io ... ing-to-80/

NO, CHARGING YOUR IPHONE OVERNIGHT DOES NOT DESTROY THE BATTERY
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 09096.html
02nz

Post by 02nz »

inbox788 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:11 pm
02nz wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:10 pmCharging daily (say from 40 to 65%) will still be much better for your batteries than charging say from 25 to 100% once every 3 days. Lithium-ion batteries will last much longer (in terms of battery health) if you avoid deep charges and discharges and keep the battery close to about 40-50% state of charge, rather than either extreme (0 or 100%).
I've never had a problem "overcharging" an iPhone to 100% and often leaving it plugged in. I though there was some sort of protection from harm. It's possible I could have protected the battery more by not doing so. I never turned on the feature in iOS 13 (I don't know if I updated to iOS13, I think I've been postponing it and still on 12.x).

About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone
With iOS 13 and later, your iPhone learns from your daily charging habits to improve the lifespan of your battery.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210512

How iOS 13 Will Save Your iPhone’s Battery (by Not Fully Charging It)
https://www.howtogeek.com/423451/how-io ... ing-to-80/

NO, CHARGING YOUR IPHONE OVERNIGHT DOES NOT DESTROY THE BATTERY
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 09096.html
Charging to 100% and leaving it there doesn't "damage" the battery but absolutely does degrade battery health more quickly. The howtogeek.com article you link specifically talks about how iOS 13's "Optimized Charging" feature preserves battery health by minimizing the amount of time the phone spends at 100% state of charge.

It's a trade-off of convenience vs battery health, I was just pointing out that shallow charging/discharging is better for the battery.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

02nz wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:19 pmCharging to 100% and leaving it there doesn't "damage" the battery but absolutely does degrade battery health more quickly. The howtogeek.com article you link specifically talks about how iOS 13's "Optimized Charging" feature preserves battery health by minimizing the amount of time the phone spends at 100% state of charge.

It's a trade-off of convenience vs battery health, I was just pointing out that shallow charging/discharging is better for the battery.
Here's a Battery Universe article with lots of details on how you might optimize the battery life. I've slowly started to pay a little attention, but keeping things charged 100% has worked well enough for me without having to think or plan ahead about whether 80% will be enough for me to keep from getting below 40% before the next topup. Come to think of it, I do go below 40% frequently. I need to develop better charging habits to keep away from more harmful extremes.

Case 2 and 3 are light blue and green lines. Compare light blue (75-25) to dark blue (100-50), same utility. Also, compare green to purple (reduced utility for longer retained capacity life).

BU-808: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/art ... _batteries
Figure 6: Capacity loss as a function of charge and discharge bandwidth.*
Charging and discharging Li-ion only partially prolongs battery life but reduces utilization.
Case 2: 75–25% SoC has 3,000 cycles (to 90% capacity) and delivers 150,000 EU. Utilizes 50% of battery. (EV battery, new.)
Case 3: 85–25% SoC has 2,000 cycles. Delivers 120,000 EU. Uses 60% of battery.
just_cruisin

Post by just_cruisin »

hunoraut wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:21 am
jjface wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:11 am You say only advatange is cost (and touch id) but that is a big advantage. You can pick up an SE for $150-250 or so if you know where to look or shell out $750 for the mini. There are some advantages but not $500 worth. And some people will like the home button and old school design. The upgrades are incremental at best like the a13 to a14 processor or the camera. Some people want the latest and the best they can get though especially if they want to hold on to it for years.
the SE is 399 retail vs mini 699 retail (730 SIM free). the SE deals are carrier-locked with dependencies on activations and contracts, so you're already off basis if comparing subsidized vs untethered phone.

the screen goes from 4.7" to 5.4", which is not insignificant. lets adjust to 5.2" if you want to discount the notch real estate.

camera is not incremental, its a few generations older, and significantly lacks the implementation for night photography.

the other biggie is ~1800mah vs 2200mah battery capacity, and that might be the biggest perceived difference. keep in mind difference in battery performance accelerates over time as smaller packs run through more cycles, and hit at extreme state of charges more often, etc.

its not necessary for everyone, but if you use the phone for , say, 3 hours a day, the differences over 1 year works out to literally $1 a day
Not sure why you are quoting retail price, is anyone actually paying that?

I got a SE2 for half off. I know there are trade in deals for the 12 mini which come out to $0.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

just_cruisin wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:45 am Not sure why you are quoting retail price, is anyone actually paying that?

I got a SE2 for half off. I know there are trade in deals for the 12 mini which come out to $0.
Yes, people like me who just want a device, and most people in the world whom ATT/Verizon/Tmobile dont subsidize.

Trade-in values for device X is the same whether traded in for an iPhone mini or a pro, so MSRP is still the best basis for price comparison.

The difference between models is $300. And if you get a trade-in credit for $200, the difference between them both doesn't change.
just_cruisin

Post by just_cruisin »

hunoraut wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:14 am
just_cruisin wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:45 am Not sure why you are quoting retail price, is anyone actually paying that?

Yes, people like me who just want a device, and most people in the world whom ATT/Verizon/Tmobile dont subsidize.

Trade-in values for device X is the same whether traded in for an iPhone mini or a pro, so MSRP is still the best basis for price comparison.

The difference between models is $300. And if you get a trade-in credit for $200, the difference between them both doesn't change.
I think you might have missed the point.

I didn’t trade anything in to get half off an SE2. Cost was $200 a few months ago when it came out.

If I wanted a 12 mini I could theoretically get one for $200. Purchase a trade in eligible phone off of ebay for $200, trade it in for a “free” 12 mini.

So someone deciding today between an SE2 or a 12 mini shouldn’t be looking at MSRP but at a price of $200.
marc in merrimack

Post by marc in merrimack »

just_cruisin wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:30 pm

I didn’t trade anything in to get half off an SE2. Cost was $200 a few months ago when it came out.

If I wanted a 12 mini I could theoretically get one for $200. Purchase a trade in eligible phone off of ebay for $200, trade it in for a “free” 12 mini.

So someone deciding today between an SE2 or a 12 mini shouldn’t be looking at MSRP but at a price of $200.
Yes, I think we’re missing the point because you’re leaving out some highly relevant points in your transaction descriptions.

The SE2 cost was not $200 when it came out. The price was - and is - $399 for the lowest cost variant. If you obtained one for $200, it came along with a carrier contract of some kind.

The lowest priced 12 mini is $729 without a carrier contract. The highest trade in value offered by Apple is $500. That’s for an iPhone 11 Pro Max which you’re not going find used on eBay for $200.

Oh, if you’re referring to the AT&T offer, there’s a host of requirements stipulated and your SE2 trade-in value is only $350.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

marcwd wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:02 pm

Yes, I think we’re missing the point because you’re leaving out some highly relevant points in your transaction descriptions.

The SE2 cost was not $200 when it came out. The price was - and is - $399 for the lowest cost variant. If you obtained one for $200, it came along with a carrier contract of some kind.
$184, only two months of service required.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tomsgu ... -right-now

The lowest priced 12 mini is $729 without a carrier contract. The highest trade in value offered by Apple is $500. That’s for an iPhone 11 Pro Max which you’re not going find used on eBay for $200.

Oh, if you’re referring to the AT&T offer, there’s a host of requirements stipulated and your SE2 trade-in value is only $350.
And if you had an SE2, you can go on the Apple website:

iPhone 12 mini
$699
-$210 trade-in value from Apple
-$150 reward card from T-Mobile (no contract required)

= $339
just_cruisin

Post by just_cruisin »

Please read the posts again, I have never said that I am trying to trade in my SE2.

I bought the SE2 the week it came out. Cost was $200. Yes it came with a carrier contract.

Are you saying you are paying full price for a phone and then NOT using it on a cell carrier network?
marc in merrimack

Tingting1013 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:16 pm

$184, only two months of service required.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tomsgu ... -right-now

And if you had an SE2, you can go on the Apple website:

iPhone 12 mini
$699
-$210 trade-in value from Apple
-$150 reward card from T-Mobile (no contract required)

= $339
Nice try. The $184 SE2 offer from Visible sold out in April.

And the $150 T-Mobile reward card requires an active line at the time of card issuance which is unknown. And I’m not interested in T-Mobile service. Even for a day.
marc in merrimack

just_cruisin wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:19 pm

Please read the posts again, I have never said that I am trying to trade in my SE2.

I bought the SE2 the week it came out. Cost was $200. Yes it came with a carrier contract.

Are you saying you are paying full price for a phone and then NOT using it on a cell carrier network?
Of course I’ll be using the phone on a cell carrier network. But via an MVNO with no strings attached. The cell carriers offer these phone discounts for a reason. And it’s not to save you money.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The thread is getting derailed on a price discrepancy.

The points have been made, let's move on.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
EvanRude

Post by EvanRude »

DW just replaced an iPhone 6S with an iPhone 12 mini and is very happy. Your view on battery life might depend on where you are coming from. 12 mini has far better battery life than 6S. The optional 20W charging block charges the battery very fast - I think the stated rate is 50% in 30 minutes. Everything is faster - processor, WiFi connection, and GigaLTE vs 6S.
CloveLeaf

Post by CloveLeaf »

I got my new mini last Friday. So I have been using it for a week now. Love the form factor! I like small phones and have been waiting for the mini since it was rumored. Previous daily driver is an s10e, which is still great. Mini is a bit smaller and lighter than the s10e
just_cruisin

Post by just_cruisin »

marcwd wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:54 pm
just_cruisin wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:19 pm

Of course I’ll be using the phone on a cell carrier network. But via an MVNO with no strings attached.
Interesting.....how much per month for unlimited calls / text / data and what carrier network is that on?
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

FYI,

IPHONE 12 MINI PRODUCTION WILL BE DISCONTINUED IN THE Q2 DUE TO POOR SALES
https://www.gizchina.com/2021/02/06/iph ... oor-sales/

Remains to be seen if this is a pause or first step towards discontinuation. High price and low battery life seem to be challenge.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

They should really change the naming to smartcameras. It seems most people buy for the camera and everything else is peripheral. I have had a mini since it first came out and I have yet to use the camera.