severance negotiation

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Pinotage

Re: severance negotiation

Post by Pinotage »

Something about these posts really reminds me of Palatineman.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=230737
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I've never heard of a severance being granted when someone resigns on their own. In my experience, it's used for RIF when the company has to reduce staff, and the policy is clearly defined in the employee handbook.
Last edited by ClevrChico on Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Do I understand this correctly:

OP has told his employer of his intent to quit. OP has stopped working on a very important/critical project. OP claims that it is impossible for his company to move forward without his assistance and has demanded additional compensation above his current salary to resume work on this project and help with the transition before he departs. OP has indicated that if they don't pay him addition compensation, he is fine with just leaving his current employer regardless of the harm that could result and they can just fire him.

It sounds like the OP is on strike!

If I am understanding the situation correctly, this is bad form and unprofessional IMHO. Perhaps the company is consulting with legal counsel before proceeding. I wouldn't be surprised if the company sends a strong, clear message that they won't give in to coercion and terminates the OP immediately. And this type of conduct may very well hinder OP from future employment prospects.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

8foot7 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:52 pm If I found out you just stopped working on a key project and wanted me to pay you to go away, I’d walk you to the door immediately and then try to figure out a way to claw back the money I paid you while you weren’t working. (I would not likely be successful in that latter part, of course.)

Your compensation for knowledge transfer during a transition is your paycheck.
Been dealing with a similar situation with 2 employees since we went WFH in March. You'd think it would just be this easy (to let go people who openly refused to work, for months), but I have found it isn't in larger companies (at least not in mine).
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

duckftl wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:11 pmFor various reasons I had a disagreements with the management and I have now communicated to management and HR that I would like to transition out of the company while cooperating on a transition plan. I have also asked to put in place severance agreements in return for my cooperation during the transition. HR has communicated that they will respond in a few days.

1. Should I proactively send HR my terms for the severance agreements or should I wait to hear from them?
You should wait to hear from them. I wouldn't expect any severance for someone who quit, rather than someone who was laid off, but one never knows.
I ask this because my project is currently stopped because I have stopped working on it.
You have stopped of your own volition? If so, holding your breath and refusing to work in good faith is a poor negotiating strategy.
in layoff situations employer has offered 2-4 weeks of pay & healthcare for each year of service. If I should send proactively, then what terms should I ask?
You can ask for anything you want. But if I understand correctly, you aren't being laid off, you are quitting.
2. If I do not send proactively, but employer offers severance arrangement, then in this case should I ask for more?
You can ask for anything you want.

When I was laid off, I asked for full tuition reimbursement of the courses I was in the process of completing. That was granted. But my situation was different: it was a wide layoff, I was management, I wasn't refusing to do work.
but I am not really looking to screw the employer here, they have been pretty good to me and if possible I would like to leave on good terms. And also keep open the possibility of providing work on consulting basis in the future.
If you really want to leave on good terms, wait until you get offered severance (if any), then decide what to do. Don't withhold your services while waiting. Serve out the traditional notice period like a professional. Help make the transition to your replacements as simple as you can. Act like you aren't trying to screw them.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

duckftl wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:33 am Yes, I am now convinced to not send anything to HR until I hear back from them first. I have a date in my mind. 2 months down the line.

Working there even one minute on the current terms would be too much.
Then why didn't you give your notice now, rather than for 2 months down the line? Seems odd to me.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

duckftl wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:29 am I have valid reasons to believe that direct management has been deceitful to me. I have let HR know about this. I won't sue, but I will consult with an attorney anyways. Just to know the actuality.
I sense that your grudge has been brewing for some time. Now, it is a question of who wins and who loses, you or the direct management. No middle ground.
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

I believe it's a mistake to think that HR is an impartial advocate for your best interests. I'm not assuming that they are stooges for the management, but you are naively assuming that "the race is [deleted] to the swift." Your level of virtue is of only a little interest to HR.

The two times my wife gave two weeks notice she was walked out of the office the same day. I think it is usually a mistake to give months of notice.

If your skill set really is in a small arena, your best interest is to maintain your global reputation, not to (trying to quote from a long thread) maximize your compensation during departure. Nerds (sorry ... ) don't usually earn their reputation by swagger. (Not meant as an insult, just weighing competence versus departure negotiation.) Do you watch "Halt And Catch Fire"? Fiction has lessons for us.
Topic Author
duckftl

Post by duckftl »

JoeRetire wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:04 am
duckftl wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:33 am Yes, I am now convinced to not send anything to HR until I hear back from them first. I have a date in my mind. 2 months down the line.

Then why didn't you give your notice now, rather than for 2 months down the line? Seems odd to me.
I didn't give notice, because I want to get severance/bonus at the end of my 2 months.
Topic Author
duckftl

Post by duckftl »

MathIsMyWayr wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:30 am
duckftl wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:29 am I have valid reasons to believe that direct management has been deceitful to me. I have let HR know about this. I won't sue, but I will consult with an attorney anyways. Just to know the actuality.
I sense that your grudge has been brewing for some time. Now, it is a question of who wins and who loses, you or the direct management. No middle ground.
Yes, it has been brewing for a while. I implied these consequences to management a few weeks back. But maintained my high productivity during this time. However things came to head last week.
Last edited by duckftl on Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

duckftl wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:36 am

I didn't give notice, because I want to get severance/bonus at the end of my 2 months.
Not an employment attorney or in HR, but "I have now communicated to management and HR that I would like to transition out of the company while cooperating on a transition plan" sounds like giving notice to me.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

You did this before bonus time? Really? You couldn’t hold on for two months? Color me incredulous.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Okay. Good luck.
Topic Author
duckftl

Post by duckftl »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:50 am

You did this before bonus time? Really? You couldn’t hold on for two months? Color me incredulous.
Bonus for 2020 would be done by Feb/Mar. I don't want to wait that long. Also my (perceived?) leverage would diminish by that time.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

I actually had an employee 2yrs ago give me his two weeks notice while he was in my office discussing his year-end bonus. Found out later that he had been coaxing his other offer for quite a while so he could get the bonus; exactly what I would have done. OP definitely played this wrong and is now (IMO) showing a sense of entitlement that probably isn't going to endear employer to play nice.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

stoptothink wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:02 am

I actually had an employee 2yrs ago give me his two weeks notice while he was in my office discussing his year-end bonus. Found out later that he had been coaxing his other offer for quite a while so he could get the bonus; exactly what I would have done. OP definitely played this wrong and is now (IMO) showing a sense of entitlement that probably isn't going to endear employer to play nice.
Yeah, even after bonus was communicated, I waited until the check cleared :D
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

duckftl wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:57 am

Bonus for 2020 would be done by Feb/Mar. I don't want to wait that long. Also my (perceived?) leverage would diminish by that time.
Between holidays and PTO, February is around the corner. I would have held my nose and waited, but it’s your compensation not mine.
Topic Author
duckftl

Post by duckftl »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:07 am
duckftl wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:57 am

Between holidays and PTO, February is around the corner. I would have held my nose and waited, but it’s your compensation not mine.
Thanks for your thoughts. I had obviously considered doing that. But at the end of the analysis, decided on the current course of action.
Topic Author
duckftl

Post by duckftl »

Pinotage wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:00 am Something about these posts really reminds me of Palatineman.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=230737
It did indeed. Thanks for posting.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

duckftl wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:11 pm I do not have another job lined up.
I'd get going on that immediately. You'll increase whatever leverage you might have, and give yourself a safety net if it doesn't work out. Honestly, that should have been the first step prior to starting the "negotiation." The old adage is true. Much easier to find a job while you have one.
geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos »

duckftl wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:11 am Thanks for your thoughts. I had obviously considered doing that. But at the end of the analysis, decided on the current course of action.
You have handled this poorly. You should be fired and as others have noted, your account should be locked. You should have gotten another offer or two before doing these shenanigans. You have no leverage. Stop wasting yours and their time. My own personal ethics don’t allow me to engage in this type of unprofessional behavior, and I expect many of my peers on this forum are the same. I would never encourage this type of behavior; your approach is a lose - lose. Time to start interviewing, especially if you only have 10X saved.

On a personal note, I have received five offers over the last year and I have taken two of those exceptional offers to my employer and had career discussions. Through it all I have busted my butt for the company, remaining a top performer. I have stayed because they have paid me what I’m worth.

If I was a manager, or if I was a peer of yours, I would recommend you to be let go.
VTSAX and chill
Topic Author
duckftl

Post by duckftl »

geerhardusvos wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:18 am
duckftl wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:11 am Thanks for your thoughts. I had obviously considered doing that. But at the end of the analysis, decided on the current course of action.
You have handled this poorly. You should be fired and as others have noted, your account should be locked. You should have gotten another offer or two before doing these shenanigans. You have no leverage. Stop wasting yours and their time. My own personal ethics don’t allow me to engage in this type of unprofessional behavior, and I expect many of my peers on this forum are the same. I would never encourage this type of behavior; your approach is a lose - lose. Time to start interviewing, especially if you only have 10X saved.

On a personal note, I have received five offers over the last year and I have taken two of those exceptional offers to my employer and had career discussions. Through it all I have busted my butt for the company, remaining a top performer. I have stayed because they have paid me what I’m worth.

If I was a manager, or if I was a peer of yours, I would recommend you to be let go.
Thanks for posting.
I think you are way over thinking this. You have no factual or logical rationales for your recommendations. Different people have different ways to tackle issues in their life.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

So you hate your boss, and want to leave. Your boss maybe overlooked you, deceived you or something like that.
If your boss left would you stay? Maybe you could outlast the boss? I had boss I didn't care for they quit-I outlasted them. Made work life a bit happier.
Jtrob2

Post by Jtrob2 »

duckftl wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:11 pm Salutations Bogleheads,

Over the last few years, I have gained tremendously from the collective wisdom of you all. And have also made a lot of progress on the personal finance front. And for this, I am sincerely thankful to all of you.

I am now in a peculiar situation regarding my departure from my megacorp employer.

My background:
I am fairly high on the technical ladder, and although not a manager have managed teams technically. I also have several years of tenure with my employer and I am also a recognized subject matter expert in my field in the company and the knowledge that I have about company products that I have helped develop cannot be replaced by the company without investing a lot of money and time. Management has strategic but not technical knowledge, and I was providing the technical knowledge. Company also has hundreds of customers for these high-value product, and supporting these would be next to impossible for them without the knowledge transfer from me.

My current situation:
Currently am technically leading the development of new product. This new product will also be high-value. For various reasons I had a disagreements with the management and I have now communicated to management and HR that I would like to transition out of the company while cooperating on a transition plan. I have also asked to put in place severance agreements in return for my cooperation during the transition. HR has communicated that they will respond in a few days.

I think I have a lot of leverage in this situation, primarily because employer has many contractual agreements with respect to the new product being developed, and also for supporting the existing product. And because of all the excellent advice I have received here, am in strong position to weather extended periods of unemployment, but I also think my skills will be easily transferable to another employer. And I am also residing in a economically dynamic geographical area with lots of employment opportunities in my field. My spouse will also continue working. I do not have another job lined up.

My questions are as follows.
1. Should I proactively send HR my terms for the severance agreements or should I wait to hear from them? I ask this because my project is currently stopped because I have stopped working on it. And in the interest of speeding things up, I would want to get clarity as soon as possible. in layoff situations employer has offered 2-4 weeks of pay & healthcare for each year of service. If I should send proactively, then what terms should I ask?

2. If I do not send proactively, but employer offers severance arrangement, then in this case should I ask for more? (obvious answer is yes :), but I am not really looking to screw the employer here, they have been pretty good to me and if possible I would like to leave on good terms. And also keep open the possibility of providing work on consulting basis in the future.

I am looking forward to suggestions, pointers from all of you.

p.s. forums have some topics related to negotiations during layoff situation. But did not find anything appropriate for my current predicament.

Many Thanks for reading this and providing your inputs.
duckftl
It’s important to really understand, especially with big companies (I’m a longtime veteran of a couple of really large ones) that the company legally owes you nothing, and they Do NOT like trying to be held hostage by single employees. That said, they will sometimes work out a severance and it’s VERY dependent on individual circumstances. My advice in your circumstance, based on a fair amount of experience, be humble, it’s too late right now for a proactive demand you should have led with what you would want, as a humble request. At this point:
Get back to working on your project, lean into it.
Wait for their offer, there will likely be one coming since it’s been a few days and not rejected quickly. Probably working it out take time.
If it’s anywhere in the realm of reasonable, take it and be happy....again, they owe you nothing
If it looks really weak, your counter should only be for what you know they can do based on having done it for others and hope for the best.

Working out something really good for yourself in a “proactive” severance request takes carful planning and ground work and from you story it sounds like that was not done.

Good luck
geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos »

duckftl wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:31 am

Thanks for posting.
I think you are way over thinking this. You have no factual or logical rationales for your recommendations. Different people have different ways to tackle issues in their life.
Is it possible that you way under thought your approach? It appears the only issue that needs tackling in this scenario is you.
VTSAX and chill
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

duckftl wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:11 pm ...I am not really looking to screw the employer here, they have been pretty good to me and if possible I would like to leave on good terms. And also keep open the possibility of providing work on consulting basis in the future.
That seems inconsistent with other facts you have stated in your posts.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

duckftl wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:31 am

Thanks for posting.
I have come to the same conclusion as geerhard and I think you have vastly overplayed your hand here.
humblecoder

Post by humblecoder »

I've read this thread and honestly I am still trying to piece together the facts. Here's what I was able to glean.

It sounds like the OP didn't officially resign or give notice. It sounds like the OP just told HR (and I assume either directly or indirectly his management team) that he plans on resigning. However, if they sweeten the pot, he'll stick around for two months. Otherwise he is going to give the standard two weeks notice (or just quit - not sure on that point). Meanwhile the OP has stopped working on one of his assigned projects.

Here are my thoughts:
- Stopping work on one of your assigned projects seems to be unprofessional, at best. It definitely has a bad smell to it ("I'll restart work if I get a good severance package"). Despite any disagreements/issues with management, you should take the high road and not compromise your ethics.

- You may be indispensable to the project, but in my experience megacorps don't usually see it that way. They figure that losing one person out of tens of thousands isn't going to stop the train.

- That said, I have seen some limited cases where a megacorp has brought back a former employee (usually a retiree) on a part time consulting basis to wrap up a project. However, this required significant lobbying from the person's management team. If your management team and you aren't getting along, they might not step up if the relationship is as bad as you say. Even if it is in the best interest of the project, their egos might tell them that they can get along fine without you, whether or not that is true.

So my advice is this. First, if you are taking a paycheck, continue to do your job. Be the better man. Second, don't dictate terms of your severance package. Let HR come back to you. Third, if they come back with something, don't negotiate. Either take it or give your two week's notice. If you give you notice, they might call your bluff with a better offer. Or not. Fourth, be prepared to walk. You've already pretty much killed your career with this company so staying there is not an option regardless of the outcome.
market timer

Post by market timer »

This is an interesting situation. Can you share some details on the terms you are requesting?

Given what you've described, you are possibly worth far more than your compensation in the short run. Indeed, with the right negotiation tactics, you could potentially get a bonus for completing the project. My concern with your current approach is how you've framed it. Consider two approaches:

Approach 1: You stop working while continuing to draw a paycheck. You request a severance payout in exchange for project completion.

Approach 2: You give notice as required by your employment agreement, but offer to provide consulting services at an agreed upon rate through project completion.

I think most would view approach 1 as dishonest and possibly illegal (time theft). Approach 2 also has some reputational risk (it's basically a holdup problem), but seems more ethical in my view. Both approaches are somewhat risky, but I would view approach 2 as more respectable. It's not clear to me that you are really negotiating a severance, but rather a one-off payment for completion of a project of high value.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

duckftl wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:31 am I think you are way over thinking this. You have no factual or logical rationales for your recommendations. Different people have different ways to tackle issues in their life.
When you post and ask for input you have to accept that other people may see things differently than you do. I'd say it's far more "logical" for the employer to fire you than to pay you severance for quitting. If I was in your management chain I'd probably just ignore you for a while and hope you'd go away, which would be the path of least resistance for the megacorp. While it was a complicated story, many years ago I was in a situation where I didn't handle leaving a position well, much as you seem to be doing now. I regret that now - but I've had other regrets along the way, so now it's just one of many. You'll probably look back on this episode the same way eventually, no matter how it's resolved.
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

As a hiring manager, on principle alone, and to keep future employees from quitting mid-project as a way to ̷e̷x̷t̷o̷r̷t̷ leverage a favorable severance, I would take the hit on the project and stand by a zero severance policy. If the employee wanted to switch to part time or advisory role during the hiring process for their replacement, that might be an option. But severance payment for quitting? That just isn't done.
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

galawdawg wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:41 am
duckftl wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:11 pm ...I am not really looking to screw the employer here, they have been pretty good to me and if possible I would like to leave on good terms. And also keep open the possibility of providing work on consulting basis in the future.
That seems inconsistent with other facts you have stated in your posts.
Also a brand new account talking about how much they love the community and have learned over the years...
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Thread locked for moderator review.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Upon further review, this thread will remain locked due to contention with ethical issues. See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.