Steelcase Gesture: Headrest? Other Models? (Office Chair)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Nearly A Moose

Steelcase Gesture: Headrest? Other Models? (Office Chair)

Post by Nearly A Moose »

My back has made it abundantly clear over the past week that, after 8 months of working from home, my "2-3 hour" / "night/weekend work" home office desk chair is no longer adequate. I think I'm going to go with a Steelcase Gesture, based on (1) reviews and (2) my experience with my Herman Miller Aeron at my office (it's fine, but I don't love it and never feel fully supported with the mesh). I'm at the desk 10 hours a day so am willing to spend money on this. So, two questions:

1. What are peoples' experience with the optional headrest? Should I get it? It seems that I'd have to pick upfront and that it can't be retrofitted. I have a headrest on my work office chair and while I've never paid that close attention think I use it, e.g., when I'm kicked back in a conference call. But it seems to be a ~$200 add-on.

2. Any other models or brands I should be considering? HM Aeron is off the table, and I think I'm generally against that general mesh style. I've also done the big box store chair and don't think that's the solution. I can stomach the Steelcase Gesture price range but don't want to get into the $1500+ range.

Thanks in advance!
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.
adestefan

Re: Steelcase Gesture: Headrest? Other Models? (Office Chair)

Post by adestefan »

I can’t comment on the headrest, but I got a Gesture last week and it’s the best chair I have ever used. It perfectly fits my back and I use the adjustable arms more than I thought I would.

My company uses Herman Miller chairs with a few Steelcase Thinks here and there. Like you the later version of the Arron is fine, but not spectacular. I could never justify the price for home. Three weeks ago my poor shoulders were calling out to finally upgrade from my IKEA chair at home. I went with the Gesture due to the reviews. The 14-day no question asked free returns and they cover return shipping also helped stomach an $1100 outlay.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

I am sitting on this exact refurbished char. (with the roller blade option, but standard everything else).
https://www.crandalloffice.com/shop/cha ... ice-chair/
Its a great chair.
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

Got the Steelcase Amia about six weeks ago. Very happy with it.
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

You should also consider the Leap, also from Steelcase.
Topic Author
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

Whakamole wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:34 am You should also consider the Leap, also from Steelcase.
Have you used the Leap? I'm struggling to figure out the difference given the apparently similar price points. I was sort of defaulting to the "newer model must be better" approach, which I recognize isn't always right. I'd go sit in them, but there's a pandemic and such...
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Chairs are kind of like shoes. One size doesn’t fit all. It helps to try them on. Have you gone anywhere and actually sat in one of these? I think your questions would be answered if you did that.

I’ve never found a headrest to be useful. If I’m sitting with good posture, my head would never touch the headrest.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
MostlyABogleHead

Post by MostlyABogleHead »

Steelcase 482 Amia is a wonderful chair to consider.

I highly recommend the chair and Crandall office furniture for their service and price.
TrustButVerifying

Post by TrustButVerifying »

Another vote for the Steelcase Leap V2 Chair.

When I did my research for a new office chair, the online reviews generally favored the Gesture. With that in mind, we went to a store that carried all of the high end brands and test sat the chairs. We ended up purchasing the Steelcase Leap V2 chair instead. A year later, I have no regrets.

The only seat controls we use constantly are the Height adjustment and Seat Depth adjustment. To change Seat Depth on the Gesture, you rotate a Knob control. On the Leap, you pull up on the Paddle control and slide the Seat forward or back. In my opinion, the Gesture’s Seat Depth control would be more precise but way more effort.

Another upscale Gesture feature is the full range arms adjustment. We never change the Arms so that feature would have gone unused.

If you will be the only one using the chair, you may rarely touch any of the seat controls after initial setup.
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

Nearly A Moose wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:41 am
Whakamole wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:34 am You should also consider the Leap, also from Steelcase.
Have you used the Leap? I'm struggling to figure out the difference given the apparently similar price points. I was sort of defaulting to the "newer model must be better" approach, which I recognize isn't always right. I'd go sit in them, but there's a pandemic and such...
I have, in fact I am sitting on one right now.

They're not quite the same. There are many websites that compare the Gesture and Leap, since they are at similar price points. I didn't want the headrest, but did care about some other things that the Leap was better rated at.
bb

Post by bb »

I don't think you can tell without trying them out. Consider if you can tell
by going to desaler and trying out chairs vs needing a longer sit test. Some
retailers (and Steelcase store) offers free shipping, 30 day trial, free returns.

The Leap seems a bit more supportive/snugger fit of both seat and back. Both
chairs offer an active back. PM if you want.
mouth

Post by mouth »

I just ordered a Leap yesterday over the Gesture because all else being equal I didn't care so much about the easier seat depth adjustment (I did need it to be adjustable though), I cared that the Leap has a superior back tilt functionality. It has more steps (5 vs 3) and doesn't have any "flex" when locked. The reason that last one mattered is because most reviews mention that the locked-flex of the back sometimes requires a heavy tension to counter act and that tension then might need to be loosened/tightened when you actually want to lean back. Just seemed like it might become a real annoyance.

I didn't care about the headrest so that might be a deal breaker for you.
StudentT

Post by StudentT »

I bought a Steelcase Gesture last month. It replaced an old Steelcase chair which dates from the 1970s that I bought used sometime in the early 1990s. It worked pretty well for a couple of hours at a time but it was causing back pain now that I've been sitting in it for 8-10 hours a day while working from home due to covid.

I ended up buying a leather Gesture with a headrest. It cost over $1800 and it took me several weeks of contemplation before I was willing to spend that much. I went with leather because I thought it would be likely to last longer. I was worried that the leather would be too slick and I'd end up slouching if my butt slid forward on the chair. It isn't an issue at all. The leather isn't sticky but it has enough of a texture that I don't slide. My posture is much better now and the back ache has gone away.

I got a headrest at the recommendation of a friend whose chair I'd seen on a Zoom call. I rarely use the headrest but I do occasionally and like it. Mostly when I'm leaning back while chatting 1 on 1 on a video call or if I’m reading something.

There are a ton of adjustments so it should fit most people. I thought about going to a Steelcase showroom to try out one in person but didn't want to do that in a pandemic and the nearest one was far enough away to be a hassle. There is a 30-day return period if you buy online directly from Steelcase which made me feel more comfortable buying it without trying it out.

I found the Wirecutter review useful (https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... ice-chair/).

I did buy some hardwood floor wheels on Amazon (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1) which were cheaper than the wheels I could've gotten from Steelcase. I have a rug underneath the chair over hardwood and wanted to protect the floor a bit in case I went off the edge of the rug. The wheels are slightly bigger than the standard wheels and work great on the rug as well as the hardwood.

So, I'm very happy with the chair. I have no regrets. I think it will last me many years and I'll happily pay more for something that will last. I’ve been working almost 100% at home since March and expect that it will be many more months before I’m working in the office even 50% and I doubt that I’ll ever be back 100%. We’ve saved so much money on travel, eating out, and gas that we’re still way ahead.
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

I have the Leap 2 at home and had the Think in the office. I've seen some recommendations for the Leap 2, but personally I don't like the flared seat in the Leap 2. It starts to hurt my hip after awhile. I'm female and have hips but I am not overweight or anything. I have the same issue with some automobile seats that have big bolsters on the side. Not a fan. I've been thinking about buying a Think for home. The Gesture looks like a good alternative to the Think.
Topic Author
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

mouth wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:18 pm I just ordered a Leap yesterday over the Gesture because all else being equal I didn't care so much about the easier seat depth adjustment (I did need it to be adjustable though), I cared that the Leap has a superior back tilt functionality. It has more steps (5 vs 3) and doesn't have any "flex" when locked. The reason that last one mattered is because most reviews mention that the locked-flex of the back sometimes requires a heavy tension to counter act and that tension then might need to be loosened/tightened when you actually want to lean back. Just seemed like it might become a real annoyance.

Can I follow up on the recline? I've read a bit about that in reviews but for some reason haven't been as clear on it as I'd like. My understanding is that the Gesture sort of flexes backward a bit as you lean backwards, so it never really "locks" into a fully upright position, whereas the Leap can be locked into an upright position, such that if you lean back into it won't move. Am I getting that right?
Topic Author
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

MostlyABogleHead wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:55 am Steelcase 482 Amia is a wonderful chair to consider.

I highly recommend the chair and Crandall office furniture for their service and price.
How is the quality of their fabrics? Looks like I could get a Leap for about $600 less than a new Gesture, which seems compelling...
bioebud

Post by bioebud »

Madison seating has most/all of these models for big discounts. Just bought the V2 a few weeks ago. Great chair.
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

Nearly A Moose wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:14 pm
mouth wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:18 pm I just ordered a Leap yesterday over the Gesture because all else being equal I didn't care so much about the easier seat depth adjustment (I did need it to be adjustable though), I cared that the Leap has a superior back tilt functionality. It has more steps (5 vs 3) and doesn't have any "flex" when locked. The reason that last one mattered is because most reviews mention that the locked-flex of the back sometimes requires a heavy tension to counter act and that tension then might need to be loosened/tightened when you actually want to lean back. Just seemed like it might become a real annoyance.

Can I follow up on the recline? I've read a bit about that in reviews but for some reason haven't been as clear on it as I'd like. My understanding is that the Gesture sort of flexes backward a bit as you lean backwards, so it never really "locks" into a fully upright position, whereas the Leap can be locked into an upright position, such that if you lean back into it won't move. Am I getting that right?
You can see some photos/videos (with more details about the differences) here:
https://blog.szynalski.com/2017/08/revi ... e-gesture/
https://blog.szynalski.com/2019/04/revi ... case-leap/

But yes, with the Leap there's a control that lets you control whether it is locked into an upright position (there is a very small amount of give) vs being able to have it flex pretty far back. It's a nice feature.

About Madison Seating, or any company that sells these chairs refurbished - I would do your due diligence first. Madison (from some threads on reddit) does not use Steelcase parts when they refurbish chairs, and so there is no warranty.

I ended up buying mine direct from Steelcase (with a nice discount courtesy of an employee purchase plan), and seeing as I'll be working from home for the foreseeable future, it seemed like a good investment.
BitByBit

Post by BitByBit »

I suggest getting the headrest - it sounds like it fits in your budget, you'll be spending an enormous amount of time in the chair, and hopefully you'll have it a long time since these chairs are supposed to last.

I recently was in a similar chair-hunting situation and opted for the Gesture with the headrest. I agonized over researching for awhile due to the hefty price and not having a good way to try it out before buying. I wasn't initially considering a headrest, but read a couple reviews that recommended it enough to convince me. My chair has seen a few weeks of heavy use and so far I'm very happy with it and am glad to have the headrest, and I also like the Gesture's adjustable arms.
mouth

Post by mouth »

Whakamole wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:12 am
Nearly A Moose wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:14 pm

You can see some photos/videos (with more details about the differences) here:
https://blog.szynalski.com/2017/08/revi ... e-gesture/
https://blog.szynalski.com/2019/04/revi ... case-leap/

But yes, with the Leap there's a control that lets you control whether it is locked into an upright position (there is a very small amount of give) vs being able to have it flex pretty far back. It's a nice feature.

About Madison Seating, or any company that sells these chairs refurbished - I would do your due diligence first. Madison (from some threads on reddit) does not use Steelcase parts when they refurbish chairs, and so there is no warranty.

I ended up buying mine direct from Steelcase (with a nice discount courtesy of an employee purchase plan), and seeing as I'll be working from home for the foreseeable future, it seemed like a good investment.
To be fair, it isn't like the reviews say this is a bad thing. But they note that *IF* you find you don't like that flex, and want it to be a very firm "lock" then you have to increase the tilt tension a lot. Then, when you do want to tilt back, the tension is likely to be too tight to actually lean back and you'll have to loosen it to actually lean back, then tighten it again when locked; rinse repeat. I think this is also why the Leap has 5 tilt stops vs the Gestures 3; the Gesture has a de-facto 'forth stop' with the flex.

But if you think you want a little flex from the upright and locked position, then this feature would be clutch.

For me, I'm very confident I DON'T want that feature, no less to pay for it nor the added adjustability of the arm rests (current chair's are fixed). The Leap arrives today, so I can come back with an update.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

Nearly A Moose wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:04 pm
MostlyABogleHead wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:55 am Steelcase 482 Amia is a wonderful chair to consider.

How is the quality of their fabrics? Looks like I could get a Leap for about $600 less than a new Gesture, which seems compelling...
I haven't had my LeapV2 from Crandall for long enough to know how it will last over the years, but i have no issues with their default black fabric for the LeapV2
MostlyABogleHead

Post by MostlyABogleHead »

Nearly A Moose wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:04 pm

The fabric is of high quality. I had the same model in my workplace. I don’t see any difference between the new and the remanufactured one from this site. I did not go for any fancy fabric covering. I open for the plain black.
mouth

Post by mouth »

Well I got the chair and am very happy. Ironically I'll have to get used to the different from it and my old leather fixed back (bought in 2005!!!). Mostly that the back comes up a lot to support, but that also means I sort of, can't get away from it [?] if you know what I mean. And being fabric vs leather means it pulls the back of my shirt up.

Anyway a few hours with it and I'm very happy. It is much smaller than my old chair and is thus much less imposing in it's space. It feels less "engulfing" than my other chair though. I'll get used to it. I mean I sit in a similar mesh backed chair at work. But clearly my highly refined tuchus is location calibrated :D

Surely this isn't really going to help your decision, and I'm two bottles of champagne in for #reasons :sharebeer but i figured I'd close the loop.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I did notice the Gesture is somewhat less than I saw it for earlier -- $825.00
https://www.spoofee.com/steelcase-gestu ... als/956463