Credit Card for Mid 600s Credit Score

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
23mako

Credit Card for Mid 600s Credit Score

Post by 23mako »

bogleheads,

I have a friend whose credit score is in the mid 600s. What would be a good credit card for him to start looking at to bulk up his score? The last thing I want is for them to apply to a card and get rejected. Any experience with the secured cards? His credit history has no negative marks but he has only paid off his student loans (in full) and has never had a car loan, been delinquent etc.

Thank you!
Jack FFR1846

Re: Credit Card for Mid 600s Credit Score

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Discover IT card. It's marketed to students making zero dollars. He'll get something like $1000 credit limit but it will build his credit if used responsibly. If you have a Discover card, send him an invitation. When he makes his first purchase using your link, you'll get $50 and he'll get $50. I did that for my son so he could do exactly the same thing....build up his credit score. But he was around 760, so a better risk.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

Both Capitalone and Discover have pre-qualification sites were you can test the water before applying. They both have secured cards that graduate to unsecured after a certain amount of time.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Another vote for Discover. Also, many credit unions have cards for this situation.