iPhone 12 Pro Max OR ...?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lthenderson

Re: iPhone 12 Pro Max OR ...?

Post by lthenderson »

I got my iPhone 12 Pro yesterday and spent this morning transferring from my iPhone 6s. I thought I was going to hate how big it was since the screen size was increasing from 4.7 to 6.7 inches but in reality the phone body was maybe a half inch longer than my 6s. The nixing of the home button and shrinking of the bezel made up the rest of the screen size difference. It is definitely fast and I have yet to charge it after a day's use. With the 6s, I could go about half a day before it was completely drained and that was even with the two year old battery. I was also impressed with how easy it was to transfer stuff. I just sat them next to each other on my desk and in less than five minutes it was done. Gone are the days of having to restore it from iTunes after first spending two hours updating iTunes and the phone IOS to the latest software possible.
Impatience

Post by Impatience »

I got a base model 12. Very happy so far after having used an X for a few years. If you’re planning on keeping it for that long I think you’ll be very satisfied with the pro/max 12 especially after the 6. It’s going to be blazing fast and the screen is a beauty. 5G is mostly a non factor now but hopefully that will change ... IMO the screen quality and processor alone make it.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

lthenderson wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:17 pm I got my iPhone 12 Pro yesterday and spent this morning transferring from my iPhone 6s. I thought I was going to hate how big it was since the screen size was increasing from 4.7 to 6.7 inches but in reality the phone body was maybe a half inch longer than my 6s. The nixing of the home button and shrinking of the bezel made up the rest of the screen size difference. It is definitely fast and I have yet to charge it after a day's use. With the 6s, I could go about half a day before it was completely drained and that was even with the two year old battery. I was also impressed with how easy it was to transfer stuff. I just sat them next to each other on my desk and in less than five minutes it was done. Gone are the days of having to restore it from iTunes after first spending two hours updating iTunes and the phone IOS to the latest software possible.
Can you expand on this? Does the stuff transfer via Wifi? I plan to order a 12Max soon and figured I'd have to do exactly what you stated...back up to iTunes (which I still keep up-to-date, but I understand it will become obsolete at some point) then restore to the new phone. So exactly how does your stuff migrate to a new phone?
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I purchased an iPhone XR for the bigger screen and love it.

I usually stay a model or two behind.

I will probably have a Max iPhone at some point. It is easier for me to see.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Leif

Post by Leif »

I also have a 6 plus, but with 64GB. I didn't even know you can get the 6+ with 128. The Apple website only lists 16 and 64.

Anyway,my phone is working well, doesn't seem to me to run slow. But the bottom microphone is out. Whenever I use it for a call I need to go on speaker. That is not always convenient.

I'm also looking at a replacement. Years ago I told myself when 5G comes out I'll upgrade. Now that it is out on Apple it appears 5G is not that much better than 4G/LTE unless you are near a mmWave transmitter. They are rare and seem to be meant for places like a stadium, since it has problems with a wall.

I'm considering the iPhone 12 or mini. The mini is small with the screen about the same size (5.4" vs. 6+ 5.5"). The 12 has a larger screen with approx. the same size phone. I'm only using about 1/2 the available memory, but I still want 128GB since I'll keep the phone for a while. I will also be shooting 4K video, which I bet will take a lot of memory.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:38 am
lthenderson wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:17 pm I got my iPhone 12 Pro yesterday and spent this morning transferring from my iPhone 6s. I thought I was going to hate how big it was since the screen size was increasing from 4.7 to 6.7 inches but in reality the phone body was maybe a half inch longer than my 6s. The nixing of the home button and shrinking of the bezel made up the rest of the screen size difference. It is definitely fast and I have yet to charge it after a day's use. With the 6s, I could go about half a day before it was completely drained and that was even with the two year old battery. I was also impressed with how easy it was to transfer stuff. I just sat them next to each other on my desk and in less than five minutes it was done. Gone are the days of having to restore it from iTunes after first spending two hours updating iTunes and the phone IOS to the latest software possible.
Can you expand on this? Does the stuff transfer via Wifi? I plan to order a 12Max soon and figured I'd have to do exactly what you stated...back up to iTunes (which I still keep up-to-date, but I understand it will become obsolete at some point) then restore to the new phone. So exactly how does your stuff migrate to a new phone?
Here's a video. It uses whatever technology AirDrop uses. iTunes would be more important for restoring your phone if it goes in for repairs or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE03ypWD5xs
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Lee_WSP wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:17 pm
Here's a video. It uses whatever technology AirDrop uses. iTunes would be more important for restoring your phone if it goes in for repairs or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE03ypWD5xs

Thank you!
rixer

Post by rixer »

I'm going down right now to buy the Samsung S20 FE 5G on sale at Best Buy for $350.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Like the person above, I don't think it used wifi since I hadn't even turned on the new phone until that point so it didn't know my wifi or password. I assumed it was bluetooth but it may be the AirDrop feature as well. It transferred all my photos, music, contacts, emails, settings and such over as well as whatever info individual apps store on your phone. I have yet to hook my new phone up to the computer/itunes. When I first turned on the new phone, transferring the data from my old phone came up fairly quickly in the process.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Leif wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:12 am I also have a 6 plus, but with 64GB. I didn't even know you can get the 6+ with 128. The Apple website only lists 16 and 64.

Anyway,my phone is working well, doesn't seem to me to run slow. But the bottom microphone is out. Whenever I use it for a call I need to go on speaker. That is not always convenient.

I'm also looking at a replacement. Years ago I told myself when 5G comes out I'll upgrade. Now that it is out on Apple it appears 5G is not that much better than 4G/LTE unless you are near a mmWave transmitter. They are rare and seem to be meant for places like a stadium, since it has problems with a wall.

I'm considering the iPhone 12 or mini. The mini is small with the screen about the same size (5.4" vs. 6+ 5.5"). The 12 has a larger screen with approx. the same size phone. I'm only using about 1/2 the available memory, but I still want 128GB since I'll keep the phone for a while. I will also be shooting 4K video, which I bet will take a lot of memory.
I'm leaning heavily toward Mini. I have an LG4 now - display is 5.5 so the mini is only a bit smaller. Mini=135 grams vs 164 for 12 vs 155 for my LG4. Wife just received a new 12 over the weekend. Nice device but it seems heavy. She uses hers more than I use a phone; typically at home I will use an iPad or PC so I have no real use for a phone in the house. If I remember to take mine when I leave the house it is typically in my pocket.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Just a reminder: The iPhone Pro Max can be ordered starting at 8AM eastern tomorrow, Friday November 6, 2020.
Topic Author
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

FYI, purchased through this deal:
https://slickdeals.net/f/14546177-iphon ... BarV2Algo1

Some hassle involved, but around $400+ savings after selling the Bose speakers on eBay.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

need403bhelp wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:45 pm FYI, purchased through this deal:

Some hassle involved, but around $400+ savings after selling the Bose speakers on eBay.
Discounting cash back from the credit card (since it’s not exclusive to that deal) I’m only calculating the savings of approximately $250 (100 headphones +150 net cash card)
Topic Author
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

Lee_WSP wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:42 am
need403bhelp wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:45 pm FYI, purchased through this deal:

Discounting cash back from the credit card (since it’s not exclusive to that deal) I’m only calculating the savings of approximately $250 (100 headphones +150 net cash card)
I didn’t do cash back from Chase credit card (don’t have freedom).

However, I did use the rebatesme cash back portal for 15% cash back which tracked correctly (so a little over $200 shown tracking for me). Rebatesme no longer has 15%, but givingassistant does (or did yesterday when I checked) and I actually used them to buy DW the 12 Pro. FWIW, I pretty routinely use cash back portals including giving assistant and rebatesme, although usually not for such high amounts. You do have to make sure you don’t have ad blockers enabled, etc. I usually use a fresh chrome incognito window with the setting to block tracking across the Internet in incognito DISABLED (ie it must be able to track you via cookies between websites). DW’s giving assistant order has not yet “tracked” in the portal, but I will give it a few days and reach out to them (others reporting 48 hours for this offer) if not tracked at that time. I’ve actually had pretty good experience with their customer support previously as I used them to book a few hotel stays that didn’t track and they were great and even followed up with me to make sure the cash back paid out correctly. I’ve also had them for some time so I am grandfathered to the free “power user” plan, not sure how exactly it works now with their “power user” cash back rate but I think it is a small fee ($6/year? ) if not grandfathered.

So missing piece is cash back from portals, which has been 15% from rebatesme and then giving assistant.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

Walmart has $200 off the purchase price (Verizon & ATT) without any weird hoops, so I went with that deal.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Lee_WSP wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:56 pm Walmart has $200 off the purchase price (Verizon & ATT) without any weird hoops, so I went with that deal.
The difference is that the Visible deal is an unlocked phone (I'm already using the one I got on Sprint), while with Verizon & AT&T it's almost certainly going to be locked upon activation. By the time you're on those networks long enough to unlock, you'll likely have paid close to $200.
Topic Author
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

Lee_WSP wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:56 pm Walmart has $200 off the purchase price (Verizon & ATT) without any weird hoops, so I went with that deal.
Full disclosure: I actually did WM deal first then returned it (before opening box) when learned more about Visible deal.

Pros about WM deal:
- instant discount, monthly payments with 0% inteeest with no prepayment penalty, zero hassle

Cons:
- at least for Verizon, their “list” price before $200 discount is actually $50 higher than Apple, so actual discount off Apple price was $150 for me
- for Verizon, you actually have to pay $40 upgrade fee if you go through this deal (but not, to my understanding , if you buy phone without going through Verizon). With that said, at least previously, some people were able to get this waived as a courtesy, although i also found lots of data points of people who called and were NOT able to get $40 upgrade fee waived. This was actually one of things that pushed me over to returning phone and doing visible deal, as with $40 fee it is really only $110 discount vs buying sim free from apple
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

02nz wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:02 pm
The difference is that the Visible deal is an unlocked phone (I'm already using the one I got on Sprint), while with Verizon & AT&T it's almost certainly going to be locked upon activation. By the time you're on those networks long enough to unlock, you'll likely have paid close to $200.
I have zero plans to change networks.

edit: Looks like just 60 days with Verizon
Last edited by Lee_WSP on Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

need403bhelp wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:06 pm
Full disclosure: I actually did WM deal first then returned it (before opening box) when learned more about Visible deal.

Pros about WM deal:
- instant discount, monthly payments with 0% interest with no prepayment penalty, zero hassle

Cons:
- at least for Verizon, their “list” price before $200 discount is actually $50 higher than Apple, so actual discount off Apple price was $150 for me
- for Verizon, you actually have to pay $40 upgrade fee if you go through this deal (but not, to my understanding , if you buy phone without going through Verizon). With that said, at least previously, some people were able to get this waived as a courtesy, although i also found lots of data points of people who called and were NOT able to get $40 upgrade fee waived. This was actually one of things that pushed me over to returning phone and doing visible deal, as with $40 fee it is really only $110 discount vs buying sim free from apple
Fair points. Food for thought for anyone else comparing the two.

If giving assistant was 15% instead of 7.5% and if I didn't severely dislike cash cards, I'd probably go for the Visible deal.

The cons for me with Visible are:
- Hassle
- No guarantee of the secondary referral based cashback rebate plus a long wait
- I'm just not familiar enough with Visible and the cashback referral sites
- I'm probably too old fashioned to want to jump through so many hoops for a couple hundred bucks

The 0% interest payment plan is a wash for me. I don't really care one way or the other, but 0% financing > payment upfront even though BH in general eschews debt like the plague.

That said, there's still time for me to cancel/return.... If I can't get them to waive the activation fee, maybe I'll go with Visible.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Lee_WSP wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:32 pm
need403bhelp wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:06 pm

Pros about WM deal:
- instant discount, monthly payments with 0% interest with no prepayment penalty, zero hassle

Cons:
Fair points. Food for thought for anyone else comparing the two.

If giving assistant was 15% instead of 7.5% and if I didn't severely dislike cash cards, I'd probably go for the Visible deal.

The cons for me with Visible are:
- Hassle
- No guarantee of the secondary referral based cashback rebate plus a long wait
- I'm just not familiar enough with Visible and the cashback referral sites
- I'm probably too old fashioned to want to jump through so many hoops for a couple hundred bucks

The 0% interest payment plan is a wash for me. I don't really care one way or the other, but 0% financing > payment upfront even though BH in general eschews debt like the plague.

That said, there's still time for me to cancel/return.... If I can't get them to waive the activation fee, maybe I'll go with Visible.
I ordered a 12 Pro Max going through RebatesMe (when it was 12%) and then a 12 via Giving Assistant. Both rebates are tracking (pending).

The Bose offer is super easy - you get an email with a code that you redeem.

The e-gift card is apparently sent as soon as you make the second payment. That can be spent pretty much wherever.

And at 5X I'm also getting a nice haul of Ultimate Rewards points (Chase Ink Cash, although Freedom would also work via PayPal.)

Even after tax I'm spending less on the 12 than I can sell my 11 for. Just the improved LTE performance (Qualcomm instead of Intel modem) is worth it.

And the whole process so far with Visible has been super smooth, probably a better experience than with any other carrier (traditional or MVNO) I've ever used. Probably enough to make me want to actually switch from Sprint when my promo period with Sprint is over. One concern I had was that I'd read their speeds were capped at 5 Mbps, but in my use I'm getting full speeds (50+).
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

02nz wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:45 pm
I ordered a 12 Pro Max going through RebatesMe (when it was 12%) and then a 12 via Giving Assistant. Both rebates are tracking (pending).

The e-gift card is apparently sent as soon as you make the second payment. That can be spent pretty much wherever.

And at 5X I'm also getting a nice haul of Ultimate Rewards points (Chase Ink Cash, although Freedom would also work via PayPal.)

Even after tax I'm spending less on the 12 than I can sell my 11 for. Just the improved LTE performance (Qualcomm instead of Intel modem) is worth it.

And the whole process so far with Visible has been super smooth, probably a better experience than with any other carrier (traditional or MVNO) I've ever used. Probably enough to make me want to actually switch from Sprint when my promo period with Sprint is over. One concern I had was that I'd read their speeds were capped at 5 Mbps, but in my use I'm getting full speeds (50+).
I can't get the 15% rebate to work for me. Keeps dropping down to 7.5%. If I can get an extra 15% cashback, this deal is hands down better, otherwise, it's close to a wash.

You still have to sell the headphones, but it's certainly a nice perk.

You get the rewards no matter where you spend the money.

I've tried other networks and have not been pleased so far.

You have to pay for 2 months of Visible ($80 unless you get on PartyPlay (still $60)).

further edit: I'm going to try and cancel my Walmart order. I don't think I'll be jumping on the Visible bandwagon. I'll see what the new year holds.

further update:
Tried the suggestion below. Visible does not seem to want my money, but I got givingassistant to give the 15%. So, I'm giving up after spending more than three hours on this.
Last edited by Lee_WSP on Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

Lee_WSP wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:58 pm
02nz wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:45 pm

I can't get the 15% rebate to work for me. Keeps dropping down to 7.5%. If I can get an extra 15% cashback, this deal is hands down better, otherwise, it's close to a wash.

You still have to sell the headphones, but it's certainly a nice perk.

You get the rewards no matter where you spend the money.

I've tried other networks and have not been pleased so far.

You have to pay for 2 months of Visible ($80 unless you get on PartyPlay (still $60)).

further edit: I'm going to try and cancel my Walmart order. I don't think I'll be jumping on the Visible bandwagon. I'll see what the new year holds.
Walmart Return: Start process online, go to Walmart they tell you (that has a "Walmart Mobile Desk"), just go to customer service/returns and return it there. I spent some time at this Walmart looking for the "Mobile Desk" but no one could point me in right direction. Finally, I went to returns and they processed everything. Money already back on my card (sales tax) & Verizon site says "upgrade eligible" so assume undone from their end also (will check on statement also).

Giving Assistant: I think to get 15% you have to go to Account Settings (click on top right hand green person icon) and under Membership click change and change to "Power User." I think there is some kind of fee, not sure when or how it is assessed. As mentioned, I had an account long enough (looks like 2016 per my GA account) that I am "grandfathered" as a Power User with no fee.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that my pending 15% cash back for Giving Assistant for DW's 12 Pro now tracked as "pending," payable I believe in 2/2021 from memory. Took ~48-60 hours to appear as pending.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

need403bhelp wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:16 pm Giving Assistant: I think to get 15% you have to go to Account Settings (click on top right hand green person icon) and under Membership click change and change to "Power User." I think there is some kind of fee, not sure when or how it is assessed. As mentioned, I had an account long enough (looks like 2016 per my GA account) that I am "grandfathered" as a Power User with no fee.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that my pending 15% cash back for Giving Assistant for DW's 12 Pro now tracked as "pending," payable I believe in 2/2021 from memory. Took ~48-60 hours to appear as pending.
I read the same elsewhere about Giving Assistant, but for whatever reason my (new) account showed 15% without having to change to "Power User." I didn't have to do a thing. My 15% cash back tracked as of about 60 hours after purchase.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Leif wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:12 am I'm considering the iPhone 12 or mini. The mini is small with the screen about the same size (5.4" vs. 6+ 5.5").
The diagonal measurement is misleading, as the newer iPhones have a much taller aspect ratio. The iPhone 12's 5.4-inch screen is taller but much narrower (and overall quite a bit smaller) than the 6/6S/7/8 Plus phones' 5.5-inch displays.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

I upgraded from Iphone 7 MAx, to Iphone 12 Max pro, love the battery life, it easily lasts all day, and the fast charge is amazing as well, so I used to spend so much time worrying about my battery and where a charger was now it easily lasts all day and I only have ot charge it for like half an hour at night. Camera is good and I only use the absolute most basic camera function.
Leif

Post by Leif »

02nz wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:05 pm
Leif wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:12 am I'm considering the iPhone 12 or mini. The mini is small with the screen about the same size (5.4" vs. 6+ 5.5").
The diagonal measurement is misleading, as the newer iPhones have a much taller aspect ratio. The iPhone 12's 5.4-inch screen is taller but much narrower (and overall quite a bit smaller) than the 6/6S/7/8 Plus phones' 5.5-inch displays.
The iPhone 6+ height is 6.22" and width is 3.06". Diagonal screen size 5.5". Pixels 1920x1080. 401 ppi.
The iPhone 12 height is 5.78" and width is 2.82". Diagonal screen size 6.1". Pixels 2532x1170. 460 ppi.

So the physical height is 93% and width 92% in the new phone. I don't have the height and width of the 12 screen, but it seems close to the physical size, not counting the notch at top.

My main concern is can I fit it in my pocket. The answer is yes, even easier than before, and still get a superior screen. Not only in size, but also in the OLED technology. Perhaps the wider aspect ratio is better for watching videos? I will try that out when physical access to the new phones has improved.
Last edited by Leif on Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Leif wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:31 pm
02nz wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:05 pm
The iPhone 6+ height is 6.22" and width is 3.06". Diagonal screen size 5.5". Pixels 1920x1080. 401 ppi.
The iPhone 12 height is 5.78" and width is 2.82". Diagonal screen size 6.1". Pixels 2532x1170. 460 ppi.

So the physical height is 93% and width 92% in the new phone. I don't have the height and width of the 12 screen, but it seems close to the physical size, not counting the notch at top.

My main concern is can I fit it in my pocket. The answer is yes, even easier than before, and still get a superior screen. Not only in size, but also in the OLED technology. Perhaps the wider aspect ratio is better for watching videos? I will try that out when physical access to the new phones has improved.

Does anyone know if the video playback can be scaled to exclude the notch area?
Your figures are for the 12, not 12 Mini which is what you referenced earlier. I wanted to point out that the Mini's screen is much smaller than your 6 Plus even though the diagonal measurements are nearly the same. (The width of the 12 Mini is 2.53 inches.)

I have a 12 and like the size, screen quality, etc. For someone used to the "Plus" size of 8 and earlier but looking for a bit more pocketability, it (or the size-size 12 Pro) is probably the right size. The 12 Pro Max is a bit larger physically than the "Plus" phones, but with a lot more display area.

As for video playback, it depends on the aspect ratio. The most popular aspect ratio is 16:9, and that will play on any of the "notch" iPhones without the notch being visible.
Leif

Post by Leif »

02nz wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:07 pm Your figures are for the 12, not 12 Mini which is what you referenced earlier. I wanted to point out that the Mini's screen is much smaller than your 6 Plus even though the diagonal measurements are nearly the same. (The width of the 12 Mini is 2.53 inches.)

I have a 12 and like the size, screen quality, etc. For someone used to the "Plus" size of 8 and earlier, it's probably the right size. The 12 Pro Max is a bit larger physically than the "Plus" phones, but with a lot more display area.

As for video playback, it depends on the aspect ratio. The most popular aspect ratio is 16:9, and that will play on any of the "notch" iPhones without the notch being visible.
At this point I'm zeroing in on the 12. Good to hear you like your 12. Thanks for the info on the notch on video playback. It was a concern.
Last edited by Leif on Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

Upgraded from 6s+ to 12 Pro Max, which I’ve had for a couple of days now.

The case size of the 12 max is almost identical to the 6s+, but the 12 max seems much bigger because:
a) lenses protrude quite a bit, increasing the effective thickness
b) 12 max is quite a bit heavier, very noticeable in my pocket
c) screen is much larger because of the shrunken bezel

I’m amazed by the battery life - all day usage only took me down to 80%.
KNMLHD

Post by KNMLHD »

For those who have jumped on the 12 Pro or 12 Pro Max, and have come from a 6/6s/7/8+... had a few questions, as we are looking to potentially upgrade (coming from 6s+), and will likely hold onto the next phone for a very long time.

For those who picked up a 12 Pro Max... After having the phone for a few days/weeks, have you gotten used to the weight difference or now second guessing and wish you had gone with the smaller 12 Pro?

Definitely waffling... larger screen size will likely mean selling our iPad. While the Pro Max may be heavier that a 6s+, I'm thinking that's one less thing (iPad) in travel bags. could possibly get away with a more minimalist case, and that could offset weight. Being frustrated with current battery life, the much bigger battery in the Max is also a draw... bigger screen... slightly better camera.

Any "second guessers" with the Pro Max?
dbr

Post by dbr »

KNMLHD wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:32 am For those who have jumped on the 12 Pro or 12 Pro Max, and have come from a 6/6s/7/8+... had a few questions, as we are looking to potentially upgrade (coming from 6s+), and will likely hold onto the next phone for a very long time.

For those who picked up a 12 Pro Max... After having the phone for a few days/weeks, have you gotten used to the weight difference or now second guessing and wish you had gone with the smaller 12 Pro?

Definitely waffling... larger screen size will likely mean selling our iPad. While the Pro Max may be heavier that a 6s+, I'm thinking that's one less thing (iPad) in travel bags. could possibly get away with a more minimalist case, and that could offset weight. Being frustrated with current battery life, the much bigger battery in the Max is also a draw... bigger screen... slightly better camera.

Any "second guessers" with the Pro Max?
FWIW my wife has tried different smart phones of friends. Her hands are too small to hold and operate the larger phones so the 12 like the 6 is about ok for here and the Pro Max clearly unusable. For me any phone larger and heavier than the 6 (now 12 pretty close) is too big and too heavy. One thing is whether I can slip it in the shirt pocket of a dress shirt if need be. For making phone calls if need be from somewhere outside the house I just carry an old flip phone that is half the size and weight of an iPhone 6. At least the flip phone has excellent talk and listen sound quality but you can't even text on it as a practical matter.

An iPAD and a phone are two different uses. For travel I carry both and also a small, not lighted Kindle. I did move from a regular iPAD to a mini to save weight, and the Kindle is the only device big enough to read a book on but small enough and light enough to not injure me if I drop it on my face while reading in bed. So there you are.

While smart phones are seen by some as the optimum accessory I view them as being deoptimized to the worst possible solution for each one specific need.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

dbr wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:20 am An iPAD and a phone are two different uses. For travel I carry both and also a small, not lighted Kindle. I did move from a regular iPAD to a mini to save weight, and the Kindle is the only device big enough to read a book on but small enough and light enough to not injure me if I drop it on my face while reading in bed. So there you are.

While smart phones are seen by some as the optimum accessory I view them as being deoptimized to the worst possible solution for each one specific need.
And I feel exactly the opposite. If you can get 1 device small enough to still be a portable phone and large enough to be a less portable iPad, why get both? I like my iPhone 12 Pro Max a lot and have been getting the larger iPhones since iPhone 7 Plus or whatever it was called. That's when I quit using an iPad.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:58 am
dbr wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:20 am An iPAD and a phone are two different uses. For travel I carry both and also a small, not lighted Kindle. I did move from a regular iPAD to a mini to save weight, and the Kindle is the only device big enough to read a book on but small enough and light enough to not injure me if I drop it on my face while reading in bed. So there you are.

And I feel exactly the opposite. If you can get 1 device small enough to still be a portable phone and large enough to be a less portable iPad, why get both? I like my iPhone 12 Pro Max a lot and have been getting the larger iPhones since iPhone 7 Plus or whatever it was called. That's when I quit using an iPad.
Without a doubt for personal accessories everyone has their own arrangement that works well for them.

You comment has caused me to think about ditching the smart phone altogether in favor of an iPAD mini and a flip phone. My iPAD has cellular data so there is no looking for WiFi to use it.

Then again, not being in up to date contact with technology is not so good. Probably for us a pair of iPhone 12 Pro are in the offing. As I said my wife can't manipulate the big phones and I don't care for it either. For her the biggest single use of the Phone would be as a camera, but again not if the device is too big to hold easily even if the MAX has the maximum photographic bells and whistles.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

dbr wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:33 am You comment has caused me to think about ditching the smart phone altogether in favor of an iPAD mini and a flip phone. My iPAD has cellular data so there is no looking for WiFi to use it.

Then again, not being in up to date contact with technology is not so good. Probably for us a pair of iPhone 12 Pro are in the offing. As I said my wife can't manipulate the big phones and I don't care for it either. For her the biggest single use of the Phone would be as a camera, but again not if the device is too big to hold easily even if the MAX has the maximum photographic bells and whistles.
For me there are too many useful phone apps for on-the-go use to give up the iPhone, and iPad doesn't work with CarPlay. And I don't really want to pay for two lines. Yes you can run phone apps on the iPad, but it'll be small or be awkwardly stretched/magnified if they're not native iPad apps. And the iPad mini 5 is a bit old/obsolete at this stage - I'd wait to see if/when Apple updates it to the new design, as it did with the Air. It's likely to have much smaller bezels, meaning a smaller footprint or larger display.

The 12 Pro doesn't have much over the 12, BTW, the main thing being an extra (telephoto) lens.
Last edited by 02nz on Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:58 am

I agree with you about the best tool being the one you have on your person, but a 10” screen is many times larger than a 7” ultra wide.
dbr

Post by dbr »

02nz wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:35 am
dbr wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:33 am You comment has caused me to think about ditching the smart phone altogether in favor of an iPAD mini and a flip phone. My iPAD has cellular data so there is no looking for WiFi to use it.

For me there are too many useful phone apps for on-the-go use to give it up, and iPad doesn't work with CarPlay. Yes you can run phone apps on the iPad, but it'll be small or be awkwardly stretched/magnified if they're not native iPad apps.
See, we're Neanderthals in the car. I have never connected my devices to my car. I got a new car a few years ago and the first thing my son did was try out the car play with his phone. That feature has not been used since. My wife's car has an audio tape player that she still uses all the time. I am not much of an enthusiast for combining driving and entertainment/communications, past maybe tuning in the radio to something I want to hear.

I don't think I have any apps that don't work fine on the iPAD. The phone has a few dozen I have loaded over the years and I admit I haven't checked all of them on an iPAD. I think the one's that might matter most if we can ever travel again are the airline and hotel apps, I guess. Zoom works really well on the iPAD and I can't imagine it on a phone. Our zoom calls are mainly on a big monitor desk top. It's all about how what each person finds is needed.

But again we will probably continue down the path of having at least two each of desktops, smart phones, iPADS, Kindle readers, flip phones*, MP3 players, CD players, smart TV, DVD player, and even a VHS tape player. *I still have a couple of quad band pocket phones that take a local SIM when travelling.
Living Free

Post by Living Free »

Why would you get apple care? Why does anyone buy warranties on items as inexpensive as a cell phone? Just buy the phone and view the cost of a new phone as the deductible. ~$1000 is a decent bit of money but if it’s too much to bear as a deductible then consider a cheaper phone such as the SE
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

KNMLHD wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:32 am For those who picked up a 12 Pro Max... After having the phone for a few days/weeks, have you gotten used to the weight difference or now second guessing and wish you had gone with the smaller 12 Pro?
To be honest I’m still adjusting to to the heavier feel in my pocket of the 12ProMax; it requires me to wear my belt a little tighter to keep from sagging.

But I love the screen size and battery life, so I still think I would choose it over the regular 12/12Pro.
KNMLHD

Post by KNMLHD »

oxothuk wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:26 am
KNMLHD wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:32 am For those who picked up a 12 Pro Max... After having the phone for a few days/weeks, have you gotten used to the weight difference or now second guessing and wish you had gone with the smaller 12 Pro?
To be honest I’m still adjusting to to the heavier feel in my pocket of the 12ProMax; it requires me to wear my belt a little tighter to keep from sagging.

But I love the screen size and battery life, so I still think I would choose it over the regular 12/12Pro.
Were you by chance coming from a 6s/7/8 Plus or non Plus/Max phone?
KNMLHD

Post by KNMLHD »

02nz wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:35 am The 12 Pro doesn't have much over the 12, BTW, the main thing being an extra (telephoto) lens.
A couple other things that you get with the Pro...

6GB Ram vs 4Gb and the LIDAR Sensor - both of which can come into play on the camera side (Ex night mode)
The Base 12 comes with 64GB of memory, the Pro base model starts at 128GB (obviously one can configure a 12 to add more)
Pro RAW

The Max gets you a larger sensor and better image stabilization, ~875 mah larger battery (3687mah vs 2815mah), and the obvious larger screen.
gips

Post by gips »

planning an upgrade from 6s plus, I read a review somewhere that the 5g iphones have much better 4lte reception. Attractive for us as we don't have reliable cell reception in our home.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

Living Free wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:04 am Why would you get apple care? Why does anyone buy warranties on items as inexpensive as a cell phone? Just buy the phone and view the cost of a new phone as the deductible. ~$1000 is a decent bit of money but if it’s too much to bear as a deductible then consider a cheaper phone such as the SE
If one has a toddler who drops ones phone often, Apple Care easily pays for itself with one camera lens replacement.

It's also valuable if oneself is a klutz, but you'd know it and Apple Care is a no brainer.
Last edited by Lee_WSP on Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

dbr wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:46 am I still have a couple of quad band pocket phones that take a local SIM when travelling.
Quaint! :-) Since you're planning on upgrading to the iPhone 12: it (like the last few generations of iPhones) supports eSIM, an embedded SIM in addition to the SIM card slot. So basically it's a dual-SIM phone. Download an eSIM app like Airalo or Truphone, and you can buy data from right in the phone for really cheap (many countries $3 or so per GB). No more swapping SIM cards or standing around at airport phone shops. If your stateside plan has cheap roaming for calls (like T-Mobile) you can even use that simultaneously with the eSIM.
Last edited by 02nz on Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Lee_WSP wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:09 pm
Living Free wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:04 am Why would you get apple care? Why does anyone buy warranties on items as inexpensive as a cell phone? Just buy the phone and view the cost of a new phone as the deductible. ~$1000 is a decent bit of money but if it’s too much to bear as a deductible then consider a cheaper phone such as the SE
If one has a toddler who drops ones phone often, Apple Care easily pays for itself with one camera lens replacement.
What are toddlers doing with expensive smartphones?!
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

02nz wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:11 pm
Watching PBS Kids or YT Kids or taking photos or otherwise being quiet while dad is doing something important. What else would they be doing?
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Lee_WSP wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:15 pm
Watching PBS Kids or YT Kids or taking photos or otherwise being quiet while dad is doing something important. What else would they be doing?
Amazon's tablets are much better suited for that. Cheap and actually pretty durable. Handing a $500-1000 phone to a toddler is asking for trouble.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

I just got iPhone 12 pro max and it’s the best phone I ever had.
My Galaxy S20 feels like a toy compared to it.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

02nz wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:18 pm
Lee_WSP wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:15 pm
Amazon's tablets are much better suited for that. Cheap and actually pretty durable. Handing a $500-1000 phone to a toddler is asking for trouble.
Same reason I don't lug around a DSLR everywhere I go. The best tool is the one you actually bring with you. Apple Care is only $200.

Also, they're little monkeys. Even if you keep your phone on your person, a determined toddler will get their hands on it.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

KNMLHD wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:36 pm

I had a 6s+ before.

12 Pro Max has very similar height and width as 6s+, but the lens protrusions make it thicker and it is noticeably heavier than the 6s+
Topic Author
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

oxothuk wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:36 pm
KNMLHD wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:36 pm

I had a 6s+ before.

12 Pro Max has very similar height and width as 6s+, but the lens protrusions make it thicker and it is noticeably heavier than the 6s+
Ended up with 12 Pro Max over 6+.

Camera really is oodles better and I find myself taking single photo rather than the multiples I used to take just to get shot I want.

Battery is amazing compared to 6+, which had battery replaced few years prior.

With Otterbox Defender Pro, phone is definitely noticeably bigger and bit heavier. This means I cannot use some shirt pockets to carry phone (some still work), and I do feel weight more although it has not changed anything for me.