[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
heartwood

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by heartwood »

Fargo Season 4 on FX broadcast TV.

I watched e1 last night and taped e2.

I'll reserve judgement but I had a hard time with understanding the episode. Lots of background. If there was Coen-style humor or irony I missed it.

Frankly I'll watch e2, but if not for the Fargo movie and the 3 prior seasons of the TV series as impetus that better may be coming, I'd go on to something else. There are apparently 11 episodes.

In a similar vein I posted re e1 and e2 of Raised by Wolves on HBO Max. It's a sci-fi series with the first 2 episodes directed by Ridley Scott. I've now watched all 9 episodes. I actually thought there were more coming, but it seems there's to be a 2nd season.
I wish I had the hours back I spent watching. Perhaps an interesting premise, but the pacing is glacial. It could easily have been done in half the time.
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

Line of Duty. British police procedural about a fictional anti-corruption unit (AC-12) that investigates crooked (or 'bent' as the Brits like to call it) cops. Really good series. First four seasons (five in total so far) available on Amazon Prime.
rixer

Post by rixer »

Filthy Rich. :moneybag
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

McMafia

First British drama that I enjoyed

8 episodes and one of the best finales I’ve seen
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Shetland.

A "good guy" (thus far, and seems likely to continue, but who knows) Inspector living in the Shetland Islands does his thing solving crime.
He also seems to be a rather gentle person, especially compared with many of the [sometimes much] grittier types in other series.

But given that there are very small and very sparsely populated islands there (especially the most recent episode we saw, where there were only 70 people living on the island of interest), it's quite different from the "big city" dramas.
And very refreshing...

We find that when we are watching these (all of these police procedural types, not just Shetland) we are really "right there, in the moment with them", which is such a welcome respite these days.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

rixer wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:14 am Filthy Rich. :moneybag
Wife watched a few episodes and said it was like "The Righteous Gemstones", but not funny. Definitely my type of humor, maybe I'll give it a shot.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I'm watching Californication, on season 5 of 7. Honestly I lost interest around season 3 or so but since I was almost halfway through I figured I would finish it up. I mainly have it on in the background and am not 100% paying attention. I started watching it from a co-worker's recommendation and the fact that I liked David Duchovny in the X-Files. I really hate most of the characters honestly and am just watching in hopes something terrible happens to them. :)

There are good bits, like when Hank is somber and serious, but those are few and far between.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Call the Midwife, on Netflix.

Season 9 is now available, we enjoy it.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Watch s1.e1 of Code 404 on the new Peacock service. I liked it. First episode is free, then I think it's $4.99/month with ads; $9.99/mo w/o.

Its a Brit show with heavy accents. Sort of a comedy Robocop. I chuckled more than once in less than a half hour. You can see the humor setups coming, but its still funny. And at least one scene at the end of a rooftop parking scene that's especially good.
EvanRude

Post by EvanRude »

Peakey Blinders
Fauda
Schitts Creek
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

Last night on Netflix, I stumbled across a documentary on Dolly Parton. Quite a remarkable lady.
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

Just finished Season 4 of La Casa de Papel (Money Heist). If you can force yourself to just watch the first 2 seasons, I would say it is highly recommended ... sort of unbelievable but very fun. Seasons 3 & 4 are a bit of a drag ... not looking forward to Season 5 at all.

Just saw Episode 1 of Lovecraft Country. It's totally fun and very well done. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of it.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Emily in Paris about a young lady from Chicago who gets transferred to a marketing job in the fashion industry in Paris.C'est très drôle, promis.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:40 pm Emily in Paris about a young lady from Chicago who gets transferred to a marketing job in the fashion industry in Paris.C'est très drôle, promis.
There is a bit of controversy here in Chicagoland because there is a throwaway line in the opening episode that slanders a local pizza chain. Lou Malnattti's says they get along great with all the other "pizza styles" and are happy to engage in jokes and pizza related banter with NY style pizza lovers and makers, as well as those from Naples Italy. They are miffed as to why the script writers would disparage an individual chain by name, particularly during the pressure restaurants of all sizes and styles are fighting for survival are under.
FWIW, this 30 year Chicagoan considers Lou Malnotti's the best of Chicago style pizza outfits. Help them out, if you can, by ordering a pie or 2 off their webpage.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Capsu78 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:40 pmThey are miffed as to why the script writers would disparage an individual chain by name...
This decision is also puzzling because the series tackles similar rivalries in for instance fashion labels and champagne using made-up names rather than real names, at least names I recognize. I took their "Pierre Cadault" character to be a parody of Pierre Cardin.
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

Capsu78 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:40 pm
Bylo Selhi wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:40 pm Emily in Paris about a young lady from Chicago who gets transferred to a marketing job in the fashion industry in Paris.C'est très drôle, promis.
There is a bit of controversy here in Chicagoland because there is a throwaway line in the opening episode that slanders a local pizza chain. Lou Malnattti's says they get along great with all the other "pizza styles" and are happy to engage in jokes and pizza related banter with NY style pizza lovers and makers, as well as those from Naples Italy. They are miffed as to why the script writers would disparage an individual chain by name, particularly during the pressure restaurants of all sizes and styles are fighting for survival are under.
FWIW, this 30 year Chicagoan considers Lou Malnotti's the best of Chicago style pizza outfits. Help them out, if you can, by ordering a pie or 2 off their webpage.
Yeah, an insult of that sort doesn't seem right. By the way, we have three of those pizzas in our freezer.
"Well, she was just seventeen, You Know What I Mean, and the way she looked... was way beyond compare."
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:46 pm Heads up - Season 8 of Wentworth (Netflix) starts on Wednesday, September 30.

I'm only a few episodes into Season 1, so I have a ways to go.
We just finished the latest season of Wentworth - this is one of my all time favorite series (right next to Breaking Bad). Not for the light of heart.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

new2bogle wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:42 am We just finished the latest season of Wentworth - this is one of my all time favorite series (right next to Breaking Bad). Not for the light of heart.
I'm just finishing Season 7 with 8 queued up and ready to go. Yes, it's violent but at least most of it is understandable given the circumstances. At least it's not as gratuitous as a lot of recent TV shows and especially movies.

Another good Aussie series we've watched recently is Total Control. It was nice to see that Liz found job after Wentworth ;)

And good news for Trekkies, Star Trek: Discovery is back for season 3.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

ResearchMed wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:10 pm Shetland.

A "good guy" (thus far, and seems likely to continue, but who knows) Inspector living in the Shetland Islands does his thing solving crime.
He also seems to be a rather gentle person, especially compared with many of the [sometimes much] grittier types in other series.

But given that there are very small and very sparsely populated islands there (especially the most recent episode we saw, where there were only 70 people living on the island of interest), it's quite different from the "big city" dramas.
And very refreshing...

We find that when we are watching these (all of these police procedural types, not just Shetland) we are really "right there, in the moment with them", which is such a welcome respite these days.

RM
Shetland is an excellent series, you will enjoy it. In addition to the plots and characters, I loved the scenery.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:09 am
new2bogle wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:42 am We just finished the latest season of Wentworth - this is one of my all time favorite series (right next to Breaking Bad). Not for the light of heart.
I'm just finishing Season 7 with 8 queued up and ready to go. Yes, it's violent but at least most of it is understandable given the circumstances. At least it's not as gratuitous as a lot of recent TV shows and especially movies.

Another good Aussie series we've watched recently is Total Control. It was nice to see that Liz found job after Wentworth ;)

And good news for Trekkies, Star Trek: Discovery is back for season 3.
I'm in the middle of Wentworth Season 3 and can't stop watching. I would agree that it ranks up there with Breaking Bad. Orange is the New Black was good on its own, but it's at least one level down from Wentworth. The final season of Orange is the New Black was somewhat disappointing.

I'm hoping Wentworth Season 8 is good. Not like Season 8 of Dexter, which totally ruined what was an excellent series (hint: Just watch the first 7 Seasons).

FYI - Word on the internet suggests Dexter is coming back for Season 9 on Showtime. Unless they can pull a miracle, and put it on Netflix or Amazon Prime, I think I'll pass.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:54 pm
FYI - Word on the internet suggests Dexter is coming back for Season 9 on Showtime. Unless they can pull a miracle, and put it on Netflix or Amazon Prime, I think I'll pass.
The last season was just a dream, now we're going to end it correctly?
Artful Dodger

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Artful Dodger »

Raised by Wolves on HBO. Keeps getting better.

Schitt’s Creek. I’d never watched but saw they did well at the last Emmy’s, so thought I’d give the show a try. It’s really funny.
oncorhynchus

Post by oncorhynchus »

Finished bingeing all seasons of Letterkenny on Hulu.

o
-- Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. --
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Normal People on HULU.

Although having a knack for understanding English/Irish/Scottish accents, I use the subtitles so I don't miss anything.

Not our generation but interesting if this is normal life for young people these days that don't quite fit in. The high school to university switch is interesting.

Reading the book too after I read the first two reviews on Amazon. First review said it was the worst book ever, second review had 5 stars. Had to read it just for that reason. After about 8 chapters would have to say it's closer to the 5 star review than 0 stars.
MillennialFinance19

Post by MillennialFinance19 »

DW and I have been watching two episodes per night of ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’ for months now. It’s hysterical. We’re literally sitting in bed laughing continuously.
VTI and chill until 57...
KFBR392

Post by KFBR392 »

Babylon Berlin on Netflix. It follows a homicide detective in Berlin during the time of the Weimar Republic. I'm not typically a binger but I roared through the first two seasons. The third season's macro-plot is a little less compelling but it still held my interest. Great music, costumes, mystery. Huge cast. Some of the sex and crime stuff can be a little lurid. If you like Roxy Music, it features a lot of jazz covers and one episode even has a Bryan Ferry cameo.

Lovecraft Country on HBO Max. I'm only two episodes in so far but it's very entertaining. Scary, gory. Sort of like an R-rated Fringe. It explores "the conjunction between the horror fiction of H.P. Lovecraft and racism in the United States during the era of Jim Crow laws." Some people might be turned off by the racial stuff but I think it gives the series some depth and bottom to counterbalance the kooky supernatural stuff.
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

Artful Dodger wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:58 pm Raised by Wolves on HBO. Keeps getting better.
Ending was terrible
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

A few I recently enjoyed

https://youtu.be/ORTiUjZRiho (McMafia trailer)

https://youtu.be/4CJ5p4XisHs (Gangs of London trailer)

https://youtu.be/79rtcCnaeyo (Warrior, based on Bruce Lee’s writings)
vveat

Post by vveat »

Unorthodox - it's a German-American miniseries on Netflix, just 4 episodes.
I had read the book recently and it was memorable in its own way, but the show has taken a creative spin on it to great effect. The movie alternates between Yiddish and English with smatterings of German and the action goes back and forth between Brooklyn and Berlin. Amazing actors and very realistic costumes. There is also a 20-min documentary about the making of the movie, also worth watching.
Bmac

Post by Bmac »

“Ted Lasso” on Apple +. It’s soccer adjacent. Really a fish out of water comedy. Starring Jason Sudeikis as a Texas football coach who moves to London to manage a struggling English soccer team. Funny, but heartfelt and warm. Highly recommended.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

mak1277 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:01 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:54 pm
The last season was just a dream, now we're going to end it correctly?
Maybe the worst finale for a show I've ever seen.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:54 pmFYI - Word on the internet suggests Dexter is coming back for Season 9 on Showtime. Unless they can pull a miracle, and put it on Netflix or Amazon Prime, I think I'll pass.
Dexter: A serial about a serial killer of serial killers ;)

‘Dexter’ Limited Series Revival Ordered at Showtime. FWIW Netflix carries the previous Dexter series so likely will offer the revival too. I wonder how many of the original cast members will come back and who will play Dexter's nemesis.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

flaccidsteele wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:02 pm
Artful Dodger wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:58 pm Raised by Wolves on HBO. Keeps getting better.
Ending was terrible
Oh great. Thanks a lot. :?
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Enjoyed the 2020 season premier of Shark Tank. Something about it is fascinating, wonder how much is staged?
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
aqan

Post by aqan »

OA
Ted Lasso
Loved both.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

Just finished Designated Survivor, first two seasons were AWESOME, third season got taken over by Netflix and was just ok. Overall great show, absolute must watch!! Now I am finishing The 100, season 7,but didnt like season 6 and so far season 7 same. Next is either Schitts creek, or that new haunting show, waiting for season three of Cobra Kai, one of the best shows out there.
KESP

Post by KESP »

Bmac wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:10 am “Ted Lasso” on Apple +. It’s soccer adjacent. Really a fish out of water comedy. Starring Jason Sudeikis as a Texas football coach who moves to London to manage a struggling English soccer team. Funny, but heartfelt and warm. Highly recommended.
Agree. It’s the best thing I’ve watched in quite some time.
I also like Grace and Frankie on Netflix. It’s the only reason I’m not canceling yet.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

The Virginian. INSP channel.

Free, over the air (OTA) channel.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

After hearing a lot about Foyle's War here, and after finishing some other terrific British TV series, we just finished the first episode of Foyle's War.

Not surprisingly, we really enjoyed it.
And once again, we especially like the actor and acting of the main role.
They do a great job with many of these shows.

We are glad there are many episodes of this one :happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

'The best TV shows of 2020 so far' (BBC) https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/202 ... 020-so-far
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

Animal Kingdom, watched all 4 seasons in two weeks. Just started Power, really good show, currently on season 3. Highly recommend both
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

The show just recently ended, but I just started to binge "Schitt's Creek" and finished season one last night.

I've also watched Cobra Kai (Karate Kid spin off staring Ralph Macchio and William Zabka AKA Johnny), Kingdom and The Haunting of Bly Manor. Fun fact I just found out today - Uncle Henry from Bly Manor was Elliot in E.T.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Cobra Kai is very good.

COBRA on PBS is pretty good but my wife doesn't like it.

Away didn't work for me, stopped after three episodes. Not enough space, too much drama.

I have to go back and finish Narcos Mexico, that is a good show. And Ozark, when it comes out.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Just finished Criminal Minds season 12. We started with season 1 back in Jan and have steadily watched 1 show almost every day - with breaks now and then to watch new seasons of other shows. The quality of the show obviously peaked a while back, and the eps are somewhat formulaic but we still enjoy the characters. Started season 13 last night. We are not binge-watchers - so we have a huge backlog of other shows to consider after we finish Criminal Minds.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Random Musings wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:35 pm Cobra Kai is very good.
Without a doubt the corniest show I've ever seen (which I think is the point). I watched the entirety of the first 2 seasons, primarily out of nostalgia, but I don't think I can stomach another season.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:27 am
Without a doubt the corniest show I've ever seen (which I think is the point). I watched the entirety of the first 2 seasons, primarily out of nostalgia, but I don't think I can stomach another season.
I thought Season 1 was genuinely hilarious. I'm less enthusiastic about S2 (2/3 of the way through at this point). I agree that it will be tough to get me excited about S3.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:27 am
That's why I enjoy it, sometimes it's great just to watch something nostalgic.

Everyone has different tastes. I'm not interested in, or have stopped watching many of the recommended shows on this thread as they are not to my liking.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

DW & I just finished the first three episodes of Mystery Road on Amazon Prime. It's an Australian cop/mystery, and we are liking it very much. Hope it continues down the same road.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I just completed the 3 part (roughly 1 hr each) series called Mrs. Wilson. I won't say too much to give anything away. It was slow but good and a bit sad. Basically a woman's husband (probably 20+ yrs older than her) passes away and she founds out there may be other Mrs. Wilson's out there.

Oh, and it is based on a true story.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

First time looking at this thread. Thanks for the suggestions!

I searched to see whether anyone mentioned "Tehran," and could not find a cite.

Tehran is on Apple TV+, and is developed by some of the group that did Fauda. It is an Israeli series about a Mossad agent operating in Tehran. Very interesting. Highly recommend.