TSP and Personal Capital

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
LIGuy82

TSP and Personal Capital

Post by LIGuy82 »

I can get my TSP data to load into Personal Capital, but since the TSP funds do not have tickers, Personal Capital is unable to track performance. I tried inputting fund tickers that correspond to the TSP funds, but the problem is the share prices are different (which made me very wealthy for a few seconds according to Personal Capital). Has anyone found a workaround for this problem?
Fishing50

Re: TSP and Personal Capital

Post by Fishing50 »

Focus on getting the total value accurate in Personal Capital. Enter an amount of proxy shares that equals the total dollar amount in TSP at the share price of the proxy shares. I use iShares S&P 500 (IVV) for C Fund, so My Morningstar account shows fewer shares than TSP. I reconcile once a year to adjust for tracking error and contributions.

S Fund- Fidelity Extended Market Index (FSMAX)
G Fund- Vanguard Short-term Treasury (VFISX)
I Fund- iShares MSCI EAFE (EFA)
F Fund- iShares Core US Bond (AGG)
2yrs from military pension. 80 equites / 20 bonds for life, ZERO emergency fund, 100% taxable in equities (dividends in cash), 33% taxable, 30% Roth, 37% tax deferred. | Gone Fishing At 52yrs old!
junior

Post by junior »

LIGuy82 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:29 pm I can get my TSP data to load into Personal Capital, but since the TSP funds do not have tickers, Personal Capital is unable to track performance. I tried inputting fund tickers that correspond to the TSP funds, but the problem is the share prices are different (which made me very wealthy for a few seconds according to Personal Capital). Has anyone found a workaround for this problem?
Personal Capital does give me a performance number. I have no idea if it is accurate but I just tested it and looked up "this year" and it says my year to date TSP has 13.02% performance in the last 291 days. You may be looking in the wrong place on the site? Or maybe your data isn't loading from the TSP?
deadlymonkey

Post by deadlymonkey »

Did you get Personal Capital to keep loading your TSP or do you have to redo 2nd factor auth every time? I have almost stopped using PC because all my accounts need me to get 2nd factor access codes to my email every time I log on.
DiploInvestor

Post by DiploInvestor »

deadlymonkey wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:34 am Did you get Personal Capital to keep loading your TSP or do you have to redo 2nd factor auth every time? I have almost stopped using PC because all my accounts need me to get 2nd factor access codes to my email every time I log on.
I use the Fidelity aggregator, not PC, but the TSP’s 2FA means I need to manually update whenever I check balances. Since TSP is supposed to go to phone/text 2FA only by the end of October, it will get that much harder to check (in my current posting). More secure, but kind of annoying.
"History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes." -- Mark Twain // "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." — Cicero
junior

Post by junior »

deadlymonkey wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:34 am Did you get Personal Capital to keep loading your TSP or do you have to redo 2nd factor auth every time? I have almost stopped using PC because all my accounts need me to get 2nd factor access codes to my email every time I log on.
You need to do the 2nd factor every time. It's not a big deal: I only try to update it once a month or so, but I guess if I had a ton of different accounts at different companies it could be annoying.
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

Are you accumulating or in the withdrawal phase, or in-between (i.e., few changes in share number)?
Does Personal Capital have the ability to manually update the share price?
I just manually update share prices in TSP funds in Quicken once a quarter for rebalancing decisions.
Topic Author
LIGuy82

Post by LIGuy82 »

Yes but that is no big deal. I just type my email in, receive the code, and enter it.
Topic Author
LIGuy82

Post by LIGuy82 »

Fishing50 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:33 am Focus on getting the total value accurate in Personal Capital. Enter an amount of proxy shares that equals the total dollar amount in TSP at the share price of the proxy shares. I use iShares S&P 500 (IVV) for C Fund, so My Morningstar account shows fewer shares than TSP. I reconcile once a year to adjust for tracking error and contributions.

S Fund- Fidelity Extended Market Index (FSMAX)
G Fund- Vanguard Short-term Treasury (VFISX)
I Fund- iShares MSCI EAFE (EFA)
F Fund- iShares Core US Bond (AGG)
Thanks for this info. Currently, Personal Capital (PC) draws the info from TSP without a problem, so the amounts are correct. However, it does not show gains/losses (as if just deposited the amount), which messes up my portfolio analysis over time. IF I understand you correctly, I should
1. Delink TSP from PC
2. Manually put in the funds you noted above so that the dollar value matches my TSP value.
3. Update as needed (monthly/quarterly/annually)

If the above is accurate, do you have any advice how I might make it go backwards three years or so I can figure it out myself, but why reinvent the wheel.

To answer your question, I am in the accumulation phase. Thanks for your help!
Fishing50

Post by Fishing50 »

I've found tracking performance during accumulation is difficult because contributions are counted as gains in most automated programs. If you really want to track basis and performance, I suggest building a spread sheet. Morningstar website offers more options than the app.
2yrs from military pension. 80 equites / 20 bonds for life, ZERO emergency fund, 100% taxable in equities (dividends in cash), 33% taxable, 30% Roth, 37% tax deferred. | Gone Fishing At 52yrs old!
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

Fishing50 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:00 am I've found tracking performance during accumulation is difficult because contributions are counted as gains in most automated programs. If you really want to track basis and performance, I suggest building a spread sheet. Morningstar website offers more options than the app.
This is what I do to complement PC. Each years version of my spreadsheet has a column for starting amount, contributions, and ending balance. Super simple to track performance of each account that way. I used to update each month, then stopped caring as much so I do that part semi-annually now. Easy to filter for YTD contributions at the various websites.