Looking for a three row SUV; $90k budget

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Tingting1013

Looking for a three row SUV; $90k budget

Post by Tingting1013 »

Pretty much what the title states. Budget is $90k + taxes.

Consideration set:

Tesla Model X
Audi SQ7
Mercedes GLS
BMW X7 M50i

Any others worth checking out?
bubbadog

Re: Looking for a three row SUV; $90k budget

Post by bubbadog »

Toyota Land Cruiser or Lexus LX570
ahmadcpa

Post by ahmadcpa »

$90K is luxury country. Teslas, Q7s or X7s are are luxury SUVs

BUT, they're all over the place and therefore, I'd go with

Range Rover Sport
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

bubbadog wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:24 am Toyota Land Cruiser or Lexus LX570
This is what I'd go for too.
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

Tingting1013 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:44 pm Pretty much what the title states. Budget is $90k + taxes.

Consideration set:

Tesla Model X
Audi SQ7
Mercedes GLS
BMW X7 M50i

Those are fine if you are just looking to show off your wealth.

If you want a comfortable dependable utilitarian 3 row suv test drive the Ford Expedition Platinum with Ecoboost or the Ford Explorer Platinum with Ecoboost or the Toyota 4Runner TRD.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

bugleheadd wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:31 am
Can't go wrong with a Toyoya product.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Hands down, the all new Escalade.
keith6014

Post by keith6014 »

+1
sd323232

Post by sd323232 »

No love for suburban? Or too big?
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Loaded Suburban or Yukon XL Denali or Ford Expedition Max loaded up.

People, cargo, tow, comfort.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

A high trim Mazda CX9 and two $25,000 splurge vacations.

Test drove one last week. Every bit as nice as the luxury brand contenders. (My primary car is a BMW.)

I've owned two Miatas. Mazda understands car enthusiasts.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

ahmadcpa wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:40 am $90K is luxury country. Teslas, Q7s or X7s are are luxury SUVs

BUT, they're all over the place and therefore, I'd go with

Range Rover Sport
Only to lease, not buy.
RootSki

Post by RootSki »

Volvo XC90 T8 (7 seats).
Topic Author
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

RootSki wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:21 am Volvo XC90 T8 (7 seats).
This is a very interesting option I’m looking more into. The plug-in hybrid model is an especially intriguing alternative to the Tesla.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

Lincoln Navigator should be on your list. SQ7 has the lease interior room - I would not buy it if I was looking for a 3 row for space.
Topic Author
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

bogledogle wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:33 am Lincoln Navigator should be on your list. SQ7 has the lease interior room - I would not buy it if I was looking for a 3 row for space.
I would actually prefer a shorter vehicle all else being equal. Easier to park on city streets.
RootSki

Post by RootSki »

Tingting1013 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:32 am
This is a very interesting option I’m looking more into. The plug-in hybrid model is an especially intriguing alternative to the Tesla.
Depending on your driving habits the T8 can be super economical or total powerhouse. I have the XC60 T8, it is by far the best all-around vehicle I’ve driven. Go for the Bowers and Wilkins sound if $90K is your budget.
VGisforme

Post by VGisforme »

Get a fully loaded Honda Pilot and pocket $40-45k or ditto a Kia Telluride or Hynduai Pallisade.

If you really want to spend money get an SRT Durango with the 6.4 or the Hellcat version ;)
Gemini

Post by Gemini »

Depends on if you actually want to use the third row seat - if so Q7 is out as the third row is horrendous

Depends on if you want trunk space with the third row up - this takes out Volvo , Tesla as trunk space takes a HUGE hit with the 3rd row up

Depends on if you want the thing to handle like a car vs a boat - this takes out Escalade, expedition, Denali etc

Options X7 and GLS - test drive both. drive on X7 is much better and so is the handling IMO
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

Outer Marker wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:38 am A high trim Mazda CX9 and two $25,000 splurge vacations.

Test drove one last week. Every bit as nice as the luxury brand contenders. (My primary car is a BMW.)

I've owned two Miatas. Mazda understands car enthusiasts.
Mazda makes decent vehicles but they aren’t anywhere near as nice as a Mercedes GLS or Audi Q7. Not even in the same league.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

atikovi wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:52 am Hands down, the all new Escalade.
Agreed. Cadillac did a GREAT job with the new Escalade and it’d be at the top of my list for $90K.
WL2034

Post by WL2034 »

Do you want to actually tow and go off-road with it or just have a luxurious 3-row vehicle to drive around town. The GMC Yukon / Yukon XL denali is brand new for 2021 along with the Escalade. I would get one of those (or the Lincoln Navigator) if planning to tow and/or go offroad.

Lexus LX570 or Land Cruiser if you value reliability over updated electronics.

Otherwise I would pick the XC90 over the GLS but that is just my personal preference. They are both luxurious and a bit smaller than the GM / Ford offerings.
HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn »

Another vote for the Toyota Land Cruiser.
wunderkind

Post by wunderkind »

There's precious little information on what the SUV is for. For example, why it needs 3 rows. If it is for hauling people, I suggest looking at minivans. They are for more practical than SUVs for hauling people and stuff. A Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Stinky wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:06 am
Can't go wrong with a Toyoya product.
Except most of the time.
Rudedog

Post by Rudedog »

Yukon
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

I'm assuming you are looking for a 3 row SUV due to having kids? If so, lot of great options in the list you gave. I would caution against buying foreign luxury SUVs outright as they can get expensive and cumbersome to maintain once you get into higher mileage, especially with all of the tech. Considering leasing if you are comfortable with that.

Tesla - great, but not if you take road trips with the family. You'll need a second SUV for that, which kind of defeats the purpose.

MB GLS - great SUV. It is very comfortable, and the newer ones have nice interiors. It is the S-Class of SUVs. I have had an MB and loved it. One of the best cars.

Volvo XC 90 - don't do it. Look nice and are comfortable, but horribly unreliable (unless you lease). We were in the market for one until we did some research on Consumer Reports and other websites and found out how many issues people have with them.

Land Cruiser - don't do it either. 90k for a Toyota is crazy, especially when it is not even nice on the inside or outside. It guzzles gas and looks like a mid-range SUV from the 90s. It hasn't had any meaningful updates in years, and the only reason it costs so much in the states is its "history," but for that price there are way better options. People just buy it because they want to have a Land Cruiser. Definitely don't buy the Lexus version either. They are plain ugly with that new grill design.

Audi - they are pretty boring. They make comfortable SUVs and they are reliable, but there's nothing special about them. They are just expensive VWs.

Other Options:

Yukon Denali. I owned one and loved it. The gas mileage was bad for city driving - hence why I didn't buy another - but because it is based on the GMC truck platform, it is incredibly reliable, as well as being cheap and easy to maintain. It was also the most comfortable SUV I've driven or owned, and it could fit kids and a bunch of stuff (as well as tow a lot).

I would also suggest looking at a Range Rover. Depending on what you are looking for in an SUV they are very, very nice to drive and very comfortable. Not a car I would ever buy, but if you lease it and turn it back in before the warranty expires, it could be a good option.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

I will only talk about the cars I know.

Toyota products are very reliable a great options if that is what your interested in, but as others have said outdated. The land cruiser is great for off roaring if that is anything you are interested in.

Tesla is a great SUV for around town driving. You can road trip but I personally would not want to road trip in an electric car.

Audi, very nice comfortable luxury SUV. Reasonable reliability for a German car.

Mercedes and Range Rover or gorgeous pieces of garbage. They are great when they work but if you are one of the unlucky ones you will spend plenty of time at the dealer. I would only lease if I had to. Personally never on my list.

I have no reasonable knowledge of the other options provided. I like to own my cars for about 10 years. Personally I would get a Lexus because our family like to road trip. If this is for just around town I would definitely get the Tesla.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
mgensler

Post by mgensler »

The Tesla X has worked well for our family of 6. The back row is a bit tight but the kids don't seem to mind. We've also taken it on multiple long distance trips (1,000 to 2,000) miles. Charging has never been an issue for us. We do take 15 minutes to plan out a long trip. When to start, where to charge, and where we stay. With the Tesla Supercharger coverage and expansion it keeps getting easier.
Skierajs

Post by Skierajs »

RootSki wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:35 pm
Tingting1013 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:32 am
Depending on your driving habits the T8 can be super economical or total powerhouse. I have the XC60 T8, it is by far the best all-around vehicle I’ve driven. Go for the Bowers and Wilkins sound if $90K is your budget.
+1 and to respond to the comments about issues I think the XC90 T8 has been around long enough they have worked out the issues and made regular improvements. We’ve had one for almost 3 years now with no issues. 10 year OEM warranty is cheap to add (look on google, you don’t have to buy it from your dealer).

You may regret not buying the Tesla every so often because it lacks the prestige and while the tech on board is good, it’s definitely not a Tesla. You won’t ever be able to let the XC90 self drive you around. But for $90k the Volvo is a bit more versatile (road trips, vacation rental without chargers) and in my opinion, more comfortable.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

Tingting1013 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:44 pm Pretty much what the title states. Budget is $90k + taxes.

Consideration set:

Tesla Model X
Audi SQ7
Mercedes GLS
BMW X7 M50i

Well...did you end up looking at any of them?

Sort of curious your impressions.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

wunderkind wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:44 am There's precious little information on what the SUV is for. For example, why it needs 3 rows. If it is for hauling people, I suggest looking at minivans. They are for more practical than SUVs for hauling people and stuff. A Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna.
Unless one lives in a climate where snow is inevitable then it makes much more sense to buy a 4WD SUV to tackle the powder. Plus minivans are just...ugly. Wouldn't be caught dead buying one.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Suburban/Yukon XL. I had one to pull a boat and a racecar and to plow snow. The width and room inside are the selling features. Say you have two tweens who do nothing but fight. One in the second row driver seat, other in the third row passenger side. They physically cannot touch each other. (been there). They can, however smile at each other which will cause yelling and complaining.

Between the shorter Tahoe and Yukon, personally, I felt the longer XL/Suburban were far more usable. Want to throw a bike in behind the 3rd row? No problem. 3 of them? Still no problem. Remove the 3rd seat and put a stack of 4x8 sheets of plywood fully inside with room to spare.

With an enclosed racecar trailer, it tows so well, once, on the way home from the track, in the dark, I panic'd, thinking I had lost the trailer because I couldn't feel it.

On the down side, historically, GM managed to completely screw something up. On my generation (2000), it was the brake lines. They all rusted out and all had to be replaced. The following generation, it was transmissions. I don't know what new ones do.

We went from that to a 3 row 07 Explorer. Comparatively, the Explorer was significantly smaller and in my opinion the smallest where the 3rd row makes any sense at all. There is close to zero room behind the 3rd seat.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:45 pm Suburban/Yukon XL. I had one to pull a boat and a racecar and to plow snow. The width and room inside are the selling features. Say you have two tweens who do nothing but fight. One in the second row driver seat, other in the third row passenger side. They physically cannot touch each other. (been there). They can, however smile at each other which will cause yelling and complaining.
That’s funny because the use case I am trying to solve for is having two rear facing toddlers who freak out when they can’t see mommy.

Good to know 3 row functionality is useful at all ages of development :D
Topic Author
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

Workaholic wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:31 pm

Consideration set:

Tesla Model X
Audi SQ7
Mercedes GLS
BMW X7 M50i

My wife told me she literally saw every one of these at the daycare parking lot this morning.

And now she wants the X :D
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

Tingting1013 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:59 pm

Consideration set:

Tesla Model X
Audi SQ7
Mercedes GLS
BMW X7 M50i

My wife told me she literally saw every one of these at the daycare parking lot this morning.

Sounds like momma knows what she wants! Sort of surprised by the X as it probably is the least functional/luxurious of all of your options but women know what they like.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

What about Acura MdX? Drove vollvo x90..seats felt little rigid..engine felt fine.. BMW X7 has good reviews
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Consideration set:

Tesla Model X
Audi SQ7
Mercedes GLS
BMW X7 M50i

Sounds like you must live in a pretty affluent area. :moneybag
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
Topic Author
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

Stinky wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:25 pm

Consideration set:

Tesla Model X
Audi SQ7
Mercedes GLS
BMW X7 M50i

Sounds like you must live in a pretty affluent area. :moneybag
It is bimodal. High end young professionals side by side with long time age-in-placers.
Topic Author
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

Workaholic wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:03 pm

Consideration set:

Tesla Model X
Audi SQ7
Mercedes GLS
BMW X7 M50i

Sounds like momma knows what she wants! Sort of surprised by the X as it probably is the least functional/luxurious of all of your options but women know what they like.
We are going to rent one on Turo and take it down to LA. With two toddlers in tow, that should be the ultimate test.
TigerNest

Post by TigerNest »

Wow, I hadn't realized SUV prices even went that high.
arf30

Post by arf30 »

I'd probably go with the Germans, but the Escalade just got redesigned and is supposedly the best in the segment now. The X isn't really on par with other luxury cars.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

Depends on 2 things....style and how long do you wish to keep it...want over 350K at least...get a Land Cruiser or a Sequoia...either will do it...EASY...I have done with both...I drive a LC...bulletproof and not much style and sucks gas...if you only car about style, get the Caddy...I had one a few years ago as my company car...nice ride...went back to dealer about once a month for something but she was a beauty Clark. Good luck!
anhonymous

Post by anhonymous »

Acura MDX?
Adam R

Post by Adam R »

After renting a Land Cruiser for 5 weeks and bombing around the Australian outback in 2000, we later picked up our 1999 100 Series in 2004 with 40K miles on it here in the US. 16.5 years later, it's still my wife's daily driver and it currently has 275K miles on it. Runs and drives better than most new new vehicles, so when the question comes up about which SUV to own, I'm really biased. Additionally, over 16+ years and 235K miles that we've put on it, I've had less than $1000 of out of cycle maintenance repairs. Brakes, tires, fluid changes and 90K mile timing belt changes don't count. Now, I do do my won wrenching and repairs, but it's only been to the dealership for alignments since we've owned it. My other Land Cruiser is a 1993 off-road toy, but I daily drive it as well and it has 282K miles on it with the same reliability as the 1999. Other selling points of the Toyota's are that they have a real ladder frame, and per Mr. Toyoda, they are built with a design life of 25 years and 500,000 miles. The next Landcruiser will be a 2016 or later 200 series once my wife agrees to let me take over her 1999 and turn it into the next toy.

Now, the Sequoia's are nice, but they are not built to the same standard as the current 200 series model, although much of the drive train is now shared between the two platforms. Additionally, if you are looking for longevity and reliability, you can skip right on past the Range Rover. Audi's and Teslas's will likely have newer and more modern gadgets and the Ford and Chevy are probably solid performers, but you'll fit right in with many thousands of others on the road right now so not much excitement in those two. However, being attracted to diesel's, I'd give the Tahoe a solid look with their new in-line 3.0 diesel. I've heard good things about that engine so far.

Adam
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Workaholic wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:33 pm
wunderkind wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:44 am There's precious little information on what the SUV is for. For example, why it needs 3 rows. If it is for hauling people, I suggest looking at minivans. They are for more practical than SUVs for hauling people and stuff. A Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna.
Unless one lives in a climate where snow is inevitable then it makes much more sense to buy a 4WD SUV to tackle the powder. Plus minivans are just...ugly. Wouldn't be caught dead buying one.

And SUVs are not? I personally see now difference between minivans, trucks, SUVs, they are all very ugly utilitarian vehicles. The kind you drive only to do the job done, because you have to. At least minivans are not loaded with tasteless shinny chrome.
On the other hand they are a lot more practical.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Consideration set:

Tesla Model X
Audi SQ7
Mercedes GLS
BMW X7 M50i

A Sequoia. And you'll have $25K left to invest afterward. It'll likely last longer than all of those. We have two in the garage with over 350,000 miles between the two of them. I fully expect the older one (255K miles) to last another 5 years.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Adam R wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:30 pm After renting a Land Cruiser for 5 weeks and bombing around the Australian outback in 2000, we later picked up our 1999 100 Series in 2004 with 40K miles on it here in the US. 16.5 years later, it's still my wife's daily driver and it currently has 275K miles on it. Runs and drives better than most new new vehicles, so when the question comes up about which SUV to own, I'm really biased. Additionally, over 16+ years and 235K miles that we've put on it, I've had less than $1000 of out of cycle maintenance repairs. Brakes, tires, fluid changes and 90K mile timing belt changes don't count. Now, I do do my won wrenching and repairs, but it's only been to the dealership for alignments since we've owned it. My other Land Cruiser is a 1993 off-road toy, but I daily drive it as well and it has 282K miles on it with the same reliability as the 1999. Other selling points of the Toyota's are that they have a real ladder frame,
This is a major minus on road, isn't it?
HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn »

Adam R wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:30 pm After renting a Land Cruiser for 5 weeks and bombing around the Australian outback in 2000, we later picked up our 1999 100 Series in 2004 with 40K miles on it here in the US. 16.5 years later, it's still my wife's daily driver and it currently has 275K miles on it. Runs and drives better than most new new vehicles, so when the question comes up about which SUV to own, I'm really biased. Additionally, over 16+ years and 235K miles that we've put on it, I've had less than $1000 of out of cycle maintenance repairs. Brakes, tires, fluid changes and 90K mile timing belt changes don't count. Now, I do do my won wrenching and repairs, but it's only been to the dealership for alignments since we've owned it. My other Land Cruiser is a 1993 off-road toy, but I daily drive it as well and it has 282K miles on it with the same reliability as the 1999. Other selling points of the Toyota's are that they have a real ladder frame, and per Mr. Toyoda, they are built with a design life of 25 years and 500,000 miles. The next Landcruiser will be a 2016 or later 200 series once my wife agrees to let me take over her 1999 and turn it into the next toy.

Now, the Sequoia's are nice, but they are not built to the same standard as the current 200 series model, although much of the drive train is now shared between the two platforms. Additionally, if you are looking for longevity and reliability, you can skip right on past the Range Rover. Audi's and Teslas's will likely have newer and more modern gadgets and the Ford and Chevy are probably solid performers, but you'll fit right in with many thousands of others on the road right now so not much excitement in those two. However, being attracted to diesel's, I'd give the Tahoe a solid look with their new in-line 3.0 diesel. I've heard good things about that engine so far.

Adam
Agree with Adam about the very low cost of ownership of the Land Cruiser, once you drive the car off the lot, assuming you paid for it up front. I believe I had only $1500 of out of cycle repairs on the 2000 until the past few years when I have had a couple of random repairs. I bought it to haul children around 20 years ago, and those same children took it to college.

I am not a car person so cannot comment on most of the models under discussion, but I have spent a fair bit of time in two different new Range Rover models and do not find either to be particularly comfortable. I also have not seen one with a third row, but perhaps a Land Rover is being considered instead.

Adam--do you know if the timing belt has to be replaced again at another interval? My 2000 only has 160K miles on it, but it has been the years since the first timing belt was replaced.