Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2020!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
ClaycordJCA

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2020!

Post by ClaycordJCA »

Alas, I am treading water and didn’t make my 9/15 date. DW is awaiting word on a possible treatment for her chronic migraines. Until that is finalized, I continue to work for our group health insurance. Best move my date to TBD.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

ClaycordJCA wrote: Alas, I am treading water and didn’t make my 9/15 date. DW is awaiting word on a possible treatment for her chronic migraines. Until that is finalized, I continue to work for our group health insurance. Best move my date to TBD.
Thank you for the update, let us know when you have your R-date. We hope everything turns out well for you and your wife :happy
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of Wisdom" - Pillar 3: Time Marches On. Time dramatically enhances capital accumulation as the magic of compounding accelerates.
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

onthecusp wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:02 pm After watching these threads for a couple of years I've made a decision. April 3, 2020 is the plan. Tired of the megacorp culture all the time. I had hoped to make the jump this year, after one more year I'm certain we can make it work now. A little more in savings, a little more understanding of what our expenses will be.

I hope the definition police don't object to a part time plan that involves consulting, but I'm sure looking at it as a retirement and if no actual work turns up we can make it just fine. Thanks Bogleheads! :sharebeer
Adding 6 months to the original plan makes tomorrow the day. I gave notice two weeks ago and am very excited. It is not easy leaving long term co-workers and tossing years of project files in the trash made me realize what has been accomplished. Happy to enter a glide retirement.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

onthecusp wrote: Adding 6 months to the original plan makes tomorrow the day. I gave notice two weeks ago and am very excited. It is not easy leaving long term co-workers and tossing years of project files in the trash made me realize what has been accomplished. Happy to enter a glide retirement.
Very happy for you, onthecusp! I love the image of tossing years of project files in the trash :D especially knowing that they actually accomplished something throughout the years.

Welcome to your Glide Retirement and to this Awesome Retirement 2020 Class. Please keep us posted on how your glide goes and what you're up to.
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of Wisdom" - Pillar 3: Time Marches On. Time dramatically enhances capital accumulation as the magic of compounding accelerates.
Daneo

Post by Daneo »

Hi retired in Jan this year after 40 years with same privately owned company did electrical and manufacturing equipment repair.Was very lucky to have owners who had a profit share retirement plan and were very generous a lot of 15 percent contribution years.Really miss the people there but not the stress of the job.Love sleeping in and having morning coffee with wife we do a nice hour hour and half walk in the hills every morning then off to gym most days work on the yard and spend a day or two on our rental complex. Did a month on the big island February then a few weeks in Scottsdale for spring training then COVID hit so back to Oregon where we’ve done a lot of trips, retirement has been awesome,Daneo
TOM1964

Post by TOM1964 »

I’m out. I worked for an airline the past 25 years, and they abruptly offered a buyout for two years of salary (at 70% of what I was making) and 5 years of medical benefits. I was planning on working no more than three more years anyway, so I bailed just shy of age 57. I’ll live longer this way.

I live in a rural, LCOL area though the taxes are above average. Spent the morning swimming laps at the local health club, spent the rest of the day stacking firewood for the coming winter, and now it’s time for cocktails. It’s unseasonably warm outside, with a gusty, raging wind. Must be awful to try to get a smooth landing in winds like that.

Best of luck to us all.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Daneo wrote: Hi retired in Jan this year after 40 years with same privately owned company did electrical and manufacturing equipment repair. Was very lucky to have owners who had a profit share retirement plan and were very generous a lot of 15 percent contribution years. Really miss the people there but not the stress of the job. Love sleeping in and having morning coffee with wife we do a nice hour hour and half walk in the hills every morning then off to gym most days work on the yard and spend a day or two on our rental complex. Did a month on the big island February then a few weeks in Scottsdale for spring training then COVID hit so back to Oregon where we’ve done a lot of trips, retirement has been awesome, Daneo
Congratulations, Daneo, on your retirement! You're on this great Roll Call. Sounds like you had a nice working life and created a financially comfortable retirement - who could ask for more? :D

Thank you for sharing your new retirement life with us and we're happy you find it awesome. We wish you many years of sleeping in and morning coffee with your wife, hikes through this great and beautiful country, and new and memorable retirement activities
:sharebeer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TOM1964 wrote: I’m out.
The two best words in retirement land 8-)
TOM1964 wrote: I worked for an airline the past 25 years, and they abruptly offered a buyout for two years of salary (at 70% of what I was making) and 5 years of medical benefits. I was planning on working no more than three more years anyway, so I bailed just shy of age 57. I’ll live longer this way.
A great retirement offer - time to punch out! Welcome to this Awesome Retirement Class :D
TOM1964 wrote:I live in a rural, LCOL area though the taxes are above average. Spent the morning swimming laps at the local health club, spent the rest of the day stacking firewood for the coming winter, and now it’s time for cocktails. It’s unseasonably warm outside, with a gusty, raging wind. Must be awful to try to get a smooth landing in winds like that.

Best of luck to us all.
What an enjoyable beginning for you, thank you for sharing it with us :happy Also appreciated that you still see the world through the eyes and talents of your profession as a pilot - nice that you don't have to land those planes anymore!

Taylor posted this about retiring at age 57:
Taylor wrote:

I retired 36 years ago at the age of 57. Unquestionably one of the best decisions of my life.

What's not to like when I can wake up each morning at any time I want, to do whatever I want, including conversations with my Boglehead friends such as this.

It's a beautiful life . . .

Best wishes,
Taylor
TOM1964, we wish you a long and enjoyable retirement!
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

I had posted in the 2021 thread with my anticipated exit date. However, due to Covid and poor business conditions my company is looking for volunteers to exit now. I've raised my hand and my last day will be 11/4/2020. I've spent half my life working for this company, so it is bittersweet, but the timing seems right. Now I need to start shopping for my own insurance. :(
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Do you realize you're covered by COBRA? If not, start a thread in the Personal Finance forum and ask for help (or search my posts :wink: ).

Instead of doing this on your own, use a medical insurance broker to do the work for you. Google "medical insurance broker" to find someone near you. They do this stuff every day. Give them your situation and they'll set you straight in no time flat.

I'm using one now. His advice was to stay on COBRA, then give him a call when the insurance term is up (October 2021). I'll certainly do that. Done.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

I'll second the COBRA suggestion to at least consider it. You can take it upon retirement and keep it (for typically 18 months, they will give you paper work with details) or drop it during ACA open enrolment assuming that stays an option. I also consulted with a Health insurance broker (you should too) and she thought the COBRA plan was better than what else was available for my circumstances. COBRA is basically an extension of your current insurance, continues this years deductible and max spend limits, for the cost of your current contribution plus the company contribution plus a small administrative adder. If you have covered dependents they can also continue or opt out at Medicare age with premium savings.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

goblue100 wrote: I had posted in the 2021 thread with my anticipated exit date. However, due to Covid and poor business conditions my company is looking for volunteers to exit now. I've raised my hand and my last day will be 11/4/2020. I've spent half my life working for this company, so it is bittersweet, but the timing seems right. Now I need to start shopping for my own insurance. :(
OK goblue100! We'll include you on this 2020 Roll Call - you'll enjoy every minute every day being in your new class!

And you'll be in the same class with LadyGeek - how cool is that?! 8-)

"Half your life working for this company, so it is bittersweet . . ." - oh we understand. But . . . of all the bittersweet and stressful things that could happen today, being provided with a retirement PUNCH OUT earlier than expected is probably going to be a welcome relief. And really, you deserve it. And if you need help, we're here to help you plan your time :D

We wish you a long and rewarding retirement full of friends and family and food and fun, many new adventures and an everlasting portfolio :beer
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

goblue100 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:22 am I had posted in the 2021 thread with my anticipated exit date. However, due to Covid and poor business conditions my company is looking for volunteers to exit now. I've raised my hand and my last day will be 11/4/2020. I've spent half my life working for this company, so it is bittersweet, but the timing seems right. Now I need to start shopping for my own insurance. :(
Go Blue!
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:44 pm
OK goblue100! We'll include you on this 2020 Roll Call - you'll enjoy every minute every day being in your new class!

And you'll be in the same class with LadyGeek - how cool is that?! 8-)
That is very cool, indeed.
Miriam2 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:44 pm "Half your life working for this company, so it is bittersweet . . ." - oh we understand. But . . . of all the bittersweet and stressful things that could happen today, being provided with a retirement PUNCH OUT earlier than expected is probably going to be a welcome relief. And really, you deserve it. And if you need help, we're here to help you plan your time :D

We wish you a long and rewarding retirement full of friends and family and food and fun, many new adventures and an everlasting portfolio :beer
Thank you for the encouragement and kind words, they are much appreciated.

And Normchad, I will be glued to the tv tonight!

Edit: I see a lot of people put their age on the roll call. I'll add mine, as I found it an interesting data point. I thought I would be one of the younger ones on the list, but at a glance it would appear I'm right in the median for this year.(Understanding this is Bogleheads and not the country at large!) I'm 59.
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns
Mishigami

Post by Mishigami »

First post (after lurking daily for a few years).
Retired at 58 on August 31, 2020. I'm grateful for all the knowledge, guidance, and courage gleaned from the members of this forum. :sharebeer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Normchad wrote: Go Blue!
goblue100 wrote: And Normchad, I will be glued to the tv tonight!
Another maize and Go Blue alum here :D
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

A stirring rendition of the victors, and much needed since the band was not there to play it in person!
captaindorky

Post by captaindorky »

Put me on the list. Our last day of work is 10/30.

After years of consideration, we finally decided to put in our notices and start the next chapters of our lives. We have recently sold our primary house and downsized considerably. Plan is to hit the road in our rig and see the continent. No specific plans. Wander around. Take our time. National Parks will be primary destinations. After we are tired of the road, who knows? It's exciting to think about the endless options that are out there.

Thank you to everyone that contributes on this forum. This is an amazing resource that has helped to clarify so many financial questions in our life!

CD
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

captaindorky wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:42 pm Put me on the list. Our last day of work is 10/30.

After years of consideration, we finally decided to put in our notices and start the next chapters of our lives. We have recently sold our primary house and downsized considerably. Plan is to hit the road in our rig and see the continent. No specific plans. Wander around. Take our time. National Parks will be primary destinations. After we are tired of the road, who knows? It's exciting to think about the endless options that are out there.

Thank you to everyone that contributes on this forum. This is an amazing resource that has helped to clarify so many financial questions in our life!

CD
That’s coming right up! Congratulations and enjoy your journeys!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

captaindorky wrote: Put me on the list. Our last day of work is 10/30.
OK Captain, you're on the Roll Call and part of this Fabulous Retirement Class of 2020!
captaindorky wrote:After years of consideration, we finally decided to put in our notices and start the next chapters of our lives. We have recently sold our primary house and downsized considerably. Plan is to hit the road in our rig and see the continent. No specific plans. Wander around. Take our time. National Parks will be primary destinations. After we are tired of the road, who knows? It's exciting to think about the endless options that are out there.
Sold your house and downsized considerably, pile what's left in the rig, and off you go to wander and explore this great beautiful country - sounds like a great adventure and freewheeling beginning to a nice retirement. We wish you all the best :D

captaindorky wrote:Thank you to everyone that contributes on this forum. This is an amazing resource that has helped to clarify so many financial questions in our life!
Yes, this is an amazing resource! Even helped you pick up and pack up your new rig! 8-)