Auto insurance costs – USAA vs ????

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
BoomerM3

Auto insurance costs – USAA vs ????

Post by BoomerM3 »

I have been insured by USAA for many years, both homeowners and auto. I’m seeing comments that USAA prices for auto insurance are higher than other firms. I’m unsure how to go about getting quotes from other firms.

I get two “rebates” form USAA each year; one for being a member and another for being old. These refunds are based on USAA profitability and my payments for the year. Unfortunately, the refunds are not broken out. Auto is not separated from homeowners. Therefore, comparison is difficult.

Two questions.

Do any of the internet comparison sites provide accurate cost data?

Has anyone figured out how to figure the true cost of auto insurance at USAA?

Thanks.
Jack FFR1846

Re: Auto insurance costs – USAA vs ????

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

As for getting quotes, certainly, you could go to each company's site and do an online quote. For the many companies served by independent agents, go to an independent agent, tell them your situation and let them search. Some companies offer specific discounts. Multi car, AAA, good student, low mileage, etc, etc and some don't. My agent has recommended I switch when situations change (we have an extra car, so they asked about mileage for all and applied low mileage) and when son was in college, is he "good student", and sent the form and applied the discount.

One thing I do know. You absolutely cannot believe the commercials. Although I own BRK/b shares, so would love for you to buy from Geico and push money my way through some stock increase in value, I know when my son was looking, Geico was literally double what my company quoted him (MAPFRE).

You sort of need to do your own legwork.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Golf maniac

Post by Golf maniac »

I have been with USAA for years. Each year I look for better auto/home rates when my home insurance is coming due. About 5 years ago I went with a big company that gave me a huge discount on auto compared to USAA. Six months later they jacked my rates back up to what USAA offered, so I went back to USAA. While I can pay a few hundred bucks less each year I have decided to stay with USAA. I get high quality customer service from them and some of the nightmares I read online about some of the other companies keep me with USAA.
CCG84

Post by CCG84 »

With USAA it really depends on what tier you are in. You can find out which tier you are in if you look at your policy. Someone might have more details but it goes something like this:

Top Tier - Military Officer (Can't beat the rates and benefits in this tier. I'm convinced when you hear about the great USAA pricing it's because people are in this tier)
2nd Tier - Enlisted, Officer's dependents, Employees (Based on personal experience this tier is competitive with other insurance companies)
3rd Tier - Don't want to be here... High rates

USAA didn't like my wife's driving record and they had her at a crazy high rate (she was an employee of USAA with no previous claims). We switched to Amica and they have been good. USAA didn't try to win back our business and I had been a 10+ year member (enlisted military).
furwut

Post by furwut »

No insurer is the cheapest for ALL people for ALL time. Rates change, people’s circumstances change. Every 1 - 2 years get a few quotes to compare.
BGeste

Post by BGeste »

I was with USAA for years. I got frustrated with the constant rate increases for my car and home insurance. Two years ago I shopped and decided to buy a bundle of car, home, and umbrella from Geico. I saved over 50 percent with Geico for exactly the same coverages. I wish i had switched from USAA years ago. I am very pleased with Geico.
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

CCG84 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:14 pm With USAA it really depends on what tier you are in. You can find out which tier you are in if you look at your policy. Someone might have more details but it goes something like this:

Top Tier - Military Officer (Can't beat the rates and benefits in this tier. I'm convinced when you hear about the great USAA pricing it's because people are in this tier)
2nd Tier - Enlisted, Officer's dependents, Employees (Based on personal experience this tier is competitive with other insurance companies)

That is close, but WOs and senior NCOs are also in the supposed top tier. That doesn't get away from the fact that 1, USAA doesn't speak of their caste system publicly, and 2, USAA is rapidly getting away from its core clientele--the military.

I've been associated with USAA for 17 years and there isn't much that is currently keeping me with them other than their 2.5% card and currently competitive insurance rates.
BUBear29

Post by BUBear29 »

policygenius.com
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.
exarkun

Post by exarkun »

I read a lot as well about people saying their rates were higher with USAA so checked into it myself .
I have the top tier of their insurance and recently used both policygenius and gabi to shop for auto and home rates. Both services came back that I had a better rate than anything they could find.

I really think they're hurting their name by having these confusing multiple insurance tiers that are actually different companies but people associate them all as USAA.
Check your auto insurance card/policy to see if you actually have USAA or one of their sub companies for insurance. Those are the lower tiers others refer to and you will have some other name on your auto insurance card/policy.

Here are the names for the different products/companies I found on another forum when researching this.

The USAA Property and Casualty Group consists of the following:
United Services Automobile Association (USAA) applies to: officers, pre commission officers
USAA Casualty Insurance Company (CIC) applies to: enlisted, ex-dependents of USAA eligible members
USAA General Indemnity Company (GIC) applies to: enlisted w/out a sponsor
Garrison Property and Casualty Insurance Company (GAR) applies to: Adult children or ex-spouse of CIC/GIC/GAR sponsor
kaufeegurl

Post by kaufeegurl »

We have been USAA members for 42 years - my husband is a member through his father (Army officer). There are indeed 3 tiers which USAA does not talk about but there are vast differences in pricing. The first tier is active and retired military (and I believe it is open now to enlisted). The second tier is USAA CIC (casualty insurance company) and that is the tier we are in - former dependents of first tier. Garrison is their third tier and what my children started in. Garrison is extremely expensive and not competitive. I shop our auto,home, and umbrella every couple of years. USAA rates for us are still the best. Occasionally an insurer will beat their rates but that is with underlying discounts that expire within 6M - 1yr.

We were lucky to jump on the 2.5% limitless cash back CC when it opened for application in our state. That card was only available for a short time in limited number of states but USAA has not closed that CC for current cardholders. Yet.

I will say that USAA is not even close to the same company we started with. They have greatly expanded eligibility and added a ton of financial products and services. I know people who have not have good experiences with them but we have always had exceptional service.
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

BoomerM3 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:47 am I have been insured by USAA for many years, both homeowners and auto. I’m seeing comments that USAA prices for auto insurance are higher than other firms. I’m unsure how to go about getting quotes from other firms.

I get two “rebates” form USAA each year; one for being a member and another for being old. These refunds are based on USAA profitability and my payments for the year. Unfortunately, the refunds are not broken out. Auto is not separated from homeowners. Therefore, comparison is difficult.

Two questions.

Do any of the internet comparison sites provide accurate cost data?

Has anyone figured out how to figure the true cost of auto insurance at USAA?

Thanks.
I've been down this road several times. Each time I got a lower quote from Geico. Each time I called USAA to see if they could match Geico and they couldn't/wouldn't. Each time I asked USAA if they could break out the percentage of my rebates ( I get both the Subscriber Savings Account and Senior Rebates) attributable specifically to auto insurance (I have homeowners, valuable personal property, umbrella also) and they couldn't/wouldn't.)

In doing research I found that Geico allegedly low-balls quotes and eventually raises premiums after you've been with them for a while. I don't know for sure how true this is.

On the few occasions I've had body work done as a result of fender benders, ivevbeen told by body shop owners that USAA is much less of a hassle to deal with than many other companies. I've also found them to be hassle-free.

About a month ago, during a bi-weekly Zoom session with 6-8 other retired officers, I asked if anyone had switched from USAA to save a few bucks. Every one of them expressed confidence in USAA's rates and service.

I'm in the top tier and have been with them since the late 1960's. At 75 I'm sure my driving days will not be continuing forever. I've decided to stick with USAA for the duration unless some seriously negative experience changes my thinking. Also, as I try to simplify our financial matters (such as our portfolio) to make them as easy as possible for my wife to deal with if I'm the first to die, sticking with one insurance company for all needs makes sense to me,
Friar1610
WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli »

I feel like both USAA and Vanguard are suffering from the same "disease". I guess because of a need for growth they are slowly abandoning the needs of those who go them where they are.

Having said that, I live in Florida and I would never leave USAA as the alternative could be a disaster. I shared all my USAA insurance with multiple independent agents in Florida and they all have said for me to stay where I am, they could not beat it either in service or even availability.
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com
tj

Post by tj »

kaufeegurl wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:01 am We have been USAA members for 42 years - my husband is a member through his father (Army officer). There are indeed 3 tiers which USAA does not talk about but there are vast differences in pricing. The first tier is active and retired military (and I believe it is open now to enlisted). The second tier is USAA CIC (casualty insurance company) and that is the tier we are in - former dependents of first tier. Garrison is their third tier and what my children started in. Garrison is extremely expensive and not competitive. I shop our auto,home, and umbrella every couple of years. USAA rates for us are still the best. Occasionally an insurer will beat their rates but that is with underlying discounts that expire within 6M - 1yr.

We were lucky to jump on the 2.5% limitless cash back CC when it opened for application in our state. That card was only available for a short time in limited number of states but USAA has not closed that CC for current cardholders. Yet.

I will say that USAA is not even close to the same company we started with. They have greatly expanded eligibility and added a ton of financial products and services. I know people who have not have good experiences with them but we have always had exceptional service.
This is all going to be state specific. Nobody could touch the garrison rates in CA or HI for me, but garrison is horrible in AZ.
CRJPylote

Post by CRJPylote »

I'm in tier 2(child of officer)and they have been good to me, in my 20's and I get excellent rates, relative to my peers and the quotes I've gotten online.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

As others have pointed out this is going to be the very definition of a YMMV situation. The only way to find out is to get some quotes.

It is true the lower your tier the less likely USAA is to be competitive. I am a CIC member of USAA (tier 2). When I got divorced my ex who kept the same house and car as when married was left in CIC for a year during our separation. When the divorce was finalized she got dropped to GAR and her rates with no other changes for homeowners and automobile went up 30%+. She moved to Amica which gave her rates that were similar to USAA CIC. She only uses USAA for banking now.

I have a relative who is a former officer, member of USAA, and for about the last decade (he just retired, again) was a manager of a large upscale condo complex in a VHCOLA living area. He had to deal with multiple insurance companies on claims and he told me USAA was one of the easiest to deal with. Not saying he is unbiased but at least he has a large dataset to draw on.

Acknowledging that the plural of anecdote is not data but I know multiple folks who have GEICO and GEICO does seem much quicker to raise rates and/or drop folks in high risk pool vs USAA.
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

WolfgangPauli wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:26 am
Ifeel like both USAA and Vanguard are suffering from the same "disease". I guess because of a need for growth they are slowly abandoning the needs of those who go them where they are.

Having said that, I live in Florida and I would never leave USAA as the alternative could be a disaster. I shared all my USAA insurance with multiple independent agents in Florida and they all have said for me to stay where I am, they could not beat it either in service or even availability.
I've thought about that too. But there is one major difference, IMO. After Vietnam and the Cold War the military shrunk considerably. That significantly decreased USAA's target market of current and former officers. So they had to seek ways not only to grow but just to survive. Vanguard didn't face that challenge. But, your point is well taken and there are obviously a lot of parallels.
Friar1610
Gray

Post by Gray »

CCG84 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:14 pm With USAA it really depends on what tier you are in. You can find out which tier you are in if you look at your policy. Someone might have more details but it goes something like this:

USAA didn't like my wife's driving record and they had her at a crazy high rate (she was an employee of USAA with no previous claims). We switched to Amica and they have been good. USAA didn't try to win back our business and I had been a 10+ year member (enlisted military).
United Services Automobile Association (USAA) applies to: officers, pre commission officers. These are the real members of USAA and owners. They get a significant cut of the profits.

USAA Casualty Insurance Company (CIC) applies to: enlisted, ex-dependents of USAA eligible members

Garrison Property and Casualty Insurance Company (GAR) applies to: Adult children or ex-spouse of CIC/GIC/GAR sponsor

So, for example, my father is a member, I am CIC, and my daughter is with Garrison. At some point, we’ll shop her insurance needs around. As a university student, she is still on my auto policy and it’s pretty cheap.

I have seen the bait and switch (rate hikes) with Geico and Nationwide, for in-laws.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

Gray wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:20 pm

United Services Automobile Association (USAA) applies to: officers, pre commission officers. These are the real members of USAA and owners. They get a significant cut of the profits.

So, for example, my father is a member, I am CIC, and my daughter is with Garrison. At some point, we’ll shop her insurance needs around. As a university student, she is still on my auto policy and it’s pretty cheap.

I have seen the bait and switch (rate hikes) with Geico and Nationwide, for in-laws.

This isn't entirely accurate. I was enlisted, and i was insured by CIC. I separated and at some point after separating, they decided to move me to USAA. I have a Subscribers savings account with thousands of dollars in it, so yes, I am insured by USAA.