What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
blueblock

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by blueblock »

Elsebet wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:36 pm ...watched "My Octopus Teacher" streaming on Netflix...
Just watched. Wonderful! The filmmaker, a marine biologist, is a terrific storyteller and photographer.

Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s0LTDhqe5A
squirm

Post by squirm »

Airplane. LOL!
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

squirm wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:08 pm Airplane. LOL!
And don't call me Shirly.

(Somebody had to say it!)
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Watched Sidewalk Stories on TCM. It is a silent movie filmed in the 80's. Very good.

John
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
squirm

Post by squirm »

bertilak wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:13 pm
squirm wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:08 pm Airplane. LOL!
And don't call me Shirly.

(Somebody had to say it!)
There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Watched “Rocket Man”. Cole of nights ago and really enjoyed it.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:10 pm Parasite - DVD Rental

Not really sure what to think of this one. I can see where people may think it's overrated, while others think so highly of it. It almost defies categorization or description. The movie has so many layers, keeping you guessing, then shocking you with twists, flipping from social satire to dark comedy to horror to thriller then back again. At the very least, I found it quite the ride!
I watched Parasite two days ago - library borrowing. My sister recommended it and I'm glad she did. It was unusual but highly enjoyable.

Parasite movie releases free official wallpapers to download as backgrounds for video calls --- https://soranews24.com/2020/06/06/paras ... deo-calls/

I downloaded a couple of the wallpapers just in case I ever have a video call. :happy
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“The Bourne Identity” on Hulu. Liked it.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933) Joan Blondell, Ruby Keeler, Dick Powell, Ginger Rogers, Ned Sparks, Warren William, Guy Kibbee

A wealthy composer rescues unemployed Broadway performers with a new play.

A lot of pre-code fun and amazing dance numbers, though I could do without Dick Powell’s singing. Ned Sparks was good. Recommended.

Blonde Crazy (1931) Joan Blondell, James Cagney, Louis Calhern, Ray Milland, Guy Kibbee

The adventures of an egoistic con man and his glamorous accomplice.

Another pre-code depression-era film, I liked this better than the other one. Good performances. Recommended.

I streamed both of them on The Criterion Channel.
Chance favors the prepared mind. — Louis Pasteur
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“The Bourne Supremacy” on Hulu. Enjoyed it.
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

'The Perfect Weapon' on HBO, based on David Sanger's recent book.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeLHlOUNOmY
In under an hour and a half, The Perfect Weapon blisters through the proliferation of cyberwarfare in the last decade-plus: how offensive ransomware and disinformation campaigns have morphed from a undercover sideshow – as late as 2007, cyberwarfare was not even listed as a pressing concern on the US military’s threat assessment – into a relatively cheap, accessible and potentially devastating staple of international relations. “The asymmetry of this kind of warfare is very cost-efficient for countries that are under economic restrictions by the United States or otherwise,” said Maggio. Actors of middling economic power, such as Iran and North Korea, can strike debilitating and costly blows on American businesses, for example, at relatively little cost. Bugs like Stuxnet could disrupt electrical grids, shut down airports or derail vulnerable election infrastructure. The future of warfare, as Maggio sees it, is “no longer going to be boots on the ground, it’s going to be fingers on keyboards”.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/o ... entary-hbo
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

"The Mystery of a Hansom Cab", on Acorn.

"A man is murdered and the investigation into his death uncovers a trail of secrets and scandal."

The story is set in Australia in the late 1800's.

Watching it had the feel of reading a novel by Dickens, so it wasn't all that surprising to find out after watching the film that it was based upon a book by Australian Fergus Hume, originally published in 1886.

I might try reading some of his books now, or at least give them a try.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Transit (2018)

This film transposes a story from the WWII era to modern
times. I have never cared for a story set out of it's time,
like a version of Hamlet set in the 20th century. Aside
from the abstract story setting, the character interactions
and surprises around every corner redeem this movie
somewhat. Excellent acting by Franz Rogowski, who reminds
me of Joaquin Phoenix.
Viewed at a theater but it is available on Amazon Prime Video.
Not to be confused with Transit (2012), which is a totally
different story.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Spinal Tap, I'd like to write more about this movie, but I've gotta sit down in the lobby and wait for the limo.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

I was browsing the last few pages of this tread for ideas....

We recently watched "Black Box" (2020) on Amazon Prime. The work by the lead actor, Mamoudou Athie, is fantastic.
The movie is not a horror film; it's more in the nature of a sci-fi thriller.

Also watched "The Vast of Night" (2019) on Amazon Prime. It's a low-budget sci-fi film but there is a sequence of cinematography approx. midway in that is a wonder.
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

Kagord wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:04 pm Spinal Tap, I'd like to write more about this movie, but I've gotta sit down in the lobby and wait for the limo.
They’ve earned themselves a distinguished place in rock history as one of Britain’s loudest bands.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

"The Russian Bride". Thriller/Horror movie that starts rather classically, then jumps the shark into ever more gory and violent craziness, much of which strains credulity. I do not recommend it. :(

It stars Corbin Bernsen, whom I hadn't seen in anything since the L.A. Law TV show. His first movie was "Clambake".
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

"Kim" on Amazon Prime, based on the novel by Rudyard Kipling.

An excellent adventure story set in India in the 1880s. The main character is an orphaned British boy, played by a young Dean Stockwell. Also starring the very dashing Errol Flynn. When I was younger I was madly in love with Errol Flynn, and this movie reminded me why.

Fantastic scenery - the movie was actually filmed mostly in India in the 1940s.

I am digging through old movies on Amazon and trying to watch as many as possible. They just don't make movies like they used to!
If you're not working on yourself, you're not working.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Watching “The Bourne Ultimatum” on Hulu and enjoying it. That is three movies down.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

RoboCop, on Blu-ray DVD, PG-13, 2014 (remake of the 1987 version). A wounded Detroit cop becomes a cyborg. A good plot. Once things get going, there's plenty of action. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

I would like to post an antidote to my previous movie. I just watched this today:

"The life of purple rice, pumpkins, and … peanuts"
https://youtu.be/rJSZfrJFluw

It's a 23 minute short subject from China, farming and food-centric, possibly a documentary, maybe a commercial.
But it's full of color and light and good feelings. Very well done.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Secret of Roan Inish, on Amazon Prime.

This movie is a fantasy set in a fishing village on the West coast of Ireland in the 1940s, about a lost child and an abandoned family home on a nearby island Roan Inish (seal island).
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

The Chase on YouTube … 1946 B&W drama. Robert Cummings, Steve Cochren, Peter Lorre.

Unemployed man (Cummings) finds a wallet and returns it to the owner who turns out to be very rich. Owner is impressed with the man’s honesty and gives him a job as his chauffeur. But the very rich man turns out to be a very bad man. His wife wants to leave, but he won’t permit it. So the chauffeur helps her to escape to Havana where the thrills are just beginning. But just as things couldn’t be worse there’s a twist in the plot which resets the whole escape

This is the kind of movie my parents took me to at the drive in theatres when I was very, very young in the 1940s. I’d stay awake long enough to see the cartoons, and then go to sleep on the back seat while they watched the movie.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

tooluser wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:18 pm ....It stars Corbin Bernsen, whom I hadn't seen in anything since the L.A. Law TV show...
He was Shawn Spencer's father on Psych.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

One that I have seen before: What We Do in the Shadows. The 2014 film not the television show. A comedy gem.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Watched "Knives Out" with the wife last night. She liked it, I thought it was silly, unrealistic, and contrived (which was likely the point). It was OK, but not my cup of tea.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Bourne Ultimatum on Hulu. Enjoyed it.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

Moneyball is now on Netflix, LOVE this movie!!!!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Peanut Butter Falcon, on Amazon Prime.

This is a Huckelberry Finn type story about a young man with Down syndrome who escapes from an assisted living facility and wants to become a pro wrestler, he is befriended by a fisherman, the two build and and travel on a raft, while a social worker pursues the runaway. We enjoyed the movie.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started